closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: For those who have both the PRS-29A and the PRS-29AM - which do you wear more?

  1. #1
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Calgary, Canada
    Posts
    14

    For those who have both the PRS-29A and the PRS-29AM - which do you wear more?

    I can't decide between these 2 watches. I like the PRS-29A because it is pure, and it is based on a Smiths watch that existed. I like the PRS-29AM because it just looks great as a weekend leisure trip type watch, and vintage adventurer type watch.

    I suppose for those who actually own both watches, you'll really know which watch is the better one by virtue of being the one you reach out for more?

  2. #2
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    79
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzlymambo View Post
    I can't decide between these 2 watches. I like the PRS-29A because it is pure, and it is based on a Smiths watch that existed. I like the PRS-29AM because it just looks great as a weekend leisure trip type watch, and vintage adventurer type watch.

    I suppose for those who actually own both watches, you'll really know which watch is the better one by virtue of being the one you reach out for more?
    Great question. They are both equals.
    I guess the AM is more of a ‘dress’ watch in my eyes, looks better on a leather strap so is perfect for wearing in a more formal setting, but has the robustness to wear once you leave the office and go adventuring.
    The A is more ‘casual’ by comparison.

    I can’t help but returning to the idea that these are the only 2 watches I need...


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    2,311
    I don’t have either of them but I’ve been tempted more than once by the 29A. I suppose you could always get one and get the other at later date.

  4. #4
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Calgary, Canada
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGent View Post
    Great question. They are both equals.
    I guess the AM is more of a ‘dress’ watch in my eyes, looks better on a leather strap so is perfect for wearing in a more formal setting, but has the robustness to wear once you leave the office and go adventuring.
    The A is more ‘casual’ by comparison.

    I can’t help but returning to the idea that these are the only 2 watches I need...


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The thing that draws me most about the A is that I am a sucker for nostalgia, and because the A is based on a real military issued Smiths watch, it has grade A street cred. I know I will wear it and like it, because all of my watches are similar in look and feel.

    The AM on the other hand is like you said dressier and prettier, and I don't have any other watch that's similar. I have other watches similar to the A. I would reach out to the AM just because I don't have any other watch like it, so it's nice for a change of look and feel. However, I have had blued hand watches with whitish dials before (IWC Portuguieser chrono and Dornbluth 99.1) and I don't have those watches any more, but I still have black sports watches, so that says a lot about my true aesthetic preferences. Both of those previous watches I've had, had even dressier matte silver dials which were very beautiful - but the beauty wasn't enough to prevent me from eventually selling them. Maybe I just like "wearing jeans" more?

  5. #5
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    79
    I think this might be one of those times when saying “get both” isn’t a cop out...


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    Grand Master abraxas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    London
    Posts
    32,192
    Get both and sell one down the road if you are not wearing it.
    How to make a secret watch: https://i.imgur.com/O4Ino7v.jpg

  7. #7
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    Charlotte, United States
    Posts
    262
    Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    I don’t have either of them but I’ve been tempted more than once by the 29A. I suppose you could always get one and get the other at later date.
    Don't wait to long especially on the 29a because Eddie put out a survey some time back as to what movement people would prefer for the Smiths Military because his stocks were dwindling down and with the ETA movements being harder to source was wondering if people would prefer putting a Miyota 9039 instead of the ETA 2801, or just wait and hope that the 2801 could be sourced down the road.

    I believe the survey went towards keeping the 2801. That being said I think someone suggested using the Selitta SW210 in place of the ETA 2801 which I think would be a viable option and would definitely keep it more like the original. Personally I am hand winding guy and would always prefer the manual wind.
    Last edited by kneadking; 22nd May 2020 at 09:02.

  8. #8
    Administrator swanbourne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Sheffield, England
    Posts
    46,669
    Quote Originally Posted by kneadking View Post
    Don't wait to long especially on the 29a because Eddie put out a survey some time back as to what movement people would prefer for the Smiths Military because his socks were dwindling down and with the ETA movements being harder to source was wondering if people would prefer putting a Miyota 9039 instead of the ETA 2801, or just wait and hope that the 2801 could be sourced down the road.

    I believe the survey went towards keeping the 2801. That being said I think someone suggested using the Selitta SW210 in place of the ETA 2801 which I think would be a viable option and would definitely keep it more like the original. Personally I am hand winding guy and would always prefer the manual wind.
    The 2801 or SW210 is also my preference but there's no ETA to be had and a 12 month wait for Sellita.

    Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

  9. #9
    Master sweets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Bristol - UK
    Posts
    4,242
    I had the A and have the AM, which tells you my preference.
    It is not that the AM is intrinsically any better, imho, but that the AM offers me something no other watch in my collection has. That lovely cream dial and really elegant blued hands are not something I have in any other watch.
    Conversely, I do have other black-dialled military style watches.
    But my collection is not yours, so get which ever fits into your collection.
    D

  10. #10
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Brussels, Belgium
    Posts
    395
    I don't have the A but I have the 29B, the older PRS-53, a Smiths W10 and the AM and all are getting appriximatively the same wrist time, it really depends on my mindset. So, like others have suggested, I would take both.

    Envoyé de mon SM-G950F en utilisant Tapatalk

  11. #11
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    London
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzlymambo View Post
    I can't decide between these 2 watches. I like the PRS-29A because it is pure, and it is based on a Smiths watch that existed. I like the PRS-29AM because it just looks great as a weekend leisure trip type watch, and vintage adventurer type watch.

    I suppose for those who actually own both watches, you'll really know which watch is the better one by virtue of being the one you reach out for more?
    I have both, but they arrived yesterday so I'm not in a position to comment on wrist time, but there is definitely room for both in my collection.
    Despite the similarities they offer a very different feel/vibe/look.
    If i could only keep one i think it would be the AM because I'm in love with the dial and hands!
    Unboxing video on my YT here:
    https://youtu.be/evbttzGqPTY

  12. #12
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Down south jukin
    Posts
    2,967
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    I had the A and have the AM, which tells you my preference.
    It is not that the AM is intrinsically any better, imho, but that the AM offers me something no other watch in my collection has. That lovely cream dial and really elegant blued hands are not something I have in any other watch.
    Conversely, I do have other black-dialled military style watches.
    But my collection is not yours, so get which ever fits into your collection.
    D

    Reading what you have written I realise that’s why I also have the AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information