closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bird feeders and squirrels!!!!!!!!

Master

Bird feeders and squirrels!!!!!!!!

We've been getting a lovely range of birds these last few weeks at our feeder, but unfortunately we are also having to deal with a couple of rather determined squirrels, they seem to like destroying the feeders just for the fun of it.
    I think it's time to invest in some squirrel proof feeders, ( I did suggest an air rifle but that didn't go down too well!! ).
    Seen a few for sale that say they're squirrel proof but I'd rather buy a tried and tested version.
    Suggestions please.

Master
    Best of luck....

Tree rats are incredibly talented at getting into food. The cage style feeders are pretty good. Failing that, greasing the feeder poles - while not working long term - is very entertaining to watch :-)

Not found any that are truly squirrel proof yet, other than those that restrict all but the smallest of birds by having the feeder within a cage within a cage.

Best thus far has been a glass and steel/aly one for seeds, and then a steel/aly perforated one for larger things like nuts and fat balls and that has metal hardware, not plastic. Unfortunately I can't find links for the stuff I bought...useful.

Crucially, they need to be suspended on something that is firstly challenging for them to climb, and also far enough from anything else that they can't jump from something else onto any part of the assembly.

Then again, acrobatic squirrels are pretty great to watch when they jump from nearby trees and hang upside down from the feeders.

Master
    I actually don't mind them having some food, as you say it can be quite entertaining watching them, it's the pure destructive nature of them.
    Maybe the feeders with metal hardware might be worth a try, but i do like the greased pole method, lol.

This is our squirrel proof bird feeder. Seems to work.

The squirrels get well fed by other means, including coming up to the window demanding to be fed. They are quite funny except when sharpening their teeth on the lead flashing.

Fox has a good wander around our garden and two cubs playing on the roofs of sheds in the gardens backing on to ours.

Occasional frogs and mice (in the garden, not house)

Live in London so happy to see any wildlife.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used to feed the birds on my balcony, from my feeders hanging from the balcony above's ceiling. While this attracted lots of lovely birds it also attracted squirrels and wood pigeons, both of whom are stupid enough to then make their way in through the window and shit up my kitchen on a couple of occasions. That was too much for me.

Luckily I can still get my birding fix, as the neighbours have installed this pole design. I've never seen a squirrel leap up to the feeder's arms, even though they could easily make that distance.

Personally I'd like to see grey squirrels hunted to the point of extermination. They're a horrible invasive species, often carry squirrelpox virus and do our bird population no good whatsoever. Humane shooting is an excellent means, but perhaps not in a domestic situation... :)

get one of the spinning squirrel proof feeders , they also serve as a form of comedy entertainment .

I struggled with squirrels - finally one of these beat them completley.

I did hang it from a bit of wire and made it harder to jump to, but literally three thwarted attempts and it was left alone - it must have paid for itself in nuts in weeks.

https://bromebirdcare.com/squirrelbuster-peanut/

Also got one of these and have never even bothered with it

http://www.birdfeedersuk.co.uk/suet-...nt-suet-feeder

It takes about 10 fat balls

Master
    We have one squirrel that tries to feed, but what gets me is the number of magpies that try to get at the food -and are very raucous. Would love to be rid of them.

Bird feeders and squirrels!!!!!!!!

I have this one - the little contraption at the bottom is suspended by springs and lowers when a squirrel steps onto it to close off the feeding holes. Works perfectly. Feeding holes remain open for birds because they’re not heavy enough to activate it.

Master
    Blog Entries
    There a grey who seems very people savvy in my garden often. If I leave the patio door open it comes up the threshold, has a good look or listen to whatever I'm playing on Spotify, and will sit outside in the the sun while I work.

The magpies don't like it at all, and I'm not keep on them because they keep eying up my Koi Carp.

I think there's the makings of a bitchy reality TV nature show in there somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    Personally I'd like to see grey squirrels hunted to the point of extermination. They're a horrible invasive species, often carry squirrelpox virus and do our bird population no good whatsoever. Humane shooting is an excellent means, but perhaps not in a domestic situation... :)
    I'm the exact opposite - I really enjoy seeing squirrels in our garden. They are very intelligent, have great problem solving skills and are incredibly athletic.

