closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reviews coming thick and fast

Reviews coming thick and fast

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Enjoyed that one, and it pushed me even closer to adding a 29A to my watch box (I think I want one more than the Everest Expedition now, and prefer the black dial on the 29).

Very nice review and good of Eddie to provide review samples. For me the black is the clear winner, and this vid has made me dive into the safe to retrieve my 29B - manual wind is the way to go, in lazy lockdown mode.

Nice to see your watches getting some love from the reviewers out there, Eddie. I think the recent run of watches like the 29s and the 25s have been really spot on.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Delighted to see such positive reviews but that rogue apostrophe in "want's" is making me twitch....

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by FrontierGibberish View Post
    Delighted to see such positive reviews but that rogue apostrophe in "want's" is making me twitch....
    I agree. People who only speak one language and they're abominable use of grammar and there punctuation make's my face literally distort to it's maximum.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave E View Post
    Nice to see your watches getting some love from the reviewers out there, Eddie. I think the recent run of watches like the 29s and the 25s have been really spot on.
    I definitely agree Dave, and with some of the models Eddie has coming out the store open times are going to be fast and furious, and why not, Eddie offers such value in his watches.

Just one more review:

Smiths Everest 'Expedition' PRS-25 automatic watch - hands on review
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=E_SlqlhiLHU
    "Owning one is almost as satisfying as making one." ~ Rolex 1973

That’s a cracking watch

they indeed are everywhere. and all these cool reviews particularly the black Everest makes the wait 'til August much more agonizing

Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    Very nice review and good of Eddie to provide review samples. For me the black is the clear winner, and this vid has made me dive into the safe to retrieve my 29B - manual wind is the way to go, in lazy lockdown mode.
    I'm probably wrong , but I don't think Eddie does provide review samples.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomps68 View Post
    I'm probably wrong , but I don't think Eddie does provide review samples.
    I suspect you're right - All the reviews I've seen say they were bought by the reviewer or loaned by an owner.

M.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    I suspect you're right - All the reviews I've seen say they were bought by the reviewer or loaned by an owner.

M.
    This is not true because Eddie did mail the 2 PRS-29a and 29am to Tim over at CaseBack watches on youtube. He stated that Eddie actually emailed him telling him that they were on there way to him. Tim also stated that they were on loan from Eddie and that he would be shipping them back. Jody over at Just One More Watch did ask Eddie if he could get in a Everest for review but Eddie declined saying that he really didn't need more exposure for it so a viewer did lend in theirs for review so on that you were correct.

I imagine that for most of the reviews the watch is either loaned in or the reviewer actually purchased the watch, but it is clear that Eddie is not completely apposed to lending a particular watch for review.

Quote Originally Posted by kneadking View Post
    This is not true because Eddie did mail the 2 PRS-29a and 29am to Tim over at CaseBack watches on youtube. He stated that Eddie actually emailed him telling him that they were on there way to him. Tim also stated that they were on loan from Eddie and that he would be shipping them back. Jody over at Just One More Watch did ask Eddie if he could get in a Everest for review but Eddie declined saying that he really didn't need more exposure for it so a viewer did lend in theirs for review so on that you were correct.

I imagine that for most of the reviews the watch is either loaned in or the reviewer actually purchased the watch, but it is clear that Eddie is not completely apposed to lending a particular watch for review.
    I sent Tim the watches because he mentioned the 29A in a broader review of military watches and I liked what he did. Plus, if you read the comments on this review, many people wanted him to review the 29A and 29AM. He didn't initiate contact, I did.

I get many requests, usually along the lines of "I'm a social media influencer and will make a positive review of your watch in exchange for a free watch". I've never paid for a review and I've never given a free watch in exchange for a review.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    I sent Tim the watches because he mentioned the 29A in a broader review of military watches and I liked what he did. Plus, if you read the comments on this review, many people wanted him to review the 29A and 29AM. He didn't initiate contact, I did.

I get many requests, usually along the lines of "I'm a social media influencer and will make a positive review of your watch in exchange for a free watch". I've never paid for a review and I've never given a free watch in exchange for a review.

Eddie
    Brilliant - your watches speak for themselves!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well said....
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave E View Post
    Sent from my SM-G960U using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by kneadking View Post

Well, it was true because I'd not seen that/those review(s)

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

That guy Tim has a really pleasant and fresh style. No pretentiousness. Made me consider getting that watch too.

Apprentice
    Another :)

Quote Originally Posted by LeoR View Post
    Another :)
    Great review I thought - clear and concise and really captures the beauty of this watch.

And another....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=O7fAMqu1bcg

Apprentice
    A lot of reviews for the AM model I see, is it the more popular of the two?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Liam View Post
    A lot of reviews for the AM model I see, is it the more popular of the two?

Eddie will have the sales figures I imagine

And another....

https://youtu.be/sSSUgOj2Bjg

The 29A is almost sold out now, got to decide whether to wait a year for more stock with ETA/Sellita or 3-4 months for Miyota.

Eddie

Craftsman
    Miyota gets my vote

Master
    The 29A is almost sold out now, got to decide whether to wait a year for more stock with ETA/Sellita or 3-4 months for Miyota.

Eddie
    Hmmm....you're going to be bringing quite a few out with the Miyota - so in some ways I think its good to offer a selection of movements.

I assume Soprod are difficult to get - plus I note that the Doxa Sub1500T has stopped using them?

Would a Seiko NE15 fit?

Edit - thinking about it you want a hand wound - no date; so you are somewhat limited to Miyota as an alternative. However, given the number of watches you're going to be brining out - maybe wait for the Sellita?
    Last edited by KAS118; 9th June 2020 at 12:20.

My experience is that the Miyota performance is just awesome - far better than any eta I’ve owned. But there is something about a Swiss movement that gives it a certain status. Illogical I know, but then in a world of quartz accuracy, mechanical watches are the ‘illogical’ choice.

Apprentice
    From both a personal profitability standpoint and giving your loyal followers what they desire, I think there’s a great deal of virtue to availability.

No doubt there are those who are movement connoisseurs. But, providing an alternative movement is of similar quality, I pretty sure there are many people who would rather have reasonable access to a Smiths now rather than contend for one later.

Of course, since your busier than a one armed paper hanger as it is, the movements may not be the limiting factor.

Eddie
    I'm curious to what would be your decision points?

Availability of the watch in any movement as soon as possible would make more financial sense as there are definitely people who are not bothered by the as-capable Miyota rather than an ETA and still throw money at ya either way. Including me, lol

Quote Originally Posted by lexminute View Post
    I'm curious to what would be your decision points?

Availability of the watch in any movement as soon as possible would make more financial sense as there are definitely people who are not bothered by the as-capable Miyota rather than an ETA and still throw money at ya either way. Including me, lol
    I have strong feelings about this model and it's always had the 2801 (once the 2804). I just feel a bit sad about changing.

Eddie

I have strong feelings about this model and it's always had the 2801 (once the 2804). I just feel a bit sad about changing.

Eddie
    Understandable. For me the PRS-29a is the best watch that you make, it has the connection to the original W10 (so the heritage), the branding, the quality and the balance of form and function that make it a watch that could hold its own in any scenario. And the ETA movement is part of that overall package.
    Despite the obvious appeal and popularity of the Everest range, and the clear excitement for the forthcoming Navigator, I can’t understand why these haven’t sold out sooner! I guess the reviews and hype are beginning up catch up....

Apprentice
    I hope I got one Eddie?

My order number is RC23714536

Master

Eddie
    I don’t really understand the comments regarding the financial aspect.

If you sell all the watches you have then you’re going to have to make all new ones, regardless if the movement. So to me, if you can’t get the movement you want - wait and put your efforts into manufacturing one of the new models, such as the Caribbean - there are obviously people keen to get their hands on that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I had a 29A, and traded it. I'm recently considering buying the white dial version.

For me the ETA2801 is part of the appeal.

Which miyota movement are you considering?

Eddie
    I'd wait for the 2801, it keeps consistency across the particular model, and you also inadvertently create two classes of the same model. Besides, you have enough fantastic projects in the pipeline, the people can wait!

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGent View Post
    And another....

https://youtu.be/sSSUgOj2Bjg

That's another of mine (reposting with the youtube tags). This video got the most hits on my channel in the first day is a reflection of the popularity of this model.

My channel is small, and not too many subs, but you do see all sorts of interesting metrics in the Youtube studio

I'm hoping to pick up the PRS25 black dial when Eddie get's a restock. It will be interesting to see which is the more popular

That's another of mine (reposting with the youtube tags). This video got the most hits on my channel in the first day is a reflection of the popularity of this model.

My channel is small, and not too many subs, but you do see all sorts of interesting metrics in the Youtube studio

I'm hoping to pick up the PRS25 black dial when Eddie get's a restock. It will be interesting to see which is the more popular

Really enjoy your videos - nothing pretentious! Looking forward to your thoughts on the expedition

Master

Nice review - I enjoyed that

Apprentice

Eddie
    My 2p's worth is please stick with the ETA if possible. I don't think my affection for this watch would be as strong if it were Miyota powered. There is no rhyme or reason why, just a feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGent View Post
    Really enjoy your videos - nothing pretentious! Looking forward to your thoughts on the expedition

Many thanks, I appreciate it. And the Expedition video is in the works. Fitting in filming and editing around real work is tricky, but is a fun hobby nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by KAS118 View Post
    Nice review - I enjoyed that

Thanks for the feedback. The video's I've made of Eddie's watches have been some of the most popular on my channel. Not a large channel compared to some, but there is obviously a huge amount of enthusiasm for these watches. Now I'm in the club I can see why.

Reviews coming thick and fast

My 2p's worth is please stick with the ETA if possible. I don't think my affection for this watch would be as strong if it were Miyota powered. There is no rhyme or reason why, just a feeling.
    You’ve said it more succinctly than me - just feels right!

Master

Eddie
    Perhaps a bit 'left field' but what about a Soprod M100? Would these be any quicker to get hold of?

I mention it as although they are an auto - they're actually about the same thickness as a 2801?

As an aside - Soprod apparently have also recently announced the 'Newton' which is supposed to be more affordable - again its an Auto (and more 2824 sized) and although it has a date I understand its supposed to be customisable (although I don't know if that means they can lose the date)? Info about it here https://www.calibremagazine.com/news...g-new-grounds/

Not sure where the irrational distate for Miyota comes from aside from perhaps ill-informed prejudice? Probably the same bunch who 'wouldn't pay £5k for a Seiko'. Sigh.

Whatever gets the watches available and at scale is best. 99% of buyers won't care about the movement and given the price point vs the quality I'd say don't look a gift horse in the eye.

Eddie
    Happy to wait a year for a Sellita hand wound. What are the hand wound Miyotas like in comparison?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Not sure where the irrational distate for Miyota comes from aside from perhaps ill-informed prejudice? Probably the same bunch who 'wouldn't pay £5k for a Seiko'. Sigh.

Whatever gets the watches available and at scale is best. 99% of buyers won't care about the movement and given the price point vs the quality I'd say don't look a gift horse in the eye.
    The Miyota is a very good movement - and I also believe the Miyota is going in the baby Dreadnought, Baby Speedbird and baby Willard - as well as the Caribbean.

However, for the PRS-29 its meant to be a bit more period, so along with that 'theme' if you can't get a British Movement (as far as I know Christoper Ward aren't making theirs available to anyone) then a Swiss movement fits in better as, along with Smiths, Swiss manufactures also produced the W10.

Although it seems I'm in a minority, the movement in a watch does interest me and I can't see the point in having a load of watches that all all powered by exactly the same movement. So I have a 9015 and a 9039 on order and I have a 4R36. I do have a 2801-2 already - but the one that is a non-hacking version, whereas the one in the PRS-29 had the hacking option.

Likewise, I don't currently have a centre-seconds hand would Sellita nor a Soprod that isn't an A-10.

Craftsman

I would have to disagree about only 1% caring about the movement in a watch. I would much prefer a manual wind in a field/military watch. I really don't care if it is ETA, Sellita, or Miyota. I did have a watch that came with a Miyota 6T33 movement which is a 28,800 bph manual wind movement and I had no problems. I don't know what the availability of the Miyota's are but it wasn't a bad movement but you have to agree that their automatics are noisy due to the unidirectional rotor.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Nastadon View Post
    Happy to wait a year for a Sellita hand wound. What are the hand wound Miyotas like in comparison?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    I am not sure which HW movements Miyota are currently producing but I had a 6T33 HW movement which is a 28,800 bph and I had no problems with it. They also make a 8N33 which is a 21,600 bph movement. Marloe watch co put the latter in one of their models. I am not sure what the availability of Miyota's movements are.

The 2801 is a lovely movement to wind every day, as pleasurable to interact with as the 2824 isn't. Most people who have a preference for manual wind watches are aware of this attractive quality. On the other hand, I'm not aware of ever having read any opinion on the feel of the manual Miyota.

Your idea that people who usually shop sub-£1,000 don't care about movements is very wide of the mark. If you've experience of the manual Miyota to pass on, people would be interested to hear.

I wasn't aware that Miyota did a hand-winding movement in their premium range and I wouldn't use any of the 8*** calibres. Happy to be proved wrong.

Eddie

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    The 2801 is a lovely movement to wind every day, as pleasurable to interact with as the 2824 isn't. Most people who have a preference for manual wind watches are aware of this attractive quality. On the other hand, I'm not aware of ever having read any opinion on the feel of the manual Miyota.

Your idea that people who usually shop sub-£1,000 don't care about movements is very wide of the mark. If you've experience of the manual Miyota to pass on, people would be interested to hear.
    I have had a manual wind Miyota 6T33 in the Vario Empire watch that I backed on Kickstarter last year and was a nice movement. It was a high beat movement and beat at 28,800 vph and was quite accurate. Mine was a gilt movement and it is a skeletonized movement. I don't know if they are still producing it. I agree that the 2801-2 is a wonderful movement. I enjoy winding mine every morning. All I have are manual winds and really have no desire for an auto.