closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Haveston canvas straps - long term durability test

Three weeks down the line and apart from several days where I fancied wearing a bracelet for a change (36mm Everest) I've exclusively been wearing the A12 on my DC56 with the odd day on the DA37. I guess it's been washed 2 or 3 times each week, and after the expected initial very slight fading it's still looking nice and black, with a little more fading/wear to the outsides of the strap. As usual the initial few loose threads and fibres have appeared and been removed. It's now going into rotation with the other 3 20mm colours.
    F.T.F.A.

Master
    Well the 1944 arrived and have to say I prefer it to the forecastle. Having said that the forecastle suits the Bulova moonwatch very well. The forecastle has had one wash and as noted by Magirus has softened slightly.

Last edited by bobc; 26th September 2020 at 13:11. Reason: Removing tapatalk blurb

Both looking really good there! Thanks for adding to the thread.
    F.T.F.A.

Well matched combo with a CWC

Quote Originally Posted by acg View Post
    Well matched combo with a CWC
    I'd have to really drag one of these straps under the bars of my CWC to get it on the watch, and that wouldn't do the stitching around the tang holes any good at all. The watch is early 2003/4. I know from taking measurements when choosing springbars for my DA37 and PRS-5 that a difference of less than ½mm can be enough to affect the ease of fitting. It's not a problem as I never intended to use these straps on the CWC, as a sports/holiday watch the daily strap changes and strap washing/drying is easier with standard nylon Natos.
    F.T.F.A.

I've been wearing 20mm lugged watches since the arrival of the A-12, time to get some more wear on the 22mm versions, so a quick wind and set . . .

F.T.F.A.

Big fan of these. 6 weeks in, it's developed slight face

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenVrs View Post
    Big fan of these. 6 weeks in, it's developed slight face

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk
    Just the right amount of blue in the stitching to contrast with the watch, very nice combo there.
    F.T.F.A.

I'll be able to do a meaningful comparison of how one of my early purchases has faded in a couple of days time. Watch this space . . .
    F.T.F.A.

I posted this in the other "delivery" thread, but the content is relevant here as well.

Postie called earlier. The Voyager has been in need of a Forecastle for a while now. After a few months of being worn and washed a lot on the Damaskos the 20mm example shows the fading nicely next to a new one. Faded in a nice lived in way though I think. I'll try and get some better pictures when the light's ok.

PS. Another tin for the collection, ideal storage for a couple of Natos.

PPS. Forgot to say that in the first picture the new strap looks longer, that's because it is by 20mm. The website gives the length now as 275mm not including the buckle.
    Last edited by magirus; 8th October 2020 at 17:24.
    F.T.F.A.

Now that there are 4 x 20mm straps and 3 x 22mm to wear in rotation it'll be interesting to see how long it takes the new 22mm Forecastle to fade as much as the 20mm example has.
    F.T.F.A.

It's been a while since I've posted here, and apart from very occasional days with watches on bracelets (Datejust, 36mm Everest) and leather (Archimede Deck Watch) it's been Damaskos DC56/DA37, Voyager, 40mm Everest and PRS-5 Broadarrow on various Haveston canvas straps. They've all shed any loose threads/fibres, all faded nicely and the stitching around the tang holes and at the pointed end of the straps has held up perfectly. One difference has been that about 3 weeks ago I felt a little under the weather, then a week later tested positive for covid, both unconnected I think), so I ended up just keeping the DC56 on, on the M-1944C, for almost 4 weeks in total apart from sticking the strap on my PRS-5 for a day or 2. It remained unwashed! I just changed watches a couple of days ago and gave the M-1944C a much needed wash, it does look a few shades lighter now!
    F.T.F.A.

Wishing you swift recovery Mr Magirus.
    "Owning one is almost as satisfying as making one." ~ Rolex 1973

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    It's been a while since I've posted here, and apart from very occasional days with watches on bracelets (Datejust, 36mm Everest) and leather (Archimede Deck Watch) it's been Damaskos DC56/DA37, Voyager, 40mm Everest and PRS-5 Broadarrow on various Haveston canvas straps. They've all shed any loose threads/fibres, all faded nicely and the stitching around the tang holes and at the pointed end of the straps has held up perfectly. One difference has been that about 3 weeks ago I felt a little under the weather, then a week later tested positive for covid, both unconnected I think), so I ended up just keeping the DC56 on, on the M-1944C, for almost 4 weeks in total apart from sticking the strap on my PRS-5 for a day or 2. It remained unwashed! I just changed watches a couple of days ago and gave the M-1944C a much needed wash, it does look a few shades lighter now!
    ooooh not washing a strap is definitely a rarity for you . Are you liking the lighter colour?

