closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Cartier vintage tank

Apprentice

Cartier vintage tank

Hi, my first post and thanks for letting me join.

Hi, my mother was gifted a Cartier Tank in approximately 1975, it was already been pre owned. It is still running, and is a manual wind. I have no idea on it's age or history, or indeed whether it is of any value. A serial number is engraved, not stamped, and is clearly visible.It has been rattling round in her jewelry box for decades. Any idea on it's age?

Serial is 254762

You really need to post a photo (see how in the stickies at the top of the forum) or at least find an image from the web of the same model and link it here.

Yeah, hi John and welcome!
    We want pics!

BUBI 0_0

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by bubi View Post
    Yeah, hi John and welcome!
    We want pics!

BUBI 0_0
    Apologies, I couldn't resize. The watch was gifted to my mother in this rather battered state when she was nursing, from what I can see on web it is older than mid 60s.
    Last edited by John.m; 19th May 2020 at 09:57. Reason: Removing details

Apprentice
    Please feel free to resize and place in post if that makes it easier.

Quote Originally Posted by John.m View Post
    Please feel free to resize and place in post if that makes it easier.
    John, have a look at the PM I just sent you.

Apprentice
    Thanks very much to both of you for your help.👍

Thanks very much to both of you for your help.👍
    Youre very welcome. I dont know anything about the watch but its a nice looking thing.

I think you need to get it checked by Cartier. It doesn’t have the secret signature, which if correct, would put it pre-1970s.

The bit I am struggling with is the quality of the dial (Although it might have been refinished), hence the iffy Cartier font, the hand set and the case back (which seems to be lacking some normal marking like a model number).

Plus I assume the Sapphire cabochon which the winder is just gone awol at some point.

Certainly worth getting checked out.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Apprentice
    Yeah the jewel in the crown, is missing, so to speak. I have been asked to pop it into my nearest Goldsmith centre when they reopen.

I'm afraid I share Andy's guarded scepticism.

I have a copy of Franco Cologni's definitive book on 'La Montre Tank' and I cannot find a single image of a watch that looks like your mother's. There is a 1928 Tank LC with the word 'Paris' below the VI, but it has Breguet (pomme) hands and a prominent cabuchon. There is a 1956 Tank LC 9''' in gold with a similar dial and hands and flat cabuchon to yours, but no 'Paris', and although there is no image of the back I'm sure it would be hallmarked.

Generally Tank models are marked Swiss below the VI and any reference to Cartier's operations in London, Paris and New York are displayed on the dial above the VI.

Also the word Cartier on the back is in the wrong typeface, it should be in a 'thick and thin' cursive.

Before the world went Submariner crazy, the Cartier Tank was the world's most faked watch, In 1976 Cartier sued 15 Los Angeles shops for selling fake Tanks complete with counterfeit guarantee papers. Faking is not a new phenomenon.

The only way you'll know for sure is to take it to a Cartier boutique or an authorised dealer. But I'm not particularly optimistic for the outcome.

Apprentice
    Thank very much for the input Simon, not something I was looking to hear but as the saying goes, ignorance is bliss, and I am totally ignorant. Thanks for sharing your knowledge, much appreciated. 👍

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    I think you need to get it checked by Cartier. It doesnt have the secret signature, which if correct, would put it pre-1970s.

The bit I am struggling with is the quality of the dial (Although it might have been refinished), hence the iffy Cartier font, the hand set and the case back (which seems to be lacking some normal marking like a model number).

Plus I assume the Sapphire cabochon which the winder is just gone awol at some point.

Certainly worth getting checked out.
    I managed to get it open today, it's definitely not genuine, got a tiny 17 jewel movement and 925 markings on the case. Cheers for advice folks
    👍👍

I managed to get it open today, it's definitely not genuine, got a tiny 17 jewel movement and 925 markings on the case. Cheers for advice folks
    👍👍
    At least you now know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmmm, its still worth getting it check. The 925 is the mark used for sterling silver, which was quite common on Cartier Watches. A lot of the Must De Cartier Tank watches were silver/Gold plated. As for the movement, remember that Cartier are jewellers not watch makers, hence they sourced movements from all over.

You never know

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche