closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OK it's new BBQ time

Master

OK it's new BBQ time

Hi

Thinking of getting decent gas BBQ this year. Have always had charcoal ones before and fancy something more controllable etc.

Anyway, had a quick look round the local Homebase today and saw a few that looked ok. Here's one for example - https://www.homebase.co.uk/fervor-ranger-610_p495329

Want something of a decent size, but not massive. Budget up to about £500.

Not really sure what to look for so thought I'd ask here as I know quite a few like their BBQs on here.

Have also seen a KitchenAid one in Costco that looks pretty good, although for some reason only the 2 burner one is shown on the site - https://www.costco.co.uk/Garden-Shed...over/p/1902340

Cheers

It seems that the forum’s MX5’s equivalent answer is a Kamado, thus making sure it’s both wildly over budget and charcoal

Having said that, while I appreciate the ease of use of a gaz bbq, charcoal is part of the fun, and by playing with the air flow you can regulate temperature quite precisely. Plus, it’s the manly thing to do.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

That Homebase one looks decent,there’s a few on here who rate Weber ,but they are pricey,I’m too in your position and I’ve been looking at outback,not seen one in the flesh though,but look good for money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I gat one of these last year. Can't really fault it. The rotisserie is an extra that isn't supplied but is well worth it.

https://direct.asda.com/george/outdo...d=D33M03G01C02

Master
    Weber- had other makes over the years and have a Weber Spirit which after 5 years still looks like new. Also parts and accessories readly available.
    I have this one

https://www.wowbbq.co.uk/categories/...13674~46613674
    Last edited by craig1912; 17th May 2020 at 17:03.

Master
    If I were you I’d get a stainless steel one. I got one from Costco about 5 years ago and it’s still like new.
    Previous ones, including an enamelled one similar to that Homebase, rusted to bits within a couple of years.

Craftsman
    Weber.

I got a 3 burner Weber spirit last year, so much better than my old one. You will get one within your budget

https://www.johnlewis.com/weber-spir...bbq/p231878339

Out of stock at JL but you can find it for 499
    Last edited by Neal666; 17th May 2020 at 17:04.

Master
    The great thing about Weber is the fact you can get spare parts for it. Other brands appear in the likes of Homebase etc but when something corrodes like the burners, you may be screwed.

I’ve got the older version of the spirit 3 burner above, had it for 11 years and still going strong, no rust or issues. Needs a lick of paint in a couple of areas, but that is it. Kept outdoors under a cover and all still functions.

Doesn’t stop me wanting to upgrade to a genesis, but it’s our burger & sausage station, the proper bbq is done on the BGE

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Weber Weber Weber

Had mine 11 years and odd part replaced and it will go forever

Has stayed outside for 11 years through stormy and snowy winters just under its cover.

Most other bbq’s are what I call 3 seasons. First year ok, second year starts to rust a bit and by the third year ready for the tip.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    For gas we have a Weber q and it’s been superb the past 5 years only really used for steaks burgers that kind of thing plenty big enough for 6 people and perfect for after work Steaks etc. For everything else there’s the kamado which has just done a leg of lamb today.

Master
    I've got the Weber Spirit Original E310 and love it. Had a 3 burner Outback before it which was OK but not a patch on the Weber for quality or getting decent controlled heat. Might be more expensive it but well worth it in my opinion.

Master
    Weber.
    I have had a Weber Q200 for years now and last year bought a Spirit Classic E320 (3 grill burners + side ring) at the end of the season in B&Q. They had been selling this model for £510 earlier in the summer and reduced it to £350. Luckily my local branch had one in stock and I bought it on a Wednesday, when I got an extra 10% off (Diamond Card) making it £305. I also bought my daughter the two-burner version at the same time, when it was reduced to £250, so £225. I suppose that meant that I spent a total of £530 and ended up with one BBQ.
    Seriously though, these are great BBQs and if you get the chance to compare the Spirit Original or Classic side-by-side with the Spirit II, just compare the thickness of the metal in the lids. The newer Spirit II is a much lighter build altogether and I would go for the earlier version while they are still available. Some sellers are offering the Classic together with the cast iron grills, giving you two sets of grills. The Original has cast iron as standard. I picked up a new cast iron set for mine, new but with a tatty box on eBay. Well worth having.

B&Q had an early season clear out of obsolete Weber models around Jan last year. Some ridiculous value.
    https://www.diy.com/departments/webe.../201328_BQ.prd
    Last edited by TomGW; 17th May 2020 at 20:49.

Craftsman
    There seems to be a consensus building here for Weber - and here’s another fan. I have both a charcoal kettle and a 2 burner gas Genesis. The first kettle I had lasted me 25 years ( lived outside without a cover) and is still in use elsewhere in the family. The Genesis is getting on for 20 years and still going strong. I replaced the grids and bars 3 years ago - spares readily available and reasonably priced. Like the kettle, lives outside and is used all year round whatever the weather.

Weber. Build quality is miles ahead. You can get a basic 57cm model for £140, that will do everything a beginner needs.

Mine's sat outside uncovered for three years, and apart from a bit of rust on the screw holding the lid vent, looks like new.
    Last edited by hogthrob; 18th May 2020 at 09:29.

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    Weber. Build quality is miles ahead. You can get a basic 57cm model for £140, that will do everything a beginner needs.

Mine's sat outside uncovered for three years, and apart from a bit of rust on the screw holding the lid vent, looks like new.
    What model is that sorry? Interested in one

Craftsman
    For gas, Weber is the best option. Like already mentioned, great quality stainless steel and replacement parts available means they last >10 years.

For charcoal at the "cheaper" end, Weber or Napolean (made in Canada). For charcoal with a larger budget, look at the Kamado grills out there.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post

The OP wants a gas BBQ not a charcoal one

Quote Originally Posted by woodacre1983 View Post
    What model is that sorry? Interested in one
    https://www.weber.com/GB/en/barbecue...s/1321004.html

As pointed out by Craig1912, that's charcoal and not gas.

Quote Originally Posted by craig1912 View Post
    The OP wants a gas BBQ not a charcoal one
    You're right. My mistake.

Craftsman
    I bought a Weber Q2200 last month and it’s the best BBQ I’ve used. Simple to setup and a very robust bit of kit.

I didn’t want a large ‘cart’ style model so bought this Q style and built a floating table for it to sit on.

I’d buy Weber again in a flash.

We use a weber charcoal, it's huge though for 2 people. As the little one get's bigger it'll come into it's own.

Dare I say it but Aldi do an egg style ceramic bbq that isn't £1500 (John Lewis), https://www.aldi.co.uk/kamado-cerami...01432333197500 that looks pretty appealing.

Got to be coals though. A gas bbq is just an outside cooker 😛

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cynar View Post
    If I were you I’d get a stainless steel one. I got one from Costco about 5 years ago and it’s still like new.
    Previous ones, including an enamelled one similar to that Homebase, rusted to bits within a couple of years.
    What Cynar said!

i got a landmann 660 Taurus charcoal one - as good as any weber - @£200

been outdoors with and without a cover for a few years now and still good for a few more
    it lights up coals in a gale force and simple to maintain - Landmann do a gas range too
    Last edited by Xantiagib; 19th May 2020 at 11:11.

Master
    Weber Q3200 here.
    Really wasn't sure about having a gas BBQ as always been a charcoal man - but this is great.
    Lid down cooking & everything tastes so good - steaks, pizza, even pancakes (on a hotplate)!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ENES View Post
    Weber Q3200 here.
    Really wasn't sure about having a gas BBQ as always been a charcoal man - but this is great.
    Lid down cooking & everything tastes so good - steaks, pizza, even pancakes (on a hotplate)!
    They’re awesome aren’t they.