And hope you're recovering well Bob :)

Thanks gents. I'm a few days past isolating, but slowly getting back to normal. This Haveston canvas fades very nicely, you can still see the original colour in there, but the stitching either doesn't fade or fades very slightly, so a contrast develops.
    F.T.F.A.

Since hearing about these straps and seeing various combinations posted here I have become a fan, I have never really got on with the NATO straps but these are imo a different class altogether. So thanks for showing me the way.
    The new 'Bakelite F' is wonderful.

Hope you are back to top form soon Mr Magirus.

Last edited by brummie64; 29th November 2020 at 17:15.

Quote Originally Posted by brummie64 View Post
    Since hearing about these straps and seeing various combinations posted here I have become a fan, I have never really got on with the NATO straps but these are imo a different class altogether. So thanks for showing me the way.
    The new 'Bakelite F' is wonderful.

Hope you are back to top form soon Mr Magirus.

Thank you for your kind wishes brummie! How timely that you posted a shot of the new Bakelite twixt two colours that I have in both 20mm and 22mm, as I'm mulling over ordering one (20mm for my Damasko DA37) and your picture shows the shade nicely in comparison to the others.
    F.T.F.A.

Craftsman
    Hi Bob

I wondered why I hadn't seen any posts from you. Glad to hear you're on the mend.

Looking forward to meeting for a beer next year

All the best

Alan

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by tvralan View Post
    Hi Bob

I wondered why I hadn't seen any posts from you. Glad to hear you're on the mend.

Looking forward to meeting for a beer next year

All the best

Alan

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Thanks Alan. The next time I see you in the Vic this nightmare should be over, looking forward to it!
    F.T.F.A.

I took delivery of a Bakelite-F this afternoon. This is by far the stiffest out of the box so far, they've all been about the same in this respect apart from the black A-12, which was a lot softer when new and felt thinner, although it's the same thickness when measured with a digital caliper. Looking forward to seeing how this new strap softens and fades with wearing and washing, and also how the canvas keepers fare. The sliding keeper, as I expected, has a fair bit of frictional grip on the strap and I've found it easier to place it where I want it before fastening the strap as it doesn't slide easily as the metal ones do. I posted some pics in my other thread, but here's a couple to compare colours with a well worn and washed M-1918C for anyone reading this thread with a view to buying any of their canvas straps.

Last edited by magirus; 7th December 2020 at 22:16.
    F.T.F.A.

This strap looks darker when being worn than my initial pictures suggest. It's still dark and miserable out, but this shot gives a better idea.

F.T.F.A.

Definitely interested in seeing how you get on with the canvas keepers over time.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

After a couple of days on my wrist 24/7 the Bakelite-F has softened a little, and the sliding keeper can be moved more easily after fastening the strap on. However there's still plenty of friction to keep it in place. It'll be a shame for the colour to fade on this, it's such a lovely shade of brown, but hey ho - regular washing is the game in these parts!
    F.T.F.A.

I tried this on my PRS-5 Broadarrow earlier. It was a little tight between the lugs at the 12 oclock end so I took it out and measured the width with a digital caliper. The PRS-5 lugs are nominally 19mm, but in reality a smidge over this, and the Haveston canvas 20mm straps are a little under 20mm, but this one measured a little over 20mm. I got the strap on but I wasn't happy with the tight fit, however these straps do shrink a little after a few washes and can be stretched when wet, so I'm sure it'll be fitting ok shortly. It's just a combination of the slightly larger width and the stiffness of the strap allowing no give that's the "problem".
    Last edited by magirus; 10th December 2020 at 20:45.
    F.T.F.A.

Well, after a week on the wrist 24/7 time for the Bakelite-F to be washed. Oh my, it goes the most beautiful shade of chocolate when wet, it'll be a shame to dry it! I wonder if it'll fit the PRS-5 better after a wash? Not to worry though, as one comes off, one goes on. I've hardly worn the 22mm Forecastle since it arrived at the beginning of October, so . . .

F.T.F.A.

Must admit I am rather pleased with this combo:

I'm very tempted at the moment to pick up a M-1943C, as I rather like the look of the brighter green (I've already got a M-1944C).
    Dave E

Gonna have to try that brown strap on a Damasko i've got coming in

Meanwhile...

