closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Full Gold bling.

Full Gold bling.

I decided I wanted a real 'blingy', full metal, G Shock.

I wanted a positive display but the gold GMW-B5000TFG is too much money for the use I would give it, indeed a lot of these will just be stored unworn.

So I looked around and decided this watch would be a good base for the watch.

The watch fitted the requirements, gold back, buttons and screws. It is the DW-5025D 'Ocean Grey', 25th anniversary, model. I got the watch for a good price from Japan and it is quite an attractive thing with its clear grey resin. They are subject to yellowing like most jelly resin but this one looks pretty good for a 12 year old watch.

I think it would have looked better if the whole case had been gold instead of just the back, buttons and screws. This wouldn't matter though with a metal gold bezel. So I ordered a band a bezel set an fitted them with this result.

So I now have my 'blingy' gold watch at a fraction of the price of a TFG, I think it looks fine and of course I can always revert to its original 'Ocean Grey' colour for a change.

Any thoughts out there?

Mitch

Looks great to me, a very decent mod and much cheaper. Job well done!

Journeyman
    Looks good. Are the bezel and strap OEM or aftermarket?

Craftsman
    That looks spectacular from those photos. I wasn’t expecting that. Great conversion; really like that a lot!

Another thing I like about this watch is that the LCD is a mirror one. You can see your own reflection if you are looking at it in the right light. These are fairly unusual and the numerals can seem to 'float' on the surface at certain angles. In most light the mirror LCD's are more legible.

It is pretty hard to photograph the effect though, you can see the green foliage reflected in the LCD and a little bit of the 'floating' numerals in these photos.

The 'positive' numerals come out as negative when the EL is used.

Mitch

Mitch, have you got a link to where you purchased the case and strap?

Cheers
    Mark

Journeyman
    If is not a secret, how much did you pay for the DW-5025D?

Quote Originally Posted by Boarder1 View Post
    Mitch, have you got a link to where you purchased the case and strap?

Cheers
    Mark

I got it from the SGT store on ali express, it cost me $47.22 for the set delivered to the UK.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000....4000078242586

Mitch

Journeyman
    Sorry, I was referring to the watch.

It is the DW-5025D 'Ocean Grey', 25th anniversary, model. I got the watch for a good price from Japan and it is quite an attractive thing with its clear grey resin.

Quote Originally Posted by kumm2004 View Post
    Sorry, I was referring to the watch.

As I said I got it for a good price from Japan Auctions. If you look on eBay currently there are five DW-5025D for sale Worldwide. One from the USA and four from Japan.

Including shipping and customs, it would cost between £260 to £760 to get one of these watches to the UK.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...c&LH_PrefLoc=2

Collecting G Shocks is a hobby of mine but I learned many years ago that patience is key for a lower cost and more satisfying hobby. Wanting and needing are not the same thing! As well as this crazy satisfaction we get from collecting and owning things, I get a bit of an additional frisson from knowing I have got a good deal for a watch.

I decided a while ago that I would like to do the mod but waited until I could get one for a good price. Auctions in Japan can throw up bargains sometimes, just need a bit of patience and luck. There tends to be bigger numbers of G Shocks for sale there than on eBay as well.

Anyway, I got this watch for 10,000 yen but by the time I had paid all costs, taxes, shipping and customs etc, it cost me just short of a £110 to get it into my hand in the UK.
    I bought the band and bezel set for $47.22 and so the whole cost of the watch and mod, was less than £150, which I think is an excellent price. One which is way lower than any available on eBay for just the watch.

It gives me a bit of satisfaction that I could certainly recoup all my money if I wanted to sell and probably even make a bit of a profit on it.

Mitch

Journeyman
    Thanks for your answer. You did a great job with this G-shock, so don't stop. :-)

Thanks Mitch!

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    I got it from the SGT store on ali express, it cost me $47.22 for the set delivered to the UK.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000....4000078242586

Mitch