closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Smiths Navigator prototype

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    That is a JLC. It has completely different parameters, though it looks quite similar.
    Thank you for helping me read the logo. You've missed my point, but never mind, it wasn't at all important.

Craftsman
    Don't care what the point is .....what a fantastic white 12 JLC, thanks for posting it. Lucky you!
    Last edited by size11s; 26th May 2020 at 20:32.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Thank you for helping me read the logo. You've missed my point, but never mind, it wasn't at all important.

I was aware of what you were referring to. I just couldn't understand why you were using a JLC as an example.

IWC:

Top: 1mm
    Side: 1mm
    Bottom: 1mm

JLC:

Top: 1mm
    Side: 2.5mm
    Bottom: 0.5mm

On both the top edge is identical at around 1mm. But as Eddie explained the reason it couldn't be done that way was because of the way a sapphire needs to be mounted, with the thickness of the crystal taking up the space.
    Last edited by abraxas; 26th May 2020 at 21:54.
    "The whole purpose of mechanical watches is to be impertinent." ~ Lionel a Marca, CEO of Breguet

No, you still haven't understood me, but as I say, it isn't at all important and in any case my post wasn't in reply to yours.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post

Eddie
    That helps, thanks.

Apprentice
    Just a comment about the quantity. I ordered 300 of the Sellita SW210 "Top" last November and they are due to be delivered in July, although I don't know if that's still the case with all that's been happening. To get more of the Sellita will take at least 12 months and there's no ETA to be had.
    Eddie
    We should probably start getting used to quality japanese movements, since it is becoming increasingly difficult to source swiss movements...

Quote Originally Posted by TomasC View Post
    We should probably start getting used to quality japanese movements, since it is becoming increasingly difficult to source swiss movements...
    Apparently Ronda mechical movements will be available soon (ETA2824 clone), Zeno is already using them.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Quote Originally Posted by TomasC View Post
    Agreed - are there any handwound options?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apparently Ronda mechical movements will be available soon (ETA2824 clone), Zeno is already using them.

Eddie
    That’s good news!

Apprentice

Eddie
    Any way of producing these quicker would be great

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Journeyman

Eddie
    If the diagonal part was a little bit less high, then the flat top surface area would increase. ;-)

In order to ensure the bezel height remains the same, the vertical surface of the bezel would increase proportionate with the diagonal part height decrease.
    Last edited by grizzlymambo; 27th May 2020 at 20:45.

Craftsman

Eddie
    Do you know if they make a hand wind only movement (ETA 2801/Selitta SW210 Clone).

Quote Originally Posted by kneadking View Post
    Do you know if they make a hand wind only movement (ETA 2801/Selitta SW210 Clone).
    No, they only have the one mechanical movement so far.

Eddie

Journeyman
    If anyone is interested, here is an article on the Ronda movement.

https://watch-movements.eu/blog/en/2...der-the-loupe/

At this stage I would prefer a top grade Sellita movement, but it will no doubt be an interesting alternative (along with Soprod movements) going forward.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Shubs View Post
    If anyone is interested, here is an article on the Ronda movement.

https://watch-movements.eu/blog/en/2...der-the-loupe/

At this stage I would prefer a top grade Sellita movement, but it will no doubt be an interesting alternative (along with Soprod movements) going forward.
    The Selitta SW210 top grade is what Eddie is putting in the Navigator but he only has 300 ordered and it will take another 12 months or so to order more so I think people were throwing around ideas as to alternative movements that might fill in. I know that Miyota makes some hand wound movements such as the 6T33 which is a no date 28,800 bph and the 8N33 which is a 21,600 bph, but unsure of there availability.

Apprentice
    I, for one, am thoroughly excited about the Top Grade SW210. This one should be a joy to wind and wear.
    Last edited by Wristandfeet; 30th May 2020 at 03:53.

Apprentice

Signed brushed tang buckle

The deployant is so nicely done. Wondering if there would be an option to add a similarly designed tang/pin buckle that is brushed with the crown boobie logo? I am sure quite a few of us would prefer the simple buckle to the deployant, and seems like a relatively inexpensive add. Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Wristandfeet View Post
    The deployant is so nicely done. Wondering if there would be an option to add a similarly designed tang/pin buckle that is brushed with the crown boobie logo? I am sure quite a few of us would prefer the simple buckle to the deployant, and seems like a relatively inexpensive add. Just a thought.
    +1 agreed, would be a nice option!

