closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Golf is back ---yaaaaaay!

Quote Originally Posted by leo1790 View Post
    Just got back from playing 18, backs in pieces and I'm currently lying down. I thought a break would do me good.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

You are not the only one. Hopefully I will be full recovered before I play again on Friday.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Two balls only in Cambridgeshire area after we moved into Tier 4... my home course has been super busy and extremely wet lately. I know it's similar in most London courses at the moment, anyone has better luck at the moment? :)

Same at our club..... 2 balls only. Our online booking system opens at 7am for 9 days in advance. The sheet was full at 7.07!

Master
    Our tee sheet opens at 6.45pm for the slots seven days in advance... its chaos and fills up in less than a minute (especially for weekends). Ive managed a few rounds but two balls only here too (north Herts)

Golf is back ---yaaaaaay!

We are know down to two balls at Ashbourne in Derbyshire. 7pm on Tuesdays for the following Saturday. If you want Am youve got be on the ball to the second when the BRS booking system opens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    As above but we only have 9 holes open so its making the tee sheet even more congested.

Y'all are crazy, mad, dedicated or bored to be braving the cold for a round. Kudos to you!

I'll be fine with range sessions till the weather improves!

Member off 2 courses and cant get a tee time unless you stay up until midnight to try and get one, 7 day advance booking here ?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    2 balls only as per Tier 4 regs but with the gaps between tee times reduced to 6 minutes. The general,idea is that you dont take provisional shots and if you hit a ball clearly OOB or its not findable after a minutes search you drop a ball and get on with it.Members only unless there are any spaces a couple of days before. I have never seen so many people booking tee times on any course at this time of the year....they are rammed.

Update - I've resorted to playing 9 holes from past 2 PM on some days where there're one or two slots left. 7 day advanced booking here as well and as above they are usually gone within minutes.

While my previous post didn't age too well... back to the net in the garden

Craftsman
    Are ranges still open?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chinese_Alan View Post
    Are ranges still open?
    Nope - nothing. Unless youre in Scotland

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    Which is a reversal from last year, so its hard to understand the logic. Still, our club has been closed due to weather and is in garbage condition so if its going to close again better to do it now during winter.

Master
    Makes no sense given you can exercise in pairs but it's a broad rule and I wasn't expecting anything more well thought out.

My course went carry bags only today. Typically I popped over to the pro shop and bought one. Ah well.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sevvy View Post
    Which is a reversal from last year, so its hard to understand the logic. Still, our club has been closed due to weather and is in garbage condition so if its going to close again better to do it now during winter.
    There is no logic really. You can walk round the course with your golfing buddy, but not actually hit a ball. Makes no sense but I guess its just simpler to blanket-ban outdoor activities. For example if golf was permitted and tennis banned, you would have the tennis fans up in arms.

Ultimately in the grand scheme of things it doesnt matter, and is a drop in the ocean of our collective troubles. But Ill miss my club and hobby over the coming few weeks

Angry

The membership I started on the 11th Dec is currently not looking like my best investment...
    Waterlogged and shut for most of the last 3 weeks and now proper closed.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Meesterbond View Post
    The membership I started on the 11th Dec is currently not looking like my best investment...
    Waterlogged and shut for most of the last 3 weeks and now proper closed.
    Yep I renewed a couple of weeks ago and paid the lot up front. A couple of the lads actually paid today which was probably even more painful!!!

Quote Originally Posted by deepreddave View Post
    Makes no sense given you can exercise in pairs but it's a broad rule and I wasn't expecting anything more well thought out.
    This is the bit that just dont get. I can walk round the course, I just cant take my clubs.

Yep I renewed a couple of weeks ago and paid the lot up front. A couple of the lads actually paid today which was probably even more painful!!!
    Is your club rolling the closed months into the membership period? For example, my clubs renewal month is April so last year they said everybody who renewed would get any closed months (April 2020-March 2021) added on to the next years renewal. So, if the course was closed for 4 months and you renewed April 2021 that membership period would be for 16 months. That way they encouraged renewal (and therefore income) but the members also would be rewarded for supporting the club. Plus they threw some free guest passes & buggy rentals into the deal.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    Is your club rolling the closed months into the membership period? For example, my clubs renewal month is April so last year they said everybody who renewed would get any closed months (April 2020-March 2021) added on to the next years renewal. So, if the course was closed for 4 months and you renewed April 2021 that membership period would be for 16 months. That way they encouraged renewal (and therefore income) but the members also would be rewarded for supporting the club. Plus they threw some free guest passes & buggy rentals into the deal.
    Theyve frozen the fee for 2021 and returned a smallish amount via our bar cards. But nothing as generous as your club - youve done well there. Is your place private?

