closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Longines....

Longines....

I've been looking at Longines of late, particularly some of their Heritage models (Skin Diver, Heritage Classic etc) and at face value they seem to be cracking value for what you get compared to their Swatch stablemates Omega. I'd be interested to get your thoughts on the differences between Longines and Omega at a higher level so I mean Longines £1700 and up vs an Aqua Terra etc - obviously no point comparing a Hydroconquest with a Planet Ocean for example.

This is the only watch that I promise not to sell ....ever.

Trimis de pe al meu SM-N975F folosind Tapatalk

It’s all personal preference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    £200 under your price threshold, but I love this. Just a beautiful piece that feels nearer the Omega range.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

I currently own a Longines "1954" chrono, which I nearly sold on here a few years ago, but have become increasingly glad I didn't because honestly, the best I can describe it is the prettiest watch I've ever owned. It cost me £1k from a discount seller (I think the RRP was about £1,400 at the time; it's now discontinued, but I'd guess it would fall around the £1,800 price point today). I don't have a huge amount of experience with Omega (I've got a 70s Speedsonic and previously owned another vintage f300), but from based on what I've seen/handled I would say the fit and finish you get from Longines is generally just as good, at around half the price. Of course with the Omega you'd get a much better movement.

Photos don't really do it justice because it's got so many different shiny surfaces it's pretty much impossible to photograph:

Things to note:

• The sweeping curve of the lugs is just stunning. This isn't just some generic case. Someone put a lot of effort into designing it to achieve a particular overall style.
    • The crystal is a subtle double-domed sapphire that's almost invisible most of the time.
    • The finish of the date window is exceptional compared to anything else at a similar price point. You can see the sharp bevelling in the photo. Under a loupe, you can see that it's been bevelled and then finished with the same sunburst effect as the rest of the dial (just not radial).
    • The applied indice markers are extremely well finished. Maybe not quite GS standards, but far better than anything I've seen for the price. The edges are razor sharp under a loupe and the surfaces are genuinely mirror polished.
    • Those are not normal Dauphine hands. The top of the hands follow a continuous curve, so they reflect any available light. I still don't know if that has a name. I haven't seen it on any other watch.
    • Something you can't really see here is the attention to finish between the lugs, which is often missed or used as a place to "hide" unsightly edges.

This watch is 100% about how the different elements catch light differently. The silver sunburst dial has a satin finish, then you have the sharp angular, highly polished markers and the smooth curve of the case and hands. For what is a fairly unknown model, it really is a tour-de-force of both design and execution. If you tried to do the same thing without the same level of finish and attention to detail, the whole concept would just fall down completely.

The only reason I considered selling this at all is that it sits in a slightly odd place between being extremely dressy, vs a sports watch. I think it's a fair generalisation that Longines tend to lean dressy, whereas Omega tend to lean casual. I have gradually come to terms with the fact that if I need a dress watch, I'm just going to wear this because it looks far better than the kind of simple white dress watch that early 20th century social convention dictates. Until such times as I can afford an Eichi II, I don't think anything else is going to quite cut it for me.

I also had an LLD for a while and that's a superb watch, but I think it's let down a bit by the slightly rattly bezel and nothing-special finishing. As the prices have been steadily creeping up, it's no longer the same level of VFM it once was. It's quite rightly very popular, so this isn't that surprising. It's a 10/10 for design but 6/10 for execution relative to what Longines are actually capable of at the same price point.

I have a Longines Heritage Military 38.5mm watch. It fits my 7.25" wrist well, has a finely finished case and is well regulated, it gains a couple of seconds a day. I like the heat blued hands and the dial color is a nice change of pace from my black dialed watches. I don't have an Aqua Terra but I do have several Speedmaster Pros and an SM300. This Longines watch wears with a different vibe but build quality and case finishing is pretty much on par with the Omegas. Timekeeping is comparable, the domed sapphire crystal is superb. I love the huge crown, probably my favorite feature of the watch. The supplied straps are nothing to write home about and it has 19mm lugs which is less than ideal. I've been wearing it on a 20mm Rios1931 Juchten strap which squeezed in with no issues. It's not ideal and I have another pigskin strap inbound I hope suits the watch better.

Longines....

Quote Originally Posted by robt View Post
    I currently own a Longines "1954" chrono, which I nearly sold on here a few years ago, but have become increasingly glad I didn't because honestly, the best I can describe it is the prettiest watch I've ever owned.
    The silver dialled 1954 with blued hands was my first ‘proper’ brand new watch purchase. I think I discovered this place just after I got it and the rest is history! I still regret selling it. I’ve had a soft spot for Longines ever since.

I currently have a 38.5mm Master Collection. Fantastic watches, particularly the Heritage range.

Last edited by Mr Tetley; 23rd May 2020 at 17:28.

A good brand, although a tad devalued these days.

However, they make some very nice 'heritage' models and have a great attitude to customers - I got details of my 100+ year pocket watch from them.

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Many years ago I inherited my grandfathers retirement Longines.
    With some trepidation I walked into WoS and asked about having it restored by Longines. After the bloke in Wos stopped laughing he agreed to send it off to Switzerland but warned me it would be immpossible or if not immpossible it would be expensive. It proved to be vey possible for Longines and not at all expensive. Still got the watch, still a WoS customer.

Got a few vintange Longine as well now. Liking the look of some of the new editions. Probably have to scratch the itch.

Grand Master
    The 1950s and 60s watches were excellent quality, I`ve worked on a few and restored one that I ended up selling. Another brand that had its historical prestige devalued by Swatch Group.

Big Longines fan here. I've has countless...LLD, three different types of Conquest heritage, two or three hydroconquest divers, moonphase chrono, bigeye chrono...probably a few more I can't remember.

They are extremely good value for money although I did find the hydroconquest divers to not feel quite as solid or finely detailed as a comparable Omega diver.

The one I regret selling the most? Probably the triple date moonphase....it was a really nice watch. I really fancy the slightly more modern updated version of it...

Longines....

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    A good brand, although a tad devalued these days.

However, they make some very nice 'heritage' models and have a great attitude to customers - I got details of my 100+ year pocket watch from them.

M
    You reminded me, I’ve had two ‘extract from the Archives’ from them. One for a vintage and one more modern day. Gives details on the watch, year it was sent to the dealer and country it was originally sent to. A service they provide free of charge.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    obviously no point comparing a Hydroconquest with a Planet Ocean for example.
    I’m not so sure. I’ve never owned a PO but have had a Hydroconquest and a Seamaster. This was probably about ten years ago, the Hydroconquest cost about £700 and the Seamaster at least double that, yet the Longines seemed to be the better made, finished and accurate watch. Seamaster soon departed and, when it was time to move the HC on I sold it to a colleague who had long admired it, and he promptly sold his Omega too.

Currently got a huge Type A7 which is very well made. It did have to go back to Longines as soon as I received it but I put that down to the fact that it had sat in the AD’s safe for several years before I bought it. The turnaround of the repair was the quickest I’ve experienced from any of the big makers.

I have owned a few Longines watches including a retrograde which is one of their more higher end watches with a custom made movement for Longines. Other than the case being quite thick the watch was faultless in fact one of my watch selling regrets. The build quality was excellent from the dial, blued hands and the accuracy was top notch. Just about the only criticism I can think of for Longines are their leather straps which are frankly awful regardless of the watch.

Problems with Longines though are a few, first they need to be found at significant discount to be comfortable with your purchase and secondly they seem to be trying to bump the retail price up to where Omega used to be which means they are starting to be less of a bargain and brands like Hamilton and Union seem to be quickly occupying that spot. In comparison to Omega, depends on the watch really but if I compare similar Longines watches I have owned to Omega it would be a DeVille perhaps. Given the choice I would probably buy a Longines and I do own 2 Omega watches.

Thanks guys. These are the 2 models I'm thinking about. I'll wait to see what happens with the pandemic first and as soon as it seems things are stable I'll select one

Thanks guys. These are the 2 models I'm thinking about. I'll wait to see what happens with the pandemic first and as soon as it seems things are stable I'll select one
    I checked just about every local Longines AD before the lockdown the sector dial was no where to be seen. Very strange given it had been out for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by TAFKARM View Post
    I checked just about every local Longines AD before the lockdown the sector dial was no where to be seen. Very strange given it had been out for a while.
    Available at around 20% off at uk ad now with voucher code

Journeyman
    Available at around 20% off at uk ad now with voucher code
    Which AD is this?

Quote Originally Posted by Rasmus_ep View Post
    Which AD is this?
    Ah its 15%

First class watches using CYBER15

I was able to get mine new with a 25% discount from an AD in California. Perhaps an AD in the UK will do the same.

I can get a staff discount through a friend at an AD so 40% off but would need to wait until AD is open and I'd rather use the discount on something more valuable as it works on anything up to a £7500 RRP but can only be used once so if you use it on a £1900 longines you lose the remaining £5600 allocation.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Tetley View Post
    You reminded me, I’ve had two ‘extract from the Archives’ from them. One for a vintage and one more modern day. Gives details on the watch, year it was sent to the dealer and country it was originally sent to. A service they provide free of charge.
    Yes, it's a great service which your message prompted me to use for my latest Longines acquisition.

I just got the reply today.

Quote Originally Posted by Longines
    Further to your request, we are pleased to provide the information contained in Longines' handwritten registers.

Originally, the serial number XXXXXXXXX identifies a wristwatch in stainless steel bearing the reference 8477, part of the Ultronic collection. It is fitted with a tuning-fork movement, caliber 6312 and was invoiced in 1971 to the company Longines-Wittnauer Watch Co., INC., which was at that time our agent for North America.

Yes, it's a great service which your message prompted me to use for my latest Longines acquisition.

I just got the reply today.
    Excellent. Did you ask for the paper copy also? It’s a lovely little certificate. Nice to have, especially for free. I believe Omega charge around £100 for the same privilege.

Master
    I think Longines now occupy the slot where Omega were about twenty years ago.

Certainly a watch I have looked at several times over the last few years, I think they are well built and good value for money.

When I was looking for a quartz diver a few years ago it was the Hydroconquest I went into the AD for and would have bought it had it not been for the 27% discount I was offered on the Omega SMP300 which I could not resist!

Back from a short service....
    I've managed to pull out the crown when setting the hour....
    The fixing cost me 20euro :)
    Now....trying new straps....

Trimis de pe al meu SM-N975F folosind Tapatalk

Big Longines fan. Mainly the old stuff, but that sector dial is whispering to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Tetley View Post
    Excellent. Did you ask for the paper copy also? It’s a lovely little certificate. Nice to have, especially for free. I believe Omega charge around £100 for the same privilege.
    I didn't know that was an option.

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk

I didn't know that was an option.

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    Check out the info here:

https://www.longines.com/certificate-of-authenticity

In addition to the email info you received, you can request FOC a paper copy of the ‘extract of the archives’. It’s a nicely presented little ‘certificate’.

There is a third option of a signed “Certificate of Authenticity’ but this costs 120CHF and the watch has to be sent in to Longines.