closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lock down weight gain.

Blog Entries
    I haven't weighed myself in years - but if clothing and watches are anything to go by - I've may have actually lost a few pounds.
    I may have had a few more beers than pre-lockdown - but I have also increased my activity... quite a bit...
    I am now doing something everyday... injuries ( & weather ) permitting

• 6km runs on Monday, Wednesday & Friday
    • 6km walks on Tuesday & Thursday
    • 10km walks Saturday & Sunday

The challenge will be to keep this up once I'm back in the office... then the pounds will return ( unless I drop the beer intake )...

z

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    I haven't weighed myself in years - but if clothing and watches are anything to go by - I've may have actually lost a few pounds.
    I may have had a few more beers than pre-lockdown - but I have also increased my activity... quite a bit...
    I am now doing something everyday... injuries ( & weather ) permitting

• 6km runs on Monday, Wednesday & Friday
    • 6km walks on Tuesday & Thursday
    • 10km walks Saturday & Sunday

The challenge will be to keep this up once I'm back in the office... then the pounds will return ( unless I drop the beer intake )...

z
    Keep drinking the beer, buy some new trousers. Life's to short to punish yourself needlessly. ;-)
    F.T.F.A.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Far better a little weight gain than catch the virus and shed 2 clem in a fortnight.
    Clem as in stone? I've hoyed a few clemmies in my time. Probably a North East phrase.

Craftsman
    I finally weighed yesterday , been a crappy few months what with catching the 'rona (Probably) and losing my dad , I've put on 3 stone ! , Yes three stones, gone from a medium to a xl , my scales freaked out a bit as gaining so much in a short period but that comes from losing 10 stone over the last couple of years so my body was well adapted to packing on the pounds quickly. Been drinking far too much and no gym so cant blame anyone but myself but reckon most of it will be gone by end of August

Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    Clem as in stone? I've hoyed a few clemmies in my time. Probably a North East phrase.
    Why aye, hinny.
    F.T.F.A.

Craftsman
    My weight is stable, but I feel a lot fitter thanks to all the extra gardening and jobs around the house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    My work is manual labour so to speak. So it always worked with my calorie intake. At present though. Nope! 2000 calories of booze a night alone to account for. So I'm now walking 15km a day to try and sort things out. Once I get some suitable walking shorts I'll bump that up to an easy 20k a day. I'd like to get ack to a 32" waist. Currently 34 and don't like it.

If you’re managing 2000 calories a day in booze, please consider cutting back. That’s well over a bottle of scotch a day. Good luck with the waist loss though!

Started to gain weight at the start of lockdown with all the extra snacks and alcohol in those first 7 weeks. Added about a stone but for the last 3 weeks I’ve been doing Keto and I’ve dropped just over 22lbs. No hunger, no cravings just loads and loads of energy!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Chinnock View Post
    At the beginning alcohol was greatly consumed.

As my exposure to the news and other media sources has been greatly reduced, funnily enough so has my consumption.
    Best advice I was ever given:
    Reduce your media intake.

Other excellent advice I was given:
    If you don't feel like knocking out 10k at speed (and hardly anyone does) then go for a 500m walk. Once you get to the end, you might feel like completing 1km.

At the end of 1km, you might feel like a 200m slow run. Lots of my marathons in training started like this.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    2000 calories of booze a night alone to account for
    !!

So I'm now walking 15km a day to try and sort things out.
    !!!

I've put on a smidge. I don't attribute it to lockdown, but just the fantastic weather over the last two months. I'm reaching for a beer or two most evenings in the garden as the sun goes down, and that's had its effect. It's not going to stop me, as what could be nicer than a couple of chilled IPAs on warm spring nights.

My work is manual labour so to speak. So it always worked with my calorie intake. At present though. Nope! 2000 calories of booze a night alone to account for. So I'm now walking 15km a day to try and sort things out. Once I get some suitable walking shorts I'll bump that up to an easy 20k a day. I'd like to get ack to a 32" waist. Currently 34 and don't like it.
    15km walking a day isn't impossible but I would strongly recommend a different approach.

Even if you fast march it, you're looking at three hours a day.

Far better to increase your heart rate for shorter periods, and cut back on your calorific intake.

It won't be easy but don't keep it in the house if you shouldn't be eating or drinking it.

20km a day is a mental rather than physical challenge.

There is a scenario where your body will adjust to 20km a day, but you will need to be properly focused. Listen to Eddie Izzard, David Goggins and Cam Haynes for inspiration.

Good luck. I hope you're successful.
    Last edited by AlphaOmega; 30th May 2020 at 11:03.

Master
    Blog Entries

Lock down weight gain.

Funny enough my distance has dropped due to stopping training for Nijmegen. Back now running though and drinking less do pretty much the same weight. I alway fluctuate by a kilo or so anyway.
    Last edited by Middo; 31st May 2020 at 00:55.

