closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Watch sizes and how they wear...

Apprentice

Watch sizes and how they wear...

Hi All
    I recently bought a previous generation Aquaracer to add to the collection (I might start a new topic sometime on the whys and wherefores of the purchase) but one thing that struck me when it arrived was how it wore much larger than its stated size of 40.5, especially when compared to my Speedy and SKX that are both 42mm.

I think the Speedy wears smaller due to the bezel measuring 39mm or thereabouts and the SKX due to the lug to lug and crown position.

It reminded me how the diameter, although a big factor, is really only an indicator and how each watch makers unique designs can make such a difference.

Just wondered if anyone else had any thoughts on this or have experienced any watches that wear much larger or smaller than their stated sizes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    I wear many sizes and every one is different.

I can go from this @ 34mm.......

To this at 42mm........and both feel good to wear. I think people get too hung up on what size they are compared to how they feel actually wearing them. Although having said that I don't like watches that are overly thick.

Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Theres a few factors at play in this I believe...

Your wrist geometry has a big part to play. My wrist circumference is about 7.5" but my wrist are very square in cross section. A friend of mine has flatter wrists and he is also about 7.5" circumference. He can wear far larger watches than I can.

Lugs have a big role to play in the general appearance of a watch as you mention above but I believe height is also critical.

I once wore a Marathon GSAR, fantastic watch but it wears large due to a chunky bezel; I think because it wears high it looks large.

Tudor Black Bays have a 'slab side' which sort of enlarges their appearance and Fortis often look large in the same way the Marathon did for me.

I can (just) get away with my Speedy Pro (42mm) but like you say, its sloping nature from the dome down to the low bezel makes it more forgiving.

Journeyman
    It’s the lug to lug length and lug shape that seem to make the biggest difference for me. Case in point being the Tuna which on the face of it sounds huge but doesn’t wear that large at all. Similarly the Sinn divers with their short, curved lugs.

Apprentice
    Agree with your comments on the chunky bezel TimeThoughts, currently debating a mod on my SKX with a sloping bezel.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    I wear many sizes and every one is different.
    Likewise. From a 1984 Datejust up to a Voyager with sizes between.
    F.T.F.A.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SlipperySam View Post
    It’s the lug to lug length and lug shape that seem to make the biggest difference for me. Case in point being the Tuna which on the face of it sounds huge but doesn’t wear that large at all. Similarly the Sinn divers with their short, curved lugs.
    Agreed. For me the critical measure is lug-lug width across watch (across watch face - not the standard stated lug-lug width). I can take up-to 50mm but above that the lugs tend to overhang my wrist.

I think the close up view we see is often distorted compared to what a watch actually looks like - so try looking in a mirror before discarding a larger watch.

Martyn

My Archimede Deck Watch is the usual 42mm case diameter for this style of watch, and coupled with the slim bezel these watches have they wear quite large. However, and unusually, the Archimede has 20mm lugs rather than the usual 22mm, and the resultant reduction in bulk of the strap means it wears fine on my 7" wrist. There's more to it than bare numbers on a spec sheet.
    F.T.F.A.

It’s the lug to lug length and lug shape that seem to make the biggest difference for me.
    ditto
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Craftsman
    I had a Seiko Turtle which is a rather large watch, and then I bought a Hamilton Khaki mechanical and flipped the Turtle because it just wore to large. With the Hamilton being 38mm you would think it would wear small, but it has a long lug to lug and a thin bezel and large dial area so it really wears large. I then bought a Smith's Everest and that was wear I found my sweet spot. I really like my watches to be in the 35-37mm range.

There are a lot of factors that play into how the size of a watch will wear. I find that the lug to lug with the size of the bezel and dial play a big part in how big or small a watch will wear.

It’s the lug to lug length and lug shape that seem to make the biggest difference for me.
    This, but also the height is important. I have very small wrists 6.75” and it’s easy for a taller watch to just look wrong. Unfortunately this seems to include most of the Tudors I really like

Master
    I cannot really understand all the commotion about size. I wore a 34mm Omega Constellation daily for 36 years. It still looks OK and if you look around you (admittedly not easy these days) you will see dozens of men wearing small watches and no one gives a damn. I think it is something we needlessly wind ourselves up about.

Just wear what you like.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Akgooner View Post
    Hi All
    I recently bought a previous generation Aquaracer to add to the collection (I might start a new topic sometime on the whys and wherefores of the purchase) but one thing that struck me when it arrived was how it wore much larger than its stated size of 40.5, especially when compared to my Speedy and SKX that are both 42mm.

I think the Speedy wears smaller due to the bezel measuring 39mm or thereabouts and the SKX due to the lug to lug and crown position.

It reminded me how the diameter, although a big factor, is really only an indicator and how each watch makers unique designs can make such a difference.

Just wondered if anyone else had any thoughts on this or have experienced any watches that wear much larger or smaller than their stated sizes?

I’ve been a one watch guy since I was a kid. Buying one watch at a time and use it until it brakes or starts to feel small on my wrist.
    When I decided to buy my first Rolex a couple of years ago, I was so attracted to the GMT, Sub and DJ 41 lines.
    Went to the boutique to try them on and then decide which to buy but then something odd happened. All three models looks to small to my eyes, I just couldn’t pull the trigger on any. It was kid of disappointing because in pictures, these watches looked to amazing.
    I ended up buying a watch that I had completely overlooked, the SD-43.
    Here’s a video that summarize the way I think watches should be considered. I find it very interesting.

https://youtu.be/Hw9XiMtHa7Y

How this is only 40mm I don’t know. It feels much larger.

This wears quite small

Speedies wear quite big on me

and this was just massive anyway

Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    This wears quite small

Speedies wear quite big on me

and this was just massive anyway

The speedy on a bracelet definitely wears bigger, mainly why mine only spends a couple of months a year in it.... and the lack of adjustability.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app