closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: The problem with these Casio G-Shocks now is that they are too good....

The problem with these Casio G-Shocks now is that they are too good....

I took this Casio G-Shock GPR-B1000 GPS Rangerman in part trade recently, I hadn’t even heard of this model before but I’m blown away by how impressive it is. This beast of a watch owes me around £450 and has an incredible array of features, as well as the usual Rangerman specs it has built in GPS which combined with a superb compass makes it the perfect watch for exploring. As well as coming with a charger it’s also solar powered and like all G-Shocks it’s practically indestructible.
    The reason I say it’s a problem is because I have always enjoyed high quality ana-digital watches, I’ve owned Omega X33’s, Z33’s, Breitling B1’s, Airwolf’s , Aerospace, B50’s and the B55 over the years but these GShocks are now so well built these days with excellent finishing, sapphire crystal and of course an incredible list of features that they have now officially killed off any desire to get an expensive ‘high end’ ana-digital. Maybe I’m alone in thinking this, Gshocks used to leave me a little cold and I never really appreciated them but recent releases from the Casio stable have changed my whole perspective.
    Here’s a nice 5 minute video summarising what this beast can do.
    https://youtu.be/kXfSRY5vcoY

I have never really been into G shocks but my GMW-B5000s (two of them) are firm favorites of mine, look and feel quality imo.

Master
    I have a GW-M5610 and it’s the only one I need, albeit I have another two that are the same size. In truth I only use it as a reference point when adjusting my automatic watches. The others are just way too big and have way too many features that I’d never need or use. They don’t seem to be especially intuitive or user friendly, either. But each to their own.

I know what you mean OP. I love high end ana-digis but bought this titanium square G when my out of warranty X-33 Skywalker developed a movement fault and is going to need a full service. To say I am disappointed is an understatement.

This has incredible build quality and I know will not break. It feels it will last forever. Titanium all over and a brilliantly legible positive display. It could kill my love affair with high end ana-digis.

Thought they were 2 different watches at first. G-shocks are good and serve their purpose, but they'll never take the place of my 'nice' watches.

I have to agree though, if you want a watch for going on an adventure, it can't be beaten.

Master
    I have owned the same watch and sold it on here a few months ago.

I agree having owned an Omega X33 this watch really is VFM.

The only downside is it's BIG...i don't mind that on it's own but it is too deep/fat as well and is the reason i sold it.

I would think that in another couple of years the newer version will be a little bit slimmer and i will buy again.

Straps are still a weak point. Had several break over not that much time and Casio want alot to replace a part that will break again

The attention to detail and build on the full metal squares, masters of g and modern MTG’s is superb.

God knows how good the MRG’s are. I didn’t win the lottery last night so I’m still waiting to find out.

Quote Originally Posted by mjc1216 View Post
    I have owned the same watch and sold it on here a few months ago.

I agree having owned an Omega X33 this watch really is VFM.

The only downside is it's BIG...i don't mind that on it's own but it is too deep/fat as well and is the reason i sold it.

I would think that in another couple of years the newer version will be a little bit slimmer and i will buy again.
    If they could make it slimmer/smaller and with a bracelet even I would definitely make the upgrade.

For those of us who don't need the extensive features of the GPS Rangeman, I'll contend that the GW-5000 should suffice all other needs, plus being well built, non-garish, reliable and sized sensibly..
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    For those of us who don't need the extensive features of the GPS Rangeman, I'll contend that the GW-5000 should suffice all other needs, plus being well built, non-garish, reliable and sized sensibly..
    Agree, I didn’t have the wrists to pull off the former & sold it here, loved the idea of the tech but no need for it whatsoever!

I love my 5000 and on the custom cerakote finish it hasn’t been off my wrist since lock down, just love it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    Straps are still a weak point. Had several break over not that much time and Casio want alot to replace a part that will break again
    I know on this one being a premium model the strap is reinforced with carbon so hopefully much more hard wearing.

Quote Originally Posted by shalako View Post
    I know on this one being a premium model the strap is reinforced with carbon so hopefully much more hard wearing.
    Good point, the higher end ones do have some better stronger parts for sure.

I might be seeing things but casio to my eye have different quality of LCD screen also.

My more pricey one to me seems noticeably nicer screen color / clarity but I might be dreaming lol

Master
    I’m glad you’re enjoying it Steve, I thought you would.
    Used mine on a walk across Ashdown Forest today, great piece of kit, even if it is big and bold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    I’d love a G-Shock with the functionality of an Apple Watch. It would be my perfect digital beater and sports watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Cat7 View Post
    I’m glad you’re enjoying it Steve, I thought you would.
    Used mine on a walk across Ashdown Forest today, great piece of kit, even if it is big and bold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Looks great Paul but have you worked out how it works yet!?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by shalako View Post
    Looks great Paul but have you worked out how it works yet!?
    I’ve worked out how to set a route and reverse it
    How about you

Quote Originally Posted by Cat7 View Post
    I’ve worked out how to set a route and reverse it
    How about you
    Pretty much everything after watching this you tube ‘how to guide’ that was over an hour long.....

https://youtu.be/hiGE0O9Ft3c

Master
    Good man, will check that out cheers

Yes, but they are really, really ugly, aren’t they?

Simon

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post

Simon
    Yes, indeed.

Blog Entries
    I agree Steve the functionality is fantastic, I plan to use mine when hiking in Portugal (whenever that becomes reality), but meantime have been tracking walks to areas unknown directly from home. I even discovered an area designated as a Wildlife Sanctuary within walking distance.

It will not replace my X-33 though, which is a piece of space history as much as the mechanical Speedmaster. And who’s alarms are so loud that they easily wake up next doors dog, unlike the puney buzz the Casio laughingly calls an alarm.

They are complementary watches for me.

I would not sell either

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post

Simon
    You might be right, they aren’t good looking in any conventional sense but then again I own one of these, it’s beauty is in its ugliness.

Perhaps that’s the next step for Casio is to make some of their models better looking although from my perspective I like the rugged built for adventure look of some of their models.
    Last edited by shalako; 18th May 2020 at 07:58.

Cracking bit of kit - must buy another!

Great features, but it's ruddy huge.

Apprentice
    Ruggedness aside, is there really much to distinguish these from a smart watch?