Quote Originally Posted by Dave E View Post
    Must admit I am rather pleased with this combo:

That's fading very nicely. When my M-1918Cs become too light for my taste I intend to dye them. Dylon do an Espresso Brown hand dye which looks like what I'll use, zelig successfully dyed one of his with the black version, which is how I know of the brand. After it's first wash the Bakelite-F shows a little abrasion wear to the edges of the strap where it goes through the keepers, but you need to look for it and it's not noticeable when being worn. Just the portion between the keepers on the bottom part in the picture, a tiny shade lighter and difficult to capture in this light. There's been no loose threads so far on this strap.

F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by acg View Post
    Gonna have to try that brown strap on a Damasko i've got coming in
    Well I wore my Bakelite-F on the DA37 for a while, but next watch change I'm trying it on my DC56 to see how it looks with a black dial. Meanwhile after washing the Forecastle I'm sticking with the Voyager and 22mm but going for a lighter look . . .

Last edited by magirus; 21st December 2020 at 20:15.
    F.T.F.A.

I picked up a couple of M1943Cs as an end of year treat, which arrived this morning (card packaging, no tins). I rather like the brighter green, I think I prefer it to the darker.

(This pic is a bit washed out due to the light here, but I suspect it gives a good view of how the strap will fade.)
    Dave E

Interestingly, I bought both a 22mm and a 20mm, the 22mm is fitted to my Nodus in the post above. When I opened the 20mm up this evening having finished work, it has the canvas (not metal) keepers:

I note that the product page now says "Keeper style may vary", so just be aware you might get the canvas rather than the metal! Having said that, the canvas is a bit stiff to slide initially, but I suspect it'll loosen up OK once the strap starts to break in properly.
    Dave E

Interestingly, I bought both a 22mm and a 20mm, the 22mm is fitted to my Nodus in the post above. When I opened the 20mm up this evening having finished work, it has the canvas (not metal) keepers:

I note that the product page now says "Keeper style may vary", so just be aware you might get the canvas rather than the metal! Having said that, the canvas is a bit stiff to slide initially, but I suspect it'll loosen up OK once the strap starts to break in properly.
    How interesting, yet odd. I was thinking of ordering another M-1944C in case the colour is discontinued, but I think I'd like the choice of keeper type rather than a 50/50 on what gets put in the box. I'll email Alex and ask about giving a choice when ordering, it's quite a difference and I can see his returns for exchange going up. not everyone might want canvas keepers. Too early to give an opinion on their longevity given the short time I've had my Bakelite-F, although I do like the colour , and it's canvas keepers so far.
    F.T.F.A.

I'm curious to hear what the reply is!
    Dave E

If you look on the Haveston site some of the canvas straps have "Keeper style may vary" included in the description now, but not all of them. It seems that like the strap arriving in a tin or a cardboard sleeve it's a "transition" period for the keepers, and at some point they'll all be canvas. Therefore if you order and prefer one or the other style of keeper I've been advised you can ask for a choice, presumably via email before placing an order, I can see no other way to specify this on the site. I can't think that a canvas keeper costs less than a metal one, but if that were the case it must be pennies, and I'd happily pay to have a choice. Not all watches will suit both keeper styles, I know mine don't. Any road up, a little more grist to the mill. I've just switched back to the Bakelite-F much sooner than planned to get some wear on the keepers and see how much I like them, or not, in the longer term. This time it's on my DC56, the colour works well with a black dial I think.
    F.T.F.A.

Just gave the Bakelite-F another wash, it's been worn for 8 days now 24/7! Still not a single thread or fibre worked loose. It's losing the initial stiffness it had, and a little light stretching whilst wet means it'll fit on the PRS-5 Broadarrow now. I'll try and get a picture shortly.
    F.T.F.A.

I've been wearing the one with canvas keepers for the last week (switched it from my white dialled Everest to my PRS-68 last night), and I can confirm that the keepers do loosen up.

I wear my Hav canvas like this:

This means tucking the tail back under itself and then sliding the keeper up once you've done so (with thanks to Walter for the tip on how to do this), and I was concerned that this might be difficult with the canvas keepers due to canvas on canvas friction. It was definitely trickier at first, but after about a week of wear it is now appreciably easier to the point of not being an issue. (I'd still say that the metal keeper is easier, though.)

The other thing I've noticed about the canvas keepers vs. the metal ones is that they're quieter! I don't get the periodic click-clack of the metal ones hitting the desk as I'm using a keyboard. It's not a loud thing and it's not often, but I realised that it does happen and I sort of miss it.

