closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: A Speedmaster - and a look at Houston Command Centre >>

Blog Entries

A Speedmaster - and a look at Houston Command Centre >>

I have owned speedmasters before - Sapphire sandwich; Speedy Tuesday, I'm sure some others. And this does not include the digital variations, X-33 of various editions. But last week I took delivery of another Speedmaster. Oh no I can hear you say - not one of the Special Editions / Limited Editions? Well in fact yes. It was released in 2018 to commemorate the 50th anniversary of Apollo 8, the first manned space flight to reach the moon and back.

This reminded me I visited the Houston Command Centre back in 2009, when on a brief visit with some of our management team, over in Houston at our head offices. I thought I'd share some photos relevant to the Apollo program as a bit of history.

There we visited a Saturn rocket used to propel the Apollo missions into space. It was truly colossal and lay sideways in a huge hanger. Along one side were displays commemorating each of the Apollo missions along with the insignias of each. You can just make out Apollo 8 down the end there.

Other parts of the site were working labs - it was not a museum - we were lucky to see the training cockpit for one of the space shuttles. Loads of buttons and controls. I guess a lot more than the simple command modules of the Apollo missions.

Here is the Mission Control Center (sic)

I have quite a few other pictures but most relevant to us is:

Omega can't help but go for some 'free' publicity!

This neatly dovetails to my new acquisition. It nominally is 44.5mm diameter, but the dimension that I read that affects fit for me is the lug to lug length is 49mm - so I knew this one would not be too big for me. It is not too thick either at around 12mm. It is a full ceramic case like other DSOM - but what makes it so different is the movement is based on the manual wind 1861 of Speedmaster Professional fame and is called the Cal 1869 - which I don't know if on purpose - is a numeric anagram for 1968, the year Apollo 8 was launched.

Couple of reasons I really like this - I am a massive Pink Floyd fan so how cool to have Lovel's words, "We'll See You on the Other Side", so close to the words from the 1976 Dark Side of The Moon Album, "See you on the Dark Side (as a matter of fact their is no dark side) - and escribed "Dark Side of the Moon"

Immediately you can see something is quite peculiar about the version. It is almost a skeltonised styling with bridges laser etched to simulate the surface of the moon. I like the yellow accents which is mirrored in the leather strap with racing hole finishes - the tang buckle holes are reinforced though for the ceramic pin fastening. The skeleton faced is shown here:

On wrist it looks so different - I hope you agree in a good way - from any others I have. The lume includes all hands / chronograph measures as well - which lights up rather well in the dark - here is an approximation

I hope you enjoyed this mini-review.

FootNote: Thank you Kash for not buying this one!
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 21st May 2020 at 16:44.

Thanks Martyn, great write up as ever.

I've coveted one of those massive speedmasters ever since I saw one at the Space Expo.

Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

I really like that, Martyn.

I’ve always thought that if I went down the route of one of the 44.5mm Speedmasters, my choice would be a GSOTM, but this one is very cool too.

Simon

Blog Entries
    Great review of a cracking watch Martyn, I was looking at this when Kash put his up for sale but the time is wrong for me (my time not the watch accuracy:-D).
    I agree with you in that it looks like like no other Speedy and in a good way.

Craftsman
    Awesome review! Thanks for posting.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Nice review. Thanks!

I had the pleasure of trying one of these on just before lockdown. I was surprised just how well it fit my tiny wrist. I’ve always been a fan but have always bought the automatics, due to smaller sizes being available. Maybe there’s a degree of optical illusion due to the black case but it really opened my eyes to a D/GSOTM one day. If I’d actually had the funds available back in February, I’d have been very tempted to buy on the spot!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Great watch Martyn, having tried it on previously can’t agree more how well it works visually.

No counterweight to obscure the rear view, which is just as great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A great thread, thanks for posting it.

Thank you for sharing

Sent from my SM-G960U using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Crouchy View Post
    Great review of a cracking watch Martyn, I was looking at this when Kash put his up for sale but the time is wrong for me (my time not the watch accuracy:-D).
    I agree with you in that it looks like like no other Speedy and in a good way.
    This actually is Kash’s watch - he had it on 14d return from Banks Lyons. Luckily I bagged it on its return thanks to the lovely Ruby I had to pay the dealers price though - which was at discount but not what it was on briefly here.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebird84 View Post
    A great thread, thanks for posting it.
    Quote Originally Posted by engrneil View Post
    Thank you for sharing

Sent from my SM-G960U using TZ-UK mobile app
    Thanks for the kind comments and to others. Maybe I’ll give an update in six months ownership.

I was going to do the traditional unboxing - but thought better of it.

Martyn.

Great write-up and lovely watch, Martyn.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Lovely rear on that.