closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lock down weight gain.

Lock down weight gain.

I have to say that, for me at least, lock down hasn't been the diet and Joe Wicks marathon that I'd have liked it to be.

For various reasons, I've been living apart from my loved ones since before all this started and may well not be able to spend time with them for a few more weeks.

I'm worried that when I do get to see them, none of them will fit and I'll need to spend days putting links back into bracelets!

For about 3 months now, my only timepiece has been a Casio GW-M5610 which has a strap that refuses to give any clues as to whether I've moved from one hole to another.

How have others fared in the wrist department during this tricky time? I want to know what to expect.

(As this isn't the bear pit I'm assuming that folk are not wearing their watch on their dominant arm, so that which may be less exercised by lockdown activities - such as weeding)

Craftsman
    First three weeks of lockdown I ate junk all day everyday and did absolutely 0 exercise (I'm a competitive boxer so usually do a lot of exercise!) It def started to take its toll. I also haven't worn a watch once since lockdown started, just haven't felt the need so can't comment on watches feeling tighter. My wedding ring felt tighter though due to water retention from a horrendous diet.

If it's any consolation I had a couple of months off work after I got married and enjoyed myself. I had to go to M&S on my first day back at work and buy a new pair of trousers as couldn't fit in any of my existing ones! Work at least saw the funny side of it!

Been back in to a pretty solid routine last few weeks and do feel better for it.

The scales are usually a clue! For me I've lost about half a stone. Normally spend most days sitting on my arse, so even with the gym closed I've been more active. Been outside and done something every day.

I've not been wearing a watch until last week and noticed a couple have got a bit loose. Bought some cream buns yesterday to get back on track!

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Genta View Post
    If it's any consolation I had a couple of months off work after I got married and enjoyed myself. I had to go to M&S on my first day back at work and buy a new pair of trousers as couldn't fit in any of my existing ones! Work at least saw the funny side of it!
    Ah that's my theory of married life!

Women are interested in you when you are slim, buff and muscular.

Once they marry you, they fatten you up so that other women won't find you attractive, you can't run away (at least not quickly) and they have something to nag you about for the remaining 60 years.

I think our routine not really changed has helped - three square and no snacking in-between. We miss the gym but managed to get weights and that plus outdoor running has helped. I was worried I'd start drinking more but we have stuck to Friday and Saturday night - hopefully I can get into a suit come September (which is likely to be the next time I set foot on the premises).

I've lost some weight since the lockdown! I assume most of the loss is muscle loss though as I look more skinnyfat than being lean. On the watch side of things, I recently had to shorten my pelagos bracelet a notch using the easy-adjust.

During the last couple of months I've been working from home, walked a lot less and have not exercised as much. I find that when I don't exercise I don't get as hungry. Work and the PS4 have also kept me from snacking.

However I recently did some weights exercises at home (about 70% of my normal workout volume) and I find that I'm a lot weaker. Recovery has also been terrible with deadly DOMS. Will try to step it up more later this week.

I got into bad habits when lockdown first started including a lot of takeaways and no exercise. I have changed that over the last 3/4 weeks and am feeling a lot better. The supermarkets are no longer crazy so it is easier to fill the fridge up with proper foods.

I now try and do the following:

-short run (just under 3km round the block) a couple of times a week before starting work from home
    -Weight session at lunch time on week days
    -5km walk each day
    -15 minute HIIT workout a few times a week (really basic stuff e,g. 45 seconds of squats, 15 second break, 45 seconds of start jumps, 15 second break and repeat)

For those that are concerned, stuff isn't going to go back to normal for a while so you have plenty of time to change those lockdown bad habits and come out better off!

At the beginning alcohol was greatly consumed.

As my exposure to the news and other media sources has been greatly reduced, funnily enough so has my consumption.

Blog Entries
    Actually been more active since the lockdown. More brisk walks and an own body weight workout per weekday. Only 2lbs off my target weight.

