closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: White Spirit spillage and my puppy - please help!

White Spirit spillage and my puppy - please help!

Evening all,

I’ve spilled around 50ml of white spirit on my patio and edge of artificial grass. I’ve brushed it with hot soapy water and rinsed with cold water but I’m so stressed that it’s going to harm our puppy. For someone suffering with acute anxiety, I’m currently typing this whilst on the bloody ceiling:(

Can anyone tell me how I can get rid of the WS please? Should I use the pressure washer to dilute it out of existence? Or will that just spread the problem around?

As she’s not able to go out for walks until Monday she has to be able to go in the garden.

This sort of thing must happen all the time so I’m hoping that someone will have a solution for me.

I’ve been Googling it but didn’t get an answer.
    Many thanks.

Master
    I wouldn’t worry, she hasn’t drunk any yet? I’m sure she’ll love the smell of it, if I drop a bit of petrol when filling up the lawn mower the dog goes wild for it. Just dilute it with a detergent if you’re really worried.

Sounds like you've done all the right things, lots of soapy water, a good rinse down and all should be fine, try not to worry about it as any residual odour will probably keep the pup away from that area.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

She hasn’t been near it yet thankfully. Pic for cuteness....

20 gallon betta tank mates

Wow, she's a cutie. I would pour a little washing up liquid over the spillage, scrub it in a bit (no need to go mad) and jet wash the area. You won't have any issues.

I would suggest hosing it down will be more than enough. It should evaporate overnight and be gone tomorrow morning. It was only 50ml.

I would have thought most of the spillage would simply evaporate.

Any left over you will have sorted via dilution with water. If in doubt, dilute some more with a few well placed buckets of water.

if you want to keep the wee cutie away from the area you can spray or spill some vinegar or lemon(citrus) juice in the area, most dogs will take one sniff and avoid at all costs. i'm actually not sure she would be interested in it? my dogs always seem to avoid any kind of chemical/household cleaner type products.

Puppies aren't idiots, though they sometimes do a good impression of one. She won't go anywhere near the tiny residue that's left. Everything is going to be OK!

Thanks for your advice, I feel a tad calmer now. She’s not been with us three weeks yet and I absolutely love her, even though she’s shredding us with the puppy biting. And she seems obsessed with me, much the displeasure of my wife. She never leaves my side!

I couldn’t live with myself if I caused her harm.

So do you guys think I’ve done enough and that it’ll evaporate overnight? Or should I play safe and scrub I’m some washing up liquid then power wash it?

EDIT - I had a couple more replies while typing this so please don’t think I’m ignoring your very helpful posts.
    Last edited by TaketheCannoli; 21st May 2020 at 22:08.

Master
    You have done everything you can. If it makes you feel better throw more hot water over it, but will be fine by the morning.

She is gorgeous by the way. Love to get a dog to keep our now single cat company, but concerned he will hate it, as doesn’t play well with others!

It will be gone in the morning...if not already.

Do what will make you feel comfortable that you've done everything possible to protect her health. One of my neighbours and my niece (14 years old) both own Cockapoos and they are a delight; beautiful natured dogs. The nipping/biting subsides after around 6 months.

Master
    Great advice and support above. You’ve done the right things....relax and pet your pooch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    As most have said. Bucket of soapy water job done.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    This will seem a bit superfluous given the advice already provided, but a bit of detergent or soap then a couple of buckets of water or half a minute with a hosepipe or a watering can would render it harmless I'm sure.

Master
    Just seen this, I used to splash gallons of the stuff on the floor when cleaning up grease and oil etc as an apprentice. If left unattended, it will evaporate but leave a invisible coating and it will pong as a give away. That coating can do damage to skin.

However the good news, as already said, is that if you pour soapy water over it and then wash it away with clean water, it is job done and the dogs feet are 100% safe. We used washing up liquid, the one that leaves your hands as soft as your face.

It really is panic over.

As said already (many times) will have largely evaporated o/n.

