closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Thoughts on 42mm Panerais

Thoughts on 42mm Panerais

Slightly bored during lockdown, and thoughts of my next purchase when the time comes.

Part of me keeps flip flopping between various models, Omega Speedy Pro, Seamster and Tag Monaco. Although more a dive watch fan, rather than chrono guy (not to say a Speedy isn't on my long term list). But also keep getting swayed for a blue dial watch also.

Currently have a 44mm Panerai 560 Luminor, which I wear on average twice a week. Brings a smile to my face when I do, Panerai were a grail for me! Although since owning the BB58, the weight and size of the 44mm at the end of the day seems to much, I'm also finding myself less impressed with the lack of case finesse on these base luminors. 44mm is also the largest I can go on my wrist.

Before lockdown I was in the city and popped into WoS for a browse, I came across the Panerai blue dial 42mm auto 1028. Ticked a lot of boxes for me, smaller size, blue dial, better case finishing. Not a fan of the bracelet and would look to buy without and have strap instead.

I'd like to hear Panerai fans on their thoughts on the 42mm case size (I know not Pam DNA & resale issues, but I'd look for a deal).

Here are some pictures and my current 560. (Part of me does think the lug to lug isn't that different, so may not be worthwhile).

Thanks Brad

Master
    I am a fan of how the 42mm look, especially the diver version. it will be nice to actually be try these on at some point!

Master
    I’m a fan of the 42mm size.

I’ve owned a few 44mm Luminors and, quite honestly, when I tried a 42mm on last year it immediately felt and looked a better fit for me personally. I also feel that losing the 9 makes the 42mm dial feel less cluttered than its 44mm sibling.

Ive been considering a 722 since... basically the same as your photos above but with the black dial.

Out of interest, what didn’t you like about the bracelet? I was saddened to see it’s pins rather than screws, but the finish of the bracelet was good and I felt it suited the watch very nicely indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by mab View Post
    I’m a fan of the 42mm size.

I’ve owned a few 44mm Luminors and, quite honestly, when I tried a 42mm on last year it immediately felt and looked a better fit for me personally. I also feel that losing the 9 makes the 42mm dial feel less cluttered than its 44mm sibling.

Ive been considering a 722 since... basically the same as your photos above but with the black dial.

Out of interest, what didn’t you like about the bracelet? I was saddened to see it’s pins rather than screws, but the finish of the bracelet was good and I felt it suited the watch very nicely indeed.
    Thats exactly my thoughts on the 9 and sub seconds also!

Not a fan of polished centre links, plus I prefer Pams on leather, although I do admire the look of the bracelet. Also my BB58 is my bracelet go to watch.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by McBeardy View Post
    Not a fan of polished centre links
    Had exactly the same thought when sporting the 722 in Laing’s Edinburgh. I’ve wondered many times since how easy that would be to fix with my Garryflex block.

Master
    If the 42mm works for you then perfect. With the 42mm submersible there is a little bit of extra "heft". Particularly like the 1055, think it looks fantastic.

I’d like to try a 42mm and a 40mm bracelet variant on to see how they wear, I like a wire lug Radiomir but just not sure on these, the crown guard puts me off especially with the bigger sizes, so a more compact with a chunky bracelet could be good.

I like some of them

A group of us last year from the local watch community went to the boutique in Leeds. Yep, this nonsense was from the Pam boutique.

We were told for a 300m 42m Submersible, the following, because the warranty would be invalidated if there was an issue

Do not use it in the shower, the pressure can cause an issue with seals.

It cannot be used for ‘regular’ my swimming. Or ‘a lot’ . When asked if this was one holiday a year etc or how much swimming etc, how many hours they could not answer. But not a lot!!

Also for the two year warranty to be valid, it has to go back after 12 months to be checked or something.

All in all, if Panerai have no faith in their product whey should I.

I was wearing a Rolex GMT at the time. No issues like that from Rolex.

I’ve just picked this up (338), and I love the size. Compared to the 44mm Luminor it’s much more wearable (for my wrists anyway) and fits under a shirt.

I’ve had a Monaco 39mm McQueen too, and I’d say this wears smaller due to being slimmer, although it feels slightly longer due to the lugs.

The simple dial means it’s not cluttered, which helps preserve the Panerai look.

Quote Originally Posted by TAFKARM View Post
    I like some of them

A group of us last year from the local watch community went to the boutique in Leeds. Yep, this nonsense was from the Pam boutique.

We were told for a 300m 42m Submersible, the following, because the warranty would be invalidated if there was an issue

It cannot be used for ‘regular’ my swimming. Or ‘a lot’ . When asked if this was one holiday a year etc or how much swimming etc, how many hours they could not answer. But not a lot!!

Also for the two year warranty to be valid, it has to go back after 12 months to be checked or something.

This is bizarre! And it’s called a submersible..

I like some of them

Was it April 1st? Don’t swim in a 300m rated Panerai Sub? I’m astonished they would say that frankly. If that is true then you shouldn’t swim in a Rolex sub. I think I’d challenge them on that. It’s even called a submersible ffs.

I like some of them

Wonderful stuff.

I do like the designs and I really like the look of that 338 but Panerai as a brand really does seem to love actively taking the piss out of their loyal customers.