The main thing, drinking less during the week is biggest factor.
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 13th May 2020 at 10:37.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradiddle View Post
    I've lost some weight since the lockdown! I assume most of the loss is muscle loss though as I look more skinnyfat than being lean. On the watch side of things, I recently had to shorten my pelagos bracelet a notch using the easy-adjust.

During the last couple of months I've been working from home, walked a lot less and have not exercised as much. I find that when I don't exercise I don't get as hungry. Work and the PS4 have also kept me from snacking.
    Pretty much sums up my situation. Lost a lot of muscle, and hence weight, but don't look "better" for it. A few of my watches are one notch tighter now and bracelets are jangling around my hand.

I think my uncut hair and beard has contributed to my weight gain significantly.
    Cheers..
    Jase

For me it’s been swings and roundabouts...in normal times I swim most days but eat what I like.
    In lockdown I’ve made a conscious effort to eat more healthily and cook from scratch, and of course there’s been no late night kebabs on the way home from the pub!
    I’ve lost muscle tone but suspect my overall weight has stayed roughly the same.

Grand Master
    Definitely put a few pounds on despite walking around 6 miles every day. Can`t run because my knee won't stand it. Missing the gym visits and cardio/weights workouts, muscle tone is going.

It's shit.

put about half a stone on from not going out and eating too much junk, gone from doing full body workouts 3 x week to doing 200+ decline press ups every 2 days just to try and keep something going .

Blog Entries
    I lost 2.5 kilos!

That's a lot easier here than under the current UK rules. We're allowed to walk, cycle etc. So I started both again when our 'intelligent lockdown' was announced. One hour walk every morning and a two hour walk on two of the 7 days. Add to that a renovation of house' second floor and it's clear where that 2.5 kilos went!

I've decided to sell one of the daily cars. My wife hardly uses her Honda (25 kms in 3 months...) and as part of the plan, I've also decided to buy an electric bike. Not so healthy as a 'normal bike'? Mmmm, I beg to differ. I often keep my current bike in the garage and take the car when it's windy etc. And an European survey showed that people owning an electric bike ultimately travel longerr distances with their 'electric' than they would have done without. Overall, an electric bike stimulates the use of man-powered travels. And so it's healthier.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S259019821930017X?via%3Dihub

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    That's a lot easier here than under the current UK rules. We're allowed to walk, cycle etc.
    There has been no prohibition of walking or cycling here.

I’ve lost 7kg! I miss the gym....

I’m a plus one for not wearing a watch the entire lock down, I’ve also been living in tracksuits and loungewear so hadn’t noticed the weight creeping on due to excess alcohol and snacking. I put some jeans on the other day and could barely do them up; and they were a 2” larger waist size to my normal size. I now need to achieve a calorie deficit of 50,000 calories, so it’s going to take 3 months of careful eating to get back to my ideal weight. I haven’t been this heavy for about 13-14 years.

I'm walking more, cycling a bit and drinking less, but at the same time I'm snacking more to fill the time, so I'm probably putting on a bit of weight.

Not got to the point of needing to adjust the belt yet, but I'm not sure I'll still fit into the suit I got married in for my daughter's wedding, but as Covid has resulted in that being on hold at the moment, I don't need to worry too much...

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

By the sounds of things, TZ-UK are at about Net zero :-)

I lost 12 kilos so far. I eat a bit less, walk/run at least 1h/day, drink the same, maybe even more than before :D

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    There has been no prohibition of walking or cycling here.

Great, I was under the impression you guys were. No 'useless travels' and so on. I was under the impression that walking and cycling was part of that.

Was in-between sizes on one of my Seikos but a solid three weeks of eating and sitting made it fit perfectly on the looser side. The rest have variants of glidelock/easy-link. I've started cycling in the evenings and so far enjoy it more than being on motorbike and I'm hoping to end lockdown healthier than I started it. Wearing a watch every day but enjoying the G-Shock and Seiko end of the collection due to lack of formal attire.