Even better than hot water to get rid of any smelly residue would be a steam hose if you have wallpaper stripper. Nothing to worry about anyway.

Thanks everyone, really appreciate your help and support :)
    Last edited by TaketheCannoli; 21st May 2020 at 23:01.

Update

Thanks again for the advice. Late last night I cleaned the area again with pure washing up liquid then hot soapy water, finally swilling with loads of cold water. It rained overnight and is now very windy so hopefully this morning all the excess water will be gone.

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    She hasn’t been near it yet thankfully. Pic for cuteness....

20 gallon betta tank mates
    Wheat breed is that? We’re looking at getting our first family dog later this year/next year?

Grand Master
    You’re worrying over nothing, it’ll evaporate away!

Hope all goes well though you seem to have sorted the matter out by diluting the WS.
    Didn't have to post the above but just wanted to say what a beautiful looking pup you have, hope all goes well for now and in the future.

Regards.

Keith.

.... She’s not been with us three weeks yet and I absolutely love her, even though she’s shredding us with the puppy biting. And she seems obsessed with me, much the displeasure of my wife. She never leaves my side!.....
    Dogs are good for anxiety - seems that you chose the right kind of dog and she knows she has to help you...

She’s an F1 Cockapoo; pedigree working Spaniel and Poodle as parents.

Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    Wheat breed is that? We’re looking at getting our first family dog later this year/next year?

Cute dog, my in laws have one of those types, very easy going.

My goodness she's beautifully groomed.

I'm curious, how did you manage to get that sorted during these times? Are dog breeders operating as normal?

She was born on 8th March and therefore pre-lockdown. We've been in contact with the breeder for the last 18 months about taking a dog from this litter, we have a family member who has a sibling of ours from the previous litter.

We knew we wanted a dark red girl and, as there was only one of those in the litter, we didn't have to go and choose her. We couldn't go to meet her before her homecoming date.

On handover day she was put in a travel-pen on the breeder's lawn and I took her from the pen. The breeder and I were never closer than probably four metres.
    Payment was made via bank transfer.

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    I'm curious, how did you manage to get that sorted during these times? Are dog breeders operating as normal?

She was born on 8th March and therefore pre-lockdown. We've been in contact with the breeder for the last 18 months about taking a dog from this litter, we have a family member who has a sibling of ours from the previous litter.

We knew we wanted a dark red girl and, as there was only one of those in the litter, we didn't have to go and choose her. We couldn't go to meet her before her homecoming date.

On handover day she was put in a travel-pen on the breeder's lawn and I took her from the pen. The breeder and I were never closer than probably four metres.
    Payment was made via bank transfer.
    Ah, that explains it then. What watch were you wearing?

I asked because we've been discussing getting a dog for a long time but we're more minded to take a little rescue mutt. Obviously at the moment we can't go and visit anywhere to see the mutts.

Thanks! I think cockapoo is where we are heading. Any advice greatly appreciated! (Sorry to hijack your thread)

I asked because we've been discussing getting a dog for a long time but we're more minded to take a little rescue mutt. Obviously at the moment we can't go and visit anywhere to see the mutts.
    Dogs trust centres are closed to walk in public, but are allowing visits by appointment to look at certain dogs. Have a look on their website for what mutts are at your nearest centre, if you have one nearby

Haha, I was wearing this....

No apology needed! Drop me a message if you want to chat dogs (or watches).

Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    Thanks! I think cockapoo is where we are heading. Any advice greatly appreciated! (Sorry to hijack your thread)

Master
    Lovely dog! We have a Miniature Labradoodle of a similar size. Whenever I'm feeling a little off colour she really gives me a lift. Enjoy!

Sent from my SM-A202F using TZ-UK mobile app

It’ll evaporate / just take her out on a lead to avoid the area for a day or two - all will be fine !

Master
    Next door neighbours got a cockapoo pup just as lockdown started, we're "endangered species" category as so can't get a cuddle/play with her, bloody annoying, nieghbours say we can have her to babysit when all is clear. Your wee one looks lovely.

All good I’m pleased to report