closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: So not vintage, what about one of these two?

Master

So not vintage, what about one of these two?

So I have picked out a couple of rotten looking GMTs according to people on here, so i am looking at two quite different ideas (and cheaper)

Option 1: get a new Rolex explorer from an AD when they reopen at list price
    Option 2: https://www.panerai.com/gb/en/collec...le---42mm.html get this, but at a 30% discount.

Therefore, both will be virtually the same money. I know they are not exactly competitors, but I do like them individually. In my collection i have a polar, Tudor GMT, a Tudor Black Bay and a bronze CW.

Where would your money go?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by s1wnw View Post

Where would your money go?
    Coke and mucky women while wearing a vintage Rolex.

Grand Master
    Don’t let your money burn a hole in your pocket!

Patience is paramount, if you really want a GMT wait until a nice one crops up.

Its a funny game, I spent over 3 years looking for a 60s gold Omega Seamaster Deville, I found a real minter eventually but it took ages. Conversely, a couple of vintage Constellations almost fell into my lap last year when I wasn’t particularly looking to buy, I stumbled across them so snapped them up.

Quote Originally Posted by bobdog View Post
    Coke and mucky women while wearing a vintage Rolex.
    Story of my life

Panerai,totally different to your others

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Rolex.
    But imo if you want an older gmt be patient and WAIT for a good one to come along.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    George, is that you?

Explorer.

On sweepinghand there is a really nice black bezel GMT Master due in. Hopefully my lotto numbers come up.

Craftsman
    Not sure you need the forum help on this one? They're both brand new so you're not worried about condition or provenance, so just buy what you like.

Agree with the others though that it sounds like you really want a GMT so just wait for the right one to come along rather than blow a few grand on a compromise.

Master
    Mr s1wnw

You are walking into an unhappy scenario. If you want a GMT, be patient, keep your eyes open and only chose the best. Everything comes to he who waits. It took me five months to find my Daytona and 4 months to buy my GMT, so get yourself clued up, study like a student and get to know everything you need to know and you will eventually land one.

Buy an Explorer only if it is your number one choice because you will will soon regret buying it if it is second to a GMT.

Apprentice
    While i'd echo what others have said about waiting for the GMT, if i had to pick one i'd pick the Rolex. I'd do it on the basis you'll get a better return back on it when you do decide to get a GMT

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Rolex.
    But imo if you want an older gmt be patient and WAIT for a good one to come along.
    This.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

To be honest I’m really struggling to understand your thought process, OP.

You’ve started two threads about specific vintage Rolex GMTs, and both have been shot down by members who are extremely knowledgeable, and who have rightly pointed you in the direction of two excellent sources for a better example.

Now all of a sudden you’re talking about Explorers and Panerais as an alternative.

What do you actually want?

Simon

Craftsman
    Unless your set on the GMT etc., I would cast my net wider as there are plenty of other quality brands / pieces out there that my hit the spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    You should buy the watch you like not what others try to insist you buy. You should also never buy vintage unless you know what your doing it's a minefield and hoping forum members opinions will do the foot work for you well you'll just get screwed. Buying new from an AD no worries out the door and comes with the price tag but something about piece of mind plays in the equation.

I would never ask anyone their thoughts on which watch to buy I would buy what I like and if due diligence is needed I would handle that myself as well too. It's too difficult to kick myself in the ass for my mistakes so I try to keep that from happening from the get go.