Thread: Bremont Oxbridge

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    You're thinking of vegans.
    Surely a lot of Overlap these days?

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    Surely a lot of Overlap these days?
    Good point, well made.

Quote Originally Posted by Middo View Post
    It’s not Bremont ‘rinsing out’ another LE.
    Well.............that would be a pleasant change wouldn't it ? But you do understand that my comment is based on the countless dozens that they've already "rinsed out", and will no doubt continue to do so.

Which ever way you look at it, Bremont are the undisputed L.E. Kings, I think that's beyond doubt.

Perhaps an owner could wear it in rotation with his Breitling Aerospace Red Arrows, Omega Seamaster SBS, JLC Navy Seals and Casio G Shock NASA. Oh and his Air King Domino's Pizza.

Thomas Reid
    Quote Originally Posted by tertius View Post
    And pilots, and MPs ...
    Not philosophers, however. Tell someone that you are a philosopher, and often what you get in return is "well then, I'm sure that you would be interested in my philosophy of life!" or "what is your philosophy of life?".

Best wishes,
    Bob

Master
    AFAIR an alumni tie costs about 30 quid. Much more cost effective.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Robsmck View Post
    AFAIR an alumni tie costs about 30 quid. Much more cost effective.
    Not nearly as obvious though.

What about a facial tattoo? Would certainly impress recruiters.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    Well.............that would be a pleasant change wouldn't it ? But you do understand that my comment is based on the countless dozens that they've already "rinsed out", and will no doubt continue to do so.

Which ever way you look at it, Bremont are the undisputed L.E. Kings, I think that's beyond doubt.
    They are selling watches though and that is key for a young company, I doubt many other manufactures would have turned the order down. Some of the recent LE's have been uninspiring and not a fan, however I would put omega and Seiko above them for the LE crown.

Oh dear. More expensive tat from my favourite brand.
    Anyone found documentary evidence of the real M. Bremont yet?

^Yes. The thing that impresses me about Omega and the Speedmaster in particular is the way they restrict their limited edition models. Literally only a few of each make their way to market. Such a rarity.

Certain comments about Bremont may have been faintly amusing many moons ago, now they just seemed tired and tiresome. Watch is ok if one wants to spend that kind of money and are alumni but that color is not for me.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Certain comments about Bremont may have been faintly amusing many moons ago, now they just seemed tired and tiresome. Watch is ok if one wants to spend that kind of money and are alumni but that color is not for me.
    Why should anyone settle for ok?

Master
    Not nearly as obvious though.

What about a facial tattoo? Would certainly impress recruiters.
    Perhaps in the middle of the forhead? Or upper cheek?

Why should anyone settle for ok?
    They shouldn’t but it I don’t find it bad. If I were an alumni and it were available in black, may be I would consider it.
    I am not saying they HAVE to buy it, but I don’t find it shabby/horrible/revolting etc. If someone does find it revolting, that’s ok too. First part of my comment was about the usual drivel that every Bremont thread evokes.

Quote Originally Posted by Robsmck View Post
    Perhaps in the middle of the forhead? Or upper cheek?

Try both.
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    They shouldn’t but it I don’t find it bad. If I were an alumni and it were available in black, may be I would consider it.
    I am not saying they HAVE to buy it, but I don’t find it shabby/horrible/revolting etc. If someone does find it revolting, that’s ok too. First part of my comment was about the usual drivel that every Bremont thread evokes.
    I quite like Bremont. I used to visit their shop in town fairly regularly and they were much more welcoming than other places. It's just this watch.

Alright, and the other ones with bits of historical entities embedded.

I quite like Bremont. I used to visit their shop in town fairly regularly and they were much more welcoming than other places. It's just this watch.

Alright, and the other ones with bits of historical entities embedded.
    Entirely fair.

It really is stuff like this which drags down the reputation of British brands. Endless limited editions and hanging on the coat tails of anything people associate with the UK. Brands like CW are no better I am waiting for the HP sauce and Big Ben limited editions sold in tourist shops for £9.99

Bremont are a respectable watch company that make very good watches. Please concentrate on doing just that and not trying to flog tourist trinkets.

Master
    I had a bremont MB2 for a bit, quite liked it but could never imagine my picking it out of the watch box in preference to the exp2. Kept good time, seemed well made and finished, and good value 2nd hand.
    I would like to try the s300 at some point, but difficult for me to try one as no nearby AD.
    But these Oxbridge branded ones leave me totally cold.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    It really is stuff like this which drags down the reputation of British brands. Endless limited editions and hanging on the coat tails of anything people associate with the UK. Brands like CW are no better I am waiting for the HP sauce and Big Ben limited editions sold in tourist shops for £9.99

Bremont are a respectable watch company that make very good watches. Please concentrate on doing just that and not trying to flog tourist trinkets.
    It’s not Bremont who are trying to flog them. The ex blue suit has started a company and gone to Bremont a numbered batch of 100.

It’s not Bremont who are trying to flog them. The ex blue suit has started a company and gone to Bremont a numbered batch of 100.
    Are you a Bremont fanboy ?? You're making enough noise to suggest so...

I mean, that's not a crime in itself, of course.

And Bremont should have said no!

I was considering a particular project watch, but I think this has pretty much done it for me with the Bremont brand.

As far as I can see, Middo is simply correcting the false assumption that this is Bremont directly producing this...which it is not. An individual has set up a company, has bought the right to add the crests and has approached Bremont to manufacture a batch of 100.

From my days involved with Squadron editions, Bremont used to give the largest discount of all the brands if you ordered enough. IIRC, including VAT, you could get them at about 50% off RRP.

Nearly everyone on this thread seems not that keen on these models. I wonder if this is a bold move or whether its a nice earner?

Quote Originally Posted by Hocuspocus View Post
    I'll wait until the Rolex Polytechnic of Wales Special Edition...

Sent from my SM-A202F using TZ-UK mobile app
    Hahaha!

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    As far as I can see, Middo is simply correcting the false assumption that this is Bremont directly producing this...which it is not. An individual has set up a company, has bought the right to add the crests and has approached Bremont to manufacture a batch of 100.

From my days involved with Squadron editions, Bremont used to give the largest discount of all the brands if you ordered enough. IIRC, including VAT, you could get them at about 50% off RRP.

Nearly everyone on this thread seems not that keen on these models. I wonder if this is a bold move or whether its a nice earner?
    I like Bremont as a brand and I like their watches I have no problem with them doing limited editions like you mention and if this a commissioned watch then I have no issues with it. I compared them to CW for similar reasons that as a British brand I wish they would focus more on the watch manufacturing than on the whole limited edition faux British thing that while possibly is interesting to non UK buyers is slightly annoying to British buyers.

Quote Originally Posted by Hocuspocus View Post
    I'll wait until the Rolex Polytechnic of Wales Special Edition...

Sent from my SM-A202F using TZ-UK mobile app
    Sure it won't be as nice as my Teesside Poly Breitling

Someone goes to Bremont with a custom order that Bremont, as would 99% of makers, accept. Cue all the usual suspects lining up to pour scorn on a successful British brand. It really is getting quite boring.
    Perhaps Rolex can be forgiven for the Dominos Pizza watches because good old Hans Wilsdorf once enjoyed a pizza, thus giving them all the history and heritage required to produce such a monstrosity.

Not a fan either. Military body I used to be part of send through an email recently saying they'd done a deal with Bremont for a watch for the organisation. I just don't think any watch is improved by sticking a coat of arms or badge or logo on it that wasn't there when the dial was designed.

Who should I contact about a limited edition run of 100 Borstal Old Boys watches?

Quote Originally Posted by Danstone View Post
    Someone goes to Bremont with a custom order that Bremont, as would 99% of makers, accept. Cue all the usual suspects lining up to pour scorn on a successful British brand. It really is getting quite boring.
    Spot on. Christopher Ward would have done exactly the same.
    Last edited by Christian; 13th May 2020 at 21:11.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Spot on. Christopher award would have done exactly the same.
    Ouch!

Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    Who should I contact about a limited edition run of 100 Borstal Old Boys watches?

North Shropshire College BTEC Class of 92 might be a bit long to get on the dial.

Quote Originally Posted by FrontierGibberish View Post
    Not a fan either. Military body I used to be part of send through an email recently saying they'd done a deal with Bremont for a watch for the organisation. I just don't think any watch is improved by sticking a coat of arms or badge or logo on it that wasn't there when the dial was designed.
    Ah.

There I would beg to differ. A little.

Watches are issued anyway as part of the role so it's only a short step to putting a regimental insignia on there.

I think that's different from simply branding a watch in the same way that you can buy bath towels or tea cosies with a commercial logo.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    Send me two tins of Old Holborn and I'll do the rest.

North Shropshire College BTEC Class of 92 might be a bit long to get on the dial.
    What watch company would shy away from a challenge like that?

Quote Originally Posted by FrontierGibberish View Post
    Thank goodness Comex didn't think like that

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    What watch company would shy away from a challenge like that?
    CHRISTOPHER WARD NORTH SHROPSHIRE COLLEGE BTEC CLASS OF 92 CHRONOMETER GMT LIMITED EDITION.

would be great but I'm not sure I can pull off a 70mm watch.

Great news!

My watchmaker can do this for you. He said it fits perfectly on the dial. He just needs to make a couple of letters smaller. PM if you want to go ahead.

