closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OK it's new BBQ time

You guys seem to be cooking very hot?

I smoke ribs at ~120C. Above 150 and surely you're roasting, not smoking?

I've got some huge beef flat rib to smoke this week. Midweek, lockdown smoking has been a treat.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by guinea View Post
    You guys seem to be cooking very hot?

I smoke ribs at ~120C. Above 150 and surely you're roasting, not smoking?

I've got some huge beef flat rib to smoke this week. Midweek, lockdown smoking has been a treat.
    I talk bbq in F, back when I started smoking there was only really a US following & all recipes were that way, simpler to just follow than convert all the time. All my thermometer are set to F now too.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    I talk bbq in F, back when I started smoking there was only really a US following & all recipes were that way, simpler to just follow than convert all the time. All my thermometer are set to F now too.
    Yep, same... Fahrenheit.

Although, if I’m chatting with my wife regarding cooking something in the oven (the actual oven in our actual kitchen), I use Celsius.

Surprised I don’t confuse myself more to be honest.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mab View Post
    Yep, same... Fahrenheit.

Although, if I’m chatting with my wife regarding cooking something in the oven (the actual oven in our actual kitchen), I use Celsius.

Surprised I don’t confuse myself more to be honest.
    Actually yes, indoor oven and sous Vide are the only time I revert to C for cooking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Found a couple of options that I'm considering

One is a combi griddle and hot-plate:
    https://www.nisbets.co.uk/buffalo-6-...-griddle/cp240

The other is a large hot-plate: https://www.australian-bbq.co.uk/bee...burner-gas-bbq or

https://www.nisbets.co.uk/buffalo-6-...52808725806_c_

Not much info on either to be honest. Any thoughts or experience?

Cheers

Master
    Personally they are a little commercial looking with the Nisbets ones, given that is what they are. Aesthetically they don’t do anything for me.

Although I’m also not a fan of flat Aussie style bbqs after having had one. Much better flavours with lid down cooking & easier to burn the grates clean after cooking too

Quote Originally Posted by Cynar View Post
    If I were you I’d get a stainless steel one. I got one from Costco about 5 years ago and it’s still like new.
    Previous ones, including an enamelled one similar to that Homebase, rusted to bits within a couple of years.
    I bought a stainless tabletop one from Costco several years ago, and found the heat output was abysmal. Checked on line and found that low heat was a universal complaint, also that they had tendency for going up in flames !!!! (Thought that was a pre-requisite for BBQs). Think it was called “NexGrill” or something like that.

It went in the skip.

Master
    So here’s a steak question for the experienced gas bbq people on here:

How do you get a sealed dark outside and a red/pink inside on the gas bbq?

I’m heating to 260 then 4 min per side, resulting in nice even colour and tender meat throughout (1” thick ribeyes, 21 days or so), plus a few minutes to rest

Thanks

Ian

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ism123 View Post
    So here’s a steak question for the experienced gas bbq people on here:

How do you get a sealed dark outside and a red/pink inside on the gas bbq?

I’m heating to 260 then 4 min per side, resulting in nice even colour and tender meat throughout (1” thick ribeyes, 21 days or so), plus a few minutes to rest

Thanks

Ian
    To get a decent sear, run hot m and close the lid as it cooks. 1 inch thick rib eyes will take 4-5 minutes. I place diagonally and turn them onto hot unused grill sections (with retained heat) to create a crosshatch sear (this is on stainless steel rather than cast iron).

Master
    Thanks, I'm doing the above. I am getting grill marks but really what I'm after is almost a crust. A pal has suggested a mayo baste beforehand to help blacken the steak, plus go to 1.25 inch thick as well. Mouth's watering as I type :)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ism123 View Post
    Thanks, I'm doing the above. I am getting grill marks but really what I'm after is almost a crust. A pal has suggested a mayo baste beforehand to help blacken the steak, plus go to 1.25 inch thick as well. Mouth's watering as I type :)
    There is a good article I read previously that interestingly comments that the best malliard reaction comes from small bars and high heat (cant find it though, will post up if I do). I do this on my charcoal that has thinner bars.

For Gas burner with thicker bars you need to reposition on hot bars for each turn.

Good article here:

https://www.thespruceeats.com/how-to...-steaks-336363

Craftsman

OK it's new BBQ time

We bought one of these in the sale for about £275 i think and can’t fault it, we have used it throughout May after my much more expensive one caught fire and melted in front of me

https://www.manomano.co.uk/p/cosmogr...-42-cm-9538438

Edit, ours actually has 4 burners under the grill and 2 under a hot plate but other than that it’s the same

Quote Originally Posted by Alex L View Post
    Similar to mine which I bought about a month ago. Great bit of kit but need to learn how to use it properly. Came with a free pizza stone and griddle.

Untitled by Alex L, on Flickr

Cooked pizzas twice so far and much easier to get it up to temperature if I don’t take it out of my barn

Untitled by Alex L, on Flickr
    You can lift out the central circular grill and the pizza stone fits in its place complete with holder. It’s part of the Weber cooking system or something.

Quote Originally Posted by smalleyboy1 View Post
    You can lift out the central circular grill and the pizza stone fits in its place complete with holder. It’s part of the Weber cooking system or something.
    Thanks, I worked that out after I'd already ramped it up to 500 degrees and then didn't fancy trying to remove the circular grill with oven gloves.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by J3w3ll3r View Post
    We bought one of these in the sale for about £275 i think and can’t fault it, we have used it throughout May after my much more expensive one caught fire and melted in front of me

https://www.manomano.co.uk/p/cosmogr...-42-cm-9538438

Edit, ours actually has 4 burners under the grill and 2 under a hot plate but other than that it’s the same

Thanks. What is the model number of yours? Interested in one that has a grill and a hot plate All the ones on their site don’t mention a hot plate specifically.

Cheers

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex L View Post
    Thanks, I worked that out after I'd already ramped it up to 500 degrees and then didn't fancy trying to remove the circular grill with oven gloves.
    A sensible choice. I find gloves work fine with really hot things until you have nowhere practical to place them down without causing damage & then they heat up instantly!

Learned the hard way that suede gauntlets with fat in the fingertips become useless as the fat heats up as do your fingers.

Craftsman

OK it's new BBQ time

we went for all steel as previously we had one the black paint and it peeled off but who knows with this one (different brand)

Just used it now to cook some amazing Pork chops and ribs

Last edited by J3w3ll3r; 1st June 2020 at 19:34.