closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Bmw 640d advice please

Blog Entries

Bmw 640d advice please

Looking to purchase a BMW 640D shortly, looking for any advice previous owners may have.
    I fancy the drop top but do like the couple, budget is up to £20k
    Cheers

Master
    Have you got children? I struggled with the convertible getting kids in the back though the 650 was simply amazing to listen to:)

Master
    Can’t comment on the 2 door or convertible, but I had a 4 door gran coupe for 3 years and loved it. Great to drive, very smooth and trouble free. Two teenage boys at the time and adequate room.

A good friend of mine has one, he loves it, rear headroom is a issue for his 6ft son though.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Craftsman
    I had a 640D Gran Coupe for 4 years and loved it. Super smooth to drive with a good bit of grunt as well. Had the Sport plus package (think that's what it's called) as well.

The central console goes all the way from the front to the back on the Gran Coupe so the person in the middle at the back may have to sit slightly awkwardly.

Finally to add that I think its been discontinued by BMW, not sure that makes any different but just FYI.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RajLondon View Post
    The central console goes all the way from the front to the back on the Gran Coupe so the person in the middle at the back may have to sit slightly awkwardly.
    Does my head in that! Can’t get in one side and shuffle over to the other.

Master
    3 litre diesel engine

no idea why it's called a 640 - OK it has twin turbos

is there anymore interior space than a 4 series?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BillN View Post
    3 litre diesel engine

BMW nomenclature lost sync with engine size quite some time ago - sometime in the late 90s/early 00s iirc.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by vagabond View Post
    BMW nomenclature lost sync with engine size quite some time ago - sometime in the late 90s/early 00s iirc.
    I know I have a 335

I had a new one a couple of years age, lovely looking thing, Tanzanite blue, beige interior , kept making a clonking noise, dealer couldn’t fix it, they dicked me about like you wouldn’t believe, I sued them and got my money back, well nearly, I got BMW vouchers, got an M4CP, didn’t like it kangerooing down the road in sport plus so sold it.

So if you buy a BMW make sure all the built in faults have been fixed
    Last edited by adrianw; 15th May 2020 at 21:24.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    I had a new one a couple of years age, lovely looking thing, Tanzanite blue, beige interior , kept making a clonking noise, dealer couldn’t fix it, they dicked me about like you wouldn’t believe, I sued them and got my money back, well nearly, I got BMW vouchers, got an M4CP, didn’t like it kangerooing down the road in sport plus so sold it.

So if you buy a BMW make sure all the built in faults have been fixed
    but their showrooms are magnificent full of spotless cars

but their showrooms are magnificent full of spotless cars
    The irony was I bought it impulsively because I loved the colour

Master
    The irony was I bought it impulsively because I loved the colour
    I cannot blame anyone after a visit to a BMW Showroom - every time I visit for a service or to buy the odd bit they nearly "have me" - I nearly bought an M4 the last time and I only went in for some locking wheel nuts!!

but a 640D - lovely engine, lovely car, wonderful gearbox, BUT only worth 50% of Retail when between 1 and 2 years old??

Master
    3 litre diesel engine

Is that the same 3l diesel as in the old 330D. The 640D has significantly more BHP. Wondered if it was tuned up or a different engine altogether.

The 6 is massive when you get close to one so I would hope it was bigger inside.

Mercedes CL 63 AMG is the correct answer.

or if you really want a diesel and a drop top, then a E350 convertible.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    Mercedes CL 63 AMG is the correct answer.

or if you really want a diesel and a drop top, then a E350 convertible.
    If you spend a decent amount of time in a Mercedes, you realise how bad BMWs are

I loved driving a 640d coupe over a weekend - effortless. Nice large comfy drivers seat, and at 6 foot and a bit I actually fitted in the back seat- although only tried the rear when it was stationary and don’t think I’d enjoy anything other that a very short trip in there.

- - - Updated - - -

If you spend a decent amount of time in a Mercedes, you realise how bad BMWs are
    Really depends on the year of a Mercedes - they had a shocking period not too long ago with cheap Chrysler interiors etc.
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    I loved driving a 640d coupe over a weekend - effortless. Nice large comfy drivers seat, and at 6 foot and a bit I actually fitted in the back seat- although only tried the rear when it was stationary and don’t think I’d enjoy anything other that a very short trip in there.

Really depends on the year of a Mercedes - they had a shocking period not too long ago with cheap Chrysler interiors etc.
    Some are still pants TBH.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Blog Entries
    My colleague bought a 15plate m sport Convertible with low mileage 3 months ago and loves it , having driven it I felt it was deceptively progressive in its speed but not out and out shove you in your seat, definitely a GT car with a strong power band but not what I’d expected.
    His has pro nav, m sport plus, HUD and adaptive headlights which are truly brilliant

Blog Entries
    Had the 640d GC, special order estoril blue / ivory leather - never received so many compliments - loved the car, but, wrong engine in the right body, hence got the 640i GC, loved it even more, but regretted the colour - black sapphire/ivory - then the 650i GC in Moonstone/Ivory - top notch motoring in every respect, then a 540i xdrive - am now in the X3 M40i (a cracking engine !) and waiting for the right spec 850 or 840i GC to appear....
    Have considered Audis and Mercs, don't match.... BMW retains ''the ultimate driving machine'' IMHO
    Enjoy, if you're happy with the 'd' (huge torque is what counts !) then you will not regret it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Glover View Post
    ''the ultimate driving machine''
    Compared to what? You can get a Maclaren 650S for the same money as an 8 series

The reason that BMWs depreciate so fast, and there are so many pre registered cars in dealerships at down to 50% off list is that they are massively over priced to start with, the current situation is only going to make this worse for all makes of cars.

In December I was offered an M5cp with 10 miles on the clock for 45k,
    Last edited by adrianw; 16th May 2020 at 10:17.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for all the comments so far, I appreciate the depreciation hence hoping to source one that's done the bulk of it.
    No kids all over 17 with their own cars.
    The 640D is cheaper to tax, insure & does more MPG than my Sons Focus ST!

Master
    Blimey! Was that a main dealer?

Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    Yes, in Cambridge

Blog Entries
    Please can you qualify that statement ?

In December most dealers were offering huge end of year discounts, to keep up their allocations - neighbour bought an E class at about half price with 2500-3000 miles on the clock
    The pricing I agree is ridiculous, and does not do the brands many favours !
    A 50-60% discount on a pre reg M5 doesn't sound like Barons...

McLarens, well.... there are a few stories going about that product, one in particular sticks in my mind, father and son had 1 each, were treated like aliens with all the headaches !

It took me 6 BMWs to come to that conclusion. I will never buy another.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Bmw 640d advice please

Car Giant has 11 640Ds in stock.

Under £23k buys you a 67 plate with <30k miles on the clock. A lot of car for very little money.

https://www.cargiant.co.uk/search/bmw/640d
    Last edited by noTAGlove; 16th May 2020 at 15:57.

Quote Originally Posted by ingenioren View Post
    Please can you qualify that statement ?

In December most dealers were offering huge end of year discounts, to keep up their allocations - neighbour bought an E class at about half price with 2500-3000 miles on the clock
    The pricing I agree is ridiculous, and does not do the brands many favours !
    A 50-60% discount on a pre reg M5 doesn't sound like Barons...

McLarens, well.... there are a few stories going about that product, one in particular sticks in my mind, father and son had 1 each, were treated like aliens with all the headaches !

I owned numerous BMW (from new and secondhand) the best was 325ci Sport, the worse was 525D Msport which managed to leave me stranded on the side of the road 3 times. I had problems with fuel systems, brakes, interior trim, light and windscreen wipers. All the cars gobbled up front tires (no idea why) and each car had orange peel paint.

The 325ci sport was bought new by me (in 2000) and I put over 130k on it, and other than tires, was a joy to own. Alas every BMW I had after that gradually got worse in build quality.

7 year ago I had had enough and after lots of looking, bought a 2011 E350 AMG spec Convertible and it is brilliant. Everything works, it has all the toys, the paint is flawless, 265bhp so has plenty of grunt, no leaks on the hood and although not quite as sharp as the 325 in the handling department, offers a much nicer and relaxed driving experience. Best of all I can get 45mpg if I drive like Miss Daisy. The only problem I have had was to replace a glow plug last year.

I normally replace my cars after 3 years, but I haven’t this time simply because I would just replace the E350 with another E350.