Any tips for cooking steaks please - I’ve mastered everything else but can’t seam to get the right medium-rare style that I do in a pan despite having a meat temp probe :(

Do you cook with the lid up or down for a steak?

Quote Originally Posted by gavsw20 View Post

Any tips for cooking steaks please - I’ve mastered everything else but can’t seam to get the right medium-rare style that I do in a pan despite having a meat temp probe :(

Lid down always, if you're lookin' you ain't cookin'.

Max heat, lid down for 10 minutes before putting the steak on. Oil and season the steak. Put it on the grill, turn the heat down to medium, lid down, a few minutes later (depending on thickness of steak), open the lid, turn the steak, lid down, a few minutes later take off the steak and rest it for a couple of minutes.

Bin the temp probe. Eat the steak.

Tip:

Gently touch you index finger tip to your thumb tip. With your other hand press your thumb muscle:

That feeling of the soft muscle = the feeling of a rare steak when you press it.
    Touch your second finger with the tip of your thumb = Medium
    Third finger = Well done
    Fourth finger / little finger = Over cooked, give it to the dog.

My preferred cut is Ribeye.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ENES View Post
    Weber Q3200 here.
    I have the older version of the same
    model and agree it’s outstanding.

Bought mine almost 7yrs ago when living in Dubai, used it most days for 8 months of the year there. It’s since been in the UK for the past 5yrs, still going great guns although I do need to replace the cover and am tempted by new grill. I much prefer the cast iron grill to the ceramic style ones.

Re the argument for coals, I get where you’re coming from and for a lovely weekend bbq coals are lovely. But for the simplicity of being able to get great results any bright evening, at the click of a lighter, is not to be underestimated. Zero faff and great results.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    My outback 3 burner is about to be cast aside into the relative obscurity of the garage as I've a kamado grill coming.
    It's stood out in all weathers for 6 years+ and has performed bloody well but is now showing severe signs of deterioration.
    Quote Originally Posted by Toddy View Post
    I've got the Weber Spirit Original E310 and love it. Had a 3 burner Outback before it which was OK but not a patch on the Weber for quality or getting decent controlled heat. Might be more expensive it but well worth it in my opinion.
    Sent from my Pixel 3 using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gavsw20 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    Lid down always, if you're lookin' you ain't cookin'.

Max heat, lid down for 10 minutes before putting the steak on. Oil and season the steak. Put it on the grill, turn the heat down to medium, lid down, a few minutes later (depending on thickness of steak), open the lid, turn the steak, lid down, a few minutes later take off the steak and rest it for a couple of minutes.

Bin the temp probe. Eat the steak.

Tip:

Gently touch you index finger tip to your thumb tip. With your other hand press your thumb muscle:

That feeling of the soft muscle = the feeling of a rare steak when you press it.
    Touch your second finger with the tip of your thumb = Medium
    Third finger = Well done
    Fourth finger / little finger = Over cooked, give it to the dog.

My preferred cut is Ribeye.
    Pretty much as chrisparker says :-
    Get the bbq nice & hot
    Season / oil
    I leave burners on high & press down steaks when you drop them directly on the grill.
    For medium, I cook an inch thick steak for about 4 minutes each side - just turn steak once.
    Always lid down.
    Leave to rest while you grab a beer & then enjoy!

Lamb chops / cutlets taste great cooked this way too.

This thread is making me hungry....

I have used Beefeater gas BBQ's since 1999, always been great, well built

Master
    Was in Homebase today buying some paint and saw that they had a Plancha. Hadn't really seen one in a shop before and was intrigued, so a little searching when I got home and I came across this - https://www.verycook.co.uk/p/279-pla..._steel_verynox

This the Homebase one - https://www.homebase.co.uk/texas-4-b...ha-bbq_p542744

Different to a normal gas BBQ, but I like the idea of it and I think it might suit the type of food we would use a BBQ for better (typically sausages; chicken wings/breasts; corn on the cob; mushrooms etc.).

Anyone used one of these? Be interested in some real-world views or opinions.