CHRISTOPHER WARD NORTH SHROPSHIRE COLLEGE BTEC CLASS OF 92 CHRONOMETER GMT LIMITED EDITION.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    Are you a Bremont fanboy ?? You're making enough noise to suggest so...

I mean, that's not a crime in itself, of course.
    I don’t even like the watch. Just trying to add some facts to the thread. Not many watch company’s would turn down a large number of units for a bulk sale.

Omega, tag, Breitling, bell and Ross, Oris, Tudor all do this to name but a few.

I am a big Seiko fan but you don’t see me gushing over the Brian May edition it’s horrid.

I am a big Seiko fan but you don’t see me gushing over the Brian May edition it’s horrid.
    Maybe not in public, heaven knows what you might get up to in the privacy of your own bedroom !!

Apprentice
    At least they didn't cheapen the brand too much by putting the Tab's logo on there.

Craftsman
    This is a fair point - however think of other watch brands in the same price point, say Tudor or Breitling. There isn't the same volume of "special editions" and if there is a cross over, then you can see that it makes sense - (e.g. Breitling for Bentley - luxury watch with luxury car). Luxury watch with University with tuition fees and coming out with a chunk of debt afterwards? I'm not convinced.

For me, it's a shame that Bremont's marketing doesn't centre on the watch engineering, the hardened cases, tested watch toughness used in extreme situations, the investment in UK manufacturing capability, the number of components that are made by themselves and where they are in terms of making an entire watch in house, rather than relying on a third party movement. For me, that's a lot more compelling than putting a University seal on the dial or throwing out a "limited" edition every few months.

I don't think someone like Breitling, Omega or Tudor would have let something like this happen and they are Bremont's competitors.

For me, this shows a kind of desperation with the brand. Breitling used to let a dealer in Newark put anything on for the military to their watches and Bremont have taken over.

They just cannot complete at the AD, I spoke to two who said they are tough to shift.

The brand is going to being a gimmick if they carry on like this.

That's 35 characters plus 6 spaces. Could fit nicely on the rehaut rather than the dial.

As an example, the Rolex DSSD has 'Original Gas Escape Valve' & 'Ring Lock System' on the rehaut. That's 36 characters & 5 spaces & there's still plenty of room for a list of 'O' levels gained at night-school!
    ______

​Jim.

Just get the standard Airco MACH2 if you like the look but not the naff logo. Cheaper too.

Quote Originally Posted by TAFKARM View Post
    For me, this shows a kind of desperation with the brand. Breitling used to let a dealer in Newark put anything on for the military to their watches and Bremont have taken over.

They just cannot complete at the AD, I spoke to two who said they are tough to shift.

Apart from their MB2, gimmick is the word I most associate with the brand. They're masters at it.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Quote Originally Posted by TAFKARM View Post

I’m pretty sure Bremont stole the marketshare from Breitling by offering much bigger discounts against RRP for those ordering in bulk. I’ve just looked back at some emails I had from my old aircraft type. People only needed a minimum order of 15 and a £4495 RRP model came down to £2395 to those that signed up. Every time the “limited edition” discussion came up in the crewroom, it was all about perceived value....people would immediately go for Bremont because of the much bigger discount and potential to “earn them” money by selling for a greater price than they paid at a later date.

Always reminded me of the Klaus Kobec adverts of the 1990’s:

[Delboy] We don't wanna charge ya ten pand.

We don't even wanna charge ya five pand.

We'll charge ya two quid, apres la deluge my son.[\Delboy]

[Rodney] Quick, it's the rozzers.[\Rodney]

Great news!

My watchmaker can do this for you. He said it fits perfectly on the dial. He just needs to make a couple of letters smaller. PM if you want to go ahead.

I do not feel that this funny has had enough recognition. So: LOL.

The Airco itself isn't a bad watch, a bit "meh" for me but that's just a taste thing. The Oxford crest etc is just utterly ghastly, and I'd view anyone I saw wearing one as a tourist or an Oxford Walt. It's a bit like the Old Etonian tie - nobody ever wears one in public if they expect to be taken seriously.

Thomas Reid
    Quote Originally Posted by PreacherCain View Post
    I do not feel that this funny has had enough recognition. So: LOL.

The Airco itself isn't a bad watch, a bit "meh" for me but that's just a taste thing. The Oxford crest etc is just utterly ghastly, and I'd view anyone I saw wearing one as a tourist or an Oxford Walt. It's a bit like the Old Etonian tie - nobody ever wears one in public if they expect to be taken seriously.
    Absolutely.

Best wishes,
    Bob

Great news!

Almost spat some beer on my laptop here (Little Ox Wipeout, for those who like detail).

Quote Originally Posted by rfrazier View Post
    Absolutely.

Best wishes,
    Bob
    Glad we see eye-to-eye... ;-)

Best,

Preacher