closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Black Bay 36

Journeyman

Black Bay 36

Looking to pick up a BB36 in the near future. This is going to be my first big (for me) watch purchase.

Ideally I would like to buy second hand - have checked Ebay sold etc but prices seem to vary. Haven't got access to the sales section but just wondered what price I should be aiming for and if there has been many pop up for sale?

Also would love to get peoples opinions on the BB36 and pics would be great too.

Welcome Willo

Can you see/post in the WTB section of the forum? I've used the facility successfully a couple of times in the past.
    I did do a quick search on the SC and doesn't seem like anyone's put one up for sale in the last couple of months.

In terms of prices, I would expect them to vary depending on condition. Personally if I was looking for a Tudor BB in a decent condition I would probably look to aim for around 75% of RRP of a new watch. Others would have different opinions based on how much they're willing to spend and their expectations on the condition. Patience is key with hunting for second hand watches.

Hi there - I purchased a Black Bay 41 last summer so I have a little experience...

Firstly, I would advise you try on both the 36 and the 41. Admittedly I do have rather large wrists at 8 inches, but the BB36 looked comically small on me - I think it had a lot to do with the fact that the dial has enlarged markers which emphasise the smaller case size. The 41, by comparison, fits me spot on and doesn't really wear like a 41 at all...having had the chance to try on a friend's 39mm Explorer, I can't honestly say that I noticed any major difference between the two on wrist.

In terms of discounts, I did manage to push a few dealers as hard as they'd go and the max I got was 5.5% discount, which i believe is the maximum ADs are permitted to offer on Tudor. In the end, I bought it from Beaverbrooks at full price but negotiated a £400 gift card in lieu of a discount. I don't believe the 36 or 41 are massively popular watches on the whole, so you will find ADs more receptive than on a BB58 or GMT, for instance.

Whichever you buy, the 36 and 41 are just superb watches. I lusted after an Explorer for years but can hand on heart say that this has quashed those feelings for good - it is a terrifically solid feeling bit of kit that works in almost any situation. It wears so well on wrist, and the bracelet in particular is a real highlight for me - even though the watch is a total strap monster! Timekeeping has been phenomenal too, easily to COSC standards in spite of the fact it doesn't have an official chronometer certification.

Good luck with the hunt!

I’d echo the previous comment about trying out both the 36 and the 41. I was adamant the 36 would be the watch for me, but when I tried it on it felt really small. At 6.75” I don’t have a big wrist, but even my wife who was with me asked if it was the women’s version! I’ve had other 36mm watches but for some reason the BB felt quite dainty - I think it may be the compactness of the dial making it appear smaller - like an optical illusion.

In the end I went for the 41 and am really glad I did, it’s an excellent daily wearer sports watch. My best pal has the 39mm Explorer and it wears very similar, a shade bigger but not as much as you’d think; again like the 36 it wears a little smaller than I expected, possibly because the bezel is quite thick meaning the dial is visually smaller than other 41mm watches.

Whichever way you go you’ll be getting a cracking watch that looks as good on leather as it does on the (beautiful) bracelet. Hope you snag a bargain somewhere!

Couple of pics of my BB41

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by davidj54 View Post
    I’d echo the previous comment about trying out both the 36 and the 41. I was adamant the 36 would be the watch for me, but when I tried it on it felt really small. At 6.75” I don’t have a big wrist, but even my wife who was with me asked if it was the women’s version! I’ve had other 36mm watches but for some reason the BB felt quite dainty - I think it may be the compactness of the dial making it appear smaller - like an optical illusion.
    I have fairly small wrists & have found similar with some smaller dial 36mm watches - they actually look too small & make my wrist look even smaller!
    Other 36mm watches with thin bezels look a great fit.

Master
    The 36 and 41 both tend to be £1500-1800 used, depending on condition, age etc.

I have the 41 but on my 6.75" wrist the dial is rather large. The 36 may be a better option for me. The nonexistent 39mm would be perfect, lol.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

If both feel wrong, how about a BB58? At 39mm it is in the sweet spot.

Apprentice
    I've a 6.75 inch wrist, had my heard set on a BB41 but it wore too big for me, the 36 was too small. My wife said it looked ok but to me it looked too small and I strongly feel if it looks a certain way to you, theres no changing that mindset.

Long story short I picked up a 40mm Grand Seiko Quartz in the end.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Willo View Post
    Looking to pick up a BB36 in the near future. This is going to be my first big (for me) watch purchase.

Ideally I would like to buy second hand - have checked Ebay sold etc but prices seem to vary. Haven't got access to the sales section but just wondered what price I should be aiming for and if there has been many pop up for sale?

