closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Incorrectly addressed parcel

Craftsman

Incorrectly addressed parcel

I sent a parcel to a company and although the address itself is correct there was no company name on the parcel. According to the tracking it is now supposed to be returned to sender (me) but it is currently being stored in a warehouse. I will give Royal Mail a call tomorrow and see if their customer service is open but if not then I have to wait until Monday. In the meantime has this happened to anyone here before and is it possible to update the details so I can address it to a specific company, as I do not want it returned back to me?
    Last edited by Loki324; 15th May 2020 at 22:28.

Craftsman
    The Postie that tried to deliver it will have endorsed it and essentialykilled it off at His office.It could be no where near it now.It will have to be returned to You.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by lew07 View Post
    The Postie that tried to deliver it will have endorsed it and essentialykilled it off at His office.It could be no where near it now.It will have to be returned to You.
    This is not good news. I will call Royal Mail first thing tomorrow. I failed to mention that the parcel is being sent to Germany and is currently being stored in the final parcel centre, hopefully I can stop it being returned to the UK.

Master
    RM wont be able to assist if its in Germany- maybe GLS wont deliver an item without an addressee and I doubt weather they will add one - its not very ethical

Master
    Blog Entries
    I sent a watch to Germany (full address) via Royal Mail a few years ago. It wasn't delivered - I forget how long it took (a couple of weeks I think) before it eventually arrived back at my house.

And GLS over here are pretty woeful...
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    And GLS over here are pretty woeful...
    Well Rico has gone now

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    RM wont be able to assist if its in Germany- maybe GLS wont deliver an item without an addressee and I doubt weather they will add one - its not very ethical
    It's not that they won't deliver it - they did deliver it on the day. The only problem was that the building that it got delivered to contained other companies as well so the person that received the parcel didn't know who to take it to so they returned it back to GLS. Hopefully it might still work but if not then I'll have to try and send it again.

EDIT: I might just ask the recipient to claim it. That might work since GLS did deliver it the first time round so that would be the easier option.
    Last edited by Loki324; 16th May 2020 at 22:30.

If it’s gone back into the ... owner not known at this address place... it is very very unlikely to be re delivered nor will they be able to find it.

Wait for it to be sent to you. Then send again.

In my experience with mail it is 99% of the time human error. People often do not give enough detail to ensure the correct individual in a multi use building is the recipient. Also returns are not a priority so it could be a long time until you get it back.
    Last edited by canuck; 16th May 2020 at 23:13.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    If it’s gone back into the ... owner not known at this address place... it is very very unlikely to be re delivered nor will they be able to find it.

Wait for it to be sent to you. Then send again.

In my experience with mail it is 99% of the time human error. People often do not give enough detail to ensure the correct individual in a multi use building is the recipient. Also returns are not a priority so it could be a long time until you get it back.
    What's even worse is that I didn't even put a return address on it. Not sure what will happen now but they might just give it back to Royal Mail.

No recipient ??

No return address ??

Best of luck with this.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTigerUK View Post
    No recipient ??

No return address ??

Best of luck with this.
    Yeah, I don't normally put a return address on but I completely regret that now. I do normally put the recipient on though so I don't know why I didn't this time. Think it might have been due to the fact that it's a German address and I was so pre-occupied with spelling the address correctly that I forgot about the recipient in the end.

I don't know if GLS will go that far (I read on Royal Mail's website that they would) but there is a return address inside the parcel.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki324 View Post
    What's even worse is that I didn't even put a return address on it. Not sure what will happen now but they might just give it back to Royal Mail.
    Likely won’t get back to Royal Mail.

If it does however get back but with no return address it will go to Ireland to be kept safe for two years before being destroyed. Don’t ask me why they’re kept for two years I have no idea. If it gets opened the person who does so will be breaking the rules... so unlikely to happen and if by chance it does then that person won’t tell anyone they opened it... although this would be hard to do so without getting caught.
    Last edited by canuck; 18th May 2020 at 04:41.

OP I really hope it works out. But why on earth do you not add a return address to parcels?

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    Likely won’t get back to Royal Mail.

If it does however get back but with no return address it will go to Ireland to be kept safe for two years before being destroyed. Don’t ask me why they’re kept for two years I have no idea. If it gets opened the person who does so will be breaking the rules... so unlikely to happen and if by chance it does then that person won’t tell anyone they opened it... although this would be hard to do so without getting caught.
    ''If the Royal Mail is unable to deliver a item it will be returned to sender, however, there isn't always a return to sender address. So it is then passed on to the National Return Centre in Belfast. They say : "As there's no return address, we'll open the item to try and find a sender's address''.27 Apr 2019

How long does Royal Mail keep undelivered items?
    If an item is undelivered we'll normally hold on to it for 18 days. However, if there's a customs charge to pay, we'll hold on to it for 21 days.

This would be my first port of call.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    So, incorrect delivery address, no return details. What exactly do you expect them to do for you................Chalk it up to experience.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    ''If the Royal Mail is unable to deliver a item it will be returned to sender, however, there isn't always a return to sender address. So it is then passed on to the National Return Centre in Belfast. They say : "As there's no return address, we'll open the item to try and find a sender's address''.27 Apr 2019

How long does Royal Mail keep undelivered items?
    If an item is undelivered we'll normally hold on to it for 18 days. However, if there's a customs charge to pay, we'll hold on to it for 21 days.

This would be my first port of call.
    I just spoke to Royal Mail on the phone and they confirmed what is said here. The parcel (even with no return address) will be sent back to the UK (Belfast) and at that point they will open the parcel to find any sort of personal details containing an address. Once found they will then send the parcel back to that address but this whole process could take a while. I have to say I feel a lot better after hearing that. Let's just hope it all works out in the end.

Yes, I know I'm an idiot for not putting the addressee and return address on the parcel. I normally do this but I don't know why I didn't do it this time round. After this experience I won't forget to put this ever again.
    Last edited by Loki324; 18th May 2020 at 12:54.

I just spoke to Royal Mail on the phone and they confirmed what is said here. The parcel (even with no return address) will be sent back to the UK (Belfast) and at that point they will open the parcel to find any sort of personal details containing an address. Once found they will then send the parcel back to that address but this whole process could take a while. I have to say I feel a lot better after hearing that. Let's just hope it all works out in the end.
    Good lad - we all make mistakes.

So I assume your details are within the parcel itself?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
    So I assume your details are within the parcel itself?
    Yes, the product needed to be sent back to the manufacturer for replacement as it is faulty. There is an RMA form inside containing all of my personal information (name, address, mobile phone no., email address).

Yes, the product needed to be sent back to the manufacturer for replacement as it is faulty. There is an RMA form inside containing all of my personal information (name, address, mobile phone no., email address).
    Hopefully we'll get to hear the happy result.

That's good news, just a case of waiting now then.

Craftsman
    Well...it turns out I don't need to wait at all. The recipient contacted GLS in time and managed to prevent the parcel from being sent back to me. It is being delivered to them tomorrow. Result!

Well...it turns out I don't need to wait at all. The recipient contacted GLS in time and managed to prevent the parcel from being sent back to me. It is being delivered to them tomorrow. Result!
    Even better news!

Master
    That's excellent news.

Master
    All is well
    A lesson to be learnt- the amount of SD I see with no return address