closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Selling on eBay WTF?

Selling on eBay WTF?

So in the process of having a bit of a tidy up at last weekend I found a Mk V Golf alloy wheel centre cap we never fitted to my wife's old car, still in the bag it came in.

Rather than chuck it away I listed it on eBay, last Sunday.

So far it's had 80 views, has 4 watchers, I've had 5 offers, but there are no bids?

I've not sold anything via eBay for a couple of years, but doesn't anyone just bid on items anymore?

I didn't even offer "buy it now" as an option!
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Last couple of items I sold were the same.
    No bids, just offers. Seems to be more common now.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

The number of Auctions (as opposed to Buy IT now) listings on eBay is tiny. For me it's not unusual for a search to return over a thousand results, of which at most 5 or 6 are auctions.(An example: I have a search for "(variable,adjustable) power supply (5a,10a)" which currently (no pun intended) returns 1368 results, of which 2 are auctions and the other 1366 are Buy It Now only.

eBay have very much moved to the Amazon model - hence they try very hard to get sellers to include Make Offer, even on auction listings.

Plus, most people want something now (again, the Amazon next-day delivery model has changed expectations), not when the auction ends in however many days time. And the few people who will actually bid on auctions will be mostly using snipers, not manually bidding during of the auction.

eBay is a very different place to what it used to be a few years ago. (Plus, of course, you run the risk of getting a grotty old wheel centre returned to you in 179 days time with a SNAD case raised through PayPal...)

GLWTS :-)

Master
    Blog Entries
    I found even with buy it now ,I was getting a lot of offers some really low.

Most people probably use sniping tools nowadays, websites that automatically put your bids in for you in the dying seconds, reduces the risk of you being outbid

It’s all part and parcel of selling on a platform that reaches the Worlds biggest audience... you want real low ballers try listing on Facebook market place which seems to be taking a huge chunk out of EBay .. you get to meet the nicest of people..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I agree - Ebay has changed a fair bit.

I just list and forget about the stuff I want to sell. I've found that if I have odds and ends to sell I advertise it for seems to be a reasonable price (not to high - although this can make the process a bit of a chore to do the price research) compared to other auctions and just list it as a buy it now and let the auction automatically renew should it not sell.

For example - Recently one of my kids had a load of fairly expensive, unmarked, university books that I advertised for 60 - 70% less than the new price. not much interest initially and the auctions auto renewed and then one by one they were sold. Took a few weeks but they all went. Some to the US, a couple to Europe and Africa! I've done this with all my childrens (I have 4) Uni books and 90% went.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveM112 View Post
    It’s all part and parcel of selling on a platform that reaches the Worlds biggest audience... you want real low ballers try listing on Facebook market place which seems to be taking a huge chunk out of EBay .. you get to meet the nicest of people..

I tried Facebook marketplace once... once was enough.

Master
    eBay has been very kind to us lately, well not me but Mrs Macca has her own enterprise and it’s gone mad in lockdown, so much so I’m having to help out packaging and shipping all of it. BIN auctions are a waste of money if you ask me, start at the minimum price you want with offers turned on, you soon find offers fly in if you have something desirable, she sells a lot of salvage and interior design pieces and it would seem the world has gone mad for it.
    Also from a personal note I’ve been having a clear out of my childhood toys... I kid you not a pair of micro machines military lorry’s sold for 100 pounds ... nearly fell off my seat! Was a buyer in the states who offered me that, so I can sure relate to the title of eBay WTF

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Also from a personal note I’ve been having a clear out of my childhood toys... I kid you not a pair of micro machines military lorry’s sold for 100 pounds ... nearly fell off my seat! Was a buyer in the states who offered me that, so I can sure relate to the title of eBay WTF

LOL! On ebay last year, I also sold some micro machine military and the little bridge and a garage set. I was amazed how popular it was - went for a good price. I also sold an old Ninetendo N64 console with some games for about £150 that went to Sweden! I believe there is a lot of interest in the old stuff that they call 'vintage'! I was going to skip them but it seems a shame to add to landfill if people want it. I need to venture back in to 'dark space' called the attic for more gems!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddiex View Post
    LOL! On ebay last year, I also sold some micro machine military and the little bridge and a garage set. I was amazed how popular it was - went for a good price. I also sold an old Ninetendo N64 console with some games for about £150 that went to Sweden! I believe there is a lot of interest in the old stuff that they call 'vintage'! I was going to skip them but it seems a shame to add to landfill if people want it. I need to venture back in to 'dark space' called the attic for more gems!
    Ha well it was kind of forced on me by my mum, she cleared out her loft and dropped it at my house unannounced and the mrs basically said.. that’s not staying

Auctions are a risky business unless it's something that owes you nothing and you don't care what it sells for. Reserve prices cost now even if the item doesn't sell. Also any bids are always going to be in the last 2 mins anyway.

