closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: How many watches do you actually wear?

How many watches do you actually wear?

Maybe it’s due to staying home the last few months, but I find that I mainly wear one or two of my watches and the rest just sit in the watch box now...

I only have four, so nothing too extravagant, but I feel I could easily sell two and be just as happy just keeping two.

My two keepers would be my DaytonaC and BLNR, and I think I won’t miss my hulk of speedy sapphire sandwich at all.

So what do you guys think? Is it just the lockdown blues talking, of have any of you also found that less watches makes you just as happy.... I am a little worried about potential sellers regret...

strange times indeed provoking different attitudes and practices , i retired 3 weeks ago , i have only worn 2 of my 12 watches since , mind i have been nowhere to warrent a change or different selection. i was/ am considering treating myself to a retirement watch but i will now wait to see how the situation evloves, what the new normal will be and if i will need another watch at all ? :-(, but there may be irresistible temptation with reductions in prices
    will review my situation in a couple of months time , i will not be selling any of my quality watches in the meantime , :-)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rsteenekamp View Post
    Maybe it’s due to staying home the last few months, but I find that I mainly wear one or two of my watches and the rest just sit in the watch box now...

I only have four, so nothing too extravagant, but I feel I could easily sell two and be just as happy just keeping two.

My two keepers would be my DaytonaC and BLNR, and I think I won’t miss my hulk of speedy sapphire sandwich at all.

So what do you guys think? Is it just the lockdown blues talking, of have any of you also found that less watches makes you just as happy.... I am a little worried about potential sellers regret...
    We're all different but I've always found having fewer watches makes me not just as happy but happier. I hate the idea of having any significant amount of money sitting in a watch that's not being worn. So, G-Shock aside, I have two, one for work and one for the weekend/holidays. Despite lockdown, I still make a point of wearing the workwatch during the day.

Master
    I have for the last few years only had two nice watches apart from G-shock Casio and Citizen.

However i am really thinking of going down to one as i just don't need anymore...

Craftsman
    I retired last year and wore on rotation three of my watches during the week - a couple of Omega PO and a Panerai PAM90.
    My other watches -Rolex Deepsea, IWC Aquatimer & Omega Speedmaster Racing- I wore again on rotation but these were saved for Friday night date nights with my wife. Since lockdown these have remained in my watch box.
    For my 60th this year I treated myself to an Omega Seamaster James Bond, I switched this onto the rubber strap and now wear most days.

Craftsman
    I always think about downsizing, because I wear the same watch for extended periods of time, but in reality I like having the option of changing. And occasionally something will flip, and I'll wear a different watch for an extended period.

So I do get through stuff in my box. Just not on a daily or weekly rotation.

Master
    I think I must be the exception as I have probably worn all the watches bar one in my collection aside from the ones that I don't have at home (for obvious reasons and because I mostly have them for sentimental reasons) since lockdown began. During "normal" times several watches would get less wear as they weren't suitable for activities I was doing but they can all be worn for most things at home should I choose to!

This thread has reminded me that there is one watch I haven't worn since lockdown started so I'll have to make that the next one out of the box!

Maybe it’s just this lockdown and not having as many opportunities to wear different watches.... when things eventually return to normal I may feel differently and want the choice again.... mmmm

Craftsman
    99% of the time I wear my seamaster squired roughly 7-months ago. But now thinking I should start rotating a bit more.

I think this will be a typical pattern, a main wearer of some kind, interjected with alternatives from time to time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by CatalystGuy View Post
    99% of the time I wear my seamaster squired roughly 7-months ago. But now thinking I should start rotating a bit more.

I think this will be a typical pattern, a main wearer of some kind, interjected with alternatives from time to time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I think that’s pretty normal, whenever I get something new I pretty much wear it constantly for a good while - eventually that new shine wears off and I start rotating again, and get to fall in love with what I already owned (and had been neglecting) again

Master
    Have five watches, mostly wear my 14060m and 214270. My 16570, Speedy and 2254 don't see an awful lot of wrist time. I just prefer these two, but I probably like to hoard things and always feel loathe to let things go. I might move the other three on for something else in due course...

My regular rotation goes Rolex Sub Date Ceramic, Grand Seiko Snowflake and G-Shock GW-5000, probably 3 days per week for the Rolex and GS each, and a day for the G-Shock

Three is pretty manageable

Master
    Lockdown has led to me wearing more of my watches then normal, e.g. my plexi PAMs that I would not wear to work. Not wearing my beaters for the same reason.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Really enjoying two G-Shocks, Seiko SPB079 and my Sub NDc. Haven't really touched my BLNR or SLA021 and think both might be on the way out. Like you my mind could change when it's back to normal. I have a SD43 coming soon and I'm researching watches with heart rate monitors for cycling so we'll see what they do to the collection when they come. On the whole I think I'm turning anti-hype on the watch front and might replace the BLNR with a Polar Exp 2 or the current white dial Seamaster 300.

Master
    COVID has absolutely no impact on watch wearing what so ever. If I die of it, then obviously I won't be wearing them anymore but as I am still alive, I intend to live life as normal as I can.

