closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: There's No Such Thing as Normal; There's You and There's Everybody Else.

There's No Such Thing as Normal; There's You and There's Everybody Else.

On Monday I responded to a post on a local Facebook page. It was a father looking for someone who could remove links from a watch bracelet given by him and his wife to their 30 year old son for his birthday. I offered to do it for them. The father and son came over yesterday at around 1pm and it took around 15 minutes to get the sizing spot on. The son seemed a little distracted and was constantly writing notes in a notepad but all he was actually writing were '1s' and '0s' with the very odd 'X.' Anyway they left very happy that the watch could be worn and fitted well. I also explained how the micro adjustment worked. I refused payment and asked them to contribute a small amount to their favourite charity. A little later in the day I received the following message from the father:

‘Alan. I can't thank you enough for your help. It was more than you realise. I thought I was coming alone, but XXXX decided to come and I did not have a chance to explain. Until week 6 of the lockdown, XXXX was a regular, stand-up guy; sharp as a knife and very outgoing. During week 6 of the lockdown he had a meltdown and is still having severe psychotic episodes thus is now drugged up to his eyeballs in Diazepam and Olanzopine to treat his mania, obsessive and irrational behaviour. He is a different person to my son of 3 weeks ago and hardly recognisable to me. He said to you he was in no hurry to have the strap shortened, but in reality he has talked of nothing else for 48 hours. You see my problem. I can't thank you enough. Your help was timely [no pun] and constructive for him. Bless you. Bob’

And then today, this arrived:

I was blown away. It truly highlights to me that the discussion of mental health issues seemed somewhat abstract as I hadn't experienced the consequences first-hand. Being ex-military I'm generally used to coping with stressful situations and prolonged hardship and haven't had much exposure to those suffering - that has changed!
    Last edited by Skier; 21st May 2020 at 20:39.

Very bad road to go down, can happen to different people for different reasons.

Happened to me when I worked my first full time job.

Long hours, poor pay and feeling like I had no friends there, people talking behind my back and a bad manager / bosses.

I went down hill fast and don't think I ever really recovered fully even to this day 18 years later

Indeed, it shows how individual we are, both genetics and life experiences. You shone a light, no matter how fleeting, into his life and who knows how that may grow (light can penetrate all manners of darkness). I wish them well, and applaud you for your generosity of spirit. [P.S. Your tidy room puts my temporary man-flat abode, i.e. me, to shame!]

Master
    Good for you Alan you made someones day!

Craftsman
    Alan - I wish there was more people like you in the world. I also appreciate that you have highlighted this, I am of the opinion that the lockdown is impacting everyone but to a degree with some people more vulnerable.

Mental health is no joking matter and makes me think we should all be a little kinder and look out for one another a little more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Well done - I've always believed that the things that cost the nothing are the things which make the most difference to people.

That's a great story Alan. Looks like your kindness went a long way

Hope the new watch owner is coping better and on his road to recovery.

Craftsman
    Well done Alan, and thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Well done Alan and thanks for sharing. Warmed my heart this morning.

Thomas Reid
    Interesting story. It is certainly difficult to predict how people are going to respond to stress. Indeed, sometimes it is difficult to predict how I'm going to respond.

Best wishes,
    Bob