closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 24 of 47 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast
Results 1,151 to 1,200 of 2344

Thread: Corona property prices

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    How?
    By pouring hardcore and the like into the sea until you create enough new land to build on.

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    Dubai and China are both making land.

Don’t forget Monaco..

Master
    Dig a big hole and find somewhere to put the soil
    https://www.samphirehoe.com/

Master
    That must be a very expensive way of buying land but good luck to them.

How?
    Reclamation from the sea - Google 'The palm, Dubai'.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by cnjm1 View Post
    Out of interest, what area is this? I’m sure they are worried, it’s been pretty easy to sell houses for the last 2 years if they could get hold of the stock.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    North Somerset area is where I know several estate agents, lots of areas/town’s within this catchment have increased massively over the last ten years, I would put the prices in between London and say Birmingham..

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Reclamation from the sea - Google 'The palm, Dubai'.
    Where does all their sewage go? And whaddabout rising sea levels.

Wild horses couldn´t etc. But each to their own

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Where does all their sewage go? And whaddabout rising sea levels.

Wild horses couldn´t etc. But each to their own
    Is a lot of The Netherlands not reclaimed land.

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    Is a lot of The Netherlands not reclaimed land.
    I believe so, think they´ve been at it for hundreds of years.

Was the Palm reclaimed land.
    Last edited by Passenger; 12th October 2022 at 20:12.

SydR
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    By pouring hardcore and the like into the sea until you create enough new land to build on.
    Where I live, in Scotland, was the sea less than 90 years ago.

Was the Palm reclaimed land.
    The Palm was built by dumper trucks dumping endless quantities of whatever, hardcore, broken rock into the sea as I recall. Don’t think that’s reclaimed land though.

The Palm was built by dumper trucks dumping endless quantities of whatever, hardcore, broken rock into the sea as I recall. Don’t think that’s reclaimed land though.
    It was recreated - amazing piece of engineering for those who are interested - similar to the engineering employed to create the worlds tallest building on sand.

Too easy to be dismissive.
    Last edited by Chris_in_the_UK; 12th October 2022 at 21:20.

Quote Originally Posted by Halitosis View Post
    As I posted yesterday, 3 houses in our street have gone on the market in September and all have sold. Same story across our town, so it appears any slowdown hasn't yet reached detached family homes in Scotland
    Just sold my late Nana’s property in Rosyth, 14 days on the market, £120k home report, 8 offers received today.

Too easy to be dismissive.
    I wasn’t being dismissive Chris, I was simply describing how the land was created, I added no personal opinion beyond that. There are videos that show its construction from absolutely nothing through to its final formation. I was just highlighting that it’s construction was slightly different to what people may regard as land reclamation. This land was under the sea and would have stayed there but for the above.

I wasn’t being dismissive Chris, I was simply describing how the land was created, I added no personal opinion beyond that. There are videos that show its construction from absolutely nothing through to its final formation. I was just highlighting that it’s construction was slightly different to what people may regard as land reclamation. This land was under the sea and would have stayed there but for the above.
    Not specific to your comments Ken, apologies.

It was an impressive project (money and investment clearly driven).

Not specific to your comments Ken, apologies.

It was an impressive project (money and investment clearly driven).
    Cheers Chris, clearly a construction aimed at the very rich.

UK’s 13-year housing market boom to end in 2023, surveyors predict

https://www.theguardian.com/business...veyors-predict

UK’s 13-year housing market boom to end in 2023, surveyors predict

https://www.theguardian.com/business...veyors-predict
    I imagine responsible estate agents will have put something away for a few rainy days, 13 years is one helluva purple patch.

The article does state the number of houses being listed for sale is down and there will always be more people looking than houses available.

Looks like bad timing for me, first time I’ve entered the housing market for 25 years and Liz Truss buggers things up. I’m guessing mine won’t go to a first time buyer unless they earn a decent wage not beginning with a one. More likely someone wanting to move to something bigger, but that implies a chain on their part.

Prices are being reduced around 10% where I am based.

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Well, a huge amount of house price froth.

Around me in the outskirts of Greater London, new build 1 bedders are going for £450k and then rent for around £1600 pcm.

An FTB with a 10% deposit would land themselves with a £2642 pcm mortgage @ current 6%. For a pokey flat in suburbia and 12 miles from the centre of London.

A landlord with a 75% interest only mortgage would pay £1688 pcm, exceeding the rent that could be achieved. At 2% rates (achievable only 8 months ago) the mortgage payment was £563, so you can see why BTL was so attractive, but not any more.