I’ve now been at home since the 1st of February (convalescence after surgery followed by lockdown). On that date I owned 18 watches, I now own 20 of which I wear 16.

I never wear the same watch two days running, which by my calculations means that I have rotated through my collection 7.25 times...

Three of the four watches I don’t wear will be on SC once I can go into the Post Office again, the other one will be given to one of my sons for his 30th birthday.

Simon

Master
    At the moment just one. Thinned out and already modest collection last year, now just wearing my Apple Watch whilst I wait to bite the bullet on service/repair for another.

Craftsman
    It's interesting. I think some people have watch rules, and only wear certain watches for certain occasions, thus lockdown will have reduced the usefulness of a percentage of their collection.

I personally am of the wear whatever I want persuasion. Have worn a G10 with a suit, and a vintage gold dress watch on brown leather with shorts and a hoody.

If I stick to 3 or less then they all get worn. That's why it seems to be the magic number for me.

Anything above that then something is left sitting in the draw not being used.

As opposed to having variety I am increasingly drawn to having a small collection of very similar pieces with only small differences between them. Its probably due to my continual need for symmetry and patterns. Not sure. At the moment its CWC RN quartz divers, next month who knows. If it does change then it will be back to the CWC's at some point without doubt.

My collection seems to have split organically into around 20 watches I wear for social occasions and suchlike, and 10 that are dailies - and it's that 10 which, for obvious reasons, are getting worn all the time at present. I tend to change watches once or twice a day - with those with Tritium markers or great lume going-on late in the day prior to walking the dogs, around midnight. This was consolidated recently when I bought a Wolf branded leather watch box to hold the dailies...

Silly habits, silly hobby, but must admit I enjoy it.

I only ever wear one, but sometimes it's a different one.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

SydR
    In the last 214 days I’ve worn 43 different watches from my collection.

Master
    I have 5 in my regular rotation - Breitling, Eterna, Smiths, Spinnaker and UN. I have a Seiko and Parnis I wear occasionally and 3 or so other watches that I wear maybe once or twice a year just to check they still work and should really sell.
    As I work from home most of the time anyway I rarely have an occasion where the watch I wear has any practical consideration beyond my mood.

Master
    3 of 8.

1. My Speedbird 3 is almost never in the box.

2. My Steeldive 1975 comes out occasionally.

3. A cheap Casio WaveCeptor with full luminescence is for when I’m biking and gardening etc.

The other 5 just sit there in the box looking dumbfounded. 😅

I've got a lot of watches but probably wear about half a dozen regularly.

I'm a collector though and they are only going up in price as they sit there.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Journeyman

How many watches do you actually wear?

I’ve got 3 and all get worn.

Before Covid it was one for work, one for the evenings and then a GShock for the gym/garden.

Now seems to be similar and still switching throughout the day.

I did have 4 watches in the collection but sold one about a year ago as it wasn’t getting worn.

I’m now currently looking at another watch so we will see if it’’s one in and one out or the forth one stays!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This has been my evening after work watch for about a month or so...

But I did give this an outing for the weekend just gone...

The other 5 dozen are sat in boxes all patiently waiting for their turn

Craftsman
    I have 8, including a Garmin. I’ve worn 7 of them recently. The last, a Steinhart beater, has been all but replaced by the Garmin when I’m out biking.

Blog Entries
    I’ve been wearing all mine except for my Dad’s Air-King-Date from 1978 (as it has no quick set date), it hardly gets any wrist time. I’ll do a SOTC soon

I was on holiday for 6 weeks before COVID lockdown. Took one watch. I couldn’t wait to get home to switch - although I love that one watch.
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 27th May 2020 at 22:45.

I wear 27 of the 3 watches I own to varying degrees.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Just one, my Fenix 6S.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    I wear 27 of the 3 watches I own to varying degrees.
    how does that work Andy?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    these two which im switching between quite happily at the moment.

Master
    I have 4 nice watches and wear all of them but could let go of one. For me 3 is enough BUT I will be adding more over time as I enjoy the variety.

1. My watch for rougher wear is a longines conquest
    2. Daily i swap between Tudor GMT and Tudor BB58
    3. Occasional weekend and date night watch I wear omega aqua terra golf edition

The bonkers thing is because I’m at home all day I fluctuate between 3 watches some times I change the watch 2 or 3 times a day.

In fact I see an article about one of the watches I own then think ohhh I’ll go and put that on!

Now the other think is I’ve got obsessed about changing straps, I’m so bored at times with my 12 week lock down it gives me something to do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    how does that work Andy?
    He wears them at jaunty angles - 'degrees' so to speak. :0)

Master
    I’ve been wearing all my collection during lockdown, something to do. This one today which I wore through 6 form and university.

Master
    I had quite a modest collection of 8 last year but due to the change in circumstances have had to sell most and surprisingly don’t miss them as yet. I still keep an eye on here though!

Have kept the Breitling my wife bought for my 40th and a Bremont Special Projects. Also bought a Garmin fenix 6 pro at the start of lock down and it hasn’t left my wrist. Never thought I’d go the smart watch route but haven’t looked back.

Having said that I would like a sub no date or explorer 2 sometime in the future maybe when funds allow.