closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: French pocket knives - Laguiole etc

Master

French pocket knives - Laguiole etc

I was looking for a new sharpening stone on knivesandtools.co.uk and I wandered into the pocket knife department and had a quick browse. Nothing really caught my eye (not that i'm really looking) but then I happened upon the 'Laguiole' section - wow. Some of the carving/engraving on the spring or spine or whatever that part is, is absolutely beautiful. I'm now weighing up a purchase.

There seem to be three principal manufacturers with Fontenille Pataud looking like the top - has anyone had/does anyone have a 'Laguiole' pocket knife?

This is the model I am considering:

https://www.knivesandtools.co.uk/en/...ewood-l4br.htm

Very good knives but vary widely in quality. That one looks nice.
    Be careful as there are several sizes and most exceed the admissible length for EDC here (in France too but it’s a traditional knife and unless you’re being silly with it they won’t even blink).
    Horn is traditional. Also you have some with another tool or 2, and the end can be rounded like this one or looking like a ladies boot.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Yes so I have heard, lots of imposters.

The particular model I am looking at seems to have a blade <70mm in length, which I understand is considered a UK legal length?

I have a couple of nicer ones, as stated there is some awful rubbish out there too- I guess the brand is not very well protected, or it's just being abused.
    mine have blades of Sandvik 12c27 which is pretty good stuff. the rivets in the shape of a cross are so that the user can extend the blade, drive it into the ground and then give religious thanks for his baguette,Pate, red wine etc for lunch (or so the story goes..)
    I like the exotic handled pieces- bone and horn etc adds to the tactility. I believe the sculpted handle pattern are known as Pigeon wing, but I may be wrong on that one.The honey bee often found on some makers is the napoleonic warrant a bit like our royal warrant.
    heres one with a blade about 55mm that goes to work with me as my fruit knife in its pouch with an eze-lap diamond hone

Last edited by GOAT; 20th May 2020 at 14:30.

Personally not a fan of Fontenille Pataud - mushy grinds, poor fit and shoddy finish. Not that many other Laguiole factory makers do better (lots aren't made in France now, if that matters to you - the rights to use the name are sold). The one in your OP has rubbish bolster to cover fit (where the wood meets the metal part around the pivot) and in your latest image of it open, you can see what may be the start of a recurve in the edge which will make sharpening a faff if you're not kitted up for it. And that's their stock image, so you'd think they'd choose the best of the bunch!

For £145 you can do a lot better by buying from the likes of Great Eastern Cutlery (also known as Tidioute and Northfield's) and still have change to spare. Pocket knives made properly over in the US by a factory using old school methods, but doing them extremely well.

e.g. £100 from their UK dealer:

http://www.mikesknives.co.uk/resources/DSC_0206.jpg

£95

http://www.mikesknives.co.uk/resources/DSC_0231.jpg

£140

http://www.mikesknives.co.uk/resources/DSC_0238.jpg
    Last edited by hughtrimble; 20th May 2020 at 14:22. Reason: Added alternatives

Indeed (it’s actually the cutting edge that needs to be under 3 inches, but the last thing you want to do is argue the fine points of the exemption with the desk sergeant so taking the blade length is easier; it wouldn’t stop me from carrying a knife if I liked the model and the blade exceeded this, but if you have a choice...)

Master
    I have a few knives around the place but can see no reason why I would carry one on my person. I have a "multitool" knife in the toolbox in my car and that's where it stays until I need it!

Quote Originally Posted by tixntox View Post
    I have a few knives around the place but can see no reason why I would carry one on my person. I have a "multitool" knife in the toolbox in my car and that's where it stays until I need it!
    Used mine today whilst out walking. What's in the car can't help you when you're not driving!

We've discussed these knives in the past here. Renaud Aubry and Actiforge were two makers that caught my attention, although I resisted the urge to buy. You've made me want one again, you devil.
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by tixntox View Post
    Conversely, I carry my SAK every day. Use it one way or another, too.

Hi

I bought this one from a mate, Not sure who made it but it's not too badly put together with I think, Olivewood scales

The corkscrew is well off centre though!!

Years ago when knives could be had from fleabay, I picked this Marksman copy up for a little over £5, Can't complain!!

Here's a few more Frenchies but these are fairly old!

Pradel (Swiss type knives- Even with the Swiss flag on them!)

My lad snapped the corkscrew off the larger one whilst trying to uncork a bottle of plonk whilst totally inebriated

Another very similar to the last two, I don't have it any more as I traded it for a limited edition Canal Street slippie!!

It's bigger than the biggest of the white ones!

It has a saw blade too!

John

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rico View Post
    Yes so I have heard, lots of imposters.

The particular model I am looking at seems to have a blade <70mm in length, which I understand is considered a UK legal length?

Unfortunately if it locks it's not legal for EDC in the UK. If it locks you need a 'good reason' to be carrying it.

"Blade automatically locked after unfolding" suggests it does lock.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Unfortunately if it locks it's not legal for EDC in the UK. If it locks you need a 'good reason' to be carrying it.

Ah, and that may explain the unusual butt end of the knife where the backspring would usually be flush with the scales, but with this one it protrudes like some of the older back locks.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post

They don't, Ian. I think it's a slip joint.

