closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Haveston canvas straps - long term durability test

Hybrid View

Haveston canvas straps - long term durability test

First, many thanks to Steve (stefaulkner) for responding to my WTB for a Haveston canvas strap, with this M-1944C. I've been looking at Haveston canvas for quite a while, but I've never found any info regarding their, durability , longevity and resistance to wear, being washed regularly etc etc, that would convince me to buy one (that's any canvas, not just Haveston). I actually prefer the lighter tan colour of the M-1918C, but the darker shade of this strap will show any fading and abrasion better. First impressions are that it has the usual high quality that you would expect from Haveston, precise cutting of the material and stitching. It's a little longer than my four nylon Havestons, but still a very good fit on my 7" wrist due to the sliding keeper. Good quality lightly brushed buckle, just the right size without being too bulky and overpowering the strap. It looks thinner than it's 1.5mm when compared to other Havestons and Eddie's Deluxe, but that's the braided/woven edge of those straps making them look a little thicker. Re thickness, I'd planned to switch the strap between my Voyager and 40mm Everest, but the stitching around the tang holes takes the thickness up to 1.92/1.94mm at these points and it takes a healthy pull to drag the strap through the gap on the Everest. I reckon the stitching here would wear out PDQ so it's only going on the Voyager for now, perhaps these thicker points will flatten with some wear. The material is softer than I imagined it would be, it folded around the bars of the Voyager beautifully, surprisingly more so than the nylon Havestons , and even more so than the TF. So that's it until gets it's first wash, then we'll know how quickly or otherwise it dries, probably after tomorrow's walk.

Last edited by magirus; 16th July 2020 at 21:21.
    F.T.F.A.

They do look really nice those Canvas and like you I've been intrigued with how it puts up with wear. So following with interest!

And once again we see that the Voyager really is a strap whore, it goes with everything

I wore the strap on my Voyager today when out for my walk. Lots of sweaty uphill on the return leg, so gave it a good wash. No apparent loss of colour, but whereas a nylon Haveston or Eddie's Deluxe will be dry enough to wear in an hour, this took @ 2.5 hours. That's a hand wash in the sink, then gripped in the fold of a towel and dragged through several times to dry off the bulk of the water. Then strapped on the washing line until dry.
    Last edited by magirus; 17th May 2020 at 23:47.
    F.T.F.A.

Approx 2.5 days wear, washed once and buttery soft, but to be fair it was this soft out out of the tin. A lot of shots I've seen look as if there's a sort of bow where the strap exits the bars and you'd then expect the strap to need to wear in and curve around the bar, but not with this example. Here's a quick phone snap, heavily cropped to illustrate . . .

I mentioned that I wasn't happy with fitting it to my Everest. Well I had a similar problem with my Damasko DA37, not with canvas, just a tight fit pulling certain Natos through the case/springbar gap. Moving from 1.8mm bars to 1.6mm fixed that, so I've got some 1.5x22mm shoulderless bars ordered to see if that helps with fitting the canvas on the Everest, 0.3mm is a lot in this area!
    Last edited by magirus; 18th May 2020 at 00:05.
    F.T.F.A.

It fits nicely on the Everest with the 1.5mm shoulderless bars fitted, a very good looking combination IMHO. Turned the pedals for a very sweaty hour on the turbo trainer yesterday, so another soapy wash. The strap had taken on the shape of the bends around the bars and case along with a little hump next to the tang hole being used, but just like it's nylon bretheren these disappeared after washing and looking as good as new.

Last edited by magirus; 19th May 2020 at 13:35.
    F.T.F.A.

Be interested to see how the darker colour gets on. I've the light tan version, and it has worn in nicely - I'm very pleased with it.

Master
    They are fine, my wrist is that size.

From the first sigh it looks unnatural, but after some time I find it one of the most original and nice option for watches.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Ordered a green canvas to go on the Hamilton Khaki I got from the Sc,sadly the stock strap is a bit short on my 20cm wrist.

Three weeks in and the strap is holding up very well. It's been in the sun a lot, and washed several more times since my last post. The edges are looking a little lighter and I think the colour generally may be a little lighter now. I ran the shots on the Everest and Voyager through GIMP before posting them and adjusted the colour using Curves so it was very accurate holding the strap up to my Mac screen to compare, but in this late evening light it's hard to say. There's been no more loops coming away, and the one I pulled through before soaking the Gorilla glue in has stayed put. I think I'm convinced enough to order a 20mm for my Damaskos, the M-1918C was my original choice but the Forecastle is also calling to me. Of course it's 10% if ordering 2, watch this space . . .

F.T.F.A.

Master
    Well the 1944 arrived and have to say I prefer it to the forecastle. Having said that the forecastle suits the Bulova moonwatch very well. The forecastle has had one wash and as noted by Magirus has softened slightly.

