closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rev-O's Vintage Norwegian Army Patrol Packs on Tour

Rev-O's Vintage Norwegian Army Patrol Packs on Tour

As many of us have bought Ollie's (Rev-O) vintage Norwegian patrol packs with many in the post or being delivered as I type, It would be a good to see what journeys and adventures we have with them.

I see a lot of us plan to treat the leather and wax the canvas, once done mine will be ready to see the light of day for the first time in 60/70 years!

Master
    Blog Entries
    I love a resto thread, so watching this with interest.

I would recommend the solid wax bars, try fjallraven or otter wax.

Quote Originally Posted by Middo View Post

Otters wax?

Master
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Middo View Post

I have ordered a bar, normally on my wax coats I have used a cheaper version of the Thornproof wax on amazon, it's half the price. Not a great result though, never really seems to sink in fully, so will try the bar.

Wire wool to get the rust off the buckles, Dubbin after and I have Ko Cho Line leather dressing for the leather, perhaps followed by Renapur.

Anyone else got any ideas?

Master
    This for me on the canvas. Mink oil then Dubbin on the leather.

Sent from my SM-A202F using Tapatalk

What about rust marks on the canvas, oh and can the pack be washed, what are the stiffeners made of, will washing weaken them?
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Quote Originally Posted by Hocuspocus View Post

Yup that's the stuff I was using before.

Journeyman
    For leather I use Hestra wax. Not very cost effective but smells nice

I’m thinking of Fabsil on the canvas as it shouldn’t darken it and and will not give it that waxy feel although I did think about the Gold Label wax mentioned above -

Fabsil Plus UV Paint on Proofer https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000XY27..._yVRYEb6J59440

Buckles I’ll use a fine wire brush in my dremel tool and coat with an anti rust coating.

Leather I’’m still undecided..
    Last edited by murkeywaters; 24th May 2020 at 19:31.

I am not sure I would like to add a silicone-based product on a traditional bag like that.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    I am not sure I would like to add a silicone-based product on a traditional bag like that.
    It does seem a strange combination, I was thinking it keeps the bag looking traditional as apparently it doesn’t affect the colour or feel of the canvas unlike wax, also it’s highly recommended for canvas tents..

That said, the darker looking waxed look does look good as long as it’s not tacky..

I think a canvas tent becomes waterproof when the water is absorbed and swell the fibres. The silicon will form a water-repellent film, but I would be afraid that it also sticks to the individual fibres and prevent them from swelling again.
    I think I would like to find a rain cover that fits from a similar sized bag.

Master

Left the tub open in the sun for 20 minutes then applied with a brush. Finished with a hairdryer to ensure the wax was absorbed. Water now beads and runs straight off. Leather more supple after Mink Oil on the smooth side and some Dubbin type wax on the rough. All good.

Sent from my SM-A202F using TZ-UK mobile app

Looking forward to some pics of these in use!

I've had one of these for years, it's ace. Bought it from Wynnchester Outdoors. Is that Rev-O?

Quote Originally Posted by FrontierGibberish View Post
    I've had one of these for years, it's ace. Bought it from Wynnchester Outdoors. Is that Rev-O?
    Yes! I think they had some vintage ones and then remade their own version.

Quote Originally Posted by Rev-O View Post
    Yes! I think they had some vintage ones and then remade their own version.
    Cool. Love mine. We last used it on Wednesday to carry lunch on a very long dog walk.

Master
    Early morning in Wiltshire with the dog.

