closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Chain Hoist / Lifting Equipment Advice

Master

Chain Hoist / Lifting Equipment Advice

A bit of a long shot but, as we all will have experienced, the members of this forum present a very broad cross section of experience and professions! I could do with some advice on lifting equipment regarding chain hoists and similar.

I have a load of approx. 300kg that is to be lifted by only a short distance (~1000mm). I have a davit arm that reaches over the load (with a lockable geared trolley to allow movement of the load along the beam of the davit) and the load itself is equalised to a single lifting point by a spreader bar/load leveller. Due to clearance issues beneath the load, it will have to be lifted to almost the maximum height of the davit arm which presents a further clearance issue in fitting a hoist between the load and the trolley on the davit arm (the davit has no integrated lifting capability).

CAD shows the clearance between eye on load and eye on trolley/davit to be approximately 250mm (could go down slightly).

I have identified acompact chain hoist that is 217mm from eye to eye, but that's still very tight and I don't trust the tolerances yet to be pushing ahead with a solution that is so tight. I am optimistically wondering if there is a different type of device or process that I might have overlooked that would use even less headroom?

Summary: lifting device of less than <=200mm in length required to lift a load to a height of ~1000mm and rated to ~500kg.

Any ideas?!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Can't you set a tripod with hoist over the load (depending on size), hoist up to required height to transfer load onto Davit arm, move the load then lower in reverse order?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    Can't you set a tripod with hoist over the load (depending on size), hoist up to required height to transfer load onto Davit arm, move the load then lower in reverse order?
    Unfortunately not, the footprint of the load is too large to be feasible for a tripod and there is permanently installed equipment surrounding (and beneath) the load. The davit was installed as a means of negotiating this awkward situation but unfortunately the payload has grown taller and the clearance up to to the davit is reducing. And although I have a solution to raise the davit arm, I can't implement it because of a clearance issue on the other side, where the load gets transferred to. Absolute nightmare.

I have a couple of chain hoists that will lift 3 tonnes. You're welcome to borrow them if suitable as I'm not really sure of exactly what you're trying to do. I'm in Sussex.
    Ray

Thomas Reid
    Can you change direction at the top bit? I'm thinking in terms of pulleys, having little experience with chain hoists. However, my first thought if I was using a pulley would be to have one at the top allowing me to change direction and have whatever is doing the lifting (machine or person) at the side.

Best wishes,
    Bob

Can you mount a turning block (pulley) on the davit arm carrying a wire rope of suitable length whereby the hoist is anchored to the base of the trolley and pulls the rope at an angle? Again, space may be a problem, although any strong point will do as an anchor so long as you can lock off the load once it's been raised.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    Can you mount a turning block (pulley) on the davit arm carrying a wire rope of suitable length whereby the hoist is anchored to the base of the trolley and pulls the rope at an angle? Again, space may be a problem, although any strong point will do as an anchor so long as you can lock off the load once it's been raised.
    Hmm redirecting it could possibly work. Floor is concrete and could probably find a convenient point to fix to. I will investigate, thanks.