Craftsman
    I have a 44mm PAM312 but having tried some of the 42mm versions think they fit me better, the 1392 would probably be my choice as they have reduced the thickness compared to the old 392:

Also tried on the titanium 927 last year and it's a lovely thing:

(Pics taken from intranet)

I like some of them

Wow that is shocking, new staff maybe? Who wear confused with the Duo? haha

Quote Originally Posted by Phil0886 View Post
    I have a 44mm PAM312 but having tried some of the 42mm versions think they fit me better, the 1392 would probably be my choice as they have reduced the thickness compared to the old 392:

Also tried on the titanium 927 last year and it's a lovely thing:

(Pics taken from intranet)
    That 927 is lovely, shame the Due are only 30m WR for me that's a big let down

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by McBeardy View Post
    That 927 is lovely, shame the Due are only 30m WR for me that's a big let down
    Agreed, seems ridiculous for a design that is based on a diver's watch (albeit in a much smaller package than its predecessors), that's the reason the 1392 would be my choice.

Master
    The blue dial one looks stunning and is a watch I am keen to try on.

I like some of them

This is total bull...t from the dealer.
    With all due respect I cannot believe that a proper watch dealer (especially a Panerai dealer) can say such things.

Trimis de pe al meu SM-N975F folosind Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Plake View Post
    Wonderful stuff.

I do like the designs and I really like the look of that 338 but Panerai as a brand really does seem to love actively taking the piss out of their loyal customers.
    I just had a total different experience with Panerai.
    Some of you may recall my problem with not being able to wear normal/standard size straps due to my gorilla size wrist.
    Since March (when I bought my 372) I've been trying to exchange my brand new Asso and black cautchouch straps that came in the box with some XL ones, here and on the Paneristi.
    This was until this Monday when I just had an idea: why not write to Panerai Concierge.europe@panerai.com and tell them my story.
    To my total surprise and satisfaction the answer came promptly:"Please go to the initial point of sale and the dealer will be more than happy to exchange those for you and so you will be able to enjoy your new timepiece properly.
    First class customer service.
    And I do have more positive exemples.
    So please....if you don't know exactly from first hand experience what/if happened, please refrain from any malitious comments
    P.S.: that previous "not wear your Panerai Submersible 300m while showering and all" is a complete Bull.. it"

Last edited by marius; 24th May 2020 at 10:19.

Master
    I'm a huge fan of the 42mm Panerai models. I had a 392 and a 523 many years ago - I think these were the first 42mm 1950 cased pieces. However, I'm not a big fan of date wheels, especially when they're on the same dial as the Panerai font numerals. Since then, I've had a couple of Dues that I really liked - no date and manual wind, and the 682 diver. I miss the Dues and the 682, but I now have the 959 which is the gray dialed diver. I can forgive the date, kind of, because it's not battling with other numbers on the dial.

The 42mm 1950 case is, in my opinion, beautiful. Really interesting geometry, and the perfect size for my little wrist.

simon

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by marius View Post
    I just had a total different experience with Panerai.
    Some of you may recall my problem with not being able to wear normal/standard size straps due to my gorilla size wrist.
    Since March (when I bought my 372) I've been trying to exchange my brand new Asso and black cautchouch straps that came in the box with some XL ones, here and on the Paneristi.
    This was until this Monday when I just had an idea: why not write to Panerai Concierge.europe@panerai.com and tell them my story.
    To my total surprise and satisfaction the answer came promptly:"Please go to the initial point of sale and the dealer will be more than happy to exchange those for you and so you will be able to enjoy your new timepiece properly.
    First class customer service.
    And I do have more positive exemples.
    So please....if you don't know exactly from first hand experience what/if happened, please refrain from any malitious comments
    P.S.: that previous "not wear your Panerai Submersible 300m while showering and all" is a complete Bull.. it"

Your defence of the brand sounds and reads just like i once was, i got ridiculed and scorn from some members here because of it. You can search for one pretty long thread concerning a PAM 305 that got pretty intense.

The UK service centres reputation was dire back when I collected. They opened a 232 with the wrong tool and scored the rear of the case body. They simply denied it, after arguing for a period they begrudgingly polished it.

The 305 I mentioned has an in-house movement of course and servicing is, or was then, factory only. It was returned with significant case damage. The case was eventually replaced after lots of arguing. I also had a 382 that was returned for a bezel replacement, guess what, it was returned damaged.

I could go on but have no desire to relive it all. If service and customer liason has improved that would be good, albeit it is very very long overdue.

As to boutique staff, i have no experience but the original Panerai dealer network knew their stuff better. Factory outlets are more about slick presentation with limited staff knowledge it seems.

Back wearing the 44mm base 560 today and forgotten how much I do enjoy it once or twice a week. Also makes me rethink of buying the 42mm. Maybe when the boutique open I’ll drop in and inspect the 1028 on a strap rather than the replacement. But may case my eyes on another blue dial watch instead.

The base has a charm of its own. Yes the polished case is a bit boring and the Bettarine style somewhat slab sided.

Now if they made a 42mm 372. That would be a yes a BIG YES.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

The 927 looks lovely, I tried it on in Harrods several months back....I said I think I prefer a version without the date, the salesperson told me such a version doesn’t exist. On the train home I checked the Panerai website.....it’s the 728

Journeyman
    The 560 is superb. I think I’m going have to try one on when the AD reopens.

I just want to know why anyone needs a date complication on a dive watch? In case you forget what day it is 20m underwater?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    Was it April 1st? Don’t swim in a 300m rated Panerai Sub? I’m astonished they would say that frankly. If that is true then you shouldn’t swim in a Rolex sub. I think I’d challenge them on that. It’s even called a submersible ffs.
    I think that is misinformation.
    I bought a 683 from a dealer and was told no such thing. I have often used it in water without issues.

Master

I bought a 1392 in January. Have always liked the design and had 4/5 44mm but they ultimately looked like a pebble on my small wrists. The 42mm is a great compromise in heft and thickness.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by watchmad; 25th May 2020 at 14:26.