closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Brompton Electric

Brompton Electric

I’m considering getting an electric bike and the foldable Brompton seems to give the best flexibility in terms of London commuting, I.e mixing different modes of transport where required / keeping in the office etc. Has anyone got one, what are your thoughts? To be fair my commute is only about 6 miles each way so I could go with a considerably cheaper non-electric model! Does anyone commute this sort of distance? How do you find it?

I tried the v1 Brompton electric when I was at the shop (Brompton fanatic here) and the Tern Vektron v1 at the same time. I know the v2 Brompton is an improvement (couldn’t be much worse than the v1 frankly) but the Tern outshone it by a country mile. The Tern is quite a lump mind you. Both bikes are now on v2.

Six miles can be quite a commute if it’s hilly but if it’s flat and there are no other reasons you need an ebike, I’d suggest a regular one but look for a superlight if you are carrying it about a lot. It doesn’t look like much weight on paper but makes a big difference on a long carry.

For 6 miles I would try the regular one but if your office has secure bike parking a Specialized Vado goes up to 28mph with a range of 80 miles and just looks like a regular bike. Good luck sourcing any bike from any brand at the minute though.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Just remember that if you choose a speed pedelec it must be registered, insured and you must have the required category on your licences to ride it.

That said I’m not sure everyone bothers as who will be checking.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    For 6 miles I would try the regular one but if your office has secure bike parking a Specialized Vado goes up to 28mph with a range of 80 miles and just looks like a regular bike. Good luck sourcing any bike from any brand at the minute though.
    Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

Quote Originally Posted by ben4watches View Post
    Just remember that if you choose a speed pedelec it must be registered, insured and you must have the required category on your licences to ride it.

That said I’m not sure everyone bothers as who will be checking.
    Valid points. However after this I'm taking no chances and an getting insured on my bicycle. Not worth it.

https://www.theguardian.com/law/2020...oking-at-phone

Master
    Valid points. However after this I'm taking no chances and an getting insured on my bicycle. Not worth it.

https://www.theguardian.com/law/2020...oking-at-phone
    Would British Cycling membership have covered this?

Quote Originally Posted by Maris View Post
    No idea.

Blog Entries
    i wonder if grants will be available in the for one?

This will also encourage me to ride to work going forward if they can pull it off - https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...ockdown-eased?

Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    I’m considering getting an electric bike and the foldable Brompton seems to give the best flexibility in terms of London commuting, I.e mixing different modes of transport where required / keeping in the office etc. Has anyone got one, what are your thoughts? To be fair my commute is only about 6 miles each way so I could go with a considerably cheaper non-electric model! Does anyone commute this sort of distance? How do you find it?
    I sometimes do a 10 mile journey on a 2speed non-electric across London from Crystal Palace to Stroud green. If I’m fully laden in the front bag and there’s a headwind then the hills are a real effort compared to doing it on a normal road bike! 6 miles on a 3 or 6speed will be half hour and not difficult if you are not a couch potato. What the electric will give you is avoid the tired legs at the end of the week or if you had to do a long day.

Personally for that short a journey I would just spend the extra on the lightweight and/or a few upgrades like the ezy-wheels and better hinge clamps

Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    I sometimes do a 10 mile journey on a 2speed non-electric across London from Crystal Palace to Stroud green. If I’m fully laden in the front bag and there’s a headwind then the hills are a real effort compared to doing it on a normal road bike! 6 miles on a 3 or 6speed will be half hour and not difficult if you are not a couch potato. What the electric will give you is avoid the tired legs at the end of the week or if you had to do a long day.

Personally for that short a journey I would just spend the extra on the lightweight and/or a few upgrades like the ezy-wheels and better hinge clamps
    Thanks. Useful info. I’m relatively fit. Run about 80-100km a month. I’m not far from you and need to travel to Westminster. As you say the electric just give an extra boost.

I’m thinking that when things change to the next phase I’ve got no interest in using the trains / tubes on a regular basis but do like the idea of being able to take a bike on public transport should I need to for any reason. Is the lightweight you mention a Brompton? I’m new to folding bikes but looking on the Brompton site note there are a dizzying array of options and customisations available!!

I have a brompton, normal steel 6 speed and cycle everyday from Paddington to Liverpool street and this takes circa 30 mins from memory.

I find the weight ok up and down escalators at the local train stations. The light weight will make a difference but I only every carry it 50 yards max so not bothered about the weight. If you ave lost of stairs I can understand the desire on the weight. My local shop let me test them, fold it up and carry it around. I felt the weight saving after this was just not worth the costs. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    Thanks. Useful info. I’m relatively fit. Run about 80-100km a month. I’m not far from you and need to travel to Westminster. As you say the electric just give an extra boost.

I’m thinking that when things change to the next phase I’ve got no interest in using the trains / tubes on a regular basis but do like the idea of being able to take a bike on public transport should I need to for any reason. Is the lightweight you mention a Brompton? I’m new to folding bikes but looking on the Brompton site note there are a dizzying array of options and customisations available!!
    The lightweight is the titanium one, I think it’s called ‘superlight’ the model numbers are based on handlebar type (S, H, M) then speed 1,2,3,6

Being fit means you should be fine without the electric. I live right at the top of Crystal Palace so the last hill home can be a drag but now I have been back on my road bike it’s not such hard work. I probably would buy a 3 speed if I was buying again but that’s mainly for not factoring in the weight of a MacBook and a change of clothes in the front bag, I borrowed a 2speed and rode round the Isle of Wight and got up some very steep hills on it but that was unladen. The bag actually makes the bike more stable so do get a frame bag not a backpack

Isn’t the ARCC offering better than the Brompton one https://www.arccbikes.com/?gclid=EAI...SAAEgINIPD_BwE

Quote Originally Posted by Maris View Post
    Yes, lawyers etc provided, I think.

Bump... How are the owners finding these?

Rode a Lime bike for the first time the other week. Transformative and stopped my search for a 300-600cc moped.

Went from Euston to Pall Mall back up to King's Cross and then over to Liverpool Street in jeans a backpack and a shirt, no issues at all.

Awful pricing, very expensive, but tempted via the work cycle scheme.

Anyone go for the P line over the C line when going electric?

Master
    Rode a Lime bike for the first time the other week. Transformative and stopped my search for a 300-600cc moped.

Went from Euston to Pall Mall back up to King's Cross and then over to Liverpool Street in jeans a backpack and a shirt, no issues at all.
    And they are right old bone shakers too

I didn’t bother in the end, instead using my 1995 Titanium MTB. I did try a friends full sus ebike at bedgebury and it’s a game changers! Although takes something away from riding single track IMO. Can really see the benefit of an electric commuter bike though, something like the Vanmoof.

This would be for going between meetings in town. Train into somewhere like Euston/Liverpool Street then pootling around. So much nicer being out in the air Vs tube in decent weather.

For a single office commute a proper frame ebike would be a lot better, or a > 300cc moped, but the Brompton could go anywhere and you'd probably never have theft issues.

I can expense Lime bike hire as travel but with the Brompton I'm on my own, just cycle to work.

You can hire a Brompton for £5 per 24 hours and keeping for a week without issue. Just the C line but a good extended demo for pennies.

I converted mine with a Swytch kit and that works well and is cheaper. Having said that I'm thinking of removing it as half the reason I got it was for some free (timewise) exercise and it makes the riding too easy even on the lowest setting! I ride from Victoria / Waterloo to Marylebone just to give you an idea of distance.