closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many watches in total?

How many watches in total?

Unable to sleep the other night, I added up all the watches I’ve owned since I joined TZ-UK. It occurred to me that this might be an interesting thread - albeit a little scary for some, I suspect!

So this is the question... how many watches have you owned in total since joining the forum? We need the exact number, I think.

My total came to 57, by the way.

Simon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dangerous question Simon. I remember the other year starting a thread and I think I'd flipped 44 or something like that in a 12 month period. Over 5 years I'm guessing 150+ but it could be more, I gave up counting or even thinking about how much money has been wasted in that time.

Master
    I joined this forum in 2015 and owned 3 watches. I have since bought 5 Rolex and have no intention of selling any of them and I certainly won't be buying any more. 8 watches is more than enough for any sane person.

I will be looking to buy a solid gold pocket watch when I return to the UK after this virus thing is over.

Blog Entries
    From my blog, it would appear I've had around 70...

... & that doesn't count them all...only the ones that 'rested awhile' ...

z
    Last edited by zelig; 16th May 2020 at 14:54.

Master
    Well that’s somewhat a painful question but also a happy ending for me. I did have around the 50 mark with a mixture of brands like Rolex/Hamilton/squale/seiko/Chris ward/steinhart and quite a few tags
    Then divorce =massive expense
    Only had a couple of tags left, up to 6 time pieces no and that’s it but I’m happy with the ones I have, couple have no value but sentimental (dads old smiths and a sekonda) and my remaining tag heuer watches
    Couple I really miss
    Seiko skx007
    Squale blandford diver
    But that’s it.. I’m hoping to get a halios seaforth at some point and the dreamer in me wants another planet ocean but miles of that at the moment, really thought I’d miss my polar explorer but I seem rather indifferent to them nowadays

Just counted - 44 over the last 8 years with the majority in the last 3 years, even worst- since lockdown 5!!!

Positively identified 140 and will say maybe 30 more I can't recall exactly. So I'll call it circa. 170 all-in, less than expected which is probably a good thing!
    Last edited by GraniteQuarry; 17th May 2020 at 19:14.

Master
    When I joined TZ, I owned 5 watches. Now I have 14 including 2 of those original 5.

I have sold 3 of the original 5 and an additional 4 which I have bought and sold during my membership.

Makes a total of 21 I think so not too bad in 6 years!

Im around the 75 mark, have them all over the place, but im working on reducing

Blog Entries
    Over 100 don’t want to think about the costs involved

37 to date, just 1 "sold" (gave to a mate who was out of work and had been looking for a watch for his lad's birthday), with the bug starting to bite just 6 years ago, and the problem being out-of-hand for about a year...

I *really* need to sell some stuff, but don't want to end up labelled as a "dealer"...

around 10 I think. I am afraid to count.

Master
    Joined in February 2013 and I calculate that I’ve owned as many as 72. I now own four: One Tag Heuer, one Bremont, one Seiko and one Tudor.
    Last edited by seabiscuit; 16th May 2020 at 20:10. Reason: Remembered another one.

I’m on 11!

Think I joined in 2004, with probably 6 watches, today I have 24 (2 cases) and flipped about 4.

BUBI 0_0

A rough listing of mine, aided by Flickr, Imgur and my mobile camera roll has my total at 84, probably a few forgotten about but I'll declare at 84.

It's an odd hobby this, I think there are only a few I wouldn't have again but deep down I don't really lust after having any of them back.

Currently got 17, with number 18 due to arrive in a couple of months but who knows what will happen between times.

Started the year trying to reduce down to ten and made good inroads but the apocalypse has seen 6 additions.
    Last edited by Papa Hotel; 16th May 2020 at 17:05.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    Started the year trying to reduce down to ten and made good inroads but the apocalypse has seen 6 additions.
    This is my Covid-19 story too - I started the year on 18, wanting to get down to around 13... I now have 20

Simon

Probably over 200. If I knew then what I know now...

Since 2009 somewhere in the region of 500 max but I am now pretty much in control and i'm down to about 80 plus a few "projects", collected mainly Seiko but also Citizen, Casio, Rolex and Omega and all I really desire now is either a DS, X33 or BB58 nothing else is really calling.

I took this pic in 2014, It was about half of what I had at the time but the rest were non runners that I used for scavenging parts for other watches!

I don't think i've ever sold any but traded a few, I've actually bought quite a few since!!

My son was having a carboot some years as he was skint so I sorted him around a hundred Qtz watches, Mostly they needed new batteries, I told him to ask 50p each!

He sold the lot for ten quid!

John

Craftsman
    Interesting questions, especially for the long standing members.

Think I've purchased 8 since I joined the forum, two of which have been sold as I didn't get on with them and another will be up for the chop soon.

Craftsman
    I thought I had too many, with about 20. Most of mine are hand me downs but I have a few nicer watches.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Probably over 200. If I knew then what I know now...
    I thought yours would be up there, Tony! I still don’t see how you’re going to get down to (3, was it?!) to take to the Canaries with you!

Simon

Grand Master
    Around 25-30 is my number. It depends whether I count the ‘project watches’ bought as fixer uppers or not, or whether I include the 1946 gold Helvetia bought in 1994 that marked the start of my watch journey. I never wear it but I keep it purely out of sentiment. There’s also a 70s Oris I never wear.......I’d forgotten about that one!

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Dangerous question Simon. I remember the other year starting a thread and I think I'd flipped 44 or something like that in a 12 month period. Over 5 years I'm guessing 150+ but it could be more, I gave up counting or even thinking about how much money has been wasted in that time.
    Sure, but you’re a reformed character these days, arent you Ken ?

Simon

Since joining in 2009 I have owned just under 60. Numbers are currently 38 although I am hoping to get this down to nearer 30 by the end of the year.

I guess as the OP I should aim for accuracy, so my count is actually 58 not 57 - I forgot my Bulova grey Lobster...

Simon

Journeyman
    It’s funny, I was thinking the exact same thing the other day. In my life I have bought 21 watches.

5 x Rolex
    4 x Casio
    2 x Omega
    2 x Adidas
    2 x Seiko
    1 x AP
    1 x IWC
    1 x GP
    1 x Panerai
    1 x Swatch
    1 x Invicta

I have 3 in the current collection.
    Last edited by Iain73; 16th May 2020 at 19:16. Reason: Can’t count ��

Craftsman
    Been a member for almost three years. At the time of joining I had four pieces. Since being here I have sold two (one to this forum) and bought twelve (four from this forum) -- ergo, I have fourteen.
    Also in those three years, my quartz count has gone from 50% to 7% -- and my geographic source has changed from 75% Swiss marques to 71% German.

Much of those changes was influenced by learning from a select few here.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    I guess as the OP I should aim for accuracy, so my count is actually 58 not 57 - I forgot my Bulova grey Lobster...

Simon
    Don’t forget the Omega Dynamic, that’s the best example I’ve seen........and I’ve seen a few

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    I thought yours would be up there, Tony! I still don’t see how you’re going to get down to (3, was it?!) to take to the Canaries with you!

Simon
    You're not wrong there, Simon... probably best to make it.... errr, 5?

Anyway, a little reckoning makes it 234, of which 13 are owned at present. Many of them have been owned for quite a while, and a few of the newer ones would be quite difficult to let go. No idea how I'll do it, frankly.

Craftsman
    8 Rolex , first one 20 years ago, last one bought was this year.
    1 Panerai 13 years ago
    1 Tag.about 25 years ago.

I did px a Panerai 292 for a Rhodium dial YM a few years back , apart from that I’ve sold none .

Master
    Does it count since I joined TZ-UK or since madness began? I often buy sell and trade.

In first case I think around 100..

Since the madness started around 1200-1300 that I remember.

I came here for advice when I wanted to get a watch for work (firefighter) so I could stop wearing my Datejust there, which I'd been doing for 20yrs. I don't usually sell my watches, they all get worn in rotation. Over the years however I did sell 3 Seikos (SKX 007, 6309-7040, issued quartz chrono), 2 Sinns (UX AND 656)to make way for Damaskos and a Damasko DC67. I have a dozen watches now.
    F.T.F.A.

Joined 2013

Including buying back ones Ive sold I make it 85

Current on 3

I posted about this nearly three years ago and the total then was around 70.

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...ection-History

I’ve had a fair few come and go since then and stopped keeping records but it must be at least 100 by now.

I would guess I have owned about 80 watches however I still own 65 plus projects I have posted before about wearing a different watch everyday since my lockdown began
    Yesterday I got to the last watch...
    It’s been a useful process as I now know what I like and want to keep and have identified a few that can go.

Master
    In four years prior to joining TZ-UK I had bought nine and kept seven of those.

In the almost-four years since joining I have bought 54 and sold about that many.

It’s quite shocking to see those numbers. Even worse if I were to tally my losses from flipping!

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

I make it 62 for me but that’s assuming that I haven’t forgotten any.

Blog Entries
    I can’t give an exact number as I don’t keep a record. I guess I could check how many watch sales posts I’ve done - but I’ve bought many outside of the forum (ADs / Dealers etc) and sold outside the forum to so this won’t work.

Ive been here since 2008 but throughput rate is variable.

I give up. 42?

I’ve now got 8 but one is going out the door on Monday.

Craftsman
    At 19 that have passed through my hands, with a current collection of 4 watches. I ended up doing a spreadsheet to track what I've had, and note reasons why I sold them!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I don't even want to think about it.
    Over 100.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Don’t forget the Omega Dynamic, that’s the best example I’ve seen........and I’ve seen a few
    When I joined the forum, Paul, the Omega was the only watch I owned. Over 15 years later and its still with me. It looks and runs a lot better now than it did back then - a real tribute to your skills and expertise.

Simon

Banned
    Around 200 since 2011. All I wanted was a new watch for my 30th...

Craftsman
    8 in total, having not sold any.

Bikes is a completely different story, I’ve had many more of them, with 7 still in the collection.

Calling Ryan.........

Master
    7 in total. Rolex 5,Breitling 1 and Seiko 1. Too many to be honest.

I’ve owned 19 in total. Currently have 7, with another incoming (should have been here on Friday but it’s somewhere in the Royal Mail network!). Makes a nice round 20 so far.

I currently have 45, I did at one point have over 80 but realised there were some I hadn't looked at in months and it was getting a bit ridiculous.

I've not been a member here for that long but in that time I've sold 37, most of them went on eBay when they had their £1 selling fee offer. The rest were sold here on SC. The eBay sales were for the most part the cheaper models which I'd bought from eBay over the years (Saturday night beer purchases mostly). Some watches have gained in value but as they are the ones I've kept I can hardly say I've made money on them.

I keep reminding my wife that there are much more expensive hobbies out there. I suspect she's not convinced

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves

Since joining here about 14 years ago, well over 100 but have been a regular flipper and currently have 6