TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Smiths Navigator prototype

Master
    I think he will be.

Demand is going to soar!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    The Internet will explode next Wednesday when ID Guy uploads his review of the prototypes. Here's his channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzf...able_polymer=1

Then they're off to Tim at Caseback Reviews - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dw4YbS3Q9gE&t=421s

and then if he's interested, maybe Jody would like a look - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZX9q83r4jfQ&t=173s

Eddie
    You'll be moving to Dore or Totley next year.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Apprentice
    If this is the case Eddie you'll definitely need to change the movement going forward.

Still no thoughts on any other hand wound movement that could be used? If you're not able to get one initially then 12 months is a long time to wait.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Very nice Eddie, my watch ban is going to have to be broken for this. Fingers ready as will be sold in a flash. Very happy to see the coverage you're getting. Excellent! A good few months to flip between which dial. I was thinking black, but the cream is equally as nice.

Craftsman
    Just watched the IDGuy YouTube video and it does look great.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

"Great" is an understatement. I seems to feel exactly like a Mk11.
    Tremendously well done Eddie!
    Brane

The watch looks good but I have to say I don't like the bezel. To my eye, it should be brushed, not polished and the profile, as discussed earlier/elsewhere, looks a little odd.

Martin

Craftsman
    Watched the youtube video yesterday this looks great, I don't think Eddie normally gives the price before the listing but is there any indication of cost so far?

Master
    Eddie, what happened to the hooked 7?

Apprentice
    Eddie, considering all the feedback that you received on the prototypes, do you plan to introduce any changes to the final version that will go into production?

P. S. I watched the IDGuy review yesterday and both models look stunning.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinCRC View Post
    The watch looks good but I have to say I don't like the bezel. To my eye, it should be brushed, not polished and the profile, as discussed earlier/elsewhere, looks a little odd.

Martin
    This. A beautiful watch for sure. I don't mind the polished bezel but I am still a little hesitant with the top profile of the bezel and the seconds hand. I suspect that this is the finished version now, is it?

Quote Originally Posted by alx.lago View Post
    Eddie, considering all the feedback that you received on the prototypes, do you plan to introduce any changes to the final version that will go into production?

P. S. I watched the IDGuy review yesterday and both models look stunning.
    I don't see the need for any changes, you've got to make the call at some point.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

I don't see the need for any changes, you've got to make the call at some point.

Eddie
    Hear hear!
    F.T.F.A.

Master

Eddie
    You're 100% spot on. Its a brilliant watch - don't try fixing something that isn't broken 👍

Craftsman
    End up with no watch with agreement by committee. Looks fab to me and I'll try my hardest to get one when they go on sale

Apprentice
    Both models are looking great. This release is at the top of my "wanted for 2020" list now that I have my Everest.

I'm also pleased to see that these watches and Smiths in general are getting a bit more recognition outside these forums as they are beautiful watches.

Eagerly waiting for October/November.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinCRC View Post

Martin
    Re: The polished bezel. Now that you mentioned it, I cannot unsee it. I wonder what the thinking behind it might be. Is this the final version? I might even prefer it polished. I just don't know.
    "Owning one is almost as satisfying as making one." ~ Rolex 1973

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    Re: The polished bezel. Now that you mentioned it, I cannot unsee it. I wonder what the thinking behind it might be. Is this the final version? I might even prefer it polished. I just don't know.
    Perhaps you should ''phone a friend''.

I think the polished bezel looks good especially in the video review. Looks very classy, but less like a tool watch....

I too think it looks great, and I wonder whether the original was also polished.
    It may well have been, all the pictures I see look like a polished bezel with wear marks, rather than a brushed one.

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    I too think it looks great, and I wonder whether the original was also polished.
    It may well have been, all the pictures I see look like a polished bezel with wear marks, rather than a brushed one.
    That’s a good point. All the examples I see online look like they’ve had a tough life so hard to tell!

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Smiths Navigator prototype

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    Crisp edges and brushed surfaces, they’ve become rounded and polished with age, use and polishing. This is inevitable, they are 70 and in my opinion in no way diminishes their attractiveness, but you know what fussy collectors can be like.

Apologies if you already know this, but there are two posters on MWR who know the specifications of IWC & JLC MK11s, Omega 53, Smiths GS inside out, Thomas Koenig and Kenneth Gordon.

They wrote two reference articles that appeared in the BHI journal:

Man Is Not Lost - an account of the MK11 navigational wristwatch (TK)

Zulu Time - the British military general service wristwatch (KG)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BillyCasper; 12th June 2020 at 11:39.

Apprentice
    The only thing that I would change are the five minute markers. They seem to be thicker than the normal minute markers on the original Mark XI. On the Navigator they seem to have the same size.

Eddie
    That one looks like it was polished when it left the factory

Journeyman
    Thank you to BillyCasper for his reference to an article in the BHI journal about the Mk11. It's a very interesting read. Here's the link in case anyone else wants to take a look:

https://www.gregsteer.net/IWC/Mark_11/mark11a-en.pdf

Thanks for sharing!!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Shubs View Post
    Thank you to BillyCasper for his reference to an article in the BHI journal about the Mk11. It's a very interesting read. Here's the link in case anyone else wants to take a look:

Thanks and I should have referenced Greg Steer as an author of the article in my post above, apologies.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Shubs View Post

Great article, thanks for sharing. My main take away is the watch should be on a Bonklip bracelet.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Eddie,

Are these available yet if not when?