Fear not, I am here to tip the scales, I have put on a shed load of weight! My 21 year old son, who usually lives with his mum happened to be with us when lockdown started, so he stayed put with us, we had very little work coming in, so sheltered for the first 3 weeks and we ate rubbish food and enjoyed more beers than we should have. I have since furloughed him and started picking up what little work there is to be had but as a result of the drop in workload, I am much less active.

I did start to jog to try and get some weight shifted but unfortunately had a ‘fall’ (the kids say I’m now officially old) and sprained my ankle, I can now bear weight on it but zero chance of going for a jog. That’s the first time I’ve fallen over whilst running since I was about 5 years old and my first proper sprain, I didn’t realise that it would bruise as well?

So I’ve put on bundles, a good stone I would guess?

Quote Originally Posted by Craizeehair View Post
    So I’ve put on bundles, a good stone I would guess?
    Good lad!

Master
    This thread made me try one of my suits on earlier (much to the wife’s amusement). It still fits, but I’m definitely a bit flabbier (but weigh a little less)

my weight has gone up, around 2.5kg, not a huge amount but slippery slope and all that given my weight is pretty much static historically (im not heavy i normally stay at around 72kg)

the problem has been work, ive never been so busy and i don't know what it is with WFH but people think you are now available at all sorts of hrs, meetings back to back, zoom, teams etc. on my arse all day, kids home, so home schooling in between, its been pretty stressful to be honest, plus other personal stuff going on at the mo which isnt helping.

i try to get out and do a 30 min bike ride with the kids each day , weekends i go for a 8-10km walk, i hate running but im gonna start again in the evenings just for head space more than anything. Snacking and a poor attitude towards food anyway hasn't helped

when i opened this thread i was expecting to see the general theme being weight gain, great to see in the main its been loss and more healthier mindsets

Quote Originally Posted by watch-nut View Post
    the problem has been work, ive never been so busy and i don't know what it is with WFH but people think you are now available at all sorts of hrs, meetings back to back, zoom, teams etc. on my arse all day, kids home, so home schooling in between, its been pretty stressful to be honest, plus other personal stuff going on at the mo which isnt helping.
    I'm certainly with you on that - I'm not sleeping particularly well so I'm up early, laptop on at about 6.30-7.00 and it doesn't go off until about 22.00.

Lots of days when I don't get my Govt sanctioned exercise. Actually most days. Lots of sat on my arse.

Food tends to be convenient and "grabbed", so rarely lovingly prepared and healthy.

Now I'm back at work it's out of the house at 06.00, back at 19.00 and then I'm not in the right mood for a chamomile tea and a salad...

Definitely put on weight in the beginning, I think because the fridge is close.

When on the commute I'd cycle (20 miles each way) twice a week and on the days I didn't cycle then my commute and day in the office would give 12k steps without trying.

Fast forward to lockdown and the lack of mobility is really getting to me. I go out and walk 8km every day, but it's in one blast and the rest of the time is very sedentary.

As of last Monday I started a rigorous weight loss regime. For anyone who's BMI us above 35 then watch out, you could be the last to get to go back to work, so if you're a bit podgy start working on it now!

Master
    I’ve put 4kg on. Am not happy as only recently lost it. Got a week off next week, will be lots of eating and drinking (usually eat out lots in this week we always take, so this will be different).

After that I’m back on exercise & calorie cutting to get the weight away. I’m unlikely to be in the office until the end of summer, so might as well try to ditch it again.

I’m guess sitting on a call with Russia at 6am & still on a call with the US doesn’t help the getting out & about. Neither is the large glass of wine in my hand!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve taken up running. Really enjoying it. Have completely stayed off the booze- I never drank at home unless i had friends over so that’s been easy.

I’ve lost 4kg. It’s so hard to resist snacking but eating better overall and not buying lunch daily has helped.

