closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Regret selling?

Craftsman

Regret selling?

I sold a big box Speedy pro last year and a couple of Polar Explorer IIs (one last month and one last year) and I find I am eally missing the Speedy and Explorer II. Even though i am have not been wearing watches much because of the lockdown, it is the knowledge that I no longer have them. It is not about financial value.

I also sold my SD4k last month and although I know there is much love for them, I am not missing mine.

What watches have you sold that you are surprised you miss - and ones that you don't?.

too many to mention other than 2 that always springs to mind. i could go down the Rolex regret route etc but actually there are only 2 watches i miss:

JLC navy Seals
    Bell & Ross Acrylic Pilot Chrono on bracelet, the bracelet was the most comfortable steel bracelet i have ever worn, the watch was well balanced size wise

Dave

I miss the ones that have doubled in value and don't miss those I took a bath on

GMT 16700 is missed.

Craftsman
    I sold a speedie a couple of years back as I needed the money at the time and regretted it immediately. This was the pre big box version. I now have the big box version but wish I still had the other. The big box is just a gimmick for me.

I also sold a SuperOcean Steelfish about 4 years ago to the father in law as I was giving the money to the wife towards a car. He still has it and has said he’s thinking of selling so I may get it back. Not a fan of Breitlings anymore having owned a couple but I still really like the steelfish. A great watch.

Master
    I think for me apart from one, it’s only ones that have gone up in value that I’d ever regret and even then I don’t really, just an ‘if only I’d kept it’ thought ...

I’ve just sold 3 very nice watches to buy one so time will tell if I end up missing them.

Blog Entries
    To many but one in particular that was a Rolex “ Kermit” flat four got it from Jedly a name some might remember we met at Bonham's many years ago and given today’s pricing but forget the money it was just a bloody nice watch.
    Last edited by mart broad; 16th May 2020 at 18:20.
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Master
    Biggest regret Tudor Chrono 79260

Sent from my SM-A202F using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Putting value gains and losses aside I really miss my IWC Portuguese Chronograph and my JLC Reverso 976. They were traded in to get a ceramic steel / yellow gold GMT Master II. Don’t really know what I was thinking - In the end I sold the Rolex back to the dealer within 6 months because it was just too flashy looking.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Biggest regret is my 116655 rose gold yacht master, I still don’t think I’ve found a watch that looks as good as that or as comfortable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Never sold a watch, so no regrets in selling.

I did, however give away a Seiko 007.

Always wished I had never done that. Saw a 009 Pepsi some years later whilst abroad, and decided to get that one (not the one in the shop - too expensive).

Purchased back in Blighty. Won't give that away.

I can't wait for Tony (Learningtofly) to see this thread. That said, he may not regret selling a huge number of absolute classics.
    Last edited by Skier; 17th May 2020 at 09:43.

Journeyman
    The only one I miss is my Omega Seamaster 2265.80. It was my first ‘good’ watch, I bought it new in 2002 (I think) and wore it daily for about 10 years. It never missed a beat.

Apprentice
    I still regret selling my two tone Tudor Date Day 94613 with champagne dial.
    I thought the two tone didn’t really suit my lifestyle at the time and wasn’t a big fan of the folded links in the bracelet but in hindsight I let go of a very nice watch that was in reasonably good condition for its age.
    Especially as I don’t think I’d ever be able to justify a Rolex Day Date anytime soon.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    There’s a few watches I regret selling...

A Tudor 79170 big block Chrono with silver dial. What a lovely thing, bit like this one

https://www.chrono24.co.uk/tudor/oys...GB&SETCURR=GBP

A Tudor Black Bay Blue that I was rather attached to but it made way for an incoming.

A stunning 1973 (birth year) DJ bought from here.

If funds were no object I’d buy these all again.

Ian

Just one
    A monnin cased full lume dial (Tritium) Zodiac red dot Diver. It had the original bracelet as well. Oh well

Apprentice
    I still feel sick when I recall selling my Heuer 1550sg because I was out of work. Should have just lived on baked beans for a few weeks. Also the 5513 that went with it.

My Datejust from 2003. Sold it in 2009 and always regretted it.

Craftsman
    I had 79160 - silver dial also. Beautiful piece.

Definitely regret selling it..

Quote Originally Posted by ism123 View Post
    There’s a few watches I regret selling...

A Tudor 79170 big block Chrono with silver dial. What a lovely thing, bit like this one

https://www.chrono24.co.uk/tudor/oys...GB&SETCURR=GBP

A Tudor Black Bay Blue that I was rather attached to but it made way for an incoming.

A stunning 1973 (birth year) DJ bought from here.

If funds were no object I’d buy these all again.

Ian

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    My AP Royal ROO Diver white dial, aquanaut, 1675, stardust 16660 and 1665. I sort of miss my 116660 d-blue but if I got it again I'd go for the 126660.

I miss my polar Explorer II 42mm but not the snowflake bezel. Scratches way too easy.

Also miss my 16600 too but I don't have the wrists to carry it off so not a huge loss. Lovely watch though.

Craftsman
    A white dialled Seiko Helmet. In good nick, with original bracelet. I've now got a hankering to buy another one, only to find they've about tripled in value...

Also my SKX, because it was my first proper watch, but I can't bring myself to pay the best part of £300 for one now.

Where do I start!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by TAFKARM View Post
    Where do I start!
    Same here...