I imagine they will have to do something a bit more meaningful this time round to be honest. Well see.

Master
    No refund of fees by my club and I'm not expecting any. Last year's lockdown hit the visitor income and bar takings significantly resulting in a substantial loss for this financial year which will be met from capital funds. I suspect many smaller clubs will be in a similar position and that for some it will have major lasting consequences.

Craftsman
    Jeez. Theyve been packed around here over the Xmas period due to most courses being waterlogged.

Is your place private?

No but its well supported. The 7 day membership is full and the 5 day is damn near full. They didnt raise the membership fee last April either.
    There is a bit of work going on at the moment which might be actually creating money for the club. There are two new holes under construction (both par 4s I believe) which means a rubbish short par 4 will be removed and a pars 3 & par 4 elsewhere on the course be combined into one,improved par 4 hole. There are also plans for a new clubhouse.
    When they were digging an enormous hole they hit a massive deposit of sand...really big. That sand is being excavated (and its creating a mountain) for use in landscaping etc. This saves the club buying in lorryloads of sand. What it also means is that the hole needs filling so there are a nearly constant steam of lorrys turning up from construction projects etc around the area loaded up with soil etc that they need to dump. These go in the hole to reform the land and they pay the club something like 60 a lorry to do so. Its creating quite a bit of cash.

Master
    No but its well supported. The 7 day membership is full and the 5 day is damn near full. They didnt raise the membership fee last April either.
    There is a bit of work going on at the moment which might be actually creating money for the club. There are two new holes under construction (both par 4s I believe) which means a rubbish short par 4 will be removed and a pars 3 & par 4 elsewhere on the course be combined into one,improved par 4 hole. There are also plans for a new clubhouse.
    When they were digging an enormous hole they hit a massive deposit of sand...really big. That sand is being excavated (and its creating a mountain) for use in landscaping etc. This saves the club buying in lorryloads of sand. What it also means is that the hole needs filling so there are a nearly constant steam of lorrys turning up from construction projects etc around the area loaded up with soil etc that they need to dump. These go in the hole to reform the land and they pay the club something like 60 a lorry to do so. Its creating quite a bit of cash.
    Yeah our club did exactly this a few years ago; the dumped soil was seeded and turned into our driving range and a 6 hole academy course. Smart move...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ian1977 View Post
    Do you think they might lift the restrictions on golf in England and follow Scotland
    Doubt it, unfortunately

There is no logic really. You can walk round the course with your golfing buddy, but not actually hit a ball. Makes no sense but I guess its just simpler to blanket-ban outdoor activities. For example if golf was permitted and tennis banned, you would have the tennis fans up in arms.

Ultimately in the grand scheme of things it doesnt matter, and is a drop in the ocean of our collective troubles. But Ill miss my club and hobby over the coming few weeks
    That's how I feel, I've not played around since November as we are pretty much flooded in Essex. Carry only and only nine holes at my course until, today.
    I've been putting in the garage and swing in the garden when its not raining. I fear it will be Spring before we all get out again, but there certainly are more serious things to consider at the moment.

Master
    Like others have said its crazy that we can’t play, so many contradictions in the rules, we can go to a garden centre and mix with goodness how many people, but can’t play a round. For me Golf has been a godsend, I’ve managed to get out most weeks, if not 9 holes I’ve been at the driving range most nights, really has helped mentally whacking some balls.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by Rob153; 5th January 2021 at 15:22.