Also, that is without £23.5k stamp duty, letting fees, maintenance and voids etc. Plus the landlord has had to stump up a deposit of £112.5k which is providing no return on capital, and at risk of being lost if the flat price takes a 25% tumble.

I think it is good to illustrate the numbers, because at 6% mortgage rates it just tells you how insane the market really is, and why it is going to take a massive tumble, especially in London and the SE.

Repayment mortgages up by 50+% and interest only repayments up by 200% in 8 months, means this can’t end pretty.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    A mate of mine (mortgage broker) was round last night and said the landlord in this example would need a rent of circa £2650 pcm to pass current ICR / stress testing with most lenders.

So effectively wouldn't get the loan required/stated and need to put more money in (a lot more money).

Master
    I dare say people will upgrade and extend etc rather than move in a lot of cases. Estate agents suffer, builders do well, there are always winners and losers.

Blog Entries
    I dare say people will upgrade and extend etc rather than move in a lot of cases. Estate agents suffer, builders do well, there are always winners and losers.
    With the price or raw materials? And the cost of borrowing to fund it?

Unless you have the cash ready to go, I think people will be thinking twice about big works

I could be wrong!

Craftsman
    Dubai and China are both making land.

ok ok. There is an exception to every rule.

😃

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    With the price or raw materials? And the cost of borrowing to fund it?

Unless you have the cash ready to go, I think people will be thinking twice about big works

I could be wrong!
    This^^^.
    During the pandemic my housing estate was literally riddled with extensions and the like being built. It's a relatively cheap area, mainly semi deta bungalows that were well below 200k pre covid, around that price now.
    The bungalows can be extended forwards (sometimes difficulties in planning permission for this), sideways, rearward, and upwards so are good 'blank canvasses' for this type of work, especially being affordable to begin with.
    During the pandemic with people on furlough and nothing to spend money on, it seemed every third or fourth property had a skip and builders van outside. Now virtually nothing, so granted many who would have had extensions built already have done so, I think many who would still like too are now holding back worried about mortgage rates, fuel bills, employment security etc. Tough times ahead methinks.

Master
    Extending your house now it’s genuinely crazy in terms of cost.

Material and Labour had been through the roof for a couple of years.

You’re talking 50k up north for a basic 4m kitchen extension.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are looking to move into the Wife’s mothers house following her passing when we have finished the works, complete new bathroom and kitchen, some structural work in the kitchen, a few walls being removed etc.

Finding builders is a nightmare, they are all fully booked up. Luckily we are using some guys who did work in our current house and they are happy to fit us in. Talking to builders generally they couldn’t have done any work for us until next spring at the earliest. They report no end of people with money wanting improvements to their existing property and they cherry pick the bigger and most expensive jobs.

In addition, the houses that have sold in our road in the last 12 to 18 months all seem to turn into major jobs, skips outside, bathrooms and kitchens being ripped out. Can’t remember the last time someone bought a house and just moved in as is.

Covid and the shutdown seem to get the blame, people stockpiling cash during that period and happy to spend it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Drago View Post
    Extending your house now it’s genuinely crazy in terms of cost.

Material and Labour had been through the roof for a couple of years.

You’re talking 50k up north for a basic 4m kitchen extension.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Blimey I'm in the process having a new kitchen and new bathroom fitted...they're moving the kitchen door and in the case of the bathroom breaking thru and creating a new door out to the swimming pool terrace, easier access to the loo for the kids and oldies!...total cost, including what I've budgeted for the almost inevitable small over run, 20K GBP should see us right, ...that includes all new white goods and a Yank style double door fridge, marble work surface, new boiler, new rad and all the new bathroom bits n pieces, thermostatic shower, glass sliding doors for bath/ shower...

You do get well rinsed on this stuff in GB.

I've just exchanged so can we all stop being negative please ;-)

Blog Entries
    Blimey I'm in the process having a new kitchen and new bathroom fitted...they're moving the kitchen door and in the case of the bathroom breaking thru and creating a new door out to the swimming pool terrace, easier access to the loo for the kids and oldies!...total cost, including what I've budgeted for the almost inevitable small over run, 20K GBP should see us right, ...that includes all new white goods and a Yank style double door fridge, marble work surface, new boiler, new rad and all the new bathroom bits n pieces, thermostatic shower, glass sliding doors for bath/ shower...

You do get well rinsed on this stuff in GB.
    You’re not having building work other than the two doors then?

