closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Haveston canvas straps - long term durability test

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    They both look good, particularly the Flight Deck as the blue goes well with a white dial. I like mine on my Damasko DA37.

F.T.F.A.

Craftsman
    I can't compete with the quality of the photography in this thread but here's my rather sad attempt!

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    They both look good, particularly the Flight Deck as the blue goes well with a white dial. I like mine on my Damasko DA37.

I do agree it suits the white dial.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Haveston Flight Deck is the perfect colour and look for the Blue Hydroconquest.

Spot on.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by sickie View Post
    Haveston Flight Deck is the perfect colour and look for the Blue Hydroconquest. Spot on.

Looks like a very good match. It looks like you have an A12 nestling behind it. The A12 doesn't fade gracefully like the other hues, and when mine got to this stage after numerous washes I decided to try dying it. If yours goes this way look back to posts #119,#121,#125,#126 and #145 to see what I used and the result.
    Last edited by magirus; 3rd November 2021 at 09:28.
    F.T.F.A.

You are correct about the A12. I have a few with one I wear a lot for work.
    I'll take you're tip about the dying them as the outcome look's very good indeed.

They are great straps once they've been worn in.

Edit : ordered the dye from Amazon

Last edited by sickie; 3rd November 2021 at 09:36.

You are correct about the A12. I have a few with one I wear a lot for work.
    I'll take you're tip about the dying them as the outcome look's very good indeed.

They are great straps once they've been worn in.

Edit : ordered the dye from Amazon

I used the whole lot of the dye, and the A12 remains jet black after several washes. However I had to rinse it numerous times at the end of the dyeing process until the water ran clear, so I think if I did it again I'd try 1/4 or 1/3 of the due and see how that goes. You can always use the rest in one go if not happy with the result. I look forward to seeing how it goes!
    F.T.F.A.

I'll try it at the weekend and post the results here. Before and after

Well.... Here is my ultimate failure of a dyed strap.

To me it's not much different to what it was before my wreck of an attempt.

Well.... Here is my ultimate failure of a dyed strap.

To me it's not much different to what it was before my wreck of an attempt.

How much of the dye did you use and how long did you leave it before rinsing?
    F.T.F.A.

I used half of the packet and admittedly only half an hour but it looked so dark before it dried out lol.

I'll try again with the other half for an hour.

I used half of the packet and admittedly only half an hour but it looked so dark before it dried out lol.

I'll try again with the other half for an hour.

Make it a lot more concentrated than the instructions suggest, that's what I did.
    F.T.F.A.

I'll give that a go in the next couple of days

My 20mm A12 worn on the DC56 got very sweaty and damp yesterday under a fleece jacket on a longish walk. Yet another wash and still as black as tar, not just on the front and back faces, but on the edges where the fading showed first pre dyeing. On the strength of this I think I'll order an 18mm and a 22mm for the PRS-68 and Voyager. Once they fade enough I'll chuck all three in a max strength full packet dye. The A12 still looks like this, any apparent lightness on the strap is just highlights, not fading . . .

Last edited by magirus; 18th November 2021 at 14:37.
    F.T.F.A.

I haven't worn my Voyager much lately, and when I had my PRS-68 on for a few days this week I realised they both need a black strap. Having been under the weather for nearly 2 weeks now I've not been out to the pub, so the money I "saved" was put to good use. A pair of A12s in 22mm and 18mm was duly ordered. The 20mm example I dyed a while ago actually looks a deeper black with all three in the hand, so there'll doubtless be a multi dye-in at some future point. It'll be interesting to see how the undyed straps wear and fade in comparison to the dyed example.

F.T.F.A.

The 22mm A12 has had it's first wash so while it's airing the Voyager has gone on to something a little lighter, the M-1944C which is fading nicely. Feels buttery soft after wearing a new one for a few days, although this will soon be raxxed in . . .

Last edited by magirus; 15th December 2021 at 00:19.
    F.T.F.A.

I've recently been lucky enough to pick up a 5004 BP, and this Haveston canvas is (to my eyes) perfect for it. I was worried that it would sit too high, but I think it's still thinner than most 7750 chronographs! The springbars are fat 22mm Seiko items, and the strap is snug, but it works!

(At least, I think it works!)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Qatar-wol View Post
    I've recently been lucky enough to pick up a 5004 BP, and this Haveston canvas is (to my eyes) perfect for it. I was worried that it would sit too high, but I think it's still thinner than most 7750 chronographs! The springbars are fat 22mm Seiko items, and the strap is snug, but it works!

(At least, I think it works!)
    Looks great. I'm thinking of getting the same colour as I think it would look good on the CWC 83 diver.

Still looking good!

Quote Originally Posted by gerrudd View Post
    Looks great. I'm thinking of getting the same colour as I think it would look good on the CWC 83 diver.
    What colour is it?
    "Owning one is almost as satisfying as making one." ~ Rolex 1973

Took a bit of effort (curved bars installed over the strap) due to the hooded lugs, but I'm pretty happy with how it works on this Steeldive.

Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Postie called earlier. I like it when Postie calls. I ordered a 20mm M-1918C with metal keepers yesterday at 13:38 and it was handed to me by said Postie at 08:58 today (Saturday), good service in my book. I got as a spare for the future as the metal keeper versions are being phased out. I now have canvas keeper versions in all 3 sizes I need, 18, 20 and 22mm, and I'll be wearing these exclusively for a while to see how the canvas keepers fare. This is because the fixed canvas keeper on the 18mm Bakelite-F fitted to the Everest in the picture below had a slight problem with the seam coming away (out of sight usually) where the free end of the strap passes through. I simply put a couple of stiches in loosely from the inside, with a needle on each end of the thread, think of 2 staples going from inside to out, and put some Gorilla superglue in then pulled the stitches through tightly. Once the glue had set I snipped off the loose ends of the threads, an invisible repair. The first picture shows the 5 watches out of my 12 that are worn in frequent rotation, canvas keepers ready to go. The 4 watch roll is perfect for this, 1 out, 4 put away. The second is to illustrate the fading of the M-1918C, today's arrival at the top, fairly lightly worn in the centre and well worn at the bottom, I don't think this one will fade any more.

Last edited by magirus; 23rd April 2022 at 14:10.
    F.T.F.A.

Just realised that I'll need to take some 600 grit paper to the polished metal on the new M-1918C as it'll be used on my Damaskos and PRS-5 Broadarrow, as I did here .
    F.T.F.A.

The M-1944C in post #173 on the DA37 is now on my DC56 and is being worn there when I fancy that colour until failure.

F.T.F.A.

The 18mm Quarterdeck is fading nicely. I've been wearing it a fair bit on my PRS-68 and 36mm Everest (I know, but I like it!). The unused spare I have ( bought after deciding I liked the colour ) is longer, it has a little more length where the keeper slides and an extra tang hole.

F.T.F.A.

Both the 20mm and 18mm Bakelite F straps are getting some decent wear on them and turning a nice caramel colour. Shown alongside an unworn spare. The stitching around the tang holes on all sizes, colours and ages remain intact, putting to bed my main concern before trying canvas (at least Haveston canvas).

F.T.F.A.

The Bakelite F has been my go to strap for the DC56 lately, now it's fading nicely it contrasts well with the black dial, IMHO. Lovely and soft too . . .

F.T.F.A.

These look ace now they are aging (not that they didn’t before!) and glad they are robust.

I have just picked up an IWC chrono and think one of these would be bob-on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by notenoughwrists View Post
    These look ace now they are aging (not that they didn’t before!) and glad they are robust.

I have just picked up an IWC chrono and think one of these would be bob-on.

That would indeed be a handsome pairing! Check the case/springbar gap as you may need curved bars, quite inexpensive for packs of 10 from Cousins.
    F.T.F.A.

I bought a couple for the prs-40 chrono. Now waiting for the watch.

...packs of 10 from Cousins.

Today's stupid question:

I've been wanting to buy something from Cousins, but they say "by registering with us you are confirming you are purchasing goods for use in your trade".

Do they not run checks? I'd struggle to use their goods in my line of business, as I have an office job with the NHS...

Cheers!

Gavin.

p.s. Lovely straps, Bob. Thank you for the updates!

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    I bought a couple for the prs-40 chrono. Now waiting for the watch.
    I look forward to seeing the straps on that watch, should look good. Which two did you buy?

Quote Originally Posted by Cornholio View Post
    Today's stupid question:

I've been wanting to buy something from Cousins, but they say "by registering with us you are confirming you are purchasing goods for use in your trade".

Do they not run checks? I'd struggle to use their goods in my line of business, as I have an office job with the NHS...

Cheers!

Gavin.

p.s. Lovely straps, Bob. Thank you for the updates!
    IIRC Gavin there was a stage in the registration process where they asked for a company name and I just just entered a spoof title, certainly no checks I was aware of.
    F.T.F.A.

Thank you!

I look forward to seeing the straps on that watch, should look good. Which two did you buy?

A Forecastle and an M-1918C. I am wondering whether to pre-wash them. Probably wait until after the first pics.

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    A Forecastle and an M-1918C. I am wondering whether to pre-wash them. Probably wait until after the first pics.
    They'll both suit it well. Skip the pre-wash and enjoy their pristine lovliness whilst it lasts!
    F.T.F.A.

Is there anything like this that is 2-piece?
    I am trying to avoid adding height to an already tall chrono.

There were sellers on ebay doing canvas straps when I started looking a while ago, but a better bet (quality wise) might be the ones that WatchGecko do.
    F.T.F.A.