Apprentice

Hour and minute hand proportions on white dial

On the black dial, the hour and minute hands seem very well proportioned, while on the while dial, the hour hand appears significantly fatter than the minute hand, despite the two handsets having the exact same dimensions.

I believe what’s contributing to this is the fact that the black dial hands have silver borders around the lume, while the white dial version has blue borders that more sharply contrasts with the lume. As a result, visually, my eyes register the proportion of the hands in their entirety on the black dial, but on the white dial, what visually jumps out is the fatness and thinness of only the lume sections of the hands.

My novice personal preference would be to make the hour hands just a tad narrower on the white dial to address the above. Of course, I completely recognize that it may be infeasible at this point in time, or increases production cost because of differing dimensions of hour hands across the two variants.

Just really excited about the white dial blue hands combo is all =)

Craftsman
    Looking at photos again, it does look like the minute and second hands need to be but shorter, so they don't go to the edge of the seconds markers.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

On the black dial, the hour and minute hands seem very well proportioned, while on the while dial, the hour hand appears significantly fatter than the minute hand, despite the two handsets having the exact same dimensions.
    They'll probably look a lot more similar up close than they do in photos because that optical illusion will change a bit as the angle of light hitting the face changes, especially the black dial with silver hands. Regardless, the hour hand is meant to be fatter than the minute hand, for readability. See link and previous discussions.

It's becoming harder and harder to choose which Smiths to buy..haha...can't have 'em all lol

Quote Originally Posted by lexminute View Post
    It's becoming harder and harder to choose which Smiths to buy..haha...can't have 'em all lol
    Opening 6 minutes every 2 weeks will mean it is harder and harder to get anything at all, let alone choose it and get it.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by robt View Post
    They'll probably look a lot more similar up close than they do in photos because that optical illusion will change a bit as the angle of light hitting the face changes, especially the black dial with silver hands. Regardless, the hour hand is meant to be fatter than the minute hand, for readability. See link and previous discussions.
    Understand completely. I suspect hat the purists would mostly end up choosing the black over the white. So the black dial should most definitely adhere to MK XI specs as closely as possible.

But there is a different group who appreciates the design and heritage of the MK XI, but wants something slightly different - possibly because they already own the original Mark XI (yours truly). I believe this describes the prospective owners of the white dial version quite well. And to these collectors, the trade-off between heritage and overall balance would lean towards the latter, relative to the purists.

In short, I think there could be a little more wiggle room on the white dial to tweak design elements to achieve what one perceives to be "better balance". While on the black dial, I wholeheartedly agree that the design should faithfully adhere to that of the Mark XI.

But I think the balance on the white is great.
    And it would look identical to the black dial if it were facing something pale and the silver hands reflected that.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    But I think the balance on the white is great.
    And it would look identical to the black dial if it were facing something pale and the silver hands reflected that.
    Well said. And while my opinion differs, I will be among the first to place an order for the white version in it's current configuration. It's one of those features that I will surely grow fond of with sufficient wrist time.

Apprentice

Case thickness?

I may have missed it, but couldn’t find info on case thickness from the spec sheet. From photos, it appears a hair thinner than PRS29A.

Could anyone provide addition information?

Thank you!

Craftsman
    I may have missed it, but couldn’t find info on case thickness from the spec sheet. From photos, it appears a hair thinner than PRS29A.

Could anyone provide addition information?

Thank you!
    Eddie will probably have to answer that as I don't believe that number was given in the original drawings. I know that the case thickness of the PRS-29a is 11.1mm so it is probably in that area + or -.

Journeyman
    It is going to be a tough call between a white dial Everest and a white dial Navigator.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBluefish View Post
    It is going to be a tough call between a white dial Everest and a white dial Navigator.
    Hmmm, I'm having the same thought's re explorer and navigator.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBluefish View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Hmmm, I'm having the same thought's re explorer and navigator.
    Hmmm... 🤔 for me I think its the Navigator - mainly because its got the Top Grade Sellita Movement in it and so far I haven't got a watch with one of those. I'm not knocking the Miyota's at all - as my personal experience is that they're a very fine movement - its just that I've already have those movements.

The Navigator looks really special but the Explorer with a Smiths booby logo could clinch the deal with me, movement wise I'm afraid I don't get too excited about what's under the bonnet.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by KAS118 View Post
    Hmmm... 樂 for me I think its the Navigator - mainly because its got the Top Grade Sellita Movement in it and so far I haven't got a watch with one of those. I'm not knocking the Miyota's at all - as my personal experience is that they're a very fine movement - its just that I've already have those movements.
    I agree with you on that one. I really am a manual wind lover and with a top grade movement I really get to have my cake and eat it to. Do kind of wish there was a display caseback option to be able to see that movement.

