closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Anyone bought a MacBook Air 2020...

Master

Anyone bought a MacBook Air 2020...

...who had the previous 2019 model?

I’m wondering if the new magic keyboard really makes as big a difference as the reviews seem to suggest?

There are some deals on the 2019 one around now so trying to figure out which one to go for.

Master
    I bought one and received it last week. It is for my wife, so I haven't used it yet. I have a 2018 model for work. I had a 2017 MacBook Pro with the keyboard problem. I'll have a play later and see if I can notice any difference.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gerrudd View Post
    I bought one and received it last week. It is for my wife, so I haven't used it yet. I have a 2018 model for work. I had a 2017 MacBook Pro with the keyboard problem. I'll have a play later and see if I can notice any difference.
    Thanks, appreciated.

I'd try stick to the new one but mainly due to the massive issues the old one suffers with and how hard/expensive/time consuming it is to repair.

I wouldn't fancy being stuck in an Apple store queuing up for an appointment 2-3x per year (4-6x inc collection) because the most minute but of dust got under the key and the entire bottom case needs to be replaced.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    I'd try stick to the new one but mainly due to the massive issues the old one suffers with and how hard/expensive/time consuming it is to repair.

I wouldn't fancy being stuck in an Apple store queuing up for an appointment 2-3x per year (4-6x inc collection) because the most minute but of dust got under the key and the entire bottom case needs to be replaced.
    That's a known issue then is it with the previous keyboard? The comparisons I saw just mentioned the differences in tactile quality etc.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gcleminson View Post
    That's a known issue then is it with the previous keyboard? The comparisons I saw just mentioned the differences in tactile quality etc.
    Oh god yes. Google 'apple butterfly keyboard'. Apple issued recalls/free repairs etc etc.

Interested to hear how OP gets on with the new MBA - there have been initial reports of very high (100 deg C +) running temps. The cooling architecture is not the same as MBP. I am considering replacing my 2009 MBP with the new MBA but I have some pretty high usage apps and i'm unsure it will cope, even though that it has far newer processors & more powerful RAM.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rico View Post
    Oh god yes. Google 'apple butterfly keyboard'. Apple issued recalls/free repairs etc etc.

Interested to hear how OP gets on with the new MBA - there have been initial reports of very high (100 deg C +) running temps. The cooling architecture is not the same as MBP. I am considering replacing my 2009 MBP with the new MBA but I have some pretty high usage apps and i'm unsure it will cope, even though that it has far newer processors & more powerful RAM.
    Ah, I see. And Apple being Apple I don’t suppose you could retrofit a magic keyboard to a 2019 MBA..?

Master
    Yes and it’s a world apart, I have the 16” MacBook Pro and a new 13” pro arriving this week. I had no air but returned it as they upgraded the MBP to the new keyBoard. Great to type in the short time I had it and felt faster, also they had doubled the HDD.
    In apples defence I have never had any issues with the previous keyboard.

Ah, I see. And Apple being Apple I don’t suppose you could retrofit a magic keyboard to a 2019 MBA..?
    Nope - gotta pay the Apple tax....the whole debacle has made me contemplate moving back to Windows as I'm hunting for a new machine, alas Apple are not the same rock solid Apple of old in the laptop world.

Interesting about the butterfly key issue, news to me - I lucked out buying my Pro in 2015. Off the back of this thread I looked up the new model expecting a massive price increase from 2015 (when I bought mine for £1k). It's not "that bad" comparatively, £1299 for the same 13" model.

So, despite the 2020 model getting a new keyboard, it sounds like it now has a cooling issue. I think I'll hang on the for the next update.

Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    Interesting about the butterfly key issue, news to me - I lucked out buying my Pro in 2015. Off the back of this thread I looked up the new model expecting a massive price increase from 2015 (when I bought mine for £1k). It's not "that bad" comparatively, £1299 for the same 13" model.

So, despite the 2020 model getting a new keyboard, it sounds like it now has a cooling issue. I think I'll hang on the for the next update.
    No, the £1300 13" Pro is not really a Pro model IMO - 8th gen older chipset and overall the specs are weak. There is a leap to the latest 10th gen. Compare with the that and you have £1800.