Last edited by bobc; 26th September 2020 at 13:11. Reason: Removing tapatalk blurb

Both looking really good there! Thanks for adding to the thread.
    F.T.F.A.

Well matched combo with a CWC

Quote Originally Posted by acg View Post
    Well matched combo with a CWC
    I'd have to really drag one of these straps under the bars of my CWC to get it on the watch, and that wouldn't do the stitching around the tang holes any good at all. The watch is early 2003/4. I know from taking measurements when choosing springbars for my DA37 and PRS-5 that a difference of less than ½mm can be enough to affect the ease of fitting. It's not a problem as I never intended to use these straps on the CWC, as a sports/holiday watch the daily strap changes and strap washing/drying is easier with standard nylon Natos.
    F.T.F.A.

I've been wearing 20mm lugged watches since the arrival of the A-12, time to get some more wear on the 22mm versions, so a quick wind and set . . .

F.T.F.A.

Craftsman
    Good tip! I had read about cutting the extra piece off from the NATO strap but had not thought about making the second keeper into a sliding one. I'll give that a go on one of my old ones.

I've worn and washed the Bakelite-F enough now to be very happy with the canvas keepers. So happy in fact that I ordered another, along with another M-1944C, also with canvas keepers (although metal versions are still in stock until they are all gone). I got another one of each because I now can't decide which of these two colours I like best, so I thought a couple of spares would be handy to tuck away in case either is discontinued. ;-)

PS. Those keepers haven't faded as much as it appears, it's just the way the light caught them.
    F.T.F.A.

I just unpacked the new canvas keepered M-1944C to try on the DA37 I'm wearing at the moment, and it stuck out like a sore thumb that the keepers are wider than on the Bakelite-F that's coming off. A quick measurement with the trusty Mitutoyo shows a 1mm difference, 6mm vs 7mm. I also bought another Bakelite-F as a spare, so I'll unpack it tomorrow to measure it and take some shots in natural light. These straps do shrink a smidge with repeated wear and washing, but not that much. The strap width it'self is spot on 20mm. I think I'll mail Alex next week to ask about this. Apologies for the harsh light . . .

F.T.F.A.

Big fan of these. 6 weeks in, it's developed slight face

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenVrs View Post
    Big fan of these. 6 weeks in, it's developed slight face

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk
    Just the right amount of blue in the stitching to contrast with the watch, very nice combo there.
    F.T.F.A.

I'll be able to do a meaningful comparison of how one of my early purchases has faded in a couple of days time. Watch this space . . .
    F.T.F.A.

I posted this in the other "delivery" thread, but the content is relevant here as well.

Postie called earlier. The Voyager has been in need of a Forecastle for a while now. After a few months of being worn and washed a lot on the Damaskos the 20mm example shows the fading nicely next to a new one. Faded in a nice lived in way though I think. I'll try and get some better pictures when the light's ok.

PS. Another tin for the collection, ideal storage for a couple of Natos.

PPS. Forgot to say that in the first picture the new strap looks longer, that's because it is by 20mm. The website gives the length now as 275mm not including the buckle.
    Last edited by magirus; 8th October 2020 at 17:24.
    F.T.F.A.

Now that there are 4 x 20mm straps and 3 x 22mm to wear in rotation it'll be interesting to see how long it takes the new 22mm Forecastle to fade as much as the 20mm example has.
    F.T.F.A.

Craftsman
    Hi Bob

I wondered why I hadn't seen any posts from you. Glad to hear you're on the mend.

Looking forward to meeting for a beer next year

All the best

Alan

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by tvralan View Post
    Hi Bob

I wondered why I hadn't seen any posts from you. Glad to hear you're on the mend.

Looking forward to meeting for a beer next year

All the best

Alan

Thanks Alan. The next time I see you in the Vic this nightmare should be over, looking forward to it!
    F.T.F.A.

I took delivery of a Bakelite-F this afternoon. This is by far the stiffest out of the box so far, they've all been about the same in this respect apart from the black A-12, which was a lot softer when new and felt thinner, although it's the same thickness when measured with a digital caliper. Looking forward to seeing how this new strap softens and fades with wearing and washing, and also how the canvas keepers fare. The sliding keeper, as I expected, has a fair bit of frictional grip on the strap and I've found it easier to place it where I want it before fastening the strap as it doesn't slide easily as the metal ones do. I posted some pics in my other thread, but here's a couple to compare colours with a well worn and washed M-1918C for anyone reading this thread with a view to buying any of their canvas straps.

Last edited by magirus; 7th December 2020 at 22:16.
    F.T.F.A.

