closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Watch winding tool speedmaster?

Craftsman

Watch winding tool speedmaster?

Hi folks,

In love with all aspects of my speedmaster moonwatch bar winding. I've seen reference to watch winding tools that make the job easier. Looking at the crown guard it seems less likely these would work with the speedmaster?

Thanks,
    Michael

You'll run a real risk of marking the case with a winding tool, there's very little crown area for it to grip between the case and the top of the crown.

However even without using a tool a Speedmaster should wind quite smoothly.

Craftsman
    Thanks i find a rubbing action underneath the easiest way at the moment. im sure ill get used to it. I suppose winding every 36 hours in sufficient? its got a 48 hour power reserve?

I just wind mine everyday when I’m wearing it, nice little ritual and easier to get into a daily habit.
    Cheers..
    Jase

They generally smooten with use. You could even adopt the twice a day wind, to help speed that process up, improve the accuracy and habituate yourself with the winding.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Grand Master
    Its poor design in my opinion, the crown guards make it difficult to grip the crown.

Provided everything's as it should be the winding should be very smooth with little effort needed, a trace of silicone grease ought to be applied to the crown seals/pendant tube when the watch is assembled, this minimises friction between the O rings in the crown and the tube. When freshly assembled the winding should feel silky smooth.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Its poor design in my opinion, the crown guards make it difficult to grip the crown.

Provided everything's as it should be the winding should be very smooth with little effort needed, a trace of silicone grease ought to be applied to the crown seals/pendant tube when the watch is assembled, this minimises friction between the O rings in the crown and the tube. When freshly assembled the winding should feel silky smooth.
    I concur. Though buttery smooth on my recent Apollo 8 - does the ceramic case help?
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 23rd May 2020 at 12:52.

Quote Originally Posted by micks_address View Post
    Thanks i find a rubbing action underneath the easiest way at the moment. im sure ill get used to it. I suppose winding every 36 hours in sufficient? its got a 48 hour power reserve?
    This is what I do also.

I run my thumb along the underside and it winds perfect (each morning when Im wearing it).

Craftsman
    You would wonder it's suitability for an astronauts watch... The winder definitely a weak point of the design. I watched a video where the nasa watch chief said the pushers kept bending and omega had already a design with guards ready when they asked for a change

- - - Updated - - -

I was always told never wind a watch on the wrist as you put pressure on the crown?
    Quote Originally Posted by TimeThoughts View Post
    This is what I do also.

I run my thumb along the underside and it winds perfect (each morning when Im wearing it).

I agree with Paul - the design of the crown guards/crown on the Speedmaster makes it difficult to wind. I liked my Gemini 4, but I don’t miss that aspect of it and I would not be tempted by another Speedmaster...

Simon

First world problems lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by micks_address View Post
    You would wonder it's suitability for an astronauts watch... The winder definitely a weak point of the design.....w?
    Quote Originally Posted by Euan Begbie View Post
    First world problems lol
    Space problem lol.

Craftsman
    Hi there. When I first bought mine I had the same issue. It’s absolutely true that they are harder to wind when brand new, but that they give a little with a few months of use. I bought a winding tool for mine. It’s made of stainless steel and has a clawed end which grips the crown. The first time I used it I was concerned it would damage the crown but it did no damage whatsoever. I wish I could find it to send you a picture. Anyway a few months later I had no use for it as the crown got easier to wind. The crown guards are always going to be a pain but not much can be done about that! Hope that helps. If I find the winder, I’ll send you a pic.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Grand Master
    The crown has two O rings. Provided they're lubricated with a trace of silicone grease when the watch is assembled the crown should feel nice and smooth. Over time the O rings will bed in slightly and the edge that impinges on the pendant tube will assume a slightly flat profile. I wouldn`t expect the feel of the hand-winding to get easier though.

The crown is relatively shallow, it could usefully be made a bit deeper and that would make it easier to grip.

I would never let this minor foible put me off owning one, the reason I don`t own one is because I find the watch wears bigger than I`m happy with.

Every day's a school day. Other than winders for automatic watches, I had no idea there was such a thing as a 'winding tool' for a hand wound watch.
    My Speedy was a few months old when I got it so may have loosened up a little already but I find it easy to wind. I'm also not sure how much difference the guards make as they sit between the pushers so the don't really affect how much of the crown I can hold.

Grand Master
    The winding tool is something I`ve never seen the need for, if I`m working on a watch I use the original crown or stick an old one on the end of the stem as a temporary expedient. I certainly wouldn't use one for gripping the crown as an alternative to fingers or nails, a metal tool against a steel case will end up with marks eventually, its all too easy to slip.

It's difficult to wind with two hands (holding watch in left and rotating the crown with my right).

I tried the method of cradling it in my left hand and using my left hand's thumb and middle finger to wind the crown, and that was perfectly comfortable and became second nature.

Craftsman
    I'd also never heard of a tool for winding manual wind watches.

And after googling it, I can't really see what advantage they could possibly give to be honest.

The winding tool is something I`ve never seen the need for, if I`m working on a watch I use the original crown or stick an old one on the end of the stem as a temporary expedient. I certainly wouldn't use one for gripping the crown as an alternative to fingers or nails, a metal tool against a steel case will end up with marks eventually, its all too easy to slip.
    I'd be lost without mine and use them most days, even just for holding a crown whist lubricating the stem they're invaluable but they're also great for holding crowns and pushers securely whilst removing and refitting o-rings or seals.

I rarely use them for winding a watch though!

Do we need to man up a bit and admit that it’s not hard to wind such an awesome watch?

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Thewatchbloke View Post
    I'd be lost without mine and use them most days, even just for holding a crown whist lubricating the stem they're invaluable but they're also great for holding crowns and pushers securely whilst removing and refitting o-rings or seals.

I rarely use them for winding a watch though!

Duncan, you’ve convinced me to buy a couple