Thanks
    Last edited by bambam; 23rd May 2020 at 17:03.

Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    Was in Homebase today buying some paint and saw that they had a Plancha. Hadn't really seen one in a shop before and was intrigued, so a little searching when I got home and I came across this - https://www.verycook.co.uk/p/279-pla..._steel_verynox

This the Homebase one - https://www.homebase.co.uk/texas-4-b...ha-bbq_p542744

Different to a normal gas BBQ, but I like the idea of it and I think it might suit the type of food we would use a BBQ for better (typically sausages; chicken wings/breasts; corn on the cob; mushrooms etc.).

Anyone used one of these? Be interested in some real-world views or opinions.

Thanks
    I have been looking at a plancha myself as a 2nd bbq to keep at my in laws farm for when we visit. A US brand called Blackstone gets great reviews but cannot find supplier here. Have been looking at Tasty Trotter which has a stainless worktop or Beefeater Clubman which in this price range has a mild steel top similar to the Blackstone. Idea is it can be used for quick cook up without too much cleaning up after.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I went for a Napoleon Gas bbq. I looked at Webber and Charbroil but went for the Napoleon for the infrared side grill. You can also get a charcoal tray that drops into the grill, you then use the gas burner to light the charcoal.

Only had it 3 months but so far very impressed with build quality and design.

Cheers

Ross

Master
    I converted to gas last week with the purchase of a 3 burner Weber Spirit from bbqworld. Price seemed good and delivery was quick. Nice offer of 0% as well.

Build quality seems good, a few issues with holes not being aligned, a bit like early Ikea stuff, but I built it in around 90 minutes.

Wow, what a different (and for me, much better) experience this is to charcoal. Quick start up, much easier to control the heat, easy to clean and above all food tastes great. Have done the usual sausages and burgers for the kids plus some pork chops, fish (in foil) and amazing rib eyes yesterday. Am learning to use and 'trust the grill' :)

ETA: anyone bothered with the sear grate? Looks like a fancy way to get diamonds that's all?

Lamb from my Weber on Friday. Seared for 2 mins each side on direct high heat. Then indirect for an hour.
    Absolutely delicious

Master
    I bought a Weber Q1000 in 2018 to replace a coals Weber Kettle. Meant we used it so much more. For 4 of us it is perfect as we don't tend to cook loads. I have done a shuttle system at a party with it too and it managed. I think I posted his channel in another thread ages ago but this guy https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQf...8v7yg/featured did loads on a Q on a fire escape in Brooklyn and some good recipes. Shows what you can do at any rate.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Crispin View Post
    I have been looking at a plancha myself as a 2nd bbq to keep at my in laws farm for when we visit. A US brand called Blackstone gets great reviews but cannot find supplier here. Have been looking at Tasty Trotter which has a stainless worktop or Beefeater Clubman which in this price range has a mild steel top similar to the Blackstone. Idea is it can be used for quick cook up without too much cleaning up after.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Be interested if you do any more research etc.on this. I've been looking around today and had a look at the Tasty Trotter and the Beefeater ones - both look good, but maybe a bit too large for my needs. Have been looking more at the table top types like these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/FireFriend-...ct_top?ie=UTF8

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Campingaz-g...7JRC1SYV51QQ6G

Just trying to work out the best size (they all seem to be in the c.60cm x 40cm range) and if having more than 2 burners makes any difference.

Thinking at the moment is to get a table top type and buy a separate metal table to put it on - one that has some spare space and get a cover. Maybe just over-thinking it. I think if the FireFriend one was in stock then I would have just ordered it!

If anyone has been through a plancha purchase then I'm all ears! This includes places to try.

Journeyman
    Last summer I decided to spend a few quid and bought one of these;

https://www.wowbbq.co.uk/product/web...iABEgJxkPD_BwE

Paid a lot less than shown as found one somewhere in a clearance which John Lewis price matched.

Took ages to put together as wish I’d paid JL to assemble, but other than that it’s faultless and hadn’t skipped a beat.