Far easier to list 'buy it now' slightly above what you want and haggle with anyone who puts an offer in.

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    I do use that occasionally. Some proper low-ballers there. I once tried to sell a bike for my son who was about 12 at the time, for £10.00 (it was quite good & probably worth £30) & we had chancers offered £5.00
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    I sold a car and drill through face book at least they seem to have all the halfwits and slimy chancers in the same place now

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Far easier to list 'buy it now' slightly above what you want and haggle with anyone who puts an offer in.
    This, for me.

But it does depend on the item. Some sorts of things sell best at BIN (or BIN+BO), some in pure auction, some (less often ime) in auction with BIN. All depends.

Having to even be aware of that merely (in my case) to move on old junk beggars belief but it's the way things naturally go. A new market arrives, at first people gave fun, but eventually it necessarily and naturally becomes cut throat, gamed, and develops its own psychological rules.

I haven’t used the auction option for a while, would probably only use it if I really don’t have a clear picture
    what something is really worth or I’m happy to sell it for whatever I can get.

Just sold all my camera gear and wanted to sell 2 cameras that came as kits with a lens plus included
    extra batteries and some other small bits with them (saves on postage and packing) because of this you
    limit your potential buyers as not everyone wants the kit and the extras so better list BIN and just be patient
    and wait for the right buyer. You could list the items separately and they would probably go quicker but also probably at slightly less in total.

If you are trying to sell something where there are quite a few similar items usually available if you auction for a week
    a lot of people will buy the ones that are listed BIN rather than wait to see if they might get yours at the price they
    would pay and you can end with not many people competing as it ends. I have noticed a few more people using
    2 day auctions recently and that seems to work well if it’s something that you know isn’t of limited appeal.

Quote Originally Posted by Brighty View Post
    Most people probably use sniping tools nowadays, websites that automatically put your bids in for you in the dying seconds, reduces the risk of you being outbid
    I think this is true - People delay bidding as long as possible, presumably in the hope of keeping the final price down, and even if you sit there bidding, you nearly always get sniped...

Looking for a decent BIN price seems more productive.

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    I think this is true - People delay bidding as long as possible, presumably in the hope of keeping the final price down, and even if you sit there bidding, you nearly always get sniped...

Looking for a decent BIN price seems more productive.

M
    hi, love sniping, always do it myself rather than automatic, won a nice fuji x20 for £80 on sunday.

Master
    Bid sniping is the future, that said I throw a few cheeky bids on things finishing at odd times and have won some amazing bargains, while new exhaust for my disco td5 for a tenner last week!

I never make a silly or insulting offer, wasting my time and the sellers, but will put a low bid on rather than watch an item, takes the same time and minimal effort, and who knows, I may win it?

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    I never make a silly or insulting offer, wasting my time and the sellers,
    If it is an item that is not in short supply with a snipping tool you are not wasting your time...

I recently put an offer in to a chap selling a subwoofer. He rejected my offer outright but came back after a couple of days to accept it.
    Worked out well for me 😁

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    I recently put an offer in to a chap selling a subwoofer. He rejected my offer outright but came back after a couple of days to accept it.
    Worked out well for me 😁
    Hi. I've made offers on stuff higher than the reserve and had them refused, then bid on the item and won it for lower than my offer.

If it is an item that is not in short supply with a snipping tool you are not wasting your time...
    I have used sniping tools in the past and what you say is very true. However the problem I found with them is this: if it is an item that is very common you bid on one with the tool, and if your bid is not high enough at the end you have to start the ball rolling all over again, but if you do it to multiples of the same item you risk winning multiple identical items. Of course just putting low bids in and sitting back has exactly the same potential issues, but at least if you win multiples they are cheap.

Craftsman
    Popular quality items and brands still get sold for good prices.

I sold a leaking Miele washing machine (sold spares or repair) for over £200. Buyer was taking it back to Poland to get it fixed and installed there. My wife wanted me to take it to the dump, glad I didn't.

Islabikes fetch within £50 of the original brand new prices paid and go for £200+. Frog bikes hold their value well too.