Master
    Blog Entries

There’s been a few posts about threading the straps through lower buckles on the SC thread , this is how I’ve done it which avoids buckle digging into my lower back.
    I can’t post on SC hence putting post here.
    Mick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Thomps68 View Post
    There’s been a few posts about threading the straps through lower buckles on the SC thread , this is how I’ve done it which avoids buckle digging into my lower back.
    Mick

That's how I have mine now and much more comfortable, by the way - 2 more posts and your in SC, no speed posting mind

Left the tub open in the sun for 20 minutes then applied with a brush. Finished with a hairdryer to ensure the wax was absorbed. Water now beads and runs straight off. Leather more supple after Mink Oil on the smooth side and some Dubbin type wax on the rough. All good.
    I might buy some of this for the bag (Gold Label Wax), could I ask is it sticky/tacky once its soaked in?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    I might buy some of this for the bag (Gold Label Wax), could I ask is it sticky/tacky once its soaked in?
    I applied the wax liberally to the canvas before using the hairdryer. After a further day or so it is well absorbed such that you wouldn't know there is anything applied. Water beads off nicely. I used maybe a third of the tub.

I didn't apply any to the back of the pack where it contacts the body.

Sent from my SM-A202F using TZ-UK mobile app

Thomps68 has it right!

Hoping the next batch will arrive soon. Posted on the 5th of May, left Oslo on the 20th but still not arrived in the UK (yes, I check the tracking hourly!)

I got busy with a Dremel as a 1st job.

I then Waxed - 1st with a sore tin of barbour (soaked up instantly) - I then used Gold Label Waterproof Wax. Quite a painless process, I was hoping it would give a more 'waxy' finish however like others have pointed out, I don't think you can tell its on unless it rains.

With the leather, I started with dubbin. I then tried Coconut oil which had a nice effect, but finally used a combination rubbing alcohol (isopropyl) and vaseline which has really softened the leather nicely.

I have some antique Pecard leather dressing and some mink oil waiting for them. Don't know which I'll use (both is usually the answer to most of my dilemmas but I am not sure it would work in this case).

Yesterday I applied Gold Label wax, it looked a bit patchy at first but 5 minutes in the oven on low and it soaked in and evened out.

With that done I took it on it’s first fishing trip, was nice traveling light and moving around, was a lovely evening in the countryside and to top it off I had some nice Chub too!

Master
    Blog Entries

Anyone else out and about with their packs in the sunshine?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomps68 View Post
    Mick

Excellent! Thank you, u knew there would be a way!
    Used mine tonight when I nipped to the newly reopened chippy and carried the fish and chips back. I quickly discovered the pin and buckle on the belt loop strap is REALLY annoying, catching clothing or jabbing me. I really don't want to cut it off but blimey, that annoying on a 3-4 minutes stroll means it'll be bad. Has anyone learnt a way to solve this problem? All I can think it's wrap some really tape around it.

Master
    Btw, I used gold label hide food on the leather, which I use on all my other jackets and shoes. The leather really was dry, it took about 4 coats but now is very supple. I've ordered some gold label wax for the canvas.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LondonNeil View Post
    Excellent! Thank you, u knew there would be a way!
    Used mine tonight when I nipped to the newly reopened chippy and carried the fish and chips back. I quickly discovered the pin and buckle on the belt loop strap is REALLY annoying, catching clothing or jabbing me. I really don't want to cut it off but blimey, that annoying on a 3-4 minutes stroll means it'll be bad. Has anyone learnt a way to solve this problem? All I can think it's wrap some really tape around it.
    I fashioned a leather sleeve to cover it up from some leather off-cuts I had lying around.

Morning all - good thread this. Here's a photo of my Wynnchester Outdoors wannabe, it's a very well made pack & is number 112 of 500. I can't remember how much I paid but it wasn't full price as I got it in a sale. I've only used it a couple of times, the longest being at the Goodwood Festival of Speed a couple of years ago. I have to say that it was brilliant - only carried a light load (waterproof, drink bottle, snacks, camera etc) but it was way more comfortable, considering the thin straps, than I thought it was going to be. After 2/3 days of walking miles around the circuit/park I had no aches or pains whatsoever. Not sure if it's waxed or not but it rained quite heavily at the F.O.S. & nothing got wet inside the pack.

Apologies for the rubbish photo but I hope you all enjoy using your packs - I'll be keeping/using mine :)

Last edited by pauluspaolo; 25th June 2020 at 10:52.

Finally got to use my bag for what I bought it for , misty and foggy day, week skiing in Claviere

On a med cruise , so backpack and holiday watch.