closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: GMail Spam Email Question

Master

GMail Spam Email Question

Hi all.

I was recently part of the EasyJet data leak. I don’t know if this is related.

Over the last week I have had three odd emails, each in the following format;

Subject: [MyFirstName]!
    Email text; [MyFirstName] I am [TheirFirstName]. is it your e-mail?

The odd thing is that these are names of people I rarely contact but have had contact via WhatsApp only.

Unless it’s an extraordinary coincidence, there appears to be some link between these emails and my whatsapp account.

The real email address of the sender (despite coming up as [TheirFirstName]) is a random email address but from a country domain I visited for a holiday on an easyJet flight. I have no other links to that country.

How could it be? Do I need to do anything?

At a bare minimum, dont open them, just delete them block the sender domain and username, and I would at least temporarily cancel and delete anything you have to do with whatsapp (there are plenty of other messaging services to use) to break the chain. You can contact any whatsapp contacts you want to keep informed via normal text, email, or whatever telling them why, and if you still need whatsapp reinstall it in the not too distant future.
    It sounds like they are just phishing and hoping you bite, so imo you'll be okay with these few steps.
    Caveat I'm not an expert by a million miles.
    Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    Hi all.

I was recently part of the EasyJet data leak. I don’t know if this is related.

Over the last week I have had three odd emails, each in the following format;

Subject: [MyFirstName]!
    Email text; [MyFirstName] I am [TheirFirstName]. is it your e-mail?

The odd thing is that these are names of people I rarely contact but have had contact via WhatsApp only.

Unless it’s an extraordinary coincidence, there appears to be some link between these emails and my whatsapp account.

The real email address of the sender (despite coming up as [TheirFirstName]) is a random email address but from a country domain I visited for a holiday on an easyJet flight. I have no other links to that country.

How could it be? Do I need to do anything?
    just hit the report spam button and forget it.

Assuming you've already changed your passwords?

Master
    In gmail report spam
    Change your password for Easyjet.
    Check your email or your password hasn't been compromised: https://haveibeenpwned.com/
    Don't reuse your passwords.
    Use multi factor auth if you can.

That is a reasonable start.

Master
    Thanks folks.

I assume they don’t have my password (for gmail) or else I’d be seeing more than a random fishing email.

I am just perplexed by the clear link between whatsapp and these emails to my personal gmail account.

All three people named in the emails are from a single place of work that I used to work at and who I never speak to.