A new bathroom - you can get done for ~£3-4k as the cost is labour…. Bathroom materials are still relatively cheap

My kitchen fit out was <£3k for the cabinets, same again for cookers/ fridges/ dishwasher/ sink / tap etc., £2k for the worktops and £600 to fit it (a chippy and his trainee for 2 days)

What you’re paying sounds about right…

You’d be doing well to get 4x8m kitchen done (shell and core) for ~£50k and I should know (typing whilst sat in my new kitchen extension!)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    Heh…. I’ve had palpitations reading this thread too…. But, we all need somewhere to live!

Am I happy about parting with more money to pay my mortgage which has just come up for renewal? No

Am I happy that I probably brought at the start of an upturn and would expect things to go backwards? No

Am I delighted that I paid through the nose for building materials when I had our loft converted and kitchen extended? No

Do I regret moving? Hell no! We love our newly renovated home and we are really really happy here!

I think you’re renting yours out? I’m sure you’ll do fine, we have one BTL in the long term it’s been a great investment…. See it as a long term thing and be a nice landlord (has always seen me right !)

You’re not having building work other than the two doors then?

A new bathroom - you can get done for ~£3-4k as the cost is labour…. Bathroom materials are still relatively cheap

My kitchen fit out was <£3k for the cabinets, same again for cookers/ fridges/ dishwasher/ sink / tap etc., £2k for the worktops and £600 to fit it (a chippy and his trainee for 2 days)

What you’re paying sounds about right…

You’d be doing well to get 4x8m kitchen done (shell and core) for ~£50k and I should know (typing whilst sat in my new kitchen extension!)
    Nice to know we're not getting bent over.

The builder is also doing the wall tiling for both rooms, position of the loo is being moved builder/ plumber.

Maybe I chose a poor example...I'll try another, 70 sq m in ground tiled swimming pool, approx 350 sq m's of paved terracing and a 60 sq m porch, building open on 2 sides with pillars supporting the roof on the side facing the pool really can't think of a better name though porch doesn't do it justice imho, with 6 metre roof height at high point...I think maybe it's 7m... including lights, power sockets and ceiling fans, pool filter with housing for it, outdoor shower, sink and couple of kitchen units fitted in the porch, came to about 50K gbp,...We were very pleased, felt it was excellent value for money...which is what counts.

Going back in time about 18 years, 35k renovated approx 70 sqm our first Spanish property...which at purchase was literally a dirt floor, 4 unfinished walls and a roof, no power, no water, rotted out windows, turned that ruin into a cosy little 2 bed home, new kitchen, new bathroom, with cracking roof terrace/ views, and a 10,000 litre water deposit.

Still it's apples and pears really, for us there's been no downside to keeping boots on the ground, despite the B word, only considerable upside, sunlit uplands ...but different folk want different things, and the UK's blasting off for a high wage/ high skills economy, global wotnots etc, interesting times ahead... I doubt too many Spaniards would claim the same.
    I hope you enjoy your home Beechcustom.
    Last edited by Passenger; 13th October 2022 at 14:46.

Blog Entries
    Nice to know we're not getting bent over.

The builder is also doing the wall tiling for both rooms, position of the loo is being moved builder/ plumber.

Maybe I chose a poor example...I'll try another, 70 sq m in ground tiled swimming pool, approx 350 sq m's of paved terracing and a 60 sq m porch, building open on 2 sides with pillars supporting the roof on the side facing the pool really can't think of a better name though porch doesn't do it justice imho, with 6 metre roof height at high point...I think maybe it's 7m... including lights, power sockets and ceiling fans, pool filter with housing for it, outdoor shower, sink and couple of kitchen units fitted in the porch, came to about 50K gbp,...We were very pleased, felt it was excellent value for money...which is what counts.

Going back in time about 18 years, 35k renovated approx 70 sqm our first Spanish property...which at purchase was literally a dirt floor, 4 unfinished walls and a roof, no power, no water, rotted out windows, turned that ruin into a cosy little 2 bed home, new kitchen, new bathroom, with cracking roof terrace/ views, and a 10,000 litre water deposit.

Still it's apples and pears really, for us there's been no downside to keeping boots on the ground, despite the B word, only considerable upside, sunlit uplands ...but different folk want different things, and the UK's blasting off for a high wage/ high skills economy, global wotnots etc, interesting times ahead... I doubt too many Spaniards would claim the same.
    I hope you enjoy your home Beechcustom.
    Sorry - I can’t relate to any of that…. My pool is ~1200m2. 😆

Sounds like you get nice value for money in Spain…

I’m really really careful with how I spent a lot of money our house…. I got a 36m2 kitchen and a 38m2 bedroom with en suite/ walk in wardrobe (loft conversion) plus 60m2 of patio, a pantry, a study, a full commercial fire alarm system, plastered throughout, outside painted and a new central heating system for £112k including all materials + building control and I did not skimp! I just brought shrewdly! I think I have a knack for sourcing and negotiation!

