closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Watch part identification please.

Watch part identification please.

Just been correcting a misaligned date wheel on a Valjoux 7734. Turned out that the date jumper thingy was incorrectly installed. Anyway, sorted now.
    However, when reassembling I seem to have this part over. Does anyone know where this part should go please?
    Many thanks for any help.

Sent from my SM-F936B using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Alpha4; 4th October 2022 at 16:57.

Yes, secures the movement to a groove in the case, generally 2 of them.

Ahh! Thanks. I only have one of these - but two screws. I'll have to try to source another. Just one further question - does the curved end or the square end go into the case groove?

Great info.Thanks all. Now then, what do I search for (name of item) and where please? Promise these are the last questions (for today :-)

Grand Master
    The part is called a case clamp. Parts don't disappear into thin air, I suggest the OP has a good look for the lost part. A magnet is useful and a hanky over the hose of a vacuum cleaner is another trick if a part has been dropped on a carpet.

A bit like shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted, but you should ALWAYS take photos at each stage of dismantling, then you know how to put the thing back together. After 11 years and almost 600 watches I still do this when dealing with something I'm not familiar with.

If the part doesn`t turn up I advise buying the ones off eBay and trimming to fit. A diamond file plate and either a small vice or small flat-bladed pliers will be needed, working on tiny parts isn`t easy.

Fitting and removing the case clamps is the easy bit compared to removing the hands and dial then fixing the date issue!

If the Op is really stuck I could find a spare one, trim it to fit and supply it for a modest fee, but I would need to know the dimensions. That'll require careful measuring with a digital caliper.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    The part is called a case clamp. Parts don't disappear into thin air, I suggest the OP has a good look for the lost part. A magnet is useful and a hanky over the hose of a vacuum cleaner is another trick if a part has been dropped on a carpet.

A bit like shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted, but you should ALWAYS take photos at each stage of dismantling, then you know how to put the thing back together. After 11 years and almost 600 watches I still do this when dealing with something I'm not familiar with.

If the part doesn`t turn up I advise buying the ones off eBay and trimming to fit. A diamond file plate and either a small vice or small flat-bladed pliers will be needed, working on tiny parts isn`t easy.

Fitting and removing the case clamps is the easy bit compared to removing the hands and dial then fixing the date issue!

If the Op is really stuck I could find a spare one, trim it to fit and supply it for a modest fee, but I would need to know the dimensions. That'll require careful measuring with a digital caliper.
    Ref Case Clamp- That is really kind of you. I will see if I have a clamp in an old donor watch, but if I can't find one I will measure the one I have and contact you.

Ref Carpet. - No there was only one originally. I went over the carpet with a torch after the date jumper spring sprung whilst I was trying to install it . The watch is an old chrono and had been 'messed with' quite a bit before I purchased it. Anyone who can install a date jumper the wrong way around can certainly lose a clamp I suppose.

Cheers all.