Navigator, cost wise - is there a ''ball park figure'' as yet?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Navigator, cost wise - is there a ''ball park figure'' as yet?
    Kind of wondered that myself. Guess Eddie probably has some numbers somewhere for us, guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Kind of wondered that myself. Guess Eddie probably has some numbers somewhere for us, guess we'll just have to wait and see.
    I have some numbers from last year but as I previously mentioned, you have to pay the price that the movements are at the time of delivery which is inevitably more than the price at the time of ordering.

Eddie

Master
    Given its RAF heritage - will this watch also be 'negative pressure tested' like the Speedbird is?

Also - are there any lume shots available?

Craftsman
    I have some numbers from last year but as I previously mentioned, you have to pay the price that the movements are at the time of delivery which is inevitably more than the price at the time of ordering.

Eddie
    Thanks for the info Eddie. I guess I missed that post. It must work differently with ordering movements, but then again I have never ordered movements before but I just figured that when you place an order for a product you pay the price at the time of ordering. But they probably require a down payment with balance due when order complete and that is when the total price is figured.

Thanks for the info Eddie. I guess I missed that post. It must work differently with ordering movements, but then again I have never ordered movements before but I just figured that when you place an order for a product you pay the price at the time of ordering. But they probably require a down payment with balance due when order complete and that is when the total price is figured.
    No, it works like it does with Rolex. You order a Daytona today and when it arrives in 5 years time, you pay the current price.

Eddie

Blog Entries
    No, it works like it does with Rolex. You order a Daytona today and when it arrives in 5 years time, you pay the current price.

Eddie

Didn't know that about Rolex, every day is a learning day.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Apprentice
    Anyone deciding between this and the speedbird 36?

Sent from my MI MAX 3 using Tapatalk

I love this and the speedbird 36. Hard choice. Similar and yet very different.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by allanzzz View Post

Yeah, that is going to be a hard choice.

I guess the Sppedbird will have a Date, Bracelet and be an Auto; whereas the Smiths will have Boobies and be a Manual

Not sure if the Speedbird is getting the Top Grade Sellita as the MkIII version did?

Journeyman
    Really, like this. The black dial for me though. I just wish we could drop the boobies logo. Just a simple Smiths would look so much better..... This is mainly because I cannot stop seeing boobies when I look at the logo and it looks like it is trying to be similar to the Rolex crown.
    Last edited by muffle; 5th June 2020 at 15:19.

Quote Originally Posted by allanzzz View Post
    Not to derail, but I haven't heard anything about a Speedbird 36...
    All the SB discussion threads seem to have petered out years ago.
    Appreciate if you can link me to any recent updates. Thanks!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by redhed18 View Post
    Not to derail, but I haven't heard anything about a Speedbird 36...
    All the SB discussion threads seem to have petered out years ago.
    Appreciate if you can link me to any recent updates. Thanks!
    The Timefactors Facebook page had a photo of it - posted 29 February 2020. Also a Baby Dreadnought and a Baby Willard

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by muffle View Post
    Really, like this. The black dial for me though. I just wish we could drop the boobies logo. Just a simple Smiths would look so much better..... This is mainly because I cannot stop seeing boobies when I look at the logo and it looks like it is trying to be similar to the Rolex crown.
    Have to disagree I'm afraid - the Boobies logo really suits it IMHO

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by KAS118 View Post
    Yeah, that is going to be a hard choice.

I guess the Sppedbird will have a Date, Bracelet and be an Auto; whereas the Smiths will have Boobies and be a Manual

Not sure if the Speedbird is getting the Top Grade Sellita as the MkIII version did?
    The speedbird 36 is the miyota 9015 and yes the photos is showing a date.

Not sure if navigator or speedier 36 will be released first.

Hot off the press.... People keep mentioning it so here are the new "Baby" range
    https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?t=473452

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

The Internet will explode next Wednesday when ID Guy uploads his review of the prototypes. Here's his channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzf...able_polymer=1

Then they're off to Tim at Caseback Reviews - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dw4YbS3Q9gE&t=421s

and then if he's interested, maybe Jody would like a look - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZX9q83r4jfQ&t=173s

Eddie