Master
    I recently bought a MacBook Pro 2019 and I am mightily impressed with it. It seems bombproof in every respect and I have since decided to go 100% Apple as it is just so much better than the other stuff. I recently bought a iPhone 11 and will be buying a 27" iMac the moment we get back to the UK.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Good timing as I’m about to upgrade our 2012 MacbookAir and have pretty much decided on the the New MacBook Pro 13 but with the 10th Gen Intel and 16GB Memory. Sounds like it ought to be ideal. Interesting to read the above note on operating temps on the new MBA which I was tempted by.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I have recently got a 13" MBA 2019 256Gb which is lightning compared to the 13" MBP 750Gb (hard drive) it replaced. The keys are very low profile compared to that, but I've had no issues so far.
    My daughter has just got a 13" MBA 2020 256Gb, £899 (I think) from the education store as an early graduation present (she better pass!) to replace a 2014ish 11" MBA and again, it's much faster.
    The keys on the 2020 are definitely higher and yes, more 'tactile', the 2019 is so low profile it almost feels like a touch keyboard, well sort of.
    I think the 2020 is better for typing feel and she hasn't mentioned anything about it getting hot, but I'll ask her.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by westy View Post
    I have recently got a 13" MBA 2019 256Gb which is lightning compared to the 13" MBP 750Gb (hard drive) it replaced. The keys are very low profile compared to that, but I've had no issues so far.
    My daughter has just got a 13" MBA 2020 256Gb, £899 (I think) from the education store as an early graduation present (she better pass!) to replace a 2014ish 11" MBA and again, it's much faster.
    The keys on the 2020 are definitely higher and yes, more 'tactile', the 2019 is so low profile it almost feels like a touch keyboard, well sort of.
    I think the 2020 is better for typing feel and she hasn't mentioned anything about it getting hot, but I'll ask her.
    Perfect. Thanks

Had one for about a week - much better than my 2019 model in pretty much every way. Keyboard always felt 'odd', like it was not a proper press of the key but it typed (if that makes sense). The 2020 is much better.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

I must have been really lucky with my 2016 13” MacBook then because I’ve never had an issue with the keyboard.

The Bluetooth has just packed up though. That’s going to require a trip to an apple store when things calm down. None of the common fixes are working.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I'm using the new 2020 MBA to replace a 2015 MBP, its brilliant for me and I'm unlikely to return to a MBP based on initial two weeks use.

Keyboard is excellent and the touch-pad is a lot better.

I haven't bought one, but have been working on one since the end of March and 'lockdown'. The company bought hundreds of them to enable us all to work from home.

I've never worked on a laptop before but it's been a capable piece of kit and is handling all my InDesign and Photoshop work with ease. I'm plugged into a proper keyboard and monitor most of the day but have sat with it on my lap of an evening. The keyboard is reassuringly 'clicky' and I've got used to all the different finger methods of using the track pad.

I've got no experience of a MacBook Pro but the way the Air is working for me, I can't imagine why I'd need one?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Had one for about a week - much better than my 2019 model in pretty much every way. Keyboard always felt 'odd', like it was not a proper press of the key but it typed (if that makes sense). The 2020 is much better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    I haven't bought one, but have been working on one since the end of March and 'lockdown'. The company bought hundreds of them to enable us all to work from home.

I've never worked on a laptop before but it's been a capable piece of kit and is handling all my InDesign and Photoshop work with ease. I'm plugged into a proper keyboard and monitor most of the day but have sat with it on my lap of an evening. The keyboard is reassuringly 'clicky' and I've got used to all the different finger methods of using the track pad.

I've got no experience of a MacBook Pro but the way the Air is working for me, I can't imagine why I'd need one?
    Thanks Chaps. Neither of you noticed the overheating / excessive fan issues that have been reported?

Craftsman
    2020 Air - keyboard is a massive improvement, certainly worth it over the earlier models.

It runs very hot when using processor intensive software/games - no issues yet though.

Thanks Chaps. Neither of you noticed the overheating / excessive fan issues that have been reported?
    I have the laptop closed all day while working through the monitor and I won't even know it's there.

However, we have Zoom/Teams/Skype meetings that require me to open the book and use the camera. I have noticed the fans start whirring after about half an hour of video conference. I never gave it much thought but it does seem a bit strange on reflection.