I’ve banged in half a stone
    Feel vile about it tbh
    Will try harder to lose it

Sat on my arse in my job - with my commute down stairs into the lounge each day

I was scheduled for prostate surgery in late March and put on about 15 pounds leading up to that. Due to COVID-19 my surgery was canceled, then rescheduled one month later...add 15 more pounds!

That was three weeks ago. I've been 'on the wagon' since surgery and have lost about 13 pounds to date, hoping to lose the entire 30, and more.

Ive gained at least half a stone.

All down to beer.

Something in the negativity of the past few weeks has seen me having a couple of beers most evenings.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Put about two pounds on put that down to a bit more chocolate. I am still cycling doing 150 miles a week so I am happy with that

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    I've put 4kg on.
    Quote Originally Posted by eagletower View Post
    I've lost 4kg.
    I'm sorry but seeing those next to eachother was quite a chuckle.

Mj2k I'm in the same camp as you but working hard to try reverse it now.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    I'm sorry but seeing those next to eachother was quite a chuckle.

Mj2k I'm in the same camp as you but working hard to try reverse it now.
    Yup I smiled too, happy to offer it back!!

I stopped walking as people couldn’t seem to social distance & it used to wind me up something rotten. Will start with 7am walks and get back into it alongside a kettlebell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ive lost about half a stone

Stress and anxiety related to not having contact with my family and the need to find a new job whilst relocating to another part of the country during lockdown restrictions have added to this.

I would rather be fatter and less stressed!

Mrs V is complaining about putting on weight - too much alcohol and grazing in front of the TV I think. Not that I would say that to her of course.

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE] Mrs V is complaining about putting on weight - too much alcohol and grazing in front of the TV I think. Not that I would say that to her of course./QUOTE]

My wife has set up a very strict fitness regime for herself. Basically, she's exercising 6x/week 3x running and 3x working out in her 'gym/wardrobe room'. And she's very, very strict about food: healthy as can be. I mostly follow her food-regime. And honestly, I must say that last week I ate something with a lot of sugar (a piece of pie) and within an hour I felt as if was hit by a lorry: I wanted to stretch & nap on the sofa, I was yawning all the time and I felt very, very tired. I must have 'run out' of sugar!

I hate to admit it, but her healthy food may not be so bad...

Menno

due to my anxiety going through the roof (mainly due to watching the news too much, and not getting enough sleep, etc)
    and due to the fact I used to cycle every day to work and now working from home I'm only cycling every couple of days
    I actually have lost weight, a couple of kg, during this lockdown - also due to losing muscle mass...

Master
    A game of two halves really. First few weeks didn't walk enough and drank and snacked too much. After that we made a concerted effort as a family. Everyone is looking and feeling better. Daily "PE" for the kids, games in the garden(Lots of badminton, some golf, croquet, football etc.) , long walks most day, ( I walk separately in the evening as I'm working during the day, also gives me head space), almost no snacks, booze only at the weekend. I'm lucky to have a home gym, so worked out there 6 days a week. I put on and lost 1-2 kg. I've kept my watch on the whole time so didn't need to resize.

Far better a little weight gain than catch the virus and shed 2 clem in a fortnight.
    F.T.F.A.

Master
    No weight gain but some conversion of muscle to fat. Been exercising every day but not same as going to gym and for the first month my diet got a bit worse mainly on extra snacking from boredom. Snacking back under control now.

I'm down 3kg, though given I started at 75kg, wasn't much to start with! Doing a lot of HIIT sessions and walk at least 4-5km a day. I reckon some fat lost, not much further conversion to muscle, but I think I'm a bit leaner.

But no doubt diet is the main factor, so much crap is out of the diet and most of what I eat is cooked from raw/fresh. Even the treaties such as brownies and cakes I make, makes a massive difference controlling what goes into your food.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    I’ve lost 7kg!
    I've found it

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    Great, I was under the impression you guys were. No 'useless travels' and so on. I was under the impression that walking and cycling was part of that.
    It depends on one's reasons.