Birds, on the other hand, are horrible, noisy messy creatures who crap all over the car. The only good birds I've ever encountered have been inside a Kentucky Fried box...

Master
    You basically have a couple of options, either squirrel proof your feeders or put out a squirrel feeder so they leave the bird feeders alone.

I used to work for this bunch, who have quite a few solutions:-

https://www.birdfood.co.uk/catalogse...lt/?q=squirrel

Good luck

Buy a large funnel and cut the 'spout' off... slide the cone over the pole and fix in place with gaffer tape, make sure the widest part is downwards... makes a good obstacle that's tricky for pests to overcome and it's great to watch them try!

Unhappy

I used to have trouble with Squizzers damaging my Bonsai trees, They killed several by tipping them out of the dishes whilst burying nuts from feeders, I worked twelve hour shifts (Days and nights), Several times I arrived home to find trees out of the dishes and with dried out roots as they were exposed all day through the summer heat..

I started shooting the damned things whilst the wife was at work (Avoided arguments!), After i'd dispatched four or five they seemed to get the message and stayed away but years later they came back, May have to start reducing them again at some point!

John

I’ve simply tied a simple bird feeder to the washing line . Putting a few clothes pegs between the feeder and the fence has done the trick and they tend to leave it alone now .
    Doesn’t stop them trying and they also seem to target the holly bushes . I find watching them fairly cathartic . They don’t cause too much trouble as there’s only a small family of them so far . They seem to coexist with the birds without too much trouble .
    I’d take the squirrels over the neighbourhood cats any day of the week .

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK View Post
    I'm the exact opposite - I really enjoy seeing squirrels in our garden. They are very intelligent, have great problem solving skills and are incredibly athletic.

Birds, on the other hand, are horrible, noisy messy creatures who crap all over the car. The only good birds I've ever encountered have been inside a Kentucky Fried box...
    Come on Phillip, don't ya know.........word on the street is it's now just called Kay Eff !!!

Master
    Hmmm, a lot of people seem to think they have squirrels in their garden. Just for clarity...

(Just kidding....mostly! i do far prefer our indigenous animals, not so much a fan of invasive species)

We have a lot of squirrels in the garden that keep the Jack Russell’s amused!!

We have this for bird feeders on the pole.

Gardman Squirrel Baffle Bird Feeding Station, Clear, 12.5 x 14.5 x 4 cm https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001E1DT..._g6vXEbFF2C6B1

And this for in one of the trees.

Squirrel Proof Bird Feeder - Squirrel Buster - Marauders off! Guaranteed Squirrel and Large Bird Proof / Metal https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00BXLF3..._86vXEbVAJGC8M

Both work really well at keeping them off.

The nuthatches and tits are messy and spread a fair bit on the floor when eating so the squirrels and pigeons still get their fair share but don’t dominate the feeders.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    We put 3 feeders up and a bird bath recently.
    Only the wood pigeons seem to be using the bath and hardly any little birds are using the feeders. Is it a case of a couple have got to "find" them then they'll come in greater numbers?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Dee View Post
    Only the wood pigeons seem to be using the bath and hardly any little birds are using the feeders. Is it a case of a couple have got to "find" them then they'll come in greater numbers?

Yes
    “ If you feed it, they will come “

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Dee View Post

They can take a while to find and regularly use new food sources. Also different species favour different foods throughout the year, so some foods get much less popular (depends on the species). Lastly, one bird in every two is likely to be incubating, so there’s almost half as many visiting feeders.

They’ll come, but it may take a few days.

Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post
    get one of the spinning squirrel proof feeders , they also serve as a form of comedy entertainment .

I don’t know why but that made me cry with laughter.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Weirdfish View Post
    Seen a few for sale that say they're squirrel proof but I'd rather buy a tried and tested version.
    Sadly the bushy tailed b@stards are too clever. Used to enjoy watching the birds on feeders but then THEY came!

I bought a "squirrel proof" one from somewhere and it took them/it less than 48 hours to defeat. I got my money back quite easily when I showed a photo (which I will post if I can find it).

