closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Smiths Everest Randomly Stops

Apprentice

Smiths Everest Randomly Stops

Hello everyone this is my first post. I purchased a Smiths Everest in July of last year and I absolutely love the watch and its been great so far till now. The watch will randomly stop at times starting about a week ago on wrist. I thought at first that the power reserve was low so I gave it twenty winds and about 30 minutes later it stopped. If I leave it in the watch box facing up it doesn’t stop so it’s only roughly when the crown is pointing up or down. It doesn’t seem to stop at any particular time so I don’t think the hands are rubbing. I haven’t done anything different with the watch lately and I haven’t hit it on anything hard since getting the watch. Other then it stopping I haven’t noticed it losing or gaining much time when it’s running. The watch still has a little over a year of warranty left and I plan on calling but I wanted to run it by here first to here other opinions. I have never opened the watch nor do I plan on doing so. Also with the pandemic and all the craziness going on right now it may complicate things. Is there anything I should try or do before calling Time Factors?

TLDR: I have a Smiths Everest 36mm and it stops at random times when the crown is pointed up or down. I haven’t called Time Factors yet and I’m looking for opinions on what to do first.

Master
    I haven't heard of it and my understanding is that the Miyota movement is very reliable.

I found this thread on another forum about a Miyota 9015 with similiar issues. See post #8 for some troubleshooting steps, but the thread is woth a read.

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f2/pos...a-4984495.html

Edit

After rereading your post and the thread I linked to, they seem to be discimiliar issues, but possibly still worth a look.
    Last edited by gerrudd; 14th May 2020 at 22:55.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by gerrudd View Post
    I haven't heard of it and my understanding is that the Miyota movement is very reliable.

I found this thread on another forum about a Miyota 9015 with similiar issues. See post #8 for some troubleshooting steps, but the thread is woth a read.

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f2/pos...a-4984495.html

Edit

After rereading your post and the thread I linked to, they seem to be discimiliar issues, but possibly still worth a look.
    I looked through the posts and I tried what was suggested but no dice. I also noticed that the watch is running a bit slower now so I guess I’m going to have to get it serviced. Thanks for the help though! It’s just a shame since this is the second most worn watch I have.

Journeyman
    Grey skies, a salty cool breeze, endless green fields, the sound of seagulls.
    You are the second person I know of, who says their Everest is randomly stopping.
    Curious to see where this goes.

Craftsman
    Isn’t there a 24 month guarantee with it?
    There was with mine.

Craftsman
    It's under warranty .... why don't you just email Timefactors and see what Eddie says ?

Apprentice
    I did a few more tests by running out the power reserve and letting it sit a day then wound it it up to full and it happened again. I wanted to be absolutely certain that there was something wrong with the watch before contacting Eddie. I just sent him an email now explaining what happens and hopefully I can get this sorted with the warranty. I tend to over think these situations so I was a little reluctant to just send him an email right away.

Journeyman
    Grey skies, a salty cool breeze, endless green fields, the sound of seagulls.
    Quote Originally Posted by Susano View Post
    I tend to over think these situations so I was a little reluctant to just send him an email right away.
    I unterstand completely.

I had to send a watch from a rather reputable manufacturer back multiple times due to QC issues. And I questioned myself at every step because everybody else on the forums seems to rave about said manufacturers quality.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Susano View Post
    I wanted to be absolutely certain that there was something wrong with the watch before contacting Eddie.

Hahaha .. reminds me of when I bought my Everest PRS-25 ... I thought there was something wrong with the AR coating and emailed him straightaway, and it turned out to be the plastic covering on the dial that I hadn't removed.

He probably had a good laugh about that ... :)

In my defence, I'd never bought a watch that had that sort of plastic cover on the dial before ... but I still felt rather stupid LOL.

Hope you are able to get your watch sorted !

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by sier View Post
    I unterstand completely.

I had to send a watch from a rather reputable manufacturer back multiple times due to QC issues. And I questioned myself at every step because everybody else on the forums seems to rave about said manufacturers quality.
    That’s my situation lol. Another review just posted on Youtube loving the watch and I always second guess myself. I just sent it off only two days ago and I already miss it... Though I have a new Seiko turtle on the way so hopefully that will distract me long enough till my Smiths returns.