Master
    No refund of fees by my club and I'm not expecting any. Last year's lockdown hit the visitor income and bar takings significantly resulting in a substantial loss for this financial year which will be met from capital funds. I suspect many smaller clubs will be in a similar position and that for some it will have major lasting consequences.
    Same here no refunds as expected tbh
    Club was down about 450,000 in visitor fees and think overall loss was over 200k for the year .
    Tough times for many clubs.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    Same here no refunds as expected tbh
    Club was down about 450,000 in visitor fees and think overall loss was over 200k for the year .
    Tough times for many clubs.
    Wow, think our respective figures were 100k and 80k. Given most golf clubs make small profits at the best of times it'll take a long time to recover the losses, as increasing membership fees potentially results in less income as members don't renew.

Master
    Wow, think our respective figures were 100k and 80k. Given most golf clubs make small profits at the best of times it'll take a long time to recover the losses, as increasing membership fees potentially results in less income as members don't renew.
    Yes theyre huge losses - ours were nowhere near as heavy.

Now the concern must be renewals. I fear lots wont bother as golf isnt coming back for a couple of months at least... worrying times

Early figures were bad for my club, but recovered very strongly to be up year on year.

They didn't do a lot with visitors historically, but when lockdown 1 ended there was record green fees.

Also, loads of people (like me) who were WFH signed up as members for the first time. I now have a handicap for the first time since I was 19.

Yes theyre huge losses - ours were nowhere near as heavy.

Now the concern must be renewals. I fear lots wont bother as golf isnt coming back for a couple of months at least... worrying times

Our clubs renewal time is 1st April, so hopefully things will be back to normal (from a golfing perspective). There is a petition running at the moment to allow golf to be considered a permitted activity during lockdown.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Not trying to hijack the thread, but there is a petition to parliament to re-open golf courses, if anyone is interested;

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/557167

Quote Originally Posted by Ticker View Post
    Not trying to hijack the thread, but there is a petition to parliament to re-open golf courses, if anyone is interested;

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/557167
    Signed - long shot (judging by the petition during lockdown 2.0)... but fingers crossed anyway:( Thanks for sharing

Wanted.....short game.
    Last seen early December.
    If found please return.

I went scuba diving on Monday.

A lot of people were also keen to be diving too, so it was busy, but it was nice to be back in the water.

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    I went scuba diving on Monday.

A lot of people were also keen to be diving too, so it was busy, but it was nice to be back in the water.

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    And was it difficult to hit the golf ball very far in the water?

It would have been hard to see where the ball went! Especially on the second dive.

Either way, it's nice to be able to do a little of what we each enjoy

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    You could always ask this man...

Ive played 3 days in a row since Monday - and weather has been brilliant. My game is in absolute shambles but couldnt be happier. Also worth mentioning that at no point in the past 3 days was I within 50 yards of anyone else (conservatively) other than my father whom I played with...

Enjoy!

Last edited by tommyzzj; 31st March 2021 at 21:10.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyzzj View Post
    Ive played 3 days in a role since Monday - and weather has been brilliant.
    Certainly has 😁

Quote Originally Posted by Binsull View Post
    Certainly has 😁

Crikey I can barely see the fairway! And what a lovely view

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyzzj View Post
    Crikey I can barely see the fairway!

It's there, and you are fine as long as you don't top it, slice it or hook it 🤣

Monday & tonight for me, much better tonight. Just an absolute joy to be out there

Master
    Played 9 this morning. Loved it. The course was lovely and surprisingly quiet.

Quote Originally Posted by gerrudd View Post
    Played 9 this morning. Loved it. The course was lovely and surprisingly quiet.
    I played Tuesday and was very surprised by how quiet it was. My body was aching massively though, rediscovering all those golf muscles!

Wanted.....short game.
    Last seen early December.
    If found please return.
    Jup same issue, under 75 yards was an absolute horror show.

Master
    I played on Tuesday and was pretty awful too. My short game is usually strong but it was well off. Was absolutely brilliant to be back out though!

Out Tuesday to a surprisingly quiet course. All the traffic on Monday according to the pro.

Played quite well shooting just over my handicap. Burnt out fast on the last few holes and hands raw off new grips. Great to be back out!

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    You are not the only one. Hopefully I will be full recovered before I play again on Friday.
    I strained my groin down the driving range! I'm off 7.30 on Saturday, going to be freezing. I'm taking hot coffee and a heated vest! I'm not going to over do it first time out!!