closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Haveston canvas straps - long term durability test

Quote Originally Posted by Cornholio View Post
    Thank you for this marvellously informative thread!

I know that washing machines have been mentioned a couple of times. Have you had enough experience to know if the machine does the straps any harm?

Have a 1943 and a 1944 on the way, and don't want to damage them! The website says hand wash only, but maybe a gentle cycle will be ok?

The only canvas strap that I have at the moment is this one from CWC. Have been putting it in a 30 degree wash with with Nikwax, not detergent, and it seems to be surviving. However, it doesn't get worn very often.

Cheers!

I can't really comment on washing the straps long term in a washing machine. All I ever do is run a tap to the temp I wash my hands at, work up a lather with liquid antibacterial soap (the "Cien" brand from Lidl) and wash the already soaked strap between my hands. Then a good rinse and a pat with the towel and out on the washing line. As far as I can tell this works fine with no problems.
    F.T.F.A.

Excellent! Thank you 😊

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    I can't really comment on washing the straps long term in a washing machine. All I ever do is run a tap to the temp I wash my hands at, work up a lather with liquid antibacterial soap (the "Cien" brand from Lidl) and wash the already soaked strap between my hands. Then a good rinse and a pat with the towel and out on the washing line. As far as I can tell this works fine with no problems.
    When I put them in the washing machine I tie each strap in a sock. I've washed the Forecastle once and the 1918c twice, and I don't intent of washing them any more. I much prefer the 'used' look but not "too used".
    "Owning one is almost as satisfying as making one." ~ Rolex 1973

Thank you both for the feedback.

Absolutely delighted with the straps. Ordered Friday afternoon, arrived Saturday morning.

The 1943 is deliciously soft straight out of the tin and is a joy to wear. The floating keeper adjusts for the perfect fit, and the look is just what I was wanting.

1944 is still in its cardboard box. Will put it on next week.

Many thanks too for this detailed and inspiring thread. I'll be buying a few more...

Cheers!

Gavin.

Last edited by Cornholio; 13th February 2023 at 09:11.

Well, my newest example of the 20mm Forecastle (canvas keepers) was resolutely staying a flat shade of grey and not lightening up nicely like it's three 20mm bretheren, which are the older style with metal keepers. You can see this in the picture below on my DC56, next to a suitably faded example on the DA37. Hmmm.

Now then, what is the model of the strap on the 36mm Everest to the right I hear you ask? That's an 18mm version of the Forecastle that was also very naughty with regards to my fading expectations. How did it change colour I hear you ask?

Take some stain remover, bleach and water. Mix carefully, very carefully - you don't want to splash this anywhere. Insert strap, check frequently to check progress, remove rinse, wash, rinse then out on the washing line to air dry.

For comparison, L to R, unused Bakelite-F, faded Bakelite-F, faded M-1918C, altered Forecastle on Everest.

Finally, the 20mm example suitably treated, albeit a very slightlydifferent shade to the 18mm.

The treated straps are closer in colour then my pictures show, and the untreated version looks a lot better than it's actual drabness.
    F.T.F.A.

The 1944 seems a little stiffer than the 1943. I'm liking the canvas keepers.

The PRS-29AM needs a 1943 next...

Not sure if this is plagiarism, or an attempt to use the house style?

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Cornholio View Post
    The 1944 seems a little stiffer than the 1943. I'm liking the canvas keepers.

The PRS-29AM needs a 1943 next...

Not sure if this is plagiarism, or an attempt to use the house style?

That shade goes very well with the colour of the watch. Nice!
    F.T.F.A.

Thank you!

Here's a better shot of the once grey Forecastle. Note that this process doesn't affect the colour of the stitching, which of course also doesn't fade when washed frequently . . .

F.T.F.A.

This is my most "used" Haveston - it's the most comfortable strap I own!

An update re the 20mm A-12 I dyed back at the end of May 2021, here #121 . It's been worn a reasonable amount, perhaps more than previously as I've sold my 40mm Everest and Dreadnought Voyager along with all of my 22mm straps, so I only have 18mm and 20mm now. It's keeping it's colour beautifully with no discernible fading.

Last edited by magirus; 27th March 2023 at 16:07.
    F.T.F.A.

Here's an 18mm Quarterdeck when new. I really wanted the Flight Deck as I had the shade in 20mm and slightly preferred it, but it wasn't (and still isn't) available in 18mm, you take what you can get!

Unfortunately it eventually took on the hue of faded denim, too light for my taste, I didn't like that at all. Here it is (was) next to an unworn spare . . .

Enter Dylon again. After dying this took a lot more washing and rinsing than the black did before it ran clear and could be worn. This despite using only half of the dye sachet rather than the full one I used on the A12.

I'm very happy with the result. There were some light bits on the edges but a light dab with a Sharpie then a wipe with a damp cloth sorted that . . .

F.T.F.A.

My DA37 returned from being serviced a couple of days ago. I removed the Forecastle that I altered the colour of to wash it and fancied something darker so on went the re-dyed A12. It's just over 2yrs since I dyed it and the colour is still holding perfectly after a good few washes . . .

F.T.F.A.

I ordered a couple of 22mm straps for my Tudor Bronze, the M-1918C and M-1943C. They fill the 23mm lugs well but they’re very stiff, more so than the 20mm Quarterdeck I bought last month.
    I’ll change the buckle to a bronze one and wear this until I give it a wash at the weekend.