The bee/fly presses against a flat on the blade.
    If it locks it's not a "véritable Laguiole"

Edit: OOK drew my attention to the FP website and indeed, this model is a lock knife. You have to choose one of the traditional ones

Sorry, should have checked the manufacturer's website myself.
    Last edited by Saint-Just; 20th May 2020 at 18:42.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    We've discussed these knives in the past here. Renaud Aubry and Actiforge were two makers that caught my attention, although I resisted the urge to buy. You've made me want one again, you devil.

Indeed. Thanks to Bob's advice I had this one made to my specification by Actiforge. Exceptionally good value at about £100. Being a little OCD, I found myself getting upset every time I sliced a tomato and tarnished the carbon steel blade. To remedy this, I had Renaud Aubry make me a stainless one. That's lovely too. I'll take a picture tomorrow.

Check out Stefan Schmalhaus on YouTube. He's recently put up a video about the Laguiole knife, and has reviews of some beautiful pieces.

Here's my Actiforge:

Last edited by Cornholio; 20th May 2020 at 23:42.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Aha! A devil on each shoulder now egging me on again! ;-)
    F.T.F.A.

The flaw with most Laguiole knives is that the edge usually hits the spring when closing. A little bit of material (like cotton wool) to stop it protects the edge.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Aha! A devil on each shoulder now egging me on again! ;-)
    So, the Actiforge I showed earlier was excellent value for money. I liked the fact that I could have my initials filed into the spring. However, the edge needed a little bit of fettling to get it up to standard along the full length.

The ebony knife below is from Artisan Coutelier. I think it was nearer £120, but is lovely in every way. As with Actiforge you can specify materials, etc.

But the one I'm using the most at the moment is the Thiers in the last picture. Not a Laguiole, but a lovely knife. It's a Compagnon by Chambriard. The 13c26 'acier rasoir' blade is superb.

Apologies for poor phone pics.

Artisan Coutelier by Renaud Aubry:

Compagnon, Le Thiers par Chambriard. Looks bigger than it actually is...

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Cornholio; 21st May 2020 at 17:43.

Master
    I'm now looking at GEC knives and also Case knives - are they well regarded? They seem to have a wide range. Not French I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornholio View Post

But the one I'm using the most at the moment is the Thiers in the last picture. Not a Laguiole, but a lovely knife. It's a Compagnon by Chambriard. The 13c26 'acier rasoir' blade is superb.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    I have one similar, same maker, and has been excellent for about 10 years. I opted for the Juniper scales and they smell lovely and peppery, with neat little knots visible. Good kit.

If I recall a very old thread or 2, our own Eddie has a penchant for the frenchies - had some nice corkscrew types and whatnot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm now looking at GEC knives and also Case knives - are they well regarded? They seem to have a wide range. Not French I know.
    I don’t own anything from either maker.

Both make American patterns, both are highly regarded. GEC are premium. Case, more of a mass product with a very good reputation. GECs are hoovered up quickly by collectors as safe queens. Many are traded on at a premium.

Traditional British pocket knives are Barlow, Wharncliff, Ettrick and Lambsfoot. Few makers left as far as I know.

France has a huge range of regional pocket knives.

Germany is another good source. I always associate the standard camper’s/scout’s pocket knife as originally a German design before the Swiss Army Knife. Nice stag handles. There’s also a German design with blade, saw and corkscrew that looks good. Think it’s called a Hunter’s. Have a look at Hubertus, Hartkopf, Boker and many more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GEC/Tidioute/Northfields yes, Case less so, but they are cheaper. Older Case knives can be very collectible and the newer ones are unfortunately reported to be a bit hit and miss in terms of consistency of quality.

They did some higher dollar collaborations with Tony Bose and they were in the hundreds at retail, with some patterns now having appreciated above retail due to scarcity and the high value they presented - superb fit and finish and some cracking patterns.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    GEC/Tidioute/Northfields yes, Case less so, but they are cheaper. Older Case knives can be very collectible and the newer ones are unfortunately reported to be a bit hit and miss in terms of consistency of quality.

They did some higher dollar collaborations with Tony Bose and they were in the hundreds at retail, with some patterns now having appreciated above retail due to scarcity and the high value they presented - superb fit and finish and some cracking patterns.
    Thank you for your reply. Are there any other outlets for GEC in the UK/Europe? There are some patterns I prefer over those at Mikesknives.

Are there other similar brands I should be looking at too?

Thank you for your reply. Are there any other outlets for GEC in the UK/Europe? There are some patterns I prefer over those at Mikesknives.

Are there other similar brands I should be looking at too?
    No other dealers that I'm aware of - it's best to email him and ask what models he has. His website is terrible and he freely admits it on his home page.

Master
    Blog Entries
    How does a Benchmade Proper compare to these knives? Micarta handles, not wooden, but suitable for everyday carry in the UK

Love French knives like these. Only French UK legal carry I’ve had is a Douk Douk.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I fancied one of these when we were over there, but couldn’t find a sub 3” one. I have a couple of the higher quality Case knives and I like them very much indeed.

Master
    If you want to go down this rabbit hole, then see this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0j4yEqQdENA

Such a great channel:

https://www.youtube.com/user/stschmalhaus/videos

Rob.