I think you need feeders hanging from a thin metal pole that the little so and so's can't climb up

This was a feeder that you stuck onto the window. How could a squirrel possibly get at it? Jump up from the window sill, apparently!

Last edited by David_D; 21st May 2020 at 00:43.

Master
    Quite fun

Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    Sadly the bushy tailed b@stards are too clever. Used to enjoy watching the birds on feeders but then THEY came!

I bought a "squirrel proof" one from somewhere and it took them/it less than 48 hours to defeat. I got my money back quite easily when I showed a photo (which I will post if I can find it).

I think you need feeders hanging from a thin metal pole that the little so and so's can't climb up

This was a feeder that you stuck onto the window. How could a squirrel possibly get at it? Jump up from the window sill, apparently!

After a few have been neutralised with these, The rest learn to stay away for a few generations!!

John

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    After a few have been neutralised with these, The rest learn to stay away for a few generations!!

John
    Might have to try that although they’re so clever, they’ll probably turn up armed then!!

Master
    Thought I'd update seeing as I asked for advice, I've moved the feeder closer to the house to try and deter the little sh#t and also the sight of the dog staring out of the window might put him off, nope!!!
    They are really up for it, literally staring the dog out until I decided to do the manly thing and stomp out there making all kinds of weird noises, lol.
    Have ordered a couple of metal feeders, ( they absolutely wrecked the normal ones ), and will liberally grease the pole to try and make it a bit more entertaining for him/her.

Craftsman
    We find the feeders that have an outer cage a good distance out from the actual feeder, as others have mentioned, works well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    So I use a 4x4 post that I hang my feeders from I use planter hanging hooks on it. I then have a raccoon baffle and squirrel baffle on it and have it 15 feet from any tree or fence. The squirrel happily eats from the ground.

Raccoon baffle similar to what I have:
    https://www.duncraft.com/4-x-4-Racco...RoCRt8QAvD_BwE

Squirrel baffle similar to what I have;
    https://www.amazon.com/Woodlink-Moun.../dp/B000HHQ8WK

Wrought Iron Hangers similar to what I have:
    https://www.etsy.com/listing/6887716...lery-1-2&bes=1

those that dont mind watching 1 squirrel (im included here as they can be quite funny ) anymore than 1 and they will wreak everything quite fast.
    i would not make the mistake of trying to treat them like a friendly pet either (i made this mistake) - i used to throw food directly to one and it got to be a pain in the backside as they are very greedy - it got to the stage it would jump on an open windowledge and beg for food- when i didnt or was not there to feed it it decided that the UPVC windowframe was a viable nutritional alternative and started chewing the frame , the only way to stop it was to 'retire' it with an air rifle .

Surprised no-one of a certain vintage hasn't posted this yet:

It always annoys my wife, but I never cease to marvel at squirrels' adaptability and ingeniousness.

We have a bird feeder stuck to the outside of our lounge window, which is mostly squirrel proof, but one squirrel, a few years ago, could hang from the double glazing edging and reach down to pick out the nuts - It seems it was only the one, though, as I've never seen a squirrel do it before or since (that one did it for a prolonged period, rather than just once).

Quote Originally Posted by vulcangascompany View Post
    I don’t know why but that made me cry with laughter.
    I don't know if it was autosuggestion, but despite being ready it had me laughing out loud, too, thanks for sharing it!

M
    Last edited by snowman; 26th May 2020 at 21:34.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

I don't mind seeing the occasional squirrel. Maybe would feel differently if overrun by them!

As an aside, question about burying stuff! Last summer, relative in France gave us a 5kg sack of walnuts but lots had small maggots in. Mrs K hates creepies so left outside on patio and during week or so squirrel took them all. Now I find them scattered about the garden in large planters, flowerbeds etc. So why do they do this - do they hope to remember where they are, smell them out or just randomly find them later?

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    It always annoys my wife, but I never cease to marvel at squirrels' adaptability and ingeniousness.

We have a bird feeder stuck to the outside of our lounge window, which is mostly squirrel proof, but one squirrel a few years ago, could hang from the double glazing edging and reach down to pick out the nuts - It seems it was only the one, though, as I've never seen a squirrel do it before or since (that one did it for a prolonged period, rather than just once).