Regards,
    M

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by milwatch126 View Post
    Eddie,

Are these available yet if not when?

Regards,
    M
    They are not yet available. The prototypes are making their way around for review. I am not sure exactly when they will be available, but it was mentioned in the 2 reviews on you tube that it could be September/October time frame. Eddie may not know for sure as I believe the final hurdle is receiving the Sellita movements and hopefully at that time Eddie will be able to determine the price.

Having an interest in the new 'Navigator' so far as I can ascertain, they look likely to be available sometime after August and price wise Eddie has a figure circa £500, all subject to the movements arriving within the time frame and price / currency fluctuations when the watches are shipped to him, obviously he will be then be able to finalise the cost.

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Having an interest in the new 'Navigator' so far as I can ascertain, they look likely to be available sometime after August and price wise Eddie has a figure circa £500, all subject to the movements arriving within the time frame and price / currency fluctuations when the watches are shipped to him, obviously he will be then be able to finalise the cost.

Great! Let's be patient.

Apprentice
    Getting more and more excited for these after seeing the watches “live” on the IDGuy and Caseback Watches videos. Only question now is black or cream dial, hmm...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Thanks for the info Number2, will be looking towards August or later for this great watch. PATIENTS IS A VIRTUE.

Apprentice
    The announcement of this beautiful watch made my day.
    I enjoy the Everest and the PRS-29a very much, but when this one comes in.. I don't think i will be wearing another watch for weeks.
    You are on a roll Eddie, Fantastic!

Quote Originally Posted by kneadking View Post
    PATIENTS IS A VIRTUE.
    My ex Mother in Law used to say this!
    Patience is a virtue,
    Use it where you can,
    Always in a woman,
    Never in a man! 😁
    This watch will be a sellout!

So much temptation. The Navigator, the Smiths 'Willard' and the Caribbean. A tasty trio.

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves

Just when I thought I had all the watches I'd ever want, and having promised my better half that I wouldn't be buying anymore, the Navigator appears.

The tentative release date of August coincides with my birthday as well, so I'm having a hard time not justifying a purchase.

I'm set on the black version, but they both appeal to me, and the video reviews are only making things worse.

Well, promises are made to be broken, aren't they?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandpiper View Post
    Just when I thought I had all the watches I'd ever want, and having promised my better half that I wouldn't be buying anymore, the Navigator appears.

The tentative release date of August coincides with my birthday as well, so I'm having a hard time not justifying a purchase.

I'm set on the black version, but they both appeal to me, and the video reviews are only making things worse.

Well, promises are made to be broken, aren't they?
    Buy yourself the black one, and your wife the white. If she doesn’t like it then you can have that too!

Quote Originally Posted by KAS118 View Post
    Buy yourself the black one, and your wife the white. If she doesn’t like it then you can have that too!

Good plan! That's a win win either way.

I love the black dial. Apart from it being a stellar design in military watches, it just looks great in all aspects. I know you can’t please everyone, but I think you’ve done a hell of a job with getting this available to us. Thanks.

I would love it if there was a way to get this in a quartz as I think this is one of the most visually appealing watches... but I want it as a beater. I know nothing about watch ordering and movement sizes and I suspect there is a minimum order of cases dials hands etc etc making it not feasible.

Regardless... I’ll try to order one anyway.

Smiths Navigator prototype

Has there been any confirmation from Sellita on delivery of the movements? Hoping they are a little late so my wallet will thank me.

Last edited by Nastadon; 7th July 2020 at 19:49.

Quote Originally Posted by Nastadon View Post
    Has there been any confirmation from Sellita on delivery of the movements? Hoping they are a little late so my wallet will thank me.

It seems delivery could be this week as they asked for (and received) the balance payment last week.

Eddie

Master
    That's good news Eddie, very much looking forward to the release of this watch.

Apprentice
    Looking forward to seeing this one. I am also wondering when the big release will be unveiled.

Already memorizing my credit card number and doing typing drills in preparation! :)

I know it is a little perverse but I’m enjoying my dislike of the Navigator. The polished bezel is my main problem but there is more including the lug shape.

It will be a great watch, I have no doubt of that, just not to my taste.

I love it because it confirms my conviction that the current iteration of the PRS-29 military is the only hand-wind three hand watch I want at any price.

Quote Originally Posted by raysablade View Post
    I know it is a little perverse but I’m enjoying my dislike of the Navigator. The polished bezel is my main problem but there is more including the lug shape.

It will be a great watch, I have no doubt of that, just not to my taste.

I love it because it confirms my conviction that the current iteration of the PRS-29 military is the only hand-wind three hand watch I want at any price.
    I’m 100% with you on this! Don’t get me wrong - the Navigator looks fantastic and I know there will be delighted owners, but for me the PRS-29A is just so right. I think because it mirrors the W10 so faithfully which for me embodies the Antoine de Saint-Exupery quote “A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.”