Master
    Blog Entries
    For those looking at distance walking, get proper footwear and socks. If not you will pay for it later. I swear by a decent insole too.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    15km walking a day isn't impossible but I would strongly recommend a different approach.

Even if you fast march it, you're looking at three hours a day.

Far better to increase your heart rate for shorter periods, and cut back on your calorific intake.

It won't be easy but don't keep it in the house if you shouldn't be eating or drinking it.

20km a day is a mental rather than physical challenge.

There is a scenario where your body will adjust to 20km a day, but you will need to be properly focused. Listen to Eddie Izzard, David Goggins and Cam Haynes for inspiration.

Good luck. I hope you're successful.
    Been doing it for about 5 weeks with only a couple of down days. I find it an utter doddle. So much so that for the last 1.3km today I did it at a fast run. That was a mistake! I've not run in 13 years. My 15km walk takes me pretty much 2 hours on the dot. By the time I get home I need a mop and bucket. I consider it more of a work out than a walk. But since my shoes have broken in, no more blisters, fairly easy sailing. Even with new shoes, I found my 20km walks perfectly manageable. It just gives me a lot of time to clear my head and think.

You're walking at 7.5km/h for two hours?

IME that's more difficult than a slow run.

For me, the transition is around 6.5km/h and anything above 7km/h takes more effort to march quickly than run slowly.

Well, it sounds like it's working for you. That's great.

Master
    You're walking at 7.5km/h for two hours?

IME that's more difficult than a slow run.

For me, the transition is around 6.5km/h and anything above 7km/h takes more effort to march quickly than run slowly.

Well, it sounds like it's working for you. That's great.
    I push myself enough that at times I just figure I ought to be jogging. As I learned today though, my knees are not in good shape for that. It is indeed a very difficult form of walking, the focus is on pulling yourself forward rather than pushing yourself forward.

Getting a fantastic tan, but don't seem to be losing any weight. One of the few instances that makes me want to wear some kind of fitness band to see just how much I'm walking during a day in the kitchen. Iirc a colleague was seeing between 15 to 20k steps on an 8 hour shift during the summer.

Make sure you're well hydrated.

You can train yourself to drink less but I would suggest not playing with that side of things right now.

Then go to your kitchen and bin all the stuff you end up bingeing on. You may find it difficult to overeat protein, so that's a handy way to limit your intake.

Don't worry too much about weight, go by the way your clothes fit you.

Master
    Make sure you're well hydrated.

You can train yourself to drink less but I would suggest not playing with that side of things right now.

Then go to your kitchen and bin all the stuff you end up bingeing on. You may find it difficult to overeat protein, so that's a handy way to limit your intake.

Don't worry too much about weight, go by the way your clothes fit you.

I binge on booze, not good, I know, but I've my eronous reasons. I eat next to nothing. Never more than 1 meal per day.

Ok, well be careful. Hope things work out.

I gained weight before getting my prostate removed on 4/22. Been dieting since and I'm down from 216 to 197.

Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    I gained weight before getting my prostate removed on 4/22. Been dieting since and I'm down from 216 to 197.
    That's still a lot of kilos.

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    That's still a lot of kilos.
    A year or two ago I got down to 168 (my 'fighting' weight )!

I think Pacific is talking lbs rather than kg, Gyp.

Edit - unless it was your deadpan delivery, in which case I apologise for being slow!
    Last edited by AlphaOmega; 31st May 2020 at 14:30.

I think Pacific is talking lbs rather than kg, Gyp.

Edit - unless it was your deadpan delivery, in which case I apologise for being slow!
    Yes I know that lol hashtag smiley face

:-)

Sorry Gyp, I know you have a sharp sense of humour!

Even I fell for that delivery though. Superb.

Sorry Gyp, I know you have a sharp sense of humour!

Even I fell for that delivery though. Superb.
    <blush> oh, you guys </blush>

Anyway, I've not been home for over 12 weeks now, so I've not had chance to stand on the scales I use for reference.

I may do a socially-distanced visit next week, and might stand on the scales.

Then again, I might not. It could be too frightening.

Well, I took the opportunity to visit the family yesterday, got on the scales and discovered, much to my surprise, that I've actually lost 5lbs.

I feel heavier, and I suspect i lost a lot at the start of lock down and put it on (slightly differently) later, but overall the figure is down. Just need to keep it that way.

After only having a Casio GW-M5610 for the last 3 months, I also took the opportunity to pick up 2 of my "nice" watches, my Speedmaster and Bremont Airco, and both fitted with ease without me having to adjust a bracelet (omega) or change holes on the deployant (Bremont).

As that was the worry that started the thread, I am relieved, even if I've lost weight on my arms and gained in on my stomach!