Quote Originally Posted by tleefox View Post
    Last summer I decided to spend a few quid and bought one of these;

https://www.wowbbq.co.uk/product/web...iABEgJxkPD_BwE

Paid a lot less than shown as found one somewhere in a clearance which John Lewis price matched.

Took ages to put together as wish I’d paid JL to assemble, but other than that it’s faultless and hadn’t skipped a beat.
    Similar to mine which I bought about a month ago. Great bit of kit but need to learn how to use it properly. Came with a free pizza stone and griddle.

Untitled by Alex L, on Flickr

Cooked pizzas twice so far and much easier to get it up to temperature if I don’t take it out of my barn

Untitled by Alex L, on Flickr

Journeyman
    Any thoughts on the Weber Q Electric grills, especially the Weber Pulse 2000 ?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex L View Post
    Cooked pizzas twice so far and much easier to get it up to temperature if I don’t take it out of my barn
    Haven't tried pizza on mine yet - how did you find them?

As part of my lockdown agenda I've been using it to smoke ribs over a 6 hour period, which has had mixed results so far.

As part of my lockdown agenda I've been using it to smoke ribs over a 6 hour period, which has had mixed results so far.
    Other than taking around 5 or 6 minutes to cook, they're as good as my friend's in his proper pizza oven.

Master

Assume spare ribs not baby back ribs at that time? How are you cooking them, Texas crutch are all?

I used to do all the crutch etc but now run my smoker at 225-250C for 4.5hrs for Costco baby backs (much larger & meatier than supermarket ones, about 600g each) with no fooling and then sauce for the final 15 mins.

Always come out with just the right bite / pull away from the bone. Found the crutch often pushed them ribs too far.

If you haven’t already, have a look at www.amazingribs.com some great ribs, recipes etc along with loads of science as to what’s happening.

I haven't been able to secure a Lidl Kamado, so ordered a Weber plancha to fit my Gourmet system. Should be there for this weekend!
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Assume spare ribs not baby back ribs at that time? How are you cooking them, Texas crutch are all?

I used to do all the crutch etc but now run my smoker at 225-250C for 4.5hrs for Costco baby backs (much larger & meatier than supermarket ones, about 600g each) with no fooling and then sauce for the final 15 mins.

Always come out with just the right bite / pull away from the bone. Found the crutch often pushed them ribs too far.

If you haven’t already, have a look at www.amazingribs.com some great ribs, recipes etc along with loads of science as to what’s happening.

I don’t crutch either.

My most recent pork ribs were:

- St. Louis spares (1.4kg rack) which took just under 4 hours at an average of 275
    - Baby backs (650g rack) which took a little under 2.5 hours at an average of 250

...and they were the best ribs I’ve cooked yet. Very tender and juicy.

I know now it’s not recommended, but I always try to cook them with a probe measuring internal temperature, using it as an indication. I then test for tenderness with a metal spike once I think I’m there or thereabouts.

6 hours sounds a long time, even at 225 I’d have thought, for the size of ribs we can typically procure in the UK.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by mab View Post
    I don’t crutch either.

My most recent pork ribs were:

- St. Louis spares (1.4kg rack) which took just under 4 hours at an average of 275
    - Baby backs (650g rack) which took a little under 2.5 hours at an average of 250

...and they were the best ribs I’ve cooked yet. Very tender and juicy.

I know now it’s not recommended, but I always try to cook them with a probe measuring internal temperature, using it as an indication. I then test for tenderness with a metal spike once I think I’m there or thereabouts.

6 hours sounds a long time, even at 225 I’d have thought, for the size of ribs we can typically procure in the UK.
    I agree and don't crutch smaller pieces like ribs as they don't need it. Brisket on the other hand is more likely to need a crutch to speed up the long cooks and retain moisture.

Master
    I’ve always wanted to probe ribs as just like knowing where I am without getting up, but can never get it to stay in place.