However the problem I found with them is this: if it is an item that is very common you bid on one with the tool, and if your bid is not high enough at the end you have to start the ball rolling all over again, but if you do it to multiples of the same item you risk winning multiple identical items
    Most of the better snipers (such as Gixen or JBidWatcher) allow you to set up Groups such that as soon as you win one auction in the group, it will no longer bid on any other items in that group.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK View Post
    Most of the better snipers (such as Gixen or JBidWatcher) allow you to set up Groups such that as soon as you win one auction in the group, it will no longer bid on any other items in that group.
    Wow, really? It was probably at least five or six years ago I last used a sniper programme, none of that back in the dark ages lol. That is good info thanks, I'll take another look at sniper programmes now for sure.

While FB market place can have it's own class of undesirables I've actually found it really good for clearing stuff out. No fees and it keeps it nice and local. I've sold many things, often delivering them myself and people are always polite and grateful.

Ebay has given me more problems with people raising disputes about things and send back empty packets. I pretty much exclusively list as a BIN on ebay now if I do use it.

As a seller I prefer buy it now with offers, it allows you to filter out time wasters.

There has always been one rule to bidding on ebay, it hasn't changed in 20 years, bid once, bid late, bid your max

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    There has always been one rule to bidding on ebay, it hasn't changed in 20 years, bid once, bid late, bid your max
    Spot on.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    The amount of times I've told my wife this only to find she has stuck her max bid on with 5 days to go on something and it's not a realistic 'max'. She always moans that someone has outbid her but then doing it the way I suggest is 'too much pressure, I'll click the wrong thing'. I told her just to buy stuff new in the end. Save the hassle.

Master
    In general when I list things it is BIN with best offer and usually accept a price lower than the BIN but in the region of what I would have accepted as a reserve price had I set it as an auction.

The only items I list for auction are generally the ones I find it hard to put a price on or something which doesn't attract much interest with BIN but I am keen to sell! I don't set a reserve but set the starting price at the sort of figure I would set as a reserve.

Not sure about the make an offer option on auctions. As an above poster said, I once placed an offer of £75 on an item with a starting price of £50 which I thought was worth maybe £80-90. Was rejected but then I went on to win the auction for £58 ish as it ended at a strange time! Used that format recently for an item which wasn't selling and accepted an offer slightly below my start price to avoid the potential of the auction ending with no bidders and no £1 fee offer reappearing for a while!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Auctions are a risky business unless it's something that owes you nothing and you don't care what it sells for. Reserve prices cost now even if the item doesn't sell. Also any bids are always going to be in the last 2 mins anyway.

I use this method now if I have to use eBay - far easier to get a sale and much quicker.

Wow, really? It was probably at least five or six years ago I last used a sniper programme, none of that back in the dark ages lol. That is good info thanks, I'll take another look at sniper programmes now for sure.

Yes - so I might see 50 auctions of an item and If I win one it will not bid on the others.

Yes - so I might see 50 auctions of an item and If I win one it will not bid on the others.
    That's excellent, thank you.

Master
    I always list as an auction but with a high buy it now price. For example bought a bike on ebay for £100 in February, but it was too large for me. Finally got round to listing it last night to resell. Auction starting at £80, with Buy It Now at £250. 2 hours later I received an offer of £200 then a few seconds later someone else bought it for £250.

Having a high buy it now price has 2 benefits, 1 makes the auction price look cheap and also panics people into Buying Now because they don't want to miss out by waiting for the auction to end.

Got a Wii, Wii Fit and loads of other accessories to sell next, will be doing the same.

Quote Originally Posted by ViperStripes View Post
    I always list as an auction but with a high buy it now price. For example bought a bike on ebay for £100 in February, but it was too large for me. Finally got round to listing it last night to resell. Auction starting at £80, with Buy It Now at £250. 2 hours later I received an offer of £200 then a few seconds later someone else bought it for £250.

Having a high buy it now price has 2 benefits, 1 makes the auction price look cheap and also panics people into Buying Now because they don't want to miss out by waiting for the auction to end.

Got a Wii, Wii Fit and loads of other accessories to sell next, will be doing the same.
    It used to be that if someone made a bid then the BIN option disappeared, is that still the same?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by TBKBABAB View Post
    It used to be that if someone made a bid then the BIN option disappeared, is that still the same?
    No the BIN option remains if someone makes a bid, but I think the “make an offer” will be automatically rejected.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Harleyrider View Post
    No the BIN option remains if someone makes a bid, but I think the “make an offer” will be automatically rejected.

Buy it now can vanish as it happens but only if the bidding overtakes the buy it now price, why people do that is beyond daft but it does happen

Bids came in right at the end as expected. Item sold for 2.5 times the best offer.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57