I don't know if it was autosuggestion, but despite being ready it had me laughing out loud, too, thanks for sharing it!

M
    the squirrel spinners are made by a company called droll yankees (they are pretty expensive as far as feeders go though they provide better comedy than most things on tv)

Blog Entries

John
    Weihrauch Hw97kt , nice !!!!

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I can also thoroughly recommend the “Squirrel-Buster” via Amazon, as previously posted.

This also has the additional advantage of being adjustable to the weight of bird that perches, and is able to eat the seed, thereby preventing larger birds, such as magpies, from dominating.

Blog Entries

This works. Had it for years and position feeder away from any jumping platforms - squirrels cannot get round the baffle.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    This works. Had it for years and position feeder away from any jumping platforms - squirrels cannot get round the baffle.

We had one of these but with a wire basket for for extra food and a glass bowl for water, The darned sparrows were throwing the seed all over which attracted rats, The wife said there was a rat sat in one of the plant pots down the edge of the garden, I had my Theoben Fenman ready loaded, It just needed cocking, I couldn't see ratty so I asked the wife which pot and she hammered on the conservatory door/window and scared it off!

I asked why she did that and she said, 'You were going to shoot it'!

I explained to her that a pellet in it's ear is instant and that poison could take days of agonising pain before it died!

I ended up getting a rat trap and smashing it's brains in!

never saw another after that!!

John

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post

Yep. We have the same setup. They don't even try now. Magpies were the next challenge. The feeders need to be in wide cages. Wood pigeons, squirrels and magpies still hang around the bottom for scraps, small birds only up top.

Thomas Reid
    I had the problem earlier this year. (Apologies for the bad picture.)

The bird feeder is the double cage type for small birds. It was originally on a hook, but the squirrel knocked it off the hook, then went to town on the feed. I started using a locking carabiner clip. The squirrel had a couple of goes, but gave it up for a bad job, and I've had no problem since. They learn.

Best wishes,
    Bob

PS The little birds are messy eaters, so quite a few seeds drop to the ground. The larger birds go for those.
    RLF

PPS It is now nice weather, and I've run out of seed, so the little beasts can fend for themselves until autumn! I'll still supply them with water, however.
    RLF
    Last edited by rfrazier; 28th May 2020 at 12:18.

Quote Originally Posted by bond View Post
    Weihrauch Hw97kt , nice !!!!

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

It was fitted with a V Mach kit before I bought it, It's smoother than a wench's inner thigh!!

John

Master
    Fitted the squirrel baffle and re-positioned the feeder away from any jumping platforms, I also greased the pole!!!!!!!!
    So funny watching a squirrel slide down the pole, seems to have worked so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Weirdfish View Post
    Fitted the squirrel baffle and re-positioned the feeder away from any jumping platforms, I also greased the pole!!!!!!!!
    So funny watching a squirrel slide down the pole, seems to have worked so far.
    We need a video of that please

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    We need a video of that please
    If I can catch him on film I will.

I tend to embrace the tenacity and ingenuity of the squirrels in the garden. They need food too. Watching them overcome obstacles to get to the feeders is like watching A Ninja in action sometimes!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by manganr View Post
    I tend to embrace the tenacity and ingenuity of the squirrels in the garden. They need food too. Watching them overcome obstacles to get to the feeders is like watching A Ninja in action sometimes!
    I agree, but the little shites were wrecking the feeders and spoiling it for the birds, they get enough food from all the nuts etc that the birds drop from the feeder, and the handful that I'll leave on the floor when I fill the feeders up.
    They are very intelligent though, they know when the dog is the other side of the window when they're sat on the wall staring him out, lol.

Craftsman

John
    Only solution

The squirrels on my garden are just tremendous fun

Sure they destroy the odd feeder - but watching them doing their “raids” is fascinating

The harder you make it, the more nimble they seem

The breakages are minimal, the birds get the dropped seed etc
    My cats are no contest - squirrels so much faster from 0-60

I’ll not shoot them - as they’re doing ni damage