closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: What’s the Matter with Tony Slattery? BBC2 documentary

What’s the Matter with Tony Slattery? BBC2 documentary

I thought this was an excellent and sensitive documentary exploring Tony’s complex issue’s around drink, drugs, depression and childhood abuse since he disappeared from our screens in the late 90s. It never seemed to offer easy solutions (as TV usually wants to) rather that advice from medical experts, cutting down drinking, having work or something to aim for and the power & support of loved ones to help you through a crisis is what might offer the best hope..

I was quite shocked at Tony’s physical and mental condition - 30 years of drug, drink and depression have clearly taken their toll, to the point that if he walked pass me on the street i don't think i'd recognise him. A small flicker of the old quick witted skills and charm I loved on ‘Who’s Line’ was still there though and the determination to improve himself long term was endearing.

The road looks long and difficult for Tony but after this documentary i wish him the best and hope he can find a brighter hope for the future.
    Last edited by vulcangascompany; 22nd May 2020 at 00:46.

Yes it was an excellent and moving documentary. I always enjoyed and appreciated his appearances on Whose Line Is It Anyway. He was a witty and engaging man, whose addictive descent is so sad, despite it being well known.

As you say, may he find peace!

I watched this after reading your thread- thank you. I found it sad and quite harrowing.

Craftsman
    I haven't watched this yet (good old player) but before lockdown volunteered at my local theatre (the Quay in Sudbury) he did a show, supported by a colleague in the form of a Q&A. Met him before this appearance, a lovely man, clearly troubled but keen to help others talk about their issues and seek help. Cheers, John B4

Master
    I watched this last night on iPlayer and have to say found it extremely moving. I was a big fan of Tony in 'Whose Line is it Anyway' and it was shocking to see the transformation and hear of some of the childhood events that may have triggered this. I truly hope that he manages to overcomes his daemons.

I thought it was an embarrassing critique of mental health treatment in that it took so long for someone to ask him about the trauma he had experienced. I'm surprised that wasn't given more coverage in the program. Most of the 'treatment' appeared to consisted of asking him to stop drinking so much with little regards to asking why. An over reliance on supposedly expert psychiatric opinion.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ernestrome View Post
    I thought it was an embarrassing critique of mental health treatment in that it took so long for someone to ask him about the trauma he had experienced. I'm surprised that wasn't given more coverage in the program. Most of the 'treatment' appeared to consisted of asking him to stop drinking so much with little regards to asking why. An over reliance on supposedly expert psychiatric opinion.
    I understood it slightly differently - although I don't profess to be an expert or have significant experience of mental health issues. The challenge they seemed to indicate was that they couldn't accurately diagnose the underlying mental health problems while the drinking continued because it was masking his true feelings and behaviours. For me, it reinforces how little is understood about the human mind and that the diagnosis of related problems is still very much in its infancy.

Thanks for sharing this.

It's on YouTube as well.

So, stop the drinking first then we'll treat you, eh? But if drinking is the problem, and they have do that bit themselves, what do they need the treatment for? It's an unfortunate byproduct of treating addictions as fundamentally different to other mental health problems. Addicts are human beings struggling like the rest of us. Addiction is a special problem behaviour but it is not fundamentally different to all the others. It is serving a function for the person.

If the drinking is the behaviour, some of the consequences were plain to see (loss of career, damaged relationships). The critical bit is working out the antecedents. How can we understand and stop a behaviour without understanding its function(s) in their full context and all the consequences of the behaviour.

as above, its difficult to differentiate what is causing what.

some years back i did quite a lot of voluntary work in my local mental health hospital , there was quite a high proportion of people with psychiatric problems that were there as a result of drug misuse - these people were like a revolving door within the system - they came in got cleaned up got better got out and them repeated the whole thing over and over.
    doctors end up trying to treat their mental health problems when the primary problem (drug /alcohol misuse) is not being addressed or the user has no interest in addressing it.

Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post
    as above, its difficult to differentiate what is causing what.

some years back i did quite a lot of voluntary work in my local mental health hospital , there was quite a high proportion of people with psychiatric problems that were there as a result of drug misuse - these people were like a revolving door within the system - they came in got cleaned up got better got out and them repeated the whole thing over and over.
    doctors end up trying to treat their mental health problems when the primary problem (drug /alcohol misuse) is not being addressed or the user has no interest in addressing it.
    This ^^^ depression has many causes and manifests in may ways, it's difficult to make a diagnosis and move forward when drugs and/or alcohol are confusing the roots of the issue, Tony made a huge step forward by giving up drugs, he had a ''light bulb moment'' when this was pointed out to him, the fact that he could stop taking drugs brought on the realisation that his booze problem could be overcome, as his control over life returns, he should be more able to confront his demons.

I wish him well for the future, he'll probably stumble now and then, but then don't we all.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Very interesting documentary, wish him all the best in his recovery.
    Alcohol, for a lot of people, is an absolute sh*t storm and I for one can't stand the stuff, even though I'm sat here with a glass of wine. I do believe that certain people just aren't suited to alcohol nor any other types of drugs. I'm crap with anything recreational, but I enjoy it. There's the problem.
    As my dad always said "everything in moderation", which is fine if you can moderate, quite a few can't.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk