closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Ebay local collection arranging a courier

Master

Ebay local collection arranging a courier

I bought an item on ebay, local collection. The seller had agreed i could arrange my own courier, what the best way to insure this goes smoothly, I will probably be using parcelforce.

Cheers

I've done this a couple of times with Hermes but I guess all couriers are similar,
    You need the sellers full details including email and contact phone number, order the courier on line email the delivery label to the seller, they print it out - stick it on parcel and courier collects.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

I’ve also done this using the Hermes app. As number2 says, the seller just needs to wrap the parcel and stick the label on. He doesn’t actually need to even be there because the app allows the collector to pick it up from the porch/shed/garage etc.

Master
    Thanks
    I dont know the weight but they are speakers they wont be light, they aint huge so not too bad

Quote Originally Posted by Chabsy View Post
    Thanks
    I dont know the weight but they are speakers they wont be light, they aint huge so not too bad
    Get the seller to parcel up the speakers - then weigh the parcel, it's important that the seller tells you the weight, sorry if this is obvious but Hermes will charge extra if you underestimate .

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Get the seller to parcel up the speakers - then weigh the parcel, it's important that the seller tells you the weight, sorry if this is obvious but Hermes will charge extra if you underestimate .
    And add a processing charge on top!

I don’t know how keen they are but I sent a parcel today that was 2007g. I wasn’t taking a chance and sent it in the 2-5kg weight band.

Master
    A few years ago, I sold a desk on EBay collection only. The eventual buyer, based in Birmingham messaged to say could he organise a courier to collect and I said fine. I packaged and labelled the sections and they turned up when specified with a lorry and they delivered it to him later that day. I can't recall the company but I assume there is something similar that could be arranged if the speakers are that heavy?

Interesting the courier charges were the same as the price of the desk!

Master
    Don't use Hermes - especially at the moment, their service is poor at the best of times & now is woeful!
    Recently had 5 parcels awaiting Hermes collection for over a week beyond the collection date, with no way of knowing when they would eventually turn up.
    Cancelled & booked Parcelforce 48 online - collected next day & delivered within 48 hours.
    You can send pretty heavy stuff, more limited by the size of parcel.

Aren't you placing a big reliance on the seller to package the speakers adequately?

Where does the liability lie if they are not packaged sufficiently and they get damaged in transit? (if they will get damaged by being flung from one end of a van to the other, or by having a very heavy object placed on top of them, then they are not packaged sufficiently!)

Normally the obligation lies with the seller to get the item safely to the buyer, but if you have arranged the courier then the seller's obligations presumably end when he hands the speakers over to your courier. You do hear horror stories (and I have experienced them) of sellers placing a delicate object in a normal envelope with no padding and just sticking it in a post box, so I'd never be certain that any object will be properly wrapped.

Do not do this, it is fraught with issues.
    Either collect yourself or get the seller to deliver, if the seller has advertised collection only it is because he does not have the original boxes and cannot (or does not want to) pack them properly,

If they arrive damaged what do you do?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    Do not do this, it is fraught with issues.
    Either collect yourself or get the seller to deliver, if the seller has advertised collection only it is because he does not have the original boxes and cannot (or does not want to) pack them properly,

If they arrive damaged what do you do?
    A life lived in fear - is a life half lived.

Quote Originally Posted by ENES View Post
    Don't use Hermes - especially at the moment, their service is poor at the best of times & now is woeful!
    Recently had 5 parcels awaiting Hermes collection for over a week beyond the collection date, with no way of knowing when they would eventually turn up.
    Cancelled & booked Parcelforce 48 online - collected next day & delivered within 48 hours.
    You can send pretty heavy stuff, more limited by the size of parcel.
    I certainly haven’t found that to be correct.

I always used dpd previously but the drop off shops are all currently closed.

There are Hermes drop off shops open (I dropped three parcels off yesterday) and they also have a collect from home option that’s very little extra cost.
    I’ve used both options since lockdown and have had absolutely no issues with either collection or delivery.

I’ve used shiply for small and huge items.

You list the eBay number - couriers will
    Quote for the job and you choose the best prices with good feedback. You give them the sellers details and they’ll arrange contact with the seller .

I too am having tremendous problems with Hermes. I have always been happy with their drop-off service, but as I am shielding I invoked their collection service. The first parcel was collected 6 days late (by a poor harrassed chap at 9.30pm on Saturday!) and the second parcel wasn't collected after 5 days so I cancelled and booked with DX, a dearer service, who came when they said they would come and the parcel is now in transit. Just before DX called, a Hermes driver called to collect it, even though I had cancelled and received a refund!
    To be fair, Hermes are way cheaper. I will use them if/when I can drop off again.

I still don't trust Hermes. Too many negative stories about them and some of my own poor experience as well.

I've used DPD twice since the lockdown to send parcels where the courier has picked it up from my home. They've worked quite well although there has been delays due to the volumes they're dealing with.

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    A life lived in fear - is a life half lived.
    It is not a question of adventure although there is that aspect to it, but more about protecting your purchase
    The Op hasn't mentioned value
    Decent hifi speakers could be thousands of pounds and you would want to make sure that they arrive safely, and if they don't that they are insured.