Exercise allowed (once per day iirc).
    Going to work allowed.
    Shopping allowed, preferably for food, pharmacy, and nothing else. But many shop types were still allowed to be open, including Post Offices.

All 'if necessary'. I.e. The overwhelming aim was to get people to use common sense and minimise their outings. To be honest, it worked reasonably well.

As to how it has now changed as of Monday... or Wednesday... er... to be honest it's not a lot different in any substantive way afaict. Afaict and afaicr, the only big change now is (a) more instances of exercise are supposedly allowed and (b) that the government is clearly very, very desperate to get the economy going again and so are now strongly encouraging people to go to work if it is safe to do so, whereas before they were saying "only go out to work if you if you really have to" or words to that effect. Oh, and some open-air garden centres are being allowed to re-open apparently. Of course, the hospitality industry is still screwed by state mandate and a vast proportion of it will be going bust now, no matter what.

It is all delicious British and vague.

Short answer (then and now): Do what you think you have to, use your own common sense, and don't cough anywhere in public, otherwise we'll end up with a scene from Invasion of the Body Snatchers...

Last edited by markrlondon; 14th May 2020 at 17:19.

Lost 5-6kg (nearly 70 down to around 64) some due to stress as no work/government support, parents with health issues and not being with my partner who had a CV test wait and other things going on, been meaning to lose a bit round the middle as a slim guy with a pot belly that crept up after not getting out on the bike like I used to, not doing the volume of miles but with a bit of yoga and smaller portions I have lost the weight but now need to put on 2kg of muscle and lose the rest of the belly.

Never did yoga before but the ‘yoga with Adrienne’ videos on YouTube are great if you pic the beginners ones.

I’ve been on a bit of a journey with this so interesting thread! I gave up smoking in January and put on a few (!) pounds before lockdown. This then accelerated as I stopped the exercise I’d started and ate and drank more.

I’ve since had a bit of an epiphany and have been living more healthily and doing a lot of weights and cardio. The net result is a loss of 4 pounds, but more importantly a couple of inches off the waist and feel stronger and fitter. Not sure how long it’ll last but I do feel better for it mentally too. Kicking the car out of the garage and setting up a home gym helped.

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    It depends on one's reasons.

Exercise allowed (once per day iirc).
    Going to work allowed.
    Shopping allowed, preferably for food, pharmacy, and nothing else. But many shop types were still allowed to be open, including Post Offices.

All 'if necessary'. I.e. The overwhelming aim was to get people to use common sense and minimise their outings. To be honest, it worked reasonably well.

As to how it has now changed as of Monday... or Wednesday... er... to be honest it's not a lot different in any substantive way afaict. Afaict and afaicr, the only big change now is (a) more instances of exercise are supposedly allowed and (b) that the government is clearly very, very desperate to get the economy going again and so are now strongly encouraging people to go to work if it is safe to do so, whereas before they were saying "only go out to work if you if you really have to" or words to that effect. Oh, and some open-air garden centres are being allowed to re-open apparently. Of course, the hospitality industry is still screwed by state mandate and a vast proportion of it will be going bust now, no matter what.

It is all delicious British and vague.

Short answer (then and now): Do what you think you have to, use your own common sense, and don't cough anywhere in public, otherwise we'll end up with a scene from Invasion of the Body Snatchers...

One of my favorite movies, Mark. I made the mistake of letting my young son watch it...he cried and cried! I think he's over it now - - he's 43.

Thomas Reid
    I don't think that I've change in weight very much, but I hadn't been getting enough exercise. Very little bicycle riding, and long work days. Then I hurt my back, and it was all I could do to get chores done and work. The past week or so has been better, especially after I restarted an exercise regime I used a long time ago. Tai Chi warm up exercises for flexibility and skipping rope for coordination and cardio work. One nice thing is that they don't take much equipment or space.

Best wishes,
    Bob