Overall, the canvas keepers seem to be OK. I think I prefer the metal ones slightly, but I don't mind these.
    Dave E

Thanks for the input Dave. You've done well to get that free end tucked under the keeper, given the clearance! I'd keep an eye on the joint of the keeper, there's a good stitch in there and I guess some adhesive but you are putting an unintended stress on it. After all, the single pass with sliding keeper is meant to do away with the tuck under! ;-)
    F.T.F.A.

If you look on the Haveston site some of the canvas straps have "Keeper style may vary" included in the description now, but not all of them. It seems that like the strap arriving in a tin or a cardboard sleeve it's a "transition" period for the keepers, and at some point they'll all be canvas. Therefore if you order and prefer one or the other style of keeper I've been advised you can ask for a choice, presumably via email before placing an order, I can see no other way to specify this on the site. I can't think that a canvas keeper costs less than a metal one, but if that were the case it must be pennies, and I'd happily pay to have a choice. Not all watches will suit both keeper styles, I know mine don't. Any road up, a little more grist to the mill. I've just switched back to the Bakelite-F much sooner than planned to get some wear on the keepers and see how much I like them, or not, in the longer term. This time it's on my DC56, the colour works well with a black dial I think.
    Like you I'd have preferred they offer both - I'm not convinced on the canvas keepers, as it seems from Dave they will loosen over time. Hmm, decision whether I order some now and stock up (I need a few in 20mm....)

Master
    Nice little thread. Ordered a canvas one for my zelos. Looking forward to getting it. I love the single pass design and lack of excess strap.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    Like you I'd have preferred they offer both - I'm not convinced on the canvas keepers, as it seems from Dave they will loosen over time. Hmm, decision whether I order some now and stock up (I need a few in 20mm....)
    To be fair, mine are probably loosening because I'm putting two layers of the canvas through them, not sure they'd change much on their own. Having said that, they don't seem to be under undue strain due to the two layers, so I'm hopeful for their longevity.
    Dave E

Thanks for the input Dave. You've done well to get that free end tucked under the keeper, given the clearance! I'd keep an eye on the joint of the keeper, there's a good stitch in there and I guess some adhesive but you are putting an unintended stress on it. After all, the single pass with sliding keeper is meant to do away with the tuck under! ;-)
    They look to be coping OK, but time will tell!

Interesting point about the sliding keeper, if it's really intended to eliminate the tuck under then it is overestimating average wrist sizes!

My wrist is about 17.5cm, and the 4th hole on these straps is pretty much where I wear them:

At that point, there is quite a lot of tail left over where I've got the keeper:

I'd have to slide the keeper right to the furthest point to capture that, let alone what anyone using the next 3 holes would need!
    Dave E

They look to be coping OK, but time will tell!

Interesting point about the sliding keeper, if it's really intended to eliminate the tuck under then it is overestimating average wrist sizes!

My wrist is about 17.5cm, and the 4th hole on these straps is pretty much where I wear them:

At that point, there is quite a lot of tail left over where I've got the keeper:

I'd have to slide the keeper right to the furthest point to capture that, let alone what anyone using the next 3 holes would need!

I wear mine on the 6th hole. What I do is slide the keeper (canvas or metal) around to where I want it, then I bend the last inch or so at the pointed end into a curl, and then feed it through the keeper. This keeps the free end tight enough against the strap that it sits flush and isn't obtrusive.

At the 6th hole . . .

At the 4th hole . . .

The 4th hole looks to be the limit for wearing the strap without any tuck in. I wonder what the minimum order is for Haveston to make a shorter version? Of course all of the above is personal taste and aesthetics, there's also wrist shape involved as well as size. Also, should a canvas keeper fail and be unrepairable it would be easy to take the metal keeper/s off an old strap (not necessarily Haveston) and fit to the Haveston, I've done this before to convert a shortened Nato to sliding keeper style. After initial reservations I like the canvas keepers, let's hope their durability is up to the job!

PS. The perspective of these pictures, taken with an iPhone, makes the strap overlap look a lot thicker than it actually is.
    Last edited by magirus; 2nd January 2021 at 15:08.
    F.T.F.A.

Blog Entries
    That's fading very nicely. When my M-1918Cs become too light for my taste I intend to dye them. Dylon do an Espresso Brown hand dye which looks like what I'll use, zelig successfully dyed one of his with the black version, which is how I know of the brand. After it's first wash the Bakelite-F shows a little abrasion wear to the edges of the strap where it goes through the keepers, but you need to look for it and it's not noticeable when being worn. Just the portion between the keepers on the bottom part in the picture, a tiny shade lighter and difficult to capture in this light. There's been no loose threads so far on this strap.
    Just as an update - this is the strap I dyed black. It’s often left on the window sill to keep charged & has faded a little as a result ...

