closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bremont Oxbridge

Craftsman

Bremont Oxbridge

Thoughts on this ? I think as a graduation gift q watch is a great idea but not really sold on the university logo on the dial.

https://www.oxbridgewatches.com/coll...-bracelet-blue

Thats actually one of the nicest Bremont's i've seen in a long while, if you have attended Oxford then even better...

Oh God, no!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    Thats actually one of the nicest Bremont's i've seen in a long while, if you have attended Oxford then even better...
    If you haven't attended, what is the educational version of a Walt?

Craftsman
    Is there any connection between Bremont and the university? If not then it seems a bit random, just slapping the logo on the dial of a bog standard watch.

Only tourists wear a University of Oxford logo.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Lusty View Post
    Is there any connection between Bremont and the university? If not then it seems a bit random, just slapping the logo on the dial of a bog standard watch.
    I don't think so. The company that is commissioning them just seems to have a licensing agreement with both Oxford and Cambridge and bremont.
    I quite like the dial minus the university logo.

Peregrinatores sunt pecuniae.

Master
    They are an Oxfordshire based company but I’m not sure of other links. They support the regatta at Henley-on-Thames. That watch is pretty terrible for me though

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Rather than Bremont Oxbridge, make that a Bremont watch from their U of Oxford line.

On sale via the Oxbridge Watches site. Other options are available...link.

See also...link.

Craftsman
    Think it fits into the same category as those Raymond Weil efforts like the Jimi Hendrix watch, there's just no real story behind it and no reason for them to be making it.

I don't mind some of the Bremont tie ins they do, things like the codebreaker where they used material from Bletchley Park and a portion of the profits go to charity, and there's some real detail behind it. But this is just a logo on a dial by the looks of it.

Even as a graduate of Oxford University, I wouldn’t buy one.

This isn’t a direct release from Bremont...

I’m pretty sure the Oxbridge Watch company was set up by a RAF typhoon pilot. I think he was involved putting together a Typhoon squadron watch with Bremont and then by negotiating the rights to use Oxbridge crests, he set the company up. Kind of like a commercial version of putting together a squadron watch...Bremont will happily print what you like on the dial as long as you order enough of them.
    Last edited by Christian; 12th May 2020 at 21:31.

Master
    A bit naff in my books. I wonder whom they're aimed at.

Blog Entries
    Anyone who went to Oxford and wasted 3K on that had a wasted education.
    Bremont’s “associations” are such that i am waiting for the Bellmarsh one
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

I’d like one with that logo on one side of the dial, the Royal Marines commando logo on the other side, and an etched lunar lander on the back. The Walter Mitty special edition!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ColDaspin View Post
    There are quite a few RAF guys who volunteer to take a year out and do an MA at Cambridge in a defence related subject. In my experience, these are the guys who like to tell others of their connection to oxbridge.

Craftsman
    Wow, that's one ugly watch...

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

The moneyed parents of Oxbridge students?

Thomas Reid
    I have two college ties: one striped, one with the cardinal's hat. Never worn either, however. :)

Best wishes,
    Bob

Tenuous and Horrendous.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Even as a graduate of Oxford University, I wouldn’t buy one.
    This

Also true that most people in Oxford (and elsewhere) wearing Oxford University branded items are tourists. Nothing wrong with that specifically but rather different buying a £10 hat than a £3k watch so not sure who will buy them...

I think I have a college branded scarf and hoody somewhere but haven't worn them since I was a student!

Another unrelated tie-in limited edition from the absolute masters of unrelated tie-in limited editioners...

Master
    I'll wait until the Rolex Polytechnic of Wales Special Edition...

Sent from my SM-A202F using TZ-UK mobile app

The other thing is, I think most alumni associate primarily with their college...not the University. After all, the college is where you lived, took tutorials, partied etc. I can understand a college tie, scarf etc, but I can’t see a reason to buy something with the crest of the organisation that provided shared facilities like labs and set your exams.

Craftsman
    I did go to Oxford and this being my personal preference, I wouldn't get one of these.

The University is made up of 30 or so individual colleges which organise teaching, each with their own emblem/crest. Students and academic staff are attached to each college. When I was there, if we were getting branded stuff, like ties, scarfs, sports kit, the culture was that we would get stuff specific to the college that we were a member of.

This is a long way of saying that anyone wearing a "University of Oxford" sweatshirt at Oxford was probably not a student because a student would more likely to be wearing a Christ Church, St Johns or Balliol sweatshirt which matches the college they went to. I've got the tie which matches my college, but not one for the University.

So having a watch with the University crest on, but not the college crest makes it less attractive to me.

Other strikes against it are lack of connection between the brand and the University, the crest makes the dial look cluttered, and the cost. I get that you would want the tie and cuff links but as a momento, £3,000 is too much for me.

Sent from my TA-1012 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    The other thing is, I think most alumni associate primarily with their college...not the University. After all, the college is where you lived, took tutorials, partied etc. I can understand a college tie, scarf etc, but I can’t see a reason to buy something with the crest of the organisation that provided shared facilities like labs and set your exams.
    Christian, you said it better than I did.

Sent from my TA-1012 using Tapatalk

As I say, it’s not for me but the company is genuine, fair play to him, here’s the info for anyone who is interested in buying one. I’d actually forgotten about the business schools...Said Business School in Oxford and Judge Business School in Cambridge. I was always confused as to how they fit in with the whole collegiate system. Maybe thats the market for a Uni crest over College crest?

Forged
    in the heart of Cambridge, Oxbridge Watches was founded by Owen Thompson, a Royal Air Force fighter pilot with a passion for precision engineering. While studying at the University of Cambridge Judge Business School, it became clear that there was a hunger for an exclusive limited edition time-piece for students, staff and alumni alike; shortly afterward, Oxbridge Watches was born with the vision of not just providing high-end university mementos, but limited edition unique time-pieces, that could be cherished for a lifetime and passed on as a legacy from generation to generation. The company has since gone from strength to strength, with several more licenses and sponsorship opportunities nearing completion.

In 2018, Oxbridge Watches secured an exclusive worldwide licensing deal to distribute limited-edition watches for the staff, students and alumni of the University of Cambridge. Continuing the theme of ‘best of British’, Oxbridge watches has gone further and partnered with Bremont, an award-winning British company producing beautifully engineered chronometers at their headquarters in Henley-on-Thames, England.
    As the range expands, you can expect to see more limited edition time-pieces for universities and also worldwide sporting events, along with bespoke accessories for both. Be sure to register for email updates and be the first to know!

Last edited by Christian; 12th May 2020 at 22:32.

Master
    There are quite a few RAF guys who volunteer to take a year out and do an MA at Cambridge in a defence related subject. In my experience, these are the guys who like to tell others of their connection to oxbridge.
    Agreed. I had a thought on the same lines i.e. foreign students doing MAs, PhDs etc. who might want a souvenir of their time there.

Agreed. I had a thought on the same lines i.e. foreign students doing MAs, PhDs etc. who might want a souvenir of their time there.
    Definitely not undergrads I think - I've seen them advertised in the Cambridge Alum magazines and have cringed seeing them. As mentioned above, it's your college which you're more linked to, not the Uni per sae. I only went as far as college cufflinks - the most linkage I'm comfortable wearing. Heck even the college branded scarf was swiftly discarded after graduating!

If I saw that watch on someone's wrist, I'd assume the Oxford connection was that they bought it in Oxford Street.

I'm hoping they bring out a pair of shoes with a compass in the heel.

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    If I saw that watch on someone's wrist, I'd assume the Oxford connection was that they bought it in Oxford Street.

I'm hoping they bring out a pair of shoes with a compass in the heel.
    I had some of those when I was about 6. I think they were called Wayfinders. They also had a selection of animal prints on the sole. Think they should bring 'em back.

Quote Originally Posted by Jdh1 View Post
    I had some of those when I was about 6. I think they were called Wayfinders. They also had a selection of animal prints on the sole. Think they should bring 'em back.
    Wayfinders! Yes. Well remembered.

I wasn't lucky enough to have a pair.

I really wanted a Star Wars watch but that wasn't forthcoming either.

