Hybrid View

That's an M-1918C, albeit nicely faded.

Here not so faded . . .

F.T.F.A.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    That's an M-1918C, albeit nicely faded.

Here not so faded . . .

Thank you, I thought it was but it’s quite a bit lighter so was wondering if it was an older model no longer made.
    Cheers,
    Rob
    Last edited by barbusg60; 8th April 2021 at 21:47.

Here's a look at how the straps have faded after a good bit of wear and washing. The top 2 are M-1944Cs, unworn and then faded, then a pair of Bakelite-Fs unworn/faded, followed by a Forecastle, M-1918C (a little lighter than it actually is) and A-12 (a little darker than it actually is). The Bakelite has hardly had time to fade as I haven't had it that long and not worn it as much as the others. What pleases me is that what I thought might be a weak point, ie. the stitching around the tang holes, has been no problem whatsoever. These are all 20mm, the 22mm versions which are older have fared the same.

Last edited by magirus; 6th April 2021 at 07:31.
    F.T.F.A.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Here's a look at how the straps have faded after a good bit of wear and washing. The top 2 are M-1944Cs, unworn and then faded, then a pair of Bakelite-Fs unworn/faded, followed by a Forecastle, M-1918C (a little lighter than it actually is) and A-12 (a little darker than it actually is). The Bakelite has hardly had time to fade as I haven't had it that long and not worn it as much as the others. What pleases me is that what I thought might be a weak point, ie. the stitching around the tang holes, has been no problem whatsoever. These are all 20mm, the 22mm versions which are older have fared the same.

Great pic, thanks.
    I’ve just sold the watch I was interested in these for but when I find the next one I will definitely be getting a selection.
    They’re a fair price too

Quote Originally Posted by barbusg60 View Post
    Great pic, thanks.
    I’ve just sold the watch I was interested in these for but when I find the next one I will definitely be getting a selection.
    They’re a fair price too

Trust me, the price belies their quality, and that goes for the nylon Havestons too . . .

F.T.F.A.

Based on this thread I bought a couple of Haveston straps. I have looked at them previously but because of all the US military references and the fact that the website was in dollars, I didn't realise they were based in the UK.

I went for the M-1944 green canvas, with canvas keepers and an M-1936 single pass layout.

I had a canvas strap a long time ago from Eddie, but that was fairly cheap and had a cardboard structure if I recall correctly. The Haveston one seems much better quality, and I assume it is canvas all the way down. I've not had any problems fitting the canvas strap through the spring bar gap on my CWC. It's tighter than a regular NATO, but not unduly so.

I like the floating keeper on the canvas, although less so on the nylon strap, which has metal keepers and it tends to slip more easily. Also because my wrists are relatively small, I have a long tail, which the floating metal keeper doesn't quite reach.

I've been alternating, but I think I like the canvas one the most, and I will probably be ordering the black canvas at some point soon as well.

As we all like photos

For those of you that have a canvas Forecastle, is it grey or is blue-grey?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MurrayMint View Post

I went for the M-1944 green canvas, with canvas keepers and an M-1936 single pass layout.

I have a M-1936 single pass which I use on my CWC Divers and I agree - it looks good on the watch but the metal keeper does move about a bit.

Does the canvas strap make the watch wear too high on your wrist?
    Last edited by Eddiex; 16th April 2021 at 14:54.