Also would love to get peoples opinions on the BB36 and pics would be great too.
    I have a Tudor BB36 which is perfect on my ~6.3" wrist. I could accept if it would be a 1-2 mm bigger in diameter but this size I admire. Fantastic watch, go for it.

Anyway I'm keen on an a Smiths Everest but it would replace the BB36 - the latter one feels a bit too expensive for me. How does the English relate to the Swiss in reliability, quality, cfaftmanship? Is that any point in which the two are comparable?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Hockney View Post
    I've a 6.75 inch wrist, had my heard set on a BB41 but it wore too big for me, the 36 was too small. My wife said it looked ok but to me it looked too small and I strongly feel if it looks a certain way to you, theres no changing that mindset.

Had the exact same problem. The 36 was too small, 41 too big. As previously suggested in this thread, I went for the BB58. 39mm and absolutely PERFECT.

Craftsman
    I tried the 36 and didn't like it, even though I own some other 36mm, and smaller watches.

The 41 felt right for me with the non-diver BB.

Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post

I have the 41 but on my 6.75" wrist the dial is rather large. The 36 may be a better option for me. The nonexistent 39mm would be perfect, lol.

I agree. The leap from 36 to 41 leaves a wide gap. Maybe one they will fill in the future if demand is high enough

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    I agree. The leap from 36 to 41 leaves a wide gap. Maybe one they will fill in the future if demand is high enough
    Would that maybe take sales away from the parent company who market quite a few models in that size range?

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    Would that maybe take sales away from the parent company who market quite a few models in that size range?

I doubt it. Rolex also do 36 and 41 and are unaffected. I doubt they’d care at all

I doubt it. Rolex also do 36 and 41 and are unaffected. I doubt they’d care at all
    Okay thanks. Just pictured someone in a watch shop asking about a 39mm Rolex (I'm not very familiar with the different models or prices so excuse my guesses) for 5k with a possible waiting list. And then they find out they could walk out the door that day with a similar Tudor for half the price, may they be tempted? I'm sure some would.

Okay thanks. Just pictured someone in a watch shop asking about a 39mm Rolex (I'm not very familiar with the different models or prices so excuse my guesses) for 5k with a possible waiting list. And then they find out they could walk out the door that day with a similar Tudor for half the price, may they be tempted? I'm sure some would.

I’m afraid your average Rolex buyer is not a WIS and therefore would not consider anything but a Rolex and the waiting list would probably excite them even more so they can mention it to everyone they mention their Rolex to.

Quote Originally Posted by ped View Post
    I’m afraid your average Rolex buyer is not a WIS and therefore would not consider anything but a Rolex and the waiting list would probably excite them even more so they can mention it to everyone they mention their Rolex to.
    Ah yes, that is very true.

Some will that’s for sure. I do think a 39mm bb will happen at some point though

Some will that’s for sure. I do think a 39mm bb will happen at some point though
    I hope not, I'll be too sorely tempted

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Hockney View Post

I'm finding the 36mm is perfect on my 6.75 in. wrist. Wears a touch larger than the PRS-25 36mm with the black dial on the riveted bracelet, though the Tudor has a wider bezel. Probably due to the chunkier case with slab sides.

I hope not, I'll be too sorely tempted

Lol that’s their job!

Lol that’s their job!
    Yep, the temptation of shiny things

I've a number of 'photos of my BB36 however I think that this one shows it well and true to life on my 7.25" wrist. I had tried the 41mm case a number of times before deciding on the 36mm, for me the larger model looked a little too chunky for what I was looking for, namely something that could be worn both casually and for smarter occasions where my thinking was a smaller and more subtle size would be more suitable.

It's certainly a decision that's subjective OP, try both on and see which way you go and if an answer isn't immediately apparent then don't commit, it took me a number of months to mull over which one to choose. Buying pre-owned will, of course, mitigate any financial risk should you feel that you've chosen the incorrect model.

Edit to add that I do wear larger watches as well, some notably wider in diameter than the BB36, I just preferred the 36 over the 41 for this particular model. I bought mine new as there were very few pre-owned 36mm models available at the time and those that were available weren't cheap enough for me to warrant buying one seeing as a discount is available new if you ask with a smile.

BB36
    Last edited by CardShark; 25th May 2020 at 17:10.

Master
    I think the point above about the 36's versatility is well made. Works as a dress option better than 41. Not that I've had too many dress occasions to bemoan the 41, lol.

Craftsman
    One thing I'll say about the 41. I don't find the bracelet comfortable at all.

It's heavy, and I find the edges a bit sharp, and it generally digs in.