When I went to Cambridge the Judge Business School did not exist (or if it did it had nothing to do with undergrads or research students), so I was quite surprised to see that it actually is part of the university, albeit a recent one.
    Having represented the university at sport, I do have some university crested kit, a tie, my old training hoodie and a blues scarf, but most of what little stuff I have is college based.
    I shan't be buying a watch.
    Having done so also means I have a total disregard to anything Ox-bridge, the two universities are quite different and there is a relatively healthy animosity between the two of them. Conflating them is generally only done by people not involved in either one.

D

Quote Originally Posted by rfrazier View Post
    I have two college ties, one with the cardinal's hat.
    One late autumn Friday, when I was in my 20s, and still semiderelict, at best, I was on the 1700 service from Paddington to Gloucestershire. As I wandered down the packed train, I passed one of those, attached to a middle aged neck. "Ah, House," I said. A couple of minutes later I was being offered a job. Yeugh.

Thomas Reid
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    One late autumn Friday, when I was in my 20s, and still semiderelict, at best, I was on the 1700 service from Paddington to Gloucestershire. As I wandered down the packed train, I passed one of those, attached to a middle aged neck. "Ah, House," I said. A couple of minutes later I was being offered a job. Yeugh.
    Great story! Perhaps, when we can get out and about again, I should wear one and hang about the city and see what happens.

Best wises,
    Bob

Master
    Bremont will happily print what you like on the dial as long as you order enough of them.
    I wonder what the minimum order is. Who’s up for a Bremont Cock & Balls??

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    If you haven't attended, what is the educational version of a Walt?
    Dolt.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bob, can I recommend you wear more than just a tie? Otherwise you might find yourself exceedingly popular.

By the way, when you used to say 'These are the good old days', you were right.

Why would you need a watch like this? Anyone who has been to Oxford is legally obligated to tell you that within minutes of meeting them.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Looks like he has invested a bit of cash in this as they have built ( or ordered) 100 units. The only way he can assure the issue number is if they are actually made. Nice few orders there for Bremont from the Oxbridge watches company.

- - - Updated - - -

[QUOTE=reggie747;5413836]Another unrelated tie-in limited edition from the absolute masters of unrelated tie-in limited editioners...

QUOTE]

You really don't understand how this works.

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    Why would you need a watch like this? Anyone who has been to Oxford is legally obligated to tell you that within minutes of meeting them.
    Easy Tiger!

Christian - ref the business schools, at Oxford Said (formerly Templeton College) there is college membership associated, so for example an undergrad or someone on an MBA program would be a member of the college, and their Alumni status is college (university) first, OSBS second, even though there were a healthy number of OSBS jackets and rucksacks sported around the city before lockdown.

I can understand his logic. Pride associated with being ex-RAF, hence the Bremont Aircrew watches with RAF insignia. But that doesn't translate in this case.

Previously purchasing the University branded watches were restricted to graduates. I still struggle to see a graduate buying one of these, when for the price there are a myriad of better things available. And I hope that he really has got the University's permission to use the logo otherwise he'll be in a world of IP pain.

Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    Another unrelated tie-in limited edition from the absolute masters of unrelated tie-in limited editioners...

QUOTE]

You really don't understand how this works.
    No, I guess not...

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Peregrinatores sunt pecuniae.
    infra dignitatem

As an Airco owner, I have to say that it's one of my favourite watches, is well proportioned, a little smaller than most Bremonts, feels great and gets a lot of wrist time.

The oxbridge versions are horrid and tacky though. I love the straightforward watch (especially on leather) but not this. Yuk!

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    You're thinking of vegans.

Wayfinders! Yes. Well remembered.

I wasn't lucky enough to have a pair.

I really wanted a Star Wars watch but that wasn't forthcoming either.
    Edit - it wasn't forthcoming because I was 22 at the time.

I've just quoted myself.

That means I'm either a cad, a narcissist or a tech luddite.

Or all three.

Does it run on ‘Oxford Time’ - 5 minutes past London time I seem to recall

Hideous watch

My eldest went to Oxford. Cost me an Explorer 1 (long story, but I had to come good on a promise I made to him when he was 11 - which funnily he didn’t forget)

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

You're thinking of vegans.
    And pilots, and MPs ...

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    No, I guess not...
    My point is someone has approached Bremont and commission them to produced them ( numbered batch of 100 in this case). It’s not Bremont ‘rinsing out’ another LE.