closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: In the days before go-pros.......

In the days before go-pros.......

Adventure seekers are not new and it seems neither are go-pros...... lets wind the clock back shall we - to 1976

Totally illegal
    Totally dangerous
    Totally NOT recommended but
    100% insane and just wow...... some back story then the video is at the bottom. Enjoy :D

In August 1976, 44 years ago, French filmmaker Claude Lelouch adapted a gyroscope camera in the front of a Ferrari 275 GTB, and invited a friend, a professional Formula 1 driver, to make a journey in the heart of Paris to the greatest possible speed before clearing up the day.
    The film should last 10 minutes and the route would go from Porte Dauphine through the Louvre to the SacreCoeur basilica.
    Lelouch did not get permission to close any streets on the dangerous journey.
    The pilot completed the circuit in less than 9 minutes, reaching up to 260 km per hour at certain times.
    The film shows him passing red lights, dodging pedestrians, scaring off pigeons, and driving one-way streets at dawn.
    When the film was first presented to the public, Claude Lelouch was arrested.
    But he never revealed the name of the Formula 1 driver that day, which is speculated to have been either René Arnoux or Jean-Pierre Jarier.
    The film was banned and would only be shown in Underground theaters.
    If you haven't seen the classic yet, hold your breath and watch it below.
    Enjoy the excitement of driving around Paris on a Ferrari 275 GTB, it's worth it. Headphones recommended!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeEeyOCJ1OA

Lelouch now says he drove and filmed the trip himself, and it was in his Mercedes 450SEL 6.9, adding the sound of the Ferrari afterwards. Still impressive though.

Was this before people had been invented in Paris ? There seems to be a fair lack of them about. Loving what appears to be a red light run through at 2m 17s haha

Craftsman
    Thank you for that, it was mental but brilliant at the same time.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    This is a short film called rendezvous, it was shrouded in controversy and mystery in its day and was not available for a long time... yes there are arguments as to whether it's a Mercedes or Ferrari and who drove but its superb regardless..
    I assume it would be difficult to match the downshifts and engine noise if it has been dubbed? The lack of people I think is because it was filmed very early in the morning...
    I paid £30 for the dvd about 15 years ago as it was so hard to get.
    This movie inspired a guy called alex roy to compete in the gumball rally his book the driver is worth a read if this is your type of thing.

Sent from my SM-G960F using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Wow. There were a few hairy moments with buses and the like and I was surprised how much of it I recognised at that speed.
    Thanks for sharing.

Master
    I’ve got the DVD somewhere too, great short film, but as already said it was filmed using a Mercedes and at much more modest speeds than the film gives the impression of.

A great piece of work nonetheless!

Master
    Definitely an audio/video mismatch going on there. As he's approaching the Arc De Triomphe he's flat out in top if the audio is to be believed, yet he only shifts down for the roundabout with less than 100m to spare. Then he goes through the gears again down the Champs Elysee, into top gear which should be around 150mph if the audio is correct, yet he's overtaking cars with only a 30-40mph speed differential.

Cool video but it's not all it seems

Some of the overtaking of other vehicles should appear much faster ... still a great thing to watch sitting in sun with a beer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lelouch and all the witnesses confirmed it was the Merc, chosen because of its hydraulic suspension, over the Ferrari but Lelouch owned both cars at the time anyway.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

here is the true backstory to the stunt. https://www.granturismoevents.com/ne...is-movie-1976/
    the photos taken from it show the camera mount on the Mercedes but also shows him wearing a rather nice watch - can anyone identify the watch ?

As an aside, and sorry for the name dropping, but both Lelouch and Chouraqui (who was supposed to give the all clear when crossing the rue de Rivoli) are extremely pleasant and funny.

I put in on mute and hummed Un Homme Et Une Femme all the way through, ba da ba da da ba da ba da

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Lelouch and all the witnesses confirmed it was the Merc, chosen because of its hydraulic suspension, over the Ferrari but Lelouch owned both cars at the time anyway.
    Hydropneumatic actually. I had one and repairing the suspension bankrupted me!

Quote Originally Posted by junglebert View Post
    Hydropneumatic actually. I had one and repairing the suspension bankrupted me!
    Thank you. I was on my phone and I was not sure as most Citroens of my youth had one (DS, CX and the sooo underated GS)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter franks View Post
    This movie inspired a guy called alex roy to compete in the gumball rally his book the driver is worth a read if this is your type of thing.

Sent from my SM-G960F using TZ-UK mobile app
    Another vote for the book the driver. It's a brilliant read and fascinating to gain an insight in to the amount of prep that goes in to 'point to point racing'

Craftsman

In the days before go-pros.......

He used strategically positioned people flashing a torch to show the way was clear thru blind bends. Amazing short film.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by cnjm1 View Post
    He used strategically positioned people flashing a torch to show the way was clear thru blind bends. Amazing short film.
    No he didn't. The only other person, as I alluded to earlier, was Elie Chouraqui with a walkie talkie on the rue de Rivoli, who was to give a no-go if cars were comings as he exited the Cour du Louvres. Except, Chouraqui tried the "testing 1-2-3" and got no answer as it was not working; Lelouch assumed all was good. Fortunately it didn't need to use it.

An earlier point about the absence of people. It shows how much our lifestyle has changed, between 1976 and today, as traffic even that early in the morning is entirely different.