closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Arise Sir Tom!!

Master

Arise Sir Tom!!

Colonel Tom is being Knighted by the Queen - what great and justified news. He’s raised £33 million.

I leapt up, yelled and clapped when I saw this on News at Ten tonight.

Master
    Blog Entries
    That's made my day!

Hmmm, well done.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Made my day! So pleased.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice good news story from start to finish!

Craftsman
    Controversially I don't think it is deserved and at any other time he wouldnt have raised anywhere near as much money or got the publicity etc. He's only raised £33m because the press and public got behind him. Don't get me wornt what's been achieved is fantastic but his fund raising efforts are no more extraordinary then hundreds and thousands of other people, he just has a nice story that people wanted to get behind.

I agree that ordinarily it isn’t deserving of a knighthood, but lots of others similarly weren’t deserving.

Sir Tom won’t be around for too much longer, and it’s not like giving him a Lordship to pass on.

But... it is something people can look back on and be properly proud that the nation got behind the efforts of one man to send a message of solidarity.

I’m sure a lot more than £33m has been raised by the various funds raising effort of those who have set aside their own time to do so, but they haven’t had the benefit of the media’s attention.

But still, it’s an amazing achievement to raise such a huge amount all the same.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Genta View Post
    Controversially I don't think it is deserved and at any other time he wouldnt have raised anywhere near as much money or got the publicity etc. He's only raised £33m because the press and public got behind him. Don't get me wornt what's been achieved is fantastic but his fund raising efforts are no more extraordinary then hundreds and thousands of other people, he just has a nice story that people wanted to get behind.
    I think it’s well deserved - it bought a smile to people’s faces, became a huge positive talking point which united people on social media (which let’s face it can be quite negative sometimes) and raised a lot of money for the people that deserve it right now. Then there’s Sir Tom himself - doing numerous interviews on various channels on a daily basis all to raise money. Must have been very tiring for a 100 year old and you could just tell by his manner that he was selfless.

I’d love him to turn it down, claiming he was a life long republican.

Well deserved. It is the culmination of a social media vortex; a fundraising tornado. Sir Tom is a mirror in which the more virtuous side of social media can look at itself and smile.

As an aside, has anyone ever seen Sir Tom and Count Arthur Strong in the same room?

Master
    Some of you lot could put a downer on a children’s birthday party. 👎👎

Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    I think it’s well deserved - it bought a smile to people’s faces, became a huge positive talking point which united people on social media (which let’s face it can be quite negative sometimes) and raised a lot of money for the people that deserve it right now. Then there’s Sir Tom himself - doing numerous interviews on various channels on a daily basis all to raise money. Must have been very tiring for a 100 year old and you could just tell by his manner that he was selfless.
    My thoughts exactly

He never set out to raise a load of cash, it just happened as his small gesture caught the attention (and mood) of the nation.

He's a likable, humourous, humble chap who, although a bit frail and deaf, has his marbles still and made a genuine effort, on his part, to do something for the good of others.

I agree, in most times, he'd have been unnoticed, but as he wasn't, I think it's wholeheartedly deserved.

I mean, what's one knighthood to someone who did something selflessly, compared to the dozens that are dished out annually to political donors...? That said, it's nothing compared to a Gold Blue Peter badge!

Sir Tom is a rare bit of good news amongst a lot of bad.

M
    Last edited by snowman; 20th May 2020 at 09:10.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    Cometh the hour.....

He has done his bit for The Crown And at his age even more. Well deserved since many civil servants, politicians get their awards for seemingly doing their job.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    Some of you lot could put a downer on a children’s birthday party. 
    This.

What a bitter outlook some people have.

If Sir Tom doesn't deserve it, who in your opinion would? David Beckham for services to kicking balls or something?

and sports men and women, good luck to a well deserved Tom and may the rest of his life be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by mrushton View Post
    Cometh the hour.....

He has done his bit for The Crown And at his age even more. Well deserved since many civil servants, politicians get their awards for seemingly doing their job.

I'm not bothered about him getting a knighthood - I'm more bothered it helps promote the idea that the NHS should be funded like a charity.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Well done Sir Tom.

Bry

P.S. Imo the 140,000 card senders should've each sent him £1 or £5 etc.

Master
    It must be amazing to be the person who suggested he raise funds in the first place as without them this wouldn't have happened (I'm assuming Sir Tom wasn't sufficiently internet savvy).
    I think the honours system should be primarily for voluntary efforts by the public, rather than celebrities or mandarins doing their job so to speak. So whilst I appreciate it's a knighthood for a relatively minor, short term effort I can't be anything but pleased for the guy.

Sent from my HD1903 using Tapatalk

Thomas Reid
    Gosh! The first person ever to get some benefit partly as a result of luck. These are interesting times, indeed.

Well done, Sir Tom.

Best wishes,
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    I'm not bothered about him getting a knighthood - I'm more bothered it helps promote the idea that the NHS should be funded like a charity.
    Exactly this. Mind, there are also slogans the other way round, like "protect the NHS - Save lives", when I always thought that was precisely the job of the NHS. Well, not anymore.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Strange times that we are living in

but, Sir Tom is an inspiration to many

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Genta View Post
    Yes, it's the public who have given the money. He was somewhat lucky that the press picked up on it and his(?) idea snowballed. Agree that many equally worthy efforts go virtually unnoticed.