... but pleasingly so IMHO.
    So in bright light it looks a very dark shade of green.

z

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    Just as an update - this is the strap I dyed black. It’s often left on the window sill to keep charged & has faded a little as a result ... ... but pleasingly so IMHO.
    So in bright light it looks a very dark shade of green.

z
    Thanks for adding the update z, nice combo there! My A-12, which is of course black, is showing the effects of fading more than the other colours. This is to be expected though, given the contrast between wear points and edges and the much darker colour of this strap. I wonder how the blue shades are faring, anyone? Most of the straps feel the same in terms of softening after wear and washing, but new for new you'd think the A-12 and Bakelite-F were made from different material, the black is so much softer, although the Bakelite is losing it's initial stiffness now.
    F.T.F.A.

Haveston canvas straps - long term durability test

Thanks for the updates Gents, its intreating to see how they are breaking in over time.
    I really like these straps (2nd only to Erika's originals for comfort in my book). they are a very good modern take on the old US Army issued straps.
    The 2 I have are worn in rotation (once a month at most) so they are almost new. Its a shame that they seem to have replace the metal keepers, this is one of the straps best features in my book. However it is historically accurate as some had fabric keeps other metal.
    Anyway a few pictures of mine with their inspiration.

Last edited by Sinnlover; 6th January 2021 at 11:49.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    Thanks for the updates Gents, its intreating to see how they are breaking in over time.
    I really like these straps (2nd only to Erika's originals for comfort in my book). they are a very good modern take on the old US Army issued straps.
    The 2 I have are worn in rotation (once a month at most) so they are almost new. Its a shame that they seem to have replace the metal keepers, this is one of the straps best features in my book. However it is historically accurate as some had fabric keeps other metal.
    Anyway a few pictures of mine with their inspiration.

You do seem to have some very nice pieces!!

Can you tell me what this one is - It's rather nice!!?

Also have you tried a Haveston on a CWC diver? I've just bought one (although, not an issued one) from someone here and wondered if it would fit the fixed bars and indeed does it suit the watch?

Thanks

I've tried mine on my CWC diver (quartz, no date, 2004) and it's a no go. I did get it past the first fixed bar, but had to really drag it through, which if done repeatedly would damage the strap, and do the case and bars no good either. Others have reported success, so clearly the bars aren't in the same position on all releases of the watch.
    F.T.F.A.

Craftsman
    I've tried mine on my CWC diver (quartz, no date, 2004) and it's a no go. I did get it past the first fixed bar, but had to really drag it through, which if done repeatedly would damage the strap, and do the case and bars no good either. Others have reported success, so clearly the bars aren't in the same position on all releases of the watch.
    Thanks for the reply.

I don't suppose you have tried a canvas pull through from Stevos straps on a CWC diver - looks like they might be a tad thinner?

Quote Originally Posted by Eddiex View Post
    You do seem to have some very nice pieces!!

Can you tell me what this one is - It's rather nice!!?

Also have you tried a Haveston on a CWC diver? I've just bought one (although, not an issued one) from someone here and wondered if it would fit the fixed bars and indeed does it suit the watch?

Thanks
    Thank you! The watch pictured is a MKII Cruxible, essentially a modern homage to the A11 from WW2 (there is an original one in the pictures on the jeep bonnet and dash)
    It was the A11 that got me in to watch collecting really so when this was released I had to have one. It’s a good everyday wearer in a modern size (40mm) with good lume.

Re the CWC I have not tried it (all my CWC divers are on grey NATO’s) but CWC / silvermans do sell a canvas strap that will fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddiex View Post
    Thanks for the reply.

I don't suppose you have tried a canvas pull through from Stevos straps on a CWC diver - looks like they might be a tad thinner?
    Sorry, I don't have one of those straps. The stated thickness of these straps on the Haveston website is 1.5mm, but my 5 20mm versions range between 1.69mm and 1.89mm, so an actual 1.5mm might well fit on. These differences may seem small, but changing from 1.8mm springbars to 1.5mm meant the 22mm versions will fit on my 40mm Everest without resorting to curved bars. The 20mm Bakelite-F version is the thinnest of this size, yet is also noticeably stiffer, no two are exactly alike. The measurements were taken using a Mitutoyo digital instrument so I'm confident they are accurate.
    F.T.F.A.