I agree some Mercedes are horrible (like the old M Class For example), but these were made in the USA, so simply buy a Mercedes made in Germany.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Blog Entries
    I owned numerous BMW (from new and secondhand) the best was 325ci Sport, the worse was 525D Msport which managed to leave me stranded on the side of the road 3 times. I had problems with fuel systems, brakes, interior trim, light and windscreen wipers. All the cars gobbled up front tires (no idea why) and each car had orange peel paint.

The 325ci sport was bought new by me (in 2000) and I put over 130k on it, and other than tires, was a joy to own. Alas every BMW I had after that gradually got worse in build quality.

7 year ago I had had enough and after lots of looking, bought a 2011 E350 AMG spec Convertible and it is brilliant. Everything works, it has all the toys, the paint is flawless, 265bhp so has plenty of grunt, no leaks on the hood and although not quite as sharp as the 325 in the handling department, offers a much nicer and relaxed driving experience. Best of all I can get 45mpg if I drive like Miss Daisy. The only problem I have had was to replace a glow plug last year.

I normally replace my cars after 3 years, but I haven’t this time simply because I would just replace the E350 with another E350.

I agree some Mercedes are horrible (like the old M Class For example), but these were made in the USA, so simply buy a Mercedes made in Germany.
    Must then state it baffles me why BMW have so many repeat customers (like myself), albeit I never hang on to them for much longer han 12-18 months !
    In fact J D Power doesn't have a great deal of praise re BMW/MB/Audi....
    Overrated ? Possibly, but I love'em - might go for an M3 whilst waiting for a sensibly prices 850i xdrive :-)
    Happy days

Master
    Blog Entries
    I have owned one for 2 years now, it's a 2016 640d grande coupe. I've come from having 2 litre diesel company cars for years, this was a significant upgrade. I still love the car it's very quick, very solid, good on the fuel, looks great and is fully loaded. The specs on these really vary and it wasnt that much extra when I bought mine it get the loaded one. The must have on mine is the surround view cameras to give the top down parking view, it's a wide long car so I can imagine without it would be a challenge.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Compared to what? You can get a Maclaren 650S for the same money as an 8 series

The reason that BMWs depreciate so fast, and there are so many pre registered cars in dealerships at down to 50% off list is that they are massively over priced to start with, the current situation is only going to make this worse for all makes of cars.

I didn’t post that quote Adrian, that was posted in the comment preceding mine thank you.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    Yes, in Cambridge
    Amazing deal! So what would that have been - 60% of list?

Quote Originally Posted by ingenioren View Post
    Must then state it baffles me why BMW have so many repeat customers (like myself), albeit I never hang on to them for much longer han 12-18 months !
    In fact J D Power doesn't have a great deal of praise re BMW/MB/Audi....
    Overrated ? Possibly, but I love'em - might go for an M3 whilst waiting for a sensibly prices 850i xdrive :-)
    Happy days
    Blind brand loyalty might be the reason, however if you don’t try alternatives then you never will know. I bought my wife a Lexus NX300 last year and was simply blown away by the quality of car even compared with my Mercedes. If only they didn’t use the CVT gearbox I would seriously consider one.

The M3 is lovely bit of kit, but what’s the point unless you intend to track it, in which case there are better alternative. As for the old 600 and new 800 series - all I ever think when I see them is “barge” and if you want a barge then the Mercedes CL or the Porsche Panamerica is a better option in my book.

But horses for courses.

Friedrich Nietzsche

I bought my wife a Lexus NX300 last year and was simply blown away by the quality of car even compared with my Mercedes. If only they didn't use the CVT gearbox I would seriously consider one.
    So many good and great cars are ruined by CVT gearboxes. The sooner they're gone the better.

Saw a M6 gran coupe 4 door the other day. Looks brilliant. Sounded great as well

RVs for cars like this (second/sports cars) generally are slipping hard. RVs for diesels are in freefall. My advice would be look at something else, unless you can afford to take the hit when you flip it down the line, in which case go for it.

Master
    - - - Updated - - -

I have had numerous 640d in all for the variants ( company cars)

The GC is the pick of the Bunch, versatile, better balance and for me just drives better and at potentially 50mpg.

The convertible can be a real head turner in the right colour and on a summers day, beautiful to drive. Hoods can be noisy but you would expect that with a soft top.

I would highly recommend purchasing from a main dealer - 1 year warranty minimum and some fair back up if things do go wrong.