When I've used it in the evenings for browsing and emails or whatever, it hasn't made a sound, and that's been up to two or three hours use.

I'll keep an eye on it and report back any more issues.

Just found this artice:

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Does-t....462161.0.html
    Last edited by Onelasttime; 13th May 2020 at 12:46.

Master
    I use Zoom for about 90 minutes for a once a month session. The laptop has always remained cool with no hint of overheating.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    I use Zoom for about 90 minutes for a once a month session. The laptop has always remained cool with no hint of overheating.
    Is it a MacBook Air 2020 model?

EDIT: Just seen your earlier post – so 2019 MacBook Pro.
    Last edited by Onelasttime; 13th May 2020 at 12:47.

Journeyman
    Using a 2017 13" MBP for work...when charging, it gets pretty warm - great for warming your hands on a cold day. An hour long Teams call will drain my battery from 100% to 5% and sound like its taking off.

But never had a problem with the keyboard though.

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Fun fact when I worked at Apple you weren't allowed to use the word hot. No product ever got hot, instead it got warm or sometimes very warm. Take from that what you will and not sure if they can say that now.

OP if possible try the new 13" Pro. Same pricing as the old but double the storage. If you were looking at the i3 Air it isn't too much more and if you were looking at the i5 it's the same price.

As a very simplistic guide:
    i3 = consumer
    i5 = prosumer
    i7 = pro

Also back when I worked at Apple we didn't sell anything i3 and because they were "pieces of s***" so that would put me off entirely.

The heating occurs because of throttling which does seem to happen fast on the Air - if you are worrying about the throttling, then you probably need the Pro. Any Lightroom, Photoshop or power products will mean you need the Pro. And if you need a Pro, then the basic old 8th Gen Pro will likely not be adequate and you really need the £1800 10th Gen version.

So choice is basically a higher spec Air or the 10th Gen Pro.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Would the £1800 MBP be considered a step up from the new MBA? It is about £300 more expensive than a similar spec MBA. Sorry for the thread hijack!

Quote Originally Posted by IdiotAbroad View Post
    Would the £1800 MBP be considered a step up from the new MBA? It is about £300 more expensive than a similar spec MBA. Sorry for the thread hijack!

They may seem similarly specced but they are not. The Air throttles very quickly and only has one fan for cooling. The chips are also not quite the same - the MBP has a 25W chip. The monitor has a wider gamut and is also brighter on the MBP. You also get 4 thunderbolt port on the higher MBP.

Honestly though, £1800 is a lot. I do need to get a new laptop and it'd have to be the MBP - but I use lightroom and photoshop a fair bit and my old 12" macbook is sufficient for general web use still.

I'm seriously considering a Windows machine, the new dell xps 13" is as good and £300 or so cheaper. But if you're wedded to Apple, you have to pay the Apple tax.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    They may seem similarly specced but they are not. The Air throttles very quickly and only has one fan for cooling. The chips are also not quite the same - the MBP has a 25W chip. The monitor has a wider gamut and is also brighter on the MBP. You also get 4 thunderbolt port on the higher MBP.

Honestly though, £1800 is a lot. I do need to get a new laptop and it'd have to be the MBP - but I use lightroom and photoshop a fair bit and my old 12" macbook is sufficient for general web use still.

I'm seriously considering a Windows machine, the new dell xps 13" is as good and £300 or so cheaper. But if you're wedded to Apple, you have to pay the Apple tax.
    Thanks. I buy a laptop every 5yrs or so (just said goodbye to our 2012 MBA!) so I’m hoping for a good innings from the replacement.

I’m definitely Apple (iMac/ iPhone/ iPad etc), so will stick to it. Agree £1800 is a lot but even from my layman research the entry level MBP seems lower spec than the new MBA. Hence I’d rather pay that bit extra for a really solid machine. Sounds like the £1800 version, though expensive, might be the one. Thanks for the tech detail!

Master
    To the OP, I don't notice that much of a difference with the newer keyboard, but the travel is better. The main thing s the supposedly have addressed the underlying issues that caused keyboard failures.

I moved form a Pro to an Air. You notice the performance difference with lots of application open. When I first changed over my Air would literally grin to a halt. I'm not much better about what I have open at the same time. The Pro has a lot more "grunt."