This strap looks darker when being worn than my initial pictures suggest. It's still dark and miserable out, but this shot gives a better idea.

F.T.F.A.

Definitely interested in seeing how you get on with the canvas keepers over time.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Craftsman
    Still going strong. And softening up nicely

Still going strong. And softening up nicely
    Thanks for contributing Alan, looking good there! My 20mm Forecastle is looking very faded now, in a nice way, as you can see in this comparison shot with a much less used 22mm, from last October.

F.T.F.A.

Thus inspired, I got out the DA37, set it and fitted the Forecastle.

F.T.F.A.

Just changed the Forecastle for an M-1918C, I'm using a fresh strap each day in these warm conditions. Here's a quicky of it alongside the spare I received last week to show how nicely faded these straps become. That said, I'd be equally happy if they didn't fade! ;-)

F.T.F.A.

Master
    Both look great.

Craftsman
    Flightdeck works well with the blue dial?

Flightdeck works well with the blue dial?

Matches it beautifully Alan. I've been considering the 2 blue shades recently, and whilst the 4 colours I have could be dubbed the "Fab Four" perhaps it's time for the "Famous Five"? ;-)
    F.T.F.A.

Craftsman
    Freshly washed and fitted to the watch that started this crazy hobby.

Freshly washed and fitted to the watch that started this crazy hobby.

By chance it was also a CWC that brought me to this place! Any chance of a picture taken off the wrist to show more of the strap Alan? It'll show the fading better.
    F.T.F.A.

Craftsman
    Very difficult to photograph Bob.
    Hopefully this gives you an idea

Thank you Alan. I agree that it's not easy to get the shades just right in these shots, but your images are just what I wanted.
    F.T.F.A.

I've been wearing the 18mm straps almost exclusively for weeks since the PRS-68 arrived, and the 20mm versions before that, so high time to extract some 22mm from the vault! Only one to wear them on now that the 40mm Everest has gone to a new home locally . . .

The very first I bought, unused from a WTB here, now buttery soft. The stitching around the tang holes is still perfect . . .

F.T.F.A.

Well, that soon became all sweated up pottering about outside in the hot sun today. Time to wash it and all change . . .

Edited to change picture from older shot to one showing a more accurate colour for the well laundered strap.
    Last edited by magirus; 13th September 2021 at 18:18.
    F.T.F.A.

Just changed the A12 I had on the DC56 for the Flight Deck that arrived earlier. Gave the A12 a wash and it's still as black as tar, that Dylon dye works very well. It'll be interesting to see how the two shades of blue age, especially the darker navy blue of the Flight Deck. Not a problem of course because if either go the same way as the A12 I'll just re-dye them.
    F.T.F.A.

Craftsman
    Had the sub on a sail cloth all week.
    Very uncomfortable.
    Put back on the Haveston - aka a pair of slippers!

Had the sub on a sail cloth all week. Very uncomfortable.
    Put back on the Haveston - aka a pair of slippers!

A good looking combination Alan. Interesting that you fit the strap the "other way around".
    F.T.F.A.

First wash for the 22mm Flight Deck earlier after a longish sweaty ramble. Dried and back on the Voyager (the only 22mm lugged watch I have now) . . .

F.T.F.A.

Craftsman
    I can't compete with the quality of the photography in this thread but here's my rather sad attempt!

Haveston Flight Deck is the perfect colour and look for the Blue Hydroconquest.

Spot on.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by sickie View Post
    Haveston Flight Deck is the perfect colour and look for the Blue Hydroconquest. Spot on.

Looks like a very good match. It looks like you have an A12 nestling behind it. The A12 doesn't fade gracefully like the other hues, and when mine got to this stage after numerous washes I decided to try dying it. If yours goes this way look back to posts #119,#121,#125,#126 and #145 to see what I used and the result.
    Last edited by magirus; 3rd November 2021 at 09:28.
    F.T.F.A.

You are correct about the A12. I have a few with one I wear a lot for work.
    I'll take you're tip about the dying them as the outcome look's very good indeed.

They are great straps once they've been worn in.

Edit : ordered the dye from Amazon

Last edited by sickie; 3rd November 2021 at 09:36.

Quote Originally Posted by sickie View Post
    You are correct about the A12. I have a few with one I wear a lot for work.
    I'll take you're tip about the dying them as the outcome look's very good indeed.

They are great straps once they've been worn in.

Edit : ordered the dye from Amazon

I used the whole lot of the dye, and the A12 remains jet black after several washes. However I had to rinse it numerous times at the end of the dyeing process until the water ran clear, so I think if I did it again I'd try 1/4 or 1/3 of the due and see how that goes. You can always use the rest in one go if not happy with the result. I look forward to seeing how it goes!
    F.T.F.A.