I've ordered a leather strap for it.

I'm not much of a bracelet guy anyway though, so opinions may differ.

Master

Black Bay 36

Blue dial 36mm would be my choice, bit more differentiation vs. black (I.e. less explorer) and the tone of the blue is just right.

Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    I've a number of 'photos of my BB36 however I think that this one shows it well and true to life on my 7.25" wrist. I had tried the 41mm case a number of times before deciding on the 36mm, for me the larger model looked a little too chunky for what I was looking for, namely something that could be worn both casually and for smarter occasions where my thinking was a smaller and more subtle size would be more suitable.

It's certainly a decision that's subjective OP, try both on and see which way you go and if an answer isn't immediately apparent then don't commit, it took me a number of months to mull over which one to choose. Buying pre-owned will, of course, mitigate any financial risk should you feel that you've chosen the incorrect model.

Edit to add that I do wear larger watches as well, some notably wider in diameter than the BB36, I just preferred the 36 over the 41 for this particular model. I bought mine new as there were very few pre-owned 36mm models available at the time and those that were available weren't cheap enough for me to warrant buying one seeing as a discount is available new if you ask with a smile.

BB36
    That's a great pic. I've been eyeing these up on the Tudor site recently. It would be great if they put an in-house movement in them.

Journeyman
    Thanks for the replies fellas. Don't have access to the sales corner and as you can tell from my response time, it may be a while until I can haha.

I won't be pulling the trigger until I have tried on the 36, 41 and 58. For me, the 58 is probably the watch I want the most out of the three but I wanted to see if they brought out any new colour ways/a bracelet without them rivets. The idea was to get a 36 for a few years and get a 58 to join or replace it (hence why I want a good price on it). Still haven't tried the 58 on yet though so it may be my first purchase after all.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by TAFKARM View Post
    If both feel wrong, how about a BB58? At 39mm it is in the sweet spot.
    The BB58 is probably top of the list but I am not sold on the fake rivets - need to try it on in person because it could change things.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post

I'd say my wrist is a similar size. I will definitely be trying on both but I do usually prefer the look of smaller watches.

Did you buy yours second hand? If so where did you have the most success finding your 41?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Willo View Post
    I'd say my wrist is a similar size. I will definitely be trying on both but I do usually prefer the look of smaller watches.

Did you buy yours second hand? If so where did you have the most success finding your 41?
    Right here on SC a few years back. :-)

First post on here after some lurking...
    For what it’s worth, I’ve been down this road too and despite having my heart set on it when I walked into the AD, the BB36 wore small on my 7 inch wrist. I think the issue is just that it’s not as versatile as I imagined and it looked like a small sportswatch.
    I ended up picking up a Nomos Club Dunkel, 36mm. The long lugs and slightly dressier look made it more balanced and it cost half the price. 12 months down the line and still wearing it regularly.

It might be too different to what you’re looking for but thought I’d share my experience...

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by ac11111 View Post
    Blue dial 36mm would be my choice, bit more differentiation vs. black (I.e. less explorer) and the tone of the blue is just right.
    Definitely need to check out the blue dial in person. Got my heart set on the black because it is more versatile but I do love a blue dial!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Idontgram View Post
    First post on here after some lurking...
    For what it’s worth, I’ve been down this road too and despite having my heart set on it when I walked into the AD, the BB36 wore small on my 7 inch wrist. I think the issue is just that it’s not as versatile as I imagined and it looked like a small sportswatch.
    I ended up picking up a Nomos Club Dunkel, 36mm. The long lugs and slightly dressier look made it more balanced and it cost half the price. 12 months down the line and still wearing it regularly.

It might be too different to what you’re looking for but thought I’d share my experience...
    Welcome mate, have also been a lurker for a while and only recently started posting.

Yeah definitely need to get them on wrist and see which I prefer. I currently own a Seiko Sarb033 and SKX013 so I am used to smaller watches but never had one as small as 36mm. Must say, I am attracted to the versatility of the BB36 so will have to wait and see if I have the same feelings as you.

The Nomos is a lovely looking watch but maybe too dressy for what I am looking for right now.

FWIW, I went down this path too...

I looked at the BB36 a lot, as a modern and daily wearable alternative to a 1016 Explorer.

Really wanted and expected to love it but didn’t quite get a strong enough feeling. Personally I think it’s a lovely, but maybe it’s also the best glossiness of the dial which takes away from the vintage vibe for me

Ended up managing to get a BB58 and was worried it might be too chunky on my wrist, but it’s brilliant - I’ve now secured the bracelet for it too, but haven’t got round to fitting it yet as it wears so nicely on natos