Master
    Can the SSD be added to / upgraded in the Macbook Pro? I know it can't in the Air. You lot have got me looking at Pro's now... :)

Currys are doing the 13" Macbook Pro i5 quad core (2019) 128 GB for £1099. What you reckon?

also, did Apple skip a generation? Did it go from 8th Gen to 10th Gen with the Pro??

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Can the SSD be added to / upgraded in the Macbook Pro? I know it can't in the Air. You lot have got me looking at Pro's now... :)

Currys are doing the 13" Macbook Pro i5 quad core (2019) 128 GB for £1099. What you reckon?

also, did Apple skip a generation? Did it go from 8th Gen to 10th Gen with the Pro??
    You can spec up to 4TB SSD on the Pro on the Apple site (for a mere £1,200 extra!)

Quote Originally Posted by IdiotAbroad View Post
    Thanks. I buy a laptop every 5yrs or so (just said goodbye to our 2012 MBA!) so I’m hoping for a good innings from the replacement.

I’m definitely Apple (iMac/ iPhone/ iPad etc), so will stick to it. Agree £1800 is a lot but even from my layman research the entry level MBP seems lower spec than the new MBA. Hence I’d rather pay that bit extra for a really solid machine. Sounds like the £1800 version, though expensive, might be the one. Thanks for the tech detail!

My frustration is that in the previous generations the base PRO offered all that you would need. The upgraded versions were for the real power users - last year's was a great example. In this generation, the base model is so sub-par relative to the 10th gen model - old gen chip set, slower RAM, 2 ports etc. It seems clear Apple saw that they sold very fewer higher specced models and basically reversed the strategy to get more people to upgrade!

8th to 9th was incremental - the 16" PRO has the 9th gen.

Honestly the new keyboard is such a big factor, frankly Apple should have sorted this out last year. Besides the Curry's doesn't look that great value tbh.

Journeyman
    So I have the 2019 MacBook Pro and recently bought the Air for the missus. The keyboard in the Air is 10 times better. There's more travel and tactile feedback, plus seems better built than the Pro version...which is notorious for issues.

One drawback of the Air is that it does run a little hotter than others, because apparently Apple didn't connect the heat sink to the fan for some strange reason.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Master

I can't believe that a 128GB hard drive was even an option - it's laughable.

Craftsman
    I really think that Apple have given up on Mac's and Macbooks. They make almost all of their money from iOS products, and seem to only begrudgingly give any Mac updates at all.

The fact that we are talking about the major upgrade of their 2020 line is the keyboard, that should of been that way from the beginning, or at very least as soon as they got the feedback. To me that says it all, that and they are moving the iPad pro closer and closer to a Mac replacement. I think they are looing for an excuse to kill the Mac line of products.

Quote Originally Posted by Happyal View Post
    I really think that Apple have given up on Mac's and Macbooks. They make almost all of their money from iOS products, and seem to only begrudgingly give any Mac updates at all.

The fact that we are talking about the major upgrade of their 2020 line is the keyboard, that should of been that way from the beginning, or at very least as soon as they got the feedback. To me that says it all, that and they are moving the iPad pro closer and closer to a Mac replacement. I think they are looing for an excuse to kill the Mac line of products.
    That really is a horrible thought for people like me who use them as a professional work tool. I agree that they haven’t been great at creating professional machines recently - top end iMac maybe excepted - but i’d like to think that i’ll still be using them in 20 years time. The thought of having to go to PC doesn’t bear thinking about..

Quote Originally Posted by vulcangascompany View Post
    That really is a horrible thought for people like me who use them as a professional work tool. I agree that they haven’t been great at creating professional machines recently - top end iMac maybe excepted - but i’d like to think that i’ll still be using them in 20 years time. The thought of having to go to PC doesn’t bear thinking about..
    Apple gave up on the professionals a long time ago. The new 15 and 17 inch XPS models are trying to step up but we'll see. I'm hoping their saving grace for me will be a sweet 14 inch ARM based MBP.

This video might be interesting if you're looking at a MacBook right now. Dave2D is a very well respected tech reviewer.

https://youtu.be/ynyKcAvvQ1w

Craftsman
    Still a month of quite hard use still very pleased with my 2020 MBA as a replacement for previous 2015 MBP.

Fan did kick in yesterday during a lengthy zoom event, but not intrusive or a problem.