closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Garden hose recommendations - magic or not?

Garden hose recommendations - magic or not?

Hi All,

I'm in need of a new garden hose.

Considering one of the new fangled 'magic' expandable hoses, however they have very mixed reviews on Amazon. Has anybody tried one?

Would I be better off sticking with the more traditional Hozelock system?

Thanks in advance.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I had that with the reviews it strikes me as misuse.

I have a 50ft and 100ft version I dont drag them across stones and hang them on a a wall bracket after use still going strong.

I use the shorter one most,drain the handle if icy or it cracks when frozen.

this one

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Master
    I got an unbranded one off amazon and it burst, Then got a proper one from Argos or somewhere and it’s been fine no problems at all, I’d stay away from the amazon ones

Craftsman
    I bought a wall mounted auto retracting Gardena 35m hose reel. Very easy to use, retract and store

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Think carefully about how you're going to use it. It needs pressure to remain extended (and in position). Personally, if there's storage for a good quality ordinary hose and reel I'd always go for that.

We got one recently - great if you're using a spray gun, useless with a sprinkler

Craftsman
    I've just got a new hose, I went for the hozelock 2 in 1 compact 25m.

Fits my needs perfect as I can put it on its wall mount or use it as a portable hose drum at the front of the house rarther than drag the hose round the house , simply un-clips.

These hoses are absolutely brilliant:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/fitt-50m-...ech-hose/6545j

As our current hoses fail, I am replacing all of our hoses around the farm with these and they work a treat and are very robust.

We use our hoses every day, 7 days per week and have found Draper brass fittings to be the best out there. Shop around though, as the prices vary enormously!

I have yet to find a hose reel which is any good and have tried most of the 'quality' brands. They just dont perform well or last very long. We do give them a very hard time though!

Thanks for the replies so far

This one gets great reviews, only problem is that it's twice as long as I need - 40m when I only need 20m

https://www.hozelock.com/product/fast-reel/

It can stay in one place so I don't mind it being heavy, but with such a long hose would water pressure be an issue?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Neal666 View Post
    I've just got a new hose, I went for the hozelock 2 in 1 compact 25m.

Fits my needs perfect as I can put it on its wall mount or use it as a portable hose drum at the front of the house rarther than drag the hose round the house , simply un-clips.
    Thanks, was it difficult to put together?

How is the winding mechanism? Some reviews say it's not very efficient.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
    Thanks for the replies so far

This one gets great reviews, only problem is that it's twice as long as I need - 40m when I only need 20m

https://www.hozelock.com/product/fast-reel/

It can stay in one place so I don't mind it being heavy, but with such a long hose would water pressure be an issue?
    Doesn't the flow rate halve as you double the length? I think it's something like that. Also depends on what your water pressure at the tap is. If a quarter turn of the tap gives you sufficient water, then it's probably not an issue. If you need to fully open the tap, it might be an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon76 View Post
    I bought a wall mounted auto retracting Gardena 35m hose reel. Very easy to use, retract and store

+1

Better quality (though more expensive) than the Hozelock alternatives.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon76 View Post

We just put one of those up two days ago, got it from Costco. Best hose I've used and puts the old Karcher hose we had to shame. Couldn't recommend it enough.

Master
    Either Hoselok or Gardena. Both stand the test of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Slamdoor View Post
    Over the years I tried a few different hoses and none of them much good but I bought a Hozelock set up a few years ago and its performed really well and still going strong.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTigerUK View Post
    Over the years I tried a few different hoses and none of them much good but I bought a Hozelock set up a few years ago and its performed really well and still going strong.
    Mine always leaked where input hose joined reel. Bought new connectors, tried silicone grease etc. but still the same. Only steady drip but made patio wet.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Mine always leaked where input hose joined reel. Bought new connectors, tried silicone grease etc. but still the same. Only steady drip but made patio wet.
    I have the same issue but on the connection to the tap. Also the spray gun or nozzle also drip even when I discharge the pressure in the hose. I'll not be getting anymore hose lock in the future.

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

Master
    Hozelock is the way to go imo. Those "magic" jobs also seem to split or leak after a while in my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Slamdoor View Post
    Strange how different peoples experiences vary.

I have found some Gardena products really good, others less so.
    Hoselock, on the other hand, I would never buy again as most of their products are overpriced rubbish nowadays.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    I had that with the reviews it strikes me as misuse.

I have a 50ft and 100ft version I dont drag them across stones and hang them on a a wall bracket after use still going strong.

I use the shorter one most,drain the handle if icy or it cracks when frozen.

this one

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Have the same (but black) and I think is brilliant. Very important to buy those with brass fittings because they will last longer.

Had mine for 2 years and no problem, First close the tap, then let it exhaust all water and retract, then wrap it on a hose hook.

Still using a 10 year old Hozelock and it's fine but I have upgraded to all brass fittings and finally no leaks!

If you don’t mind slumming it Aldi have since last Sunday an offer for a 20m hose, £9.99 and £4 for an spray gun attachment.

The hose itself is better than a hozelock hose I have, is also thicker and so far hasn’t kinked.

I thought I'd update this thread in case anyone else has been searching the net for quality hose ; )

I've found a rubber number that isn't too kinky. Very satisfied with her:

https://www.yoyoextendablehose.co.uk/
    Last edited by Rocket Man; 13th June 2020 at 16:50.

I've found a rubber number that isn't too kinky.

I never thought that I’d say it (/fark, I’m getting old) but that looks great. I’m in.

I had a magic hose, was great till it busted open. Wouldnt bother again it was expensive and didnt last. Looked a bit untidy as well, a regular hose you can put on a reel and it looks better.