Barton Watch Bands Canvas.

Haveston canvas straps - long term durability test

Cheers - will try the Haveston too. It looks brill.

Cheers - will try the Haveston too. It looks brill.

I have a smidge over 7" wrist and find that because of the single pass design of Havestons they don't make my watches sit high, even though my Damaskos are quite slab sided. The canvas seems to sink into the wrist, unlike the traditional Nato design which certainly does make a watch sit higher, because the case and the layer of strap next to it ride on top of the second layer of nylon. Also, once the canvas softens and becomes pliable it "moulds" to the case and the wrist under it. Here's a couple of images to hopefully illustrate what I mean . . . (the perspective makes the Haveston look thicker than it actually is)

F.T.F.A.

Looks good. Thanks.
    I have ordered 2 from Haveston - a couple of colour options - and they are already at home awaiting my return on Tues!

I had to grab a cheap NATO as am away in the Southern Spanish heat at the mo., and killing the IWC canvas and leather thing with seawater and sweat - but very much looking forward to coming home and trying these Havestons.

I checked the Barton 2-piece canvas but they don’t seem to taper, and I would ideally like a 20mm to 18mm taper so I can re-use the IWC buckle.
    Still on the hunt there. Found The Strap Tailor but prices were bonkers!

Also have a NATOSTRETCH from CWC incoming, as an experiment - as could probably put the 18mm IWC clasp on that.

Looks good. Thanks.
    I have ordered 2 from Haveston - a couple of colour options - and they are already at home awaiting my return on Tues!

I had to grab a cheap NATO as am away in the Southern Spanish heat at the mo., and killing the IWC canvas and leather thing with seawater and sweat - but very much looking forward to coming home and trying these Havestons.

I checked the Barton 2-piece canvas but they don’t seem to taper, and I would ideally like a 20mm to 18mm taper so I can re-use the IWC buckle.
    Still on the hunt there. Found The Strap Tailor but prices were bonkers!

Also have a NATOSTRETCH from CWC incoming, as an experiment - as could probably put the 18mm IWC clasp on that.

I hope you enjoy the Havestons, post some pics with them on your watch/es if you can, and also any thoughts/opinions to add to the info here. With heat like this at the moment I'm just using nylon when doing anything strenuous outdoors as canvas soaks up sweat will darken and look unsightly until washed, as you clearly know. Back indoors, then slip on a canvas. Those Strap Tailor 2 piece canvas look lovely, and I'm sure they'll be top quality, but at 6 times the price....... er, no! However if a taper is a necessity then needs must I suppose, or parallel it must be! I'll be interested in your opinion of the CWC stretch strap after you've tried it, I've always wondered if elasticated straps stretch more when wet and become loose. BTW, I don't necessarily go Haveston free when using nylon . . . ;-)

Last edited by magirus; 12th August 2022 at 12:42.
    F.T.F.A.

Will do.
    Dreadnought looks great on that 2-tone green!

Always thought I should get one, as our family motto basically translates to Dread Nought (Timor Omnis Abesto)

Woo-hoo!
    Just home, and these are here for me…

The Corp Canvas M-1918C is a looker.
    Colour is almost identical to the lumed parts of the IWC.

Needs some breaking in, but excellent first impressions.

Last edited by notenoughwrists; 17th August 2022 at 00:51.

Then again… the Bakelite is also very complimentary!

Loads of vintage vibe going for it.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Looking good there! The Bakelite F will fade to a shade not unlike the M-1918C starts at, the M-1918C will of course go a lot lighter than that. Further down the rabbit hole the M-1944C awaits . . . ;-)

F.T.F.A.

Oh dear, not so much "wear" but definitely "tear"! This appeared suddenly on my much worn and faded Bakelite F, must have caught it on something when out yomping and clambering about. It's certainly not long term rubbing damage, I'd have noticed . . .

Not to worry, I knew that the old nylon Nato that donated it's buckle to a previous experiment involving my Everest and a 20mm Forecastle would come in handy. Here we go . . .

Et voilà, 10 mins later ready to refit . . .

The previous expertiment was to fit a smaller buckle to a 20mm Forecastle, as the supplied buckle was too large for this size of watch head IMHO . . .

PS. I still found the strap too overpowering for the watch and now wear it on 18mm canvas.

Last edited by magirus; 24th January 2023 at 12:20.
    F.T.F.A.

Thank you for this marvellously informative thread!

I know that washing machines have been mentioned a couple of times. Have you had enough experience to know if the machine does the straps any harm?

Have a 1943 and a 1944 on the way, and don't want to damage them! The website says hand wash only, but maybe a gentle cycle will be ok?

The only canvas strap that I have at the moment is this one from CWC. Have been putting it in a 30 degree wash with with Nikwax, not detergent, and it seems to be surviving. However, it doesn't get worn very often.

Cheers!

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk