closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Washing the shopping - ott or ok?

Master

Washing the shopping - ott or ok?

Mrs. Walakalulu insists on the weekly shop items to be washed with soap and water before storing. Also the post is left a few days to “decontaminate”. I’m not disputing that this may be sensible but is such behaviour common?

Depends on your personal situation I think...your overall exposure and the potential severity of outcome if you caught the virus.

If you are shielding, older than 80, have an underlying health condition or are particularly unfit then it could be seen as an effective barrier because in that case it’s one of very few routes to catching the virus.

I think for others who are out and about working or who catching coronavirus isn’t as statistically high a risk of complication I wouldn’t bother. Personally, I’ve only been in lockdown because it’s mandated for the greater good. If it was just about me, I’m not that bothered about catching it and would just use hand washing/not touching my face as the main barrier against a most likely outcome of a week feeling a bit poorly.

Last edited by Christian; 23rd May 2020 at 14:19.

I do this as does my partner (vulnerable to chest infections pneumonia) at her place as do my self isolating parents.
    Dettol spray/antiviral wipes. Tins/boxes/non-perishables I just leave in a box by the door for a few days.
    At the moment none of us are visiting shops and it’s all delivered.

It serves 2 purposes, partly not worrying about getting CV-19 and then minimising the very small risk. I do think the former not the latter is of more benefit though.

The risks are outlined here: https://www.bfr.bund.de/en/can_the_n...s_-244090.html

Having seen how the staff and customers behave in the supermarket with touching things and putting them back and checkout staff wearing gloves but then pulling out snotty hankies and wiping their nose then scanning your shopping I’m happy to keep doing this.

I appreciate the risk is small and that many people are just carrying on as normal.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I do that and leave them in the sun.

I did it with a bar of choccy the wrapper was porous and it made me sick so had to bin it,delicate items I spray onto a cloth and wipe now.

you cant be to careful.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    On the whole I think it is ott, as is quarantining post. I sort of wonder if people are planning to do this for the rest of time?

That said, if it makes you feel happier and less vulnerable then go for it.

I never used to, but the Mrs has brow beaten me...
    Now carry one of these in the van... spray it as soon as it’s in the van, and also even spray some materials when I collect....!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    On the whole I think it is ott, as is quarantining post. I sort of wonder if people are planning to do this for the rest of time?
    I think that’s a good point. I don’t think coronavirus is ever really going away now as I really think the vaccine might never happen. If coronavirus stresses you, maybe you could adjust your risk management like quarantining post dependent on where we are in relation to a peak.

Master

That said, if it makes you feel happier and less vulnerable then go for it.
    I’d agree with this. We put all the shopping away and then wash hands and open the post and wash hands.

Blog Entries
    ok.

We disinfect non-porous packaging before storage. Wash fruit / veg in water as we would in any case. As noted ingesting soap / disinfectant can make you ill.

Why? Because direct contact is the most common form of transmission (apparently) rather than airbourne so we try and clean anything that comes into our house while COVID19 is prevalent, as well as washing hands thoroughly after coming home and wiping down external door handle periodically with disinfectant.

I’d rather my wife does not die - I don’t need to explain my full families health position to a public forum. But we’d rather be than safe than dead

(I’m amazed how the supermarket staff in that enclosed space don’t social distance, often standing within inches of each other chatting, don’t wear any face covering - but they are the ones that stay longest in the supermarket and are stacking the shelves with stuff we then take home).
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 23rd May 2020 at 16:33. Reason: Extra bit

Master
    I just hope when all this is over that guys in particular remember the importance of washing their hands after answering a call of nature. It isn’t somehow optional because you’ve “only” taken a leak. A woman friend and colleague has also told me more than once that some women in our workplace aren’t especially scrupulous about washing their hands after a toilet break, either. It isn’t just Covid-19 we can catch from those around us.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Slamdoor View Post
    Mrs. Walakalulu insists on the weekly shop items to be washed with soap and water before storing. Also the post is left a few days to “decontaminate”. I’m not disputing that this may be sensible but is such behaviour common?
    We wipe down all shopping with wipes. Unimportant looking post is left a few days too, anything else is opened and dealt with and then hands washed.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    One of the silver linings of the lockdown is shops now insisting you pay by card. Paper money is a disgusting thing to carry on you and then pass around. It is bug ridden after a few days use and you don't know who was using it a couple of day ago. It is one of those revolting habits that people never even think about.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    I do think that there is a distinct danger of people disinfecting themselves and the world they live in to a point that natural resistance to bugs etc are greatly diminished.
    As I said previous, if people want to do that then that's their prerogative but I think there comes a time when you have to choose between living in a bubble or living in the world.

The cash money is an interesting side effect, at least for me. I have always liked to have some cash on me and felt strange if I had an empty wallet. Since most businesses went contactless then I have now become much more comfortable being cash free. That said I haven't personally got a problem with using notes if that's what is required. For instance,gutter bloke asked for cash so that's how I paid him. I sold something via Gumtree and a bloke came round with a bunch of ten pound notes. Somehow I managed to stop myself running away screaming

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    One of the silver linings of the lockdown is shops now insisting you pay by card. Paper money is a disgusting thing to carry on you and then pass around. It is bug ridden after a few days use and you don't know who was using it a couple of day ago. It is one of those revolting habits that people never even think about.
    This crisis has turned a lot of people into Howard Hughes. I wonder if this is permanent?

Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    Dettol spray/antiviral wipes.
    Is there such a thing as antiviral wipes? Anti bacterial wipes are not the same thing.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Ther is a much easier way to do this for stuff which isn't fridged or frozen.

Keep the shopping in its bags and leave it in a spare room or garage for 72 hours, by which time any virus will be unable to survive. Same with masks, don't touch them it's a crazy idea. Instead quarantine them for a 3 days if you can.

We are out of lockdown in Cyprus
    Still use 4/1 alcohol/ water spray to all shopping
    Today no covid 19 incidents reported

Thomas Reid
    Should I stop biting coins to see whether they are good?

Best wishes,
    Bob

PS We put stuff coming into the house in "quarantine" for a few days, or open things onto a clean surface, wearing gloves and not allowing the packaging to touch the clean surface. Admittedly, a bit ott, but the cost in time, etc., is very low.
    RLF

Blog Entries
    Last month we bought a rechargeable UV-C 20LED sterilising wand from Amazon, it has the correct Far-UVC frequency range of 207-222 nm which does kill SARS-Cov-2 when used correctly. It is a decent sized folding wand and we scan all of our shopping with it which is a bit laborious but worth the effort. Apart from the teeth-gritting price of over Ł100 for the unit, it was a good buy and SWMBO is happy with it, as I am.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    ok.

We disinfect non-porous packaging before storage. Wash fruit / veg in water as we would in any case. As noted ingesting soap / disinfectant can make you ill.
    We also do this. To be honest it's no real hardship. For how long we do though is to be seen.

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

I think it's OTT and we don't do it. Handwashing is important but then it always was.
    I think it reduces an already very low risk but, as per MrSmith, if it also reduces someone's worry level and helps them cope better in this difficult time, I'm certainly not going to tell anyone not to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    I think that’s a good point. I don’t think coronavirus is ever really going away now as I really think the vaccine might never happen. If coronavirus stresses you, maybe you could adjust your risk management like quarantining post dependent on where we are in relation to a peak.
    I'll put Ł50 into the fundraiser if we don't have a viable vaccine being injected into humans by end October this year. And I also don't think it will even be that necessary as we've seen several countries who have reopened a while back see their new infection rates either diminish to a minuscule amount (Denmark, Norway, Thailand) or in some cases be eradicated altogether (Slovenia). This coronavirus strangely seems to be acting like a coronavirus and burning out after the initial boom! I'm not going into the details as it ends up going off the rails as ma y people have been scared to death by irresponsible media reporting suffice to say I'm happy to put my money where my mouth is :)

Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    I think it's OTT and we don't do it. Handwashing is important but then it always was.
    I think it reduces an already very low risk but, as per MrSmith, if it also reduces someone's worry level and helps them cope better in this difficult time, I'm certainly not going to tell anyone not to do it.
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by KavKav View Post
    Last month we bought a rechargeable UV-C 20LED sterilising wand from Amazon, it has the correct Far-UVC frequency range of 207-222 nm which does kill SARS-Cov-2 when used correctly. It is a decent sized folding wand and we scan all of our shopping with it which is a bit laborious but worth the effort. Apart from the teeth-gritting price of over Ł100 for the unit, it was a good buy and SWMBO is happy with it, as I am.

Sadly, you have probably wasted your money, these are mostly unproven and not properly evaluated.
    Last edited by Chris_in_the_UK; 23rd May 2020 at 19:55.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

I test all my shopping for Corona, if it’s positive I wash it thoroughly first, and if not I put it straight in the fridge and cupboards.
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    We wipe down all shopping with wipes. Unimportant looking post is left a few days too, anything else is opened and dealt with and then hands washed.
    Same here, although I do wonder whether it is viable longer term, assuming no vaccine is developed...and I yes, how does and anti-bac wipe/gel work against a virus?

I do think that there is a distinct danger of people disinfecting themselves and the world they live in to a point that natural resistance to bugs etc are greatly diminished.
    True, but that ship has long since sailed.

Master
    Maybe I’ll be flamed but I do nothing different
    I go to work every day - wash my hands when I visit the toilet
    , when I get to work and when I get home and before I prep or eat my food
    Am I wrong?

The only town in Britain with Caesar's name
    We open post, parcels shopping bags and then wash our hands.

I may be wrong, but I seem to recollect reading something where all these domestic disinfectants and bacterial wipes need contact time for them to work. A simple spray and wipe has limited effect.

As I say I could be wrong?

B

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    I'll put Ł50 into the fundraiser if we don't have a viable vaccine being injected into humans by end October this year... This coronavirus strangely seems to be acting like a coronavirus and burning out after the initial boom!
    Two competing issues, the race to find a virus and the rate at which the virus 'burns out'. There is a real risk that not enough of the people who are given the 'control' in the ph3 clinical trials will contract CV-19 which will leave us not knowing if it works or not. That's great if it's gone for good but what if it comes back? This could be a stop/start vaccine development.

Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    Maybe I’ll be flamed but I do nothing different
    I go to work every day - wash my hands when I visit the toilet
    , when I get to work and when I get home and before I prep or eat my food
    Am I wrong?
    Not at all, particularly with the current virus rate in the south east. You are doing the one thing that has the biggest effect at reducing transmission...washing your hands.

Everybody's situation is different. There are a lot of people on TZ who consider themselves in the at risk category and have a different risk tolerance accordingly.

Master
    I guess truth is nobody knows. I wipe down items that we bring in from supermarket. More to comfort ourselves than anything scientific.

We do quarantine parcels and letters before bringing in to the house.

The common quoted advice is that there is no evidence virus can be transmitted on the packaging...i interpret that as there is no evidence that it can't either! If an amazon deliver driver has the virus and sneezes on the parcel 5 mins before delivering it to me and I touch it...well, I wouldn't want to take that risk. Hand washing aside.

We can only but try to mitigate risk I guess...the rest is out of our hands.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Be careful re: your eyes - UV isn’t great for them!

Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    I just hope when all this is over that guys in particular remember the importance of washing their hands after answering a call of nature. It isn’t somehow optional because you’ve “only” taken a leak. A woman friend and colleague has also told me more than once that some women in our workplace aren’t especially scrupulous about washing their hands after a toilet break, either. It isn’t just Covid-19 we can catch from those around us.
    I’m totally in agreement - however, go back maybe 100 years and I can’t imagine people washed their hands after every toilet visit, and did they all drop like flies? I agree during the current pandemic, but I suspect the average mans mobile phone screen has more germs than his willy! (Sure I’ve read this somewhere, your phone is far dirtier than the average toilet seat too) - there’s a thin line between cleanliness and germophobia!!

Master
    I'll put Ł50 into the fundraiser if we don't have a viable vaccine being injected into humans by end October this year. And I also don't think it will even be that necessary as we've seen several countries who have reopened a while back see their new infection rates either diminish to a minuscule amount (Denmark, Norway, Thailand) or in some cases be eradicated altogether (Slovenia). This coronavirus strangely seems to be acting like a coronavirus and burning out after the initial boom! I'm not going into the details as it ends up going off the rails as ma y people have been scared to death by irresponsible media reporting suffice to say I'm happy to put my money where my mouth is :)
    I was listening to some professor on the radio last week , the interesting point he made was the labs have been working on a vaccine for SARS for the last 18 years and they haven’t found one yet. So hopefully your October brings an end to it.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Thomas Reid
    Quote Originally Posted by aa388 View Post
    I was listening to some professor on the radio last week , the interesting point he made was the labs have been working on a vaccine for SARS for the last 18 years and they haven’t found one yet. So hopefully your October brings an end to it.

There haven't been any known cases of SARS in the last 15 years, so the social/political pressure and, consequently, money available are quite different.

Best wishes,
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by aa388 View Post

They didn't need to as SARS burned out and there weren't enough people infected to make it such a huge issue. The fact the Oxford vaccine is so far down the track is because it basically uses the foundation of a viable MERS vaccine that has passed human safety checks and adapted it for SARS COV2 which by all accounts is a relatively simple virus to immunised against due to its stability. We have coronavirus vaccines already for livestock and cats so science knows what it's doing here.

But I.suspect this will burn out pretty soon also

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    I’m totally in agreement - however, go back maybe 100 years and I can’t imagine people washed their hands after every toilet visit, and did they all drop like flies? I agree during the current pandemic, but I suspect the average mans mobile phone screen has more germs than his willy! (Sure I’ve read this somewhere, your phone is far dirtier than the average toilet seat too) - there’s a thin line between cleanliness and germophobia!!

I've always thought...go to a urinal in somewhere like a shopping centre or airport and you usually don't have to touch anything other than your own tackle. It used to be a bit gross for others if you dont wash your hands, but in todays world where we don't shake hands, its probably safer not washing your hands and touching a tap.

They didn't need to as SARS burned out and there weren't enough people infected to make it such a huge issue. The fact the Oxford vaccine is so far down the track is because it basically uses the foundation of a viable MERS vaccine that has passed human safety checks and adapted it for SARS COV2 which by all accounts is a relatively simple virus to immunised against due to its stability. We have coronavirus vaccines already for livestock and cats so science knows what it's doing here.

The proper work on SARS stopped ages ago.

Shopping gets wiped here, always has been even prior to COVID; I'm OCD AF though.

After shopping, we just wash our hands and put the grub away. Parcels are no risk either.
    My young daughter makes me laugh, she leaves the parcels outside for a day so the CV dies off. One of many snowflakes 
    Last edited by Rod; 23rd May 2020 at 20:21.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    Be careful re: your eyes - UV isn’t great for them!
    You are quite correct! I was pleased to note the safety precaution of this wand where if you turn it more than 45 degrees from the downward facing position, it cuts off for that very reason.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Sadly, you have probably wasted your money, these are mostly unproven and not properly evaluated.
    I think not Chris but I accept the fact that the effectiveness may not be clinically ‘proven’. UV-C light however is considered ‘serious badass’ to viruses.

(UV-C light can penetrate the cells of pathogens and damage the DNA or RNA that contain their genetic code, said Jim Malley, an environmental engineer at the University of New Hampshire. )There’s also evidence that UV-C damages the amino acids and proteins that either protect the virus or allow it to attach to and infect a host cell.

Master
    Blog Entries
    if we take the precautions we do and they turn out to be unnecessary then no harm done.

we wont know for some time if at all, but as another 3,000 died yesterday I will do all I can to survive and also not infect others.

I think not Chris but I accept the fact that the effectiveness may not be clinically ‘proven’. UV-C light however is considered ‘serious badass’ to viruses.

(UV-C light can penetrate the cells of pathogens and damage the DNA or RNA that contain their genetic code, said Jim Malley, an environmental engineer at the University of New Hampshire. )There’s also evidence that UV-C damages the amino acids and proteins that either protect the virus or allow it to attach to and infect a host cell.
    My comment was born out a few local council trading standards officers advising against them and the Canadian Medical Journal have published doubts about their usefulness.

Master
    I don't wash my hands having been out and about. Alcohol gel at entrance to the Tesco, pass. It is all to each their own.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Slamdoor View Post
    Personally I have been wiping everything I bring in from Tesco with a cloth dampened by a cleaning spray or a surface wipe, except for non-perishable items which in some cases I just leave in the shopping bag for 24 hours or more. I may stop doing that in a couple of weeks when the risk of bringing in an infectious dose will, I hope, be very slight.

I unwrap what can be, eg red peppers in a bag, anything else is wiped down with surgical spirit. Partner is vulnerable to pneumonia after chemo some years ago so why take a chance for 5 minutes of faff.

It’s good we have your expect knowledge in the field. What is the burn out time scale may I ask?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by miguelh34 View Post
    It’s good we have your expect knowledge in the field. What is the burn out time scale may I ask?
    Tsk. Give the man some credit. He is an expert after all.... Not just some guy sat at home panic buying face masks thinking he is all that.