Guess it would the A-Serial Zenith Daytona 16520 and the Submariner 1680 from my year of birth...both full sets.
    Could also add the 3 or 4 16610LVs that I bought and sold over the years plus the 5167 Aquanaut....

My first dssd so I bought another,my first Pam 389 so I bought another .
    Pam 233 ,will the pattern continue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master

I really, really, miss this. Stupid to sell it. Stupid......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    My Planet Ocean 2500......worst mistake ever and sold on here just over a year ago. I will need to break my own rule on never going back

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

The only one I ever consider buying again is the Glycine Lagunare LCC in orange. Massive orange thing. I bought the limited edition after, with the black face and the orange minute hand, but it's not quite the same. Stupid watch really, tiny movement in a massive case with a date window at sea in the dial. I think I sold in here, so if whoever bought it is out there...

I thought I'd regret selling the MM300 or the spring drive 600, but I haven't missed them. Much.

I've put my name down for something really insane, so I'll probably have to sell nearly everything in a few months. Might regret that.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmer42 View Post
    My Planet Ocean 2500......worst mistake ever and sold on here just over a year ago. I will need to break my own rule on never going back

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk
    I would definitely say that's the best watch I've sold too.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    There has been loads.
    But probably it’s this Rolex Datejust that my wife purchased as an engagement present. Owned it for 30 years. Had it serviced by Rolex. Looked like new.

I never hear the end of it. The plan was to buy a newer Datejust that was easier to read.
    Done that twice. But sold them as well.

Master
    I try not to think about it.I guess worst are the JLC master quartz with blue dial and the Rolex 1016 with service dial and the Rolex 16750 but I could go on ....But I've no complaints.
    Last edited by Dr.f; 17th May 2020 at 20:21.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    I miss the ones that have doubled in value and don't miss those I took a bath on
    What about the ones you took a bath on but then doubled in value?

I had something like this experience with a BMW e30, though I did get a lot of fun out of it first.

Any watch that I've sold on and missed, I've bought back down the line

I don't really miss any.

I'm guessing that if I did and bought one back I'd remember why I sold it in the first place!
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

Craftsman
    I sold a couple of iwc's that I miss ,a pilots chronograph and an ingenieur ,this was when they made good watches .Also a zenith chrono which was pretty nice .

Sent from my moto g(7) play using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I agree, stunning watch!

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bitt3n View Post
    What about the ones you took a bath on but then doubled in value?

I had something like this experience with a BMW e30, though I did get a lot of fun out of it first.
    I do have the distinction of being the only person in the world who lost money on a white dialled Ceramic Daytona

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    I do have the distinction of being the only person in the world who lost money on a white dialled Ceramic Daytona
    😳 How did you manage that?

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post

Answer this with outright honesty..... Would you miss it if it had completely tanked or rather, do you miss it because it soared in value .

I answered the OP's thread question from a fondness not fiscal point of view.

Where do you stand ?

Quote Originally Posted by Iain73 View Post
     How did you manage that?
    Bought it and sold it two weeks later - lost £250. Not my smartest move.

Hamilton pan europ chrono, I’ve had three but looking for another
    Prometheus sailfish, I’ve had three, blue,yellow and black, looking for another
    Tudor Pelagos, only one but looking for another
    There’s a bit of a pattern going on

Great thread

Daytona white face - sold it 4m before prices doubled... #perfect timing

Thanks
    S

A few...

- A lovely 1665 Seadweller
    - A 5712 Nautilus
    - A 3712 Nautilus (but not both!)
    - A 5980 Nautilus
    - Reverso duo face night and day

I'm okay with all the rest I've sold I think, although there were a few other Pateks which would have been worth a lot more now.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    Answer this with outright honesty..... Would you miss it if it had completely tanked or rather, do you miss it because it soared in value .

I answered the OP's thread question from a fondness not fiscal point of view.

Where do you stand ?
    The 116509 Daytona is, to me, the most lovely watch I’ve owned. That’s why I regret selling it. Because it’s beautiful.
    In terms of money, the steel ceramic is a far better bet . Worth twice retail, while a 116509 goes for under retail. So much for ‘soaring’ in value. You’d be lucky to make anything at all.
    But, as I said, it’s lovely. That’s what matters.

Craftsman
    I've bought and sold loads of watches over the years and in general, I don't have any regrets. The only regret I do have is selling a CWC SBS for about £250 a few years ago. They've gone up in value quite a bit but that isn't why I regret it. It's mainly because they've now priced themselves above what I would pay for one.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Master
    If I listed them all, you'd find me in a dark corner of the bedroom crying my eyes out.
    One I do really miss was my Jaeger Gran Sport Reverso, gobbled up for £1,800 on SC.
    Why, oh why.

Sent from my Nokia 3.1 using TZ-UK mobile app

Been a few, a fair number because I convinced myself that they were ‘too small’ for my wrist... and maybe they were?

I’m not sure that was a thing for me before I joined the forum... but it is now. I’m pretty sure that seed was planted here?

Master
    My Cartier roadster chrono is much missed, as is my polar dial TT yachtmaster.
    To be honest I actually miss every watch I have ever sold, but the two above are the most regretted.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jimmer42 View Post
    I also regret selling my PO 2500... I have kept the rubber straps for 5 years in the expectation of finally caving in and getting another some day.

I also miss my Skyfall and IWC Mk XVI and sometimes ponder buying replacements but, as others have said, I'm sure I would only remember why I sold them in the first place.

Way too many to list.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57