My general approach is invest in the core that will last…. Flooring etc and view kitchen cabinets as temporary!

A little pic.

Master
    Sorry - I can’t relate to any of that…. My pool is ~1200m2. 

Sounds like you get nice value for money in Spain…

I’m really really careful with how I spent a lot of money our house…. I got a 36m2 kitchen and a 38m2 bedroom with en suite/ walk in wardrobe (loft conversion) plus 60m2 of patio, a pantry, a study, a full commercial fire alarm system, plastered throughout, outside painted and a new central heating system for £112k including all materials + building control and I did not skimp! I just brought shrewdly! I think I have a knack for sourcing and negotiation!

My general approach is invest in the core that will last…. Flooring etc and view kitchen cabinets as temporary!

A little pic.

That looks really nice

Quote Originally Posted by thegreatdogwood View Post
    That looks really nice
    Yep, lovely space that.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thegreatdogwood View Post
    That looks really nice
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Yep, lovely space that.
    Thank you…. I quite enjoyed it (well most of it)…. and have an interest in, but possibly not a flair for, design…. Layering textures and keeping things natural…. Although not as practical I prefer wood to cold quartz type finishes and the natural limestone was the right thing to do and will last as long as the house, the brick wall was covered in masonry paint and needed sandblasting, the brickie angle grinded out the mortar and set the mortar back with a chariot wheel to make it ping…. The photo angle makes it look bigger than it is and it looks a bit more lived in now after 9 months, but we are really pleased with it…

And thanks for everyone that recommended DIY kitchens…. The quality is impeccable!

Congrats that looks good.

Master
    Blog Entries

And thanks for everyone that recommended DIY kitchens…. The quality is impeccable!
    May have been me amongst others ... ours is now 5 years in and still looks and works like new ... you extension look great.

I am 100% not showing that to my wife...

We went on the market in May with a view to downsizing (my idea) as we're 'empty nesters' now.
    Sold pretty quick, reserved a new build and then it all went south after two months when our buyer lost their buyer.
    Then had a load of carpet treaders, 'our' new build sold to someone else so we've just taken it off the market with a view to a few 'minor' improvements and see what's happening next year.
    If she see's that I'm fooked! It would really suit the back of our house but she's not grasped the concept of downsizing...

PS It looks great BTW.

Corona property prices

Sorry - I can’t relate to any of that…. My pool is ~1200m2. 😆
    Unless your pool is larger than an Olympic size pool, I think you may be confusing square metres with cubic metres.

A 1200 square metre pool, 50m long would be 24m wide.

Edit : actually, I think you must mean square feet because at 3m deep, you’re still looking at a 40m x 10m pool to get 1200 cubic metres.
    Last edited by Dave+63; 13th October 2022 at 19:35.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Unless your pool is larger than an Olympic size pool, I think you may be confusing square metres with cubic metres.

A 1200 square metre pool, 50m long would be 24m wide.

Edit : actually, I think you must mean square feet because at 3m deep, you’re still looking at a 40m x 10m pool to get 1200 cubic metres.
    What can tell you? I like a big pool…!

Swimming up and down in the Leicester suburbs in my triple Olympic pool is just how I roll!

Ps…. You may have missed my lol/ sarcasm emoji!
    Last edited by Wolfie; 13th October 2022 at 20:20.

Heh…. I’ve had palpitations reading this thread too…. But, we all need somewhere to live!

Am I happy about parting with more money to pay my mortgage which has just come up for renewal? No

Am I happy that I probably brought at the start of an upturn and would expect things to go backwards? No

Am I delighted that I paid through the nose for building materials when I had our loft converted and kitchen extended? No

Do I regret moving? Hell no! We love our newly renovated home and we are really really happy here!

I think you’re renting yours out? I’m sure you’ll do fine, we have one BTL in the long term it’s been a great investment…. See it as a long term thing and be a nice landlord (has always seen me right !)
    I hear you. I'm renting my place out and using some equity release from it to put towards my 'realistic' dream house (it doesn't have its own private island and helipad). I'm so excited and it ticks all the boxes for me. Should be in on Sunday!

A little pic.

Absolutely love that. It's exactly what I would do with that space.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    May have been me amongst others ... ours is now 5 years in and still looks and works like new ... you extension look great.
    I’ve been a one man sales machine for them since…. The quality is great…. We didn’t need a ridiculous amount of units as we have a nice sized pantry

All that was less than £3k, knowing what you can spend on a kitchen, I thought it was amazing value

Congrats that looks good.
    Thank you!

I hear you. I'm renting my place out and using some equity release from it to put towards my 'realistic' dream house (it doesn't have its own private island and helipad). I'm so excited and it ticks all the boxes for me. Should be in on Sunday!
    Heh…. Good luck…. And enjoy it!

Absolutely love that. It's exactly what I would do with that space.
    Thank you…. I had 20,000 designs before I plumped for it…. Wouldn’t change it all

Craftsman
    Congrats to you and hope the move goes as well as im sure you are hoping.

What can tell you? I like a big pool…!

Swimming up and down in the Leicester suburbs in my triple Olympic pool is just how I roll!

Ps…. You may have missed my lol/ sarcasm emoji!
    I did; emojis don’t show up in tapatalk!

Quote Originally Posted by 2ptjoe View Post
    Congrats to you and hope the move goes as well as im sure you are hoping.
    Thanks. Just sorted out gas/elec, council tax. Just waiting for the ea to let me know when the keys will be available!

So, as you would expect, second homes are first to take a tumble in this tough housing market. Here's an example of some prime second home/investment stuff on the Poole coast overlooking Brownsea Island and Sandbanks. Surely, the desirability will keep prices from falling?

Flat 7 owners got lucky and got out at the very top for £335k in March 2022. It was originally sold as a new build in 2005 for £205k.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/house-prices/bh15-1gz.html

Flat 9 went on the market in Sept 2001 for £345k. It was originally sold as a new build in 2005 for £215k, so originally more expensive than flat 7. Flat 9 owners were not so lucky and in the Zoopla listing history have cut the price from £345k to £240k over several months, and it is not even sold yet. That's only £25k more than the 2005 price.

https://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/de...1ff32b0e797824

That's a fall of over 30% in several months, and the sale price of flat 7 confirms that. The new flat 7 owners must be gutted.

Think I will wait a few months and pick up a bit of nice coastal property for half price.

These types of properties are the first dominos to fall, and this is evidence that 30% drops already being seen in some sectors.

Flats within the same block can go for different amounts. Theyre not directly comparable as they often have different attributes. Size, lay out. what floor they're on.

Those flats are clearly not uniform because in Dec 2021 because Flat 5 sold for £170k. If you compare the asking flat 9 against 5 its nearly 30% more.

Flat 9 sold for £240k in in 2017, then Flat 3 sold for £195k in in 2018 and Flat 5 for £170k in Dec 2021 .

They're are clear variances in the flat.

Looking at Flat 7 its a much nicer flat than flat 9 , Its decorated to a much higher standard and has a square more useable floor plan. Flat 9 hasn't even sold yet , its offers over £240k.

Corona property prices

Quote Originally Posted by eagletower View Post
    Flats within the same block can go for different amounts. Theyre not directly comparable as they often have different attributes. Size, lay out. what floor they're on.

Those flats are clearly not uniform because in Dec 2021 because Flat 5 sold for £170k. If you compare the asking flat 9 against 5 its nearly 30% more.

Flat 9 sold for £240k in in 2017, then Flat 3 sold for £195k in in 2018 and Flat 5 for £170k in Dec 2021 .

They're are clear variances in the flat.

Looking at Flat 7 its a much nicer flat than flat 9 , Its decorated to a much higher standard and has a square more useable floor plan. Flat 9 hasn't even sold yet , its offers over £240k.
    Go to the Rightmove listing, it confirms it is flat 9 as the original new build 2005 sale price is £215k.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properti...hannel=RES_BUY

It now had 5 price reductions according to the above Zoopla listing history, and is being offered at £240k.

As for the other flats, they are cheaper because the are smaller or have less bathrooms. So, cut the smoke and mirrors stuff by bring in analysis with the other flats.

Flat 7 and 9 are directly comparable and sold at similar prices when they where new builds. In fact flat 9 was more expensive to start with, so obviously has the edge on space/layout. If not, it wouldn’t be more expensive as a new build.

Notwithstanding any small decorative differences, flat 9 is on for sale at 30% less than flat 7 sold for seven months ago. Somebody has lost a lot of money on paper

It makes me laugh when the price is cut so many times and the agent still ask for offer over.

Are you a BTLer trying to talk up the market, or struggling to come to turns with a falling market?

